FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Heater/defroster ... worth it?

Post Thanks / Like

Heater/defroster ... worth it?

Just laying out the dash and behind it so I allow for space and routing before I go much further.
    Given that I can't do a top for a 289 is it worth putting in the heater/defroster?
    I am having difficulty in laying out how to install it.
    I am the one that will drive in the cold topless ... I am Canadian and NC is not proper cold so it makes sense to have it, especially the defrost.
    If anyone has done one for the 289 can you share insights or install pictures?
    I also assume that the install is pretty close to the 427 so the rest of you please chime in.
    Hope everyone is having Happy Holidays!

Post Thanks / Like
    For what it is worth, I don't have a heater/defroster and I am in Maine. I find seat heaters are all that I need and I have had no issues driving around in the mid 40's. Although it gets plenty colder than that here, tire traction really starts to drop off and I don't have much interest in driving when it is below 45.

James
    Mk4 Roadster #9974 - Picked Up 1/2021. Complete kit, Gen 2 Ford Coyote / TKX, IRS. Completed 9/2023

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ll drive my roadster in the late fall to work sometimes when the daytime highs are in the 50-60s. But that means the morning temps are usually in the 30s. On those days , it’s nice to have seat heaters and a heater

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve hit heavy fog driving to events early in the morning and I’m glad I had the defoggers. Without them I would have stayed home. The heat is pretty good too. I have seat heaters which to me are a must.
    Mark4 - 331 Stroker - Fitech 600 -TKO600 - Moser 3.55

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I created my own heater specifically for my wife's feet.
    Was it needed in my opinion? No, No, No & No.
    Does my wife like it? Yes, Yes, Yes & Yes.
    The link for my heater is listed below:

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=982

6. Likes CaptB, Joel Hauser liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's just say I have never regretted installing a heater in my MK3.1. It doesn't get used a lot but when I need to it's wonderful to have.
    I installed controllable defog vent outlets which allows me to send more heat into the foot box areas when needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm very happy that I installed the heater. I did not install the defroster and instead routed those hoses to additional heater ports. I also have a glove box. I moved the entire heater box/fan forward about two inches. Installed some brackets on heater and mounted it to the firewall. I did check clearance with the engine prior. I have a Gen2 Coyote and it fit well.

I live in Utah and in late fall took a drive in low 50 degree weather and between the heater, heated seats and partial top it was very comfortable at 70 mph.
    MKIV #8414 - Complete Kit - Gen 2 Coyote - MT82 6 Speed - Wilwoods - Moser 3.55 Rear

Post Thanks / Like
    My first year driving (well 6 months), love the heater adds comfort on the cold days.
    FFR Roadster Delivered 9/16/21
    Forte 427 Fuel Injected with TKX Transmission
    Forte's Axle

Post Thanks / Like
    The defroster is pretty much useless in an open car. The heater can be useful from time to time. I built my car in CA and we had a run from Temecula to the Stone Brewery to finish off the day. With the run often starting off around 40 degrees plus adding the wind chill factor, the heater was great to have on those cold mornings.
    Our cars really should not be driven in cold weather anyway as the tires need heat in them to generate traction. So the opportunities to use the heater are going to be limited. That said, coming home in the evening after a road trip or show, you will find the heater welcome after the sun goes down.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    In addition to seat heat, I’ve wired a couple plug-ins that are compatible with the heated clothing from the motorcycle world. (Driver and passenger)
    I’m not on the road yet so can’t speak to the effectiveness but if it works for a motorcycle it should work for an open car. I would only expect to maybe use a heated vest under a normal jacket and/or possibly the heated gloves but I really wouldn’t know until I get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I AM a motorcyclist and DO have a heated underjacket., specifically a Harley jacket. M
    This particular model is not a vest, but a very thin jacket with heat in the sleeves as well as torso area. Easily fits under my leather. Incredibly toasty.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just recently finished my 289 FIA build and have both the heater and heated seat options. Was driving around in the low 30s and was pretty comfortable with both on. They are both viable options to have in these cars, at least where I am in the Northeast. I did not put in the defrost vents. If you want the 289 FIA dash with the heater you will need either the dash forward extension or a blank dash to make your own layout like I did.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 42Bfast View Post
    In addition to seat heat, I’ve wired a couple plug-ins that are compatible with the heated clothing from the motorcycle world. (Driver and passenger)
    I’m not on the road yet so can’t speak to the effectiveness but if it works for a motorcycle it should work for an open car. I would only expect to maybe use a heated vest under a normal jacket and/or possibly the heated gloves but I really wouldn’t know until I get there.
    We sold a Canadian made heated vest for M/cycles, ATV's, Snowmobiles, etc. and the customers loved them. The one complaint was they were either full on, or full off. They were wired so you had to pull the plug to shut it off if you got too hot. Get cold again, and you needed to plug it in again, which usually meant having to pull over and stop.
    We found a small 12V rheostat that was wired in line, so you could control the power feeding to the vest, to whatever temperature you preferred. The rheostat was placed in the vest pocket, so it was handy. Buyers loved this option, and we sold tons of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    We sold a Canadian made heated vest for M/cycles, ATV's, Snowmobiles, etc. and the customers loved them. The one complaint was they were either full on, or full off. They were wired so you had to pull the plug to shut it off if you got too hot. Get cold again, and you needed to plug it in again, which usually meant having to pull over and stop.
    We found a small 12V rheostat that was wired in line, so you could control the power feeding to the vest, to whatever temperature you preferred. The rheostat was placed in the vest pocket, so it was handy. Buyers loved this option, and we sold tons of them.
    I have a PWM module for my heated motorcycle jacket/gloves, just links in-line with the power plug between the vehicle and the jacket.
    Rob Windsor

Post Thanks / Like
    Well guys,
    Thanks so much for all of the wonderful input.
    I have read and investigated so much during this time.
    I was not going to put a heater in and at the last moment ordered the heater with the compete kit. I did not realize how it would stick into the engine area. I didn't really like that idea so much .. just me being difficult I guess.
    Since this thread started I also got thinking more and more .. I have a Porsche Boxster that I use all year and have the top down more often than not. I literally never use the heater or defroster, except on a couple of occassions. I guess it is my Canadian blood.
    I had never thought of heated seats, nor extra plug ins for heated jackets. I think I am going to try that and forgo the heater/defroster.
    That all said .. anyone want a deal on a heater/defroster?
    Again thanks so much .. I am sure I will end up with more questions momentarily.

Post Thanks / Like
    In a past life with my Superformance cars I appreciated the defroster on those early morning foggy runs like brewha mentioned. The car had a full heater system that also got used. I seldom used the top.

Not planning a heater/defroster for this build but I'm also planning a trailer for those early morning track runs.

Jim
    2016 Mk4 Challenge Car, IRS, 3.31 Torsen, RDI Aluminum 427w, AFR 225s, Vic Jr. ProSystems 780 HP, TKO-600 w/Liberty mods. Forward cage. Levy 6/4 piston Wilwoods. Not completed yet, will be a streetable track car.
    2004 Superformance MkIII #1855, 2007 Superformance MkIII #2584 purchased in 2012 both sold.