Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: If you could do it again but in a different order…

Post Thanks / Like

If you could do it again but in a different order…

I’m getting to that point now where the order of operations is going to start coming in to play. I’ve read that the build manual has some shortcomings in this regard SO…

What would you do in a different order had you to do it again? Include your aftermarket parts experience as well please. I bought the drop trunk and imagine the fuel tank install will be affected by it. Frank i.e. 427 dropped a pro tip about not putting the outer panels on either foot box until after sound/thermal protection (already had the passenger one affixed!). I’ve been on a lot of forums over the years and never suggested a “sticky” before but maybe this kind of list may be a good pre-build required reading kind of thing?
    MkIV Complete - Dart 427/TKX/Sniper II/IRS from Forte

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here are a few items that make life easier from the very start of your build:

1. Route and secure the rear wiring harness before you install the trunk floor.
    2. Make a copy of your inventory sheet and attach the corresponding sheet to each box of parts.
    3. Drill the roll bars & mounts before installing the rear cockpit aluminum and trunk quarter panel aluminum.
    4. Read the manual three times before your kit arrives and do very detailed inventory when your Factory-5 arrives.
    5. Drill and plug a couple of holes to make life easier when dealing with the rear header bolts on the driver's side footbox.
    ....They just need to be large enough to get a 3/8" extension with swivel and socket through the footbox to the last two rear header bolts.

Hope This Helps & Good Luck!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-01-2024 at 03:17 PM.

3. Likes Andrew Davis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jeskam View Post
    I’m getting to that point now where the order of operations is going to start coming in to play. I’ve read that the build manual has some shortcomings in this regard SO…

What would you do in a different order had you to do it again? Include your aftermarket parts experience as well please. I bought the drop trunk and imagine the fuel tank install will be affected by it. Frank i.e. 427 dropped a pro tip about not putting the outer panels on either foot box until after sound/thermal protection (already had the passenger one affixed!). I’ve been on a lot of forums over the years and never suggested a “sticky” before but maybe this kind of list may be a good pre-build required reading kind of thing?
    That's only if you put the 'sound/thermal protection' on the outside of the panels. It's not necessary to put it on the outside. I used thermal/pad on the inside and in 25yrs never had an issue with heat. Plus, it keeps the outer panels nice and easy to clean. Key to keeping a lot of heat out (if that's an issue where you live) is to seal up the seams and gaps tightly.
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm

5. Likes cc2Arider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As I learned today: I definitely would have installed my steering rack when doing the front suspension. If you get the steering arms backwards or upside down, you have to take it all apart and reassemble.
    MKIV Complete Kit # 207585
    Ordered 8/19/2023. Completion date 11/11/23. Delivery date 11/27/23

Build Thread: http://https://thefactoryfiveforum.c...577#post535577

7. Likes BRRT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Before assembling the foot boxes, trace the panel shapes on some cardboard to make templates. Makes it easier to precut sound deadening material once the boxes are assembled.

9. Likes cc2Arider, BRRT, Nigel Allen, JimStone liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Here are a few items that make life easier from the very start of your build:

1. Route and secure the rear wiring harness before you install the trunk floor.
    2. Make a copy of your inventory sheet and attach the corresponding sheet to each box of parts.
    3. Drill the roll bars & mounts before installing the rear cockpit aluminum and trunk quarter panel aluminum.
    4. Read the manual three times before your kit arrives and do very detailed inventory when your Factory-5 arrives.
    5. Drill and plug a couple of holes to make life easier when dealing with the rear header bolts on the driver's side footbox.
    ....They just need to be large enough to get a 3/8" extension with swivel and socket through the footbox to the last two rear header bolts.

Hope This Helps & Good Luck!
    Adding to #1 - install the taillight “trailer mod” before sealing the rear aluminum. It’s not in the regular manual, so I did it later as I got to that box. Not impossible, but a pain

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mmklaxer View Post
    Adding to #1 - install the taillight “trailer mod” before sealing the rear aluminum. It’s not in the regular manual, so I did it later as I got to that box. Not impossible, but a pain
    Assuming the "trailer mod" is adding a 4 pin disconnect to the brake lights to ease replacement down the line?
    MkIV Complete - Dart 427/TKX/Sniper II/IRS from Forte

Post Thanks / Like
    trailer mod involves the led tail light converter which was not in my manual, it may be now not sure. I mounted mine behind the dash but some mount it under the trunk closer to the lights.

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently had to replace my radiator. Biggest difficulty was getting to some of the bolts on the top rail where I had my Breeze radiator mount. I made some through bolts to hold the radiator and my radiator protector but put them too close to the edge of the mount.... easy enough when the body was off, but once on, it was a project in itself.

Fitment1.jpg

Moral of this story, is if you do a custom mod, think about how easy or hard it will be to remove/replace once car is completed.

14. Likes Nigel Allen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The build manual doesn't seem to get a lot of love. But a whole bunch of the questions (and problems...) on this forum can be resolved by more closely studying and following the build manual. Just saying, and enough on that subject. The basic build sequence is ok, although sometimes it's necessary to jump around some to work around backorders. Lots of great feedback and answers on the forum -- and I post my share -- but nothing wrong with the basic order of assembly shown. Especially if it's your first build. Always be looking several steps ahead and mocking things up as you go. Especially if you're deviating from the standard build, adding mods, etc. That way you prevent yourself from painting into a corner.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    The build manual doesn't seem to get a lot of love. But a whole bunch of the questions (and problems...) on this forum can be resolved by more closely studying and following the build manual. ...
    Yeah!

Kinda' like when I got a call from a guy who was having difficulty installing his Coyote. I asked if he'd installed the motor mount spacers...he asked what are those...I told him then he asked where to get them...I told him that they come in the Coyote installation pack and asked if he bought that...he said that he had and asked what they look like and how do they get installed...I told him that photos and directions are in the supplement that came with the installation pack... That's when he told me that he hadn't even opened that package up

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn’t get the Coyote supplement with my installation pack—I’ve downloaded it. But is this something people typically get?
    MKIV Complete Kit # 207585
    Ordered 8/19/2023. Completion date 11/11/23. Delivery date 11/27/23

Build Thread: http://https://thefactoryfiveforum.c...577#post535577

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbufford View Post
    I didn’t get the Coyote supplement with my installation pack—I’ve downloaded it. But is this something people typically get?
    Factory Five doesn't typically include anything with their kit shipments except the build manual and the RF wiring instructions. Regardless of options, configuration, etc.

All their additional instructions are available here: https://www.factoryfiveparts.com/instructions/.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbufford View Post
    As I learned today: I definitely would have installed my steering rack when doing the front suspension. If you get the steering arms backwards or upside down, you have to take it all apart and reassemble.
    Yea. I did that. Lots of fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    factory five doesn't typically include anything with their kit shipments except the build manual and the rf wiring instructions. Regardless of options, configuration, etc.

All their additional instructions are available here: https://www.factoryfiveparts.com/instructions/.
    omg!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Factory Five doesn't typically include anything with their kit shipments except the build manual and the RF wiring instructions. Regardless of options, configuration, etc.

That link should be a stickie
    My build thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Roadster-Build

Thread on Stainless Steel AN brake lines.

Thread on fasteners and torque wrenches.

22. Likes StangRacer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My 2 cents: I would do the brake lines and bleed them earlier in the process. Consider leaving out all the trunk aluminum until you know your brakes lines and fuel lines are not leaking (and all wiring and drop trunk done).

I would do rear cockpit corner panels after you finished the brake lines.
    Delivery October 2023, #10847, Gen 3, IRS