Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Frame mounted alternator..

Post Thanks / Like

Frame mounted alternator..

Hey all,

I'm looking into mounting my alternator to the frame, not the motor (SBC btw). The frame is in the way for mid or low mounts, so I'm stuck with the alternator waving high in the air or WAY off to the side (and still high).

Given we have a solid mounted motor, I'm thinking it'll work.. and as far as I know, alternators can spin either way. (The fan is directional, sure, but mine is open to the elements, I'm not worried about cooling)

Anyone done this?

Lower is better for roll center too, these things aren't light

This is my planned location.

frame mount.jpg

Thoughts?
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    If you really want a clean look under the hood You might think about a alt mounted (runs off the driveshaft) on the rear axle. be warned if you spend a lot of time stopped in traffic idling this might not be the best option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ford & Jeep Fan View Post
    If you really want a clean look under the hood You might think about a alt mounted (runs off the driveshaft) on the rear axle. be warned if you spend a lot of time stopped in traffic idling this might not be the best option.
    It’s not for a clean look per se, my car isn’t even painted

It’s for function.. the bracket I have today has a lot of flex in it and it’s hard to even keep the pulleys lined up at different rpm’s.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, the coyote is mounted backwards, although it is on the engine. Go for it. You might have problems keeping the belt on it it flexes too much when you torque the engine unless there is a spring loaded tensioner.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

5. Likes RoadRacer liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Are you running a short or long water pump?
    > I'm running the long water pump on my SBC powered MK-4 and have a simple setup from March.
    > The alternator is on the passenger side of the car mounted in a pretty high position.
    > I'm only running an alternator and have no power steering or AC.
    Could this work for you or do you have the short water pump?

https://marchperformance.com/chevy/c...e-22011-c.html
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-05-2023 at 06:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m short water pump. No ps or AC either but I can’t find anything else that’s as low (or as tidy) as what I’m doing with the frame mount. The 33 frame literally wraps the engine it’s so tight.
    James

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    I’m short water pump. No ps or AC either but I can’t find anything else that’s as low (or as tidy) as what I’m doing with the frame mount. The 33 frame literally wraps the engine it’s so tight.
    Ugh!...I've got nothing for suggestions....Darn!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-05-2023 at 08:09 AM.

9. Likes RoadRacer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Take a look at the ultra mini alternators from East Coast Auto Electric. I have one on the Hemi in my Speedstar. You may find you can mount it down low like mine.

IMG_20231105_114505132.jpg

11. Thanks RoadRacer thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It worked out well. I used an old generic sbc mount, and bolted to chassis, then tested it out - worked perfectly through the rev range. I need to find a ~42" belt now, and weld a tab to the chassis for the adjuster.

but the theory worked out well, and was very easy.

frame-alt1.jpg frame-alt2.jpg
    James

13. Likes JimLev, TxMike64, 33fromSD, Ltfracing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job. I tried to like your post but when I click it the thanks and like links disappear and it says 2 likes and won't add mine. Wierd.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

15. Thanks RoadRacer thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Steve's Stupid Question:

Is it spinning the alternator the correct direction?
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-08-2023 at 01:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Steve's Stupid Question:

Is it spinning the alternator the correct direction?
    No, but alternators work either way. It doesn’t reverse polarity like you’d think. Something about actually AC internally and diode(s) convert to DC and spin direction isn’t relevant.
    James

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    No, but alternators work either way. It doesn’t reverse polarity like you’d think. Something about actually AC internally and diode(s) convert to DC and spin direction isn’t relevant.
    Something I Did Not Know!
    Thanks & Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    It's because the alternator produces a sine wave which is produced by the spin in either direction and then the diodes convert it to DC. That's why it's called an alternator for alternating current. The old generators did produce DC.

20. Likes RoadRacer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    While the above discussion about electricity being created independent of spin direction is correct, the fan inside the alternator is highly directional - to the point that you get very little air flow when you spin the fan backwards. The problem is that heat is released any time you push electrical current through a coil of wire. The alternator could cook itself under high load conditions. For that reason, the FFR Coyote Installation Instructions recommended using a specific Honda alternator that was designed to spin clockwise - the correct direction for our inverted alternator installation. IIRC, I bought mine from Rock Auto, and their website included the spin direction in the alternator specs. I suggest you keep a close eye on the alternator temperature during your shakedown drives.

Keith HR #894

22. Thanks RoadRacer thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by progmgr1 View Post
    While the above discussion about electricity being created independent of spin direction is correct, the fan inside the alternator is highly directional - to the point that you get very little air flow when you spin the fan backwards. The problem is that heat is released any time you push electrical current through a coil of wire. The alternator could cook itself under high load conditions. For that reason, the FFR Coyote Installation Instructions recommended using a specific Honda alternator that was designed to spin clockwise - the correct direction for our inverted alternator installation. IIRC, I bought mine from Rock Auto, and their website included the spin direction in the alternator specs. I suggest you keep a close eye on the alternator temperature during your shakedown drives.

Keith HR #894
    Totally get that Keith. Remember that my alternator is still fully exposed to the wind - no hood or sides - it'll have plenty of airflow. That fan might be important under a normal engine bay but I'd be amazed if I have a problem. But yes, I will be watching!!!
    James

Post Thanks / Like
    A segmented V belt? Haven't seen one of those on a loooong time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Totally get that Keith. Remember that my alternator is still fully exposed to the wind - no hood or sides - it'll have plenty of airflow. That fan might be important under a normal engine bay but I'd be amazed if I have a problem. But yes, I will be watching!!!
    If I remember correctly most alt fans suck the air in from the back and the air exits the front of the case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cob427sc View Post
    A segmented V belt? Haven't seen one of those on a loooong time.
    The green one? Yes, I keep that around for measuring exactly how long a belt I need. Obviously I don't use it on the street.
    James