Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: New to the group, looking for locals for help

Post Thanks / Like

Question New to the group, looking for locals for help

Hi everyone,

My name is Mike, I’m new to this forum. I’ve considered purchasing a factory fine for years and think I will be pulling the trigger. I don’t have much mechanical work, but use lots of tools as I do wood working. Do you think this could be too difficult? The manager at factory five told me to introduce myself on this forum to see if there are any locals near me I can connect with and ask questions about their build. I currently reside in Sonoma County in California if anyone is near that area, I’d love to chat!

Thank you,

Mike

2. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    welcome to the site.

Ask away

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this something a person with no experience could do? I do a lot of wood working and use tools but have not worked on a car. However with the instructions and YouTube I’m wondering if I can do this.

Are there any specific pieces you feel I should pay the extra for on the website before ordering the complete kit?

Post Thanks / Like
    You might want to consider attending the build school - https://www.factoryfive.com/build-school/

James
    Mk4 Roadster #9974 - Picked Up 1/2021. Complete kit, Gen 2 Ford Coyote / TKX, IRS. Completed 9/2023

6. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The folks at F5 gave me a list of builders in my area. Even though I will build my own, the local builders have been very willing to offer advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! A build school is a great boost for your FF project

Post Thanks / Like
    I went into this journey w/ min automotive experience. Build school can certainly help, but I didn't attend this. Camp out on this forum, the FFcars one, and possibly the FB builder group and soak in knowledge. Read the manual a few times and possibly follow someone else's build thread. Take one step of the build at a time, otherwise it's too much info to digest at once.
    Good luck with your journey!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have been an automotive, truck, and forklift mechanic since 1979 (45 years) so this project was quite easy for myself, however, there were a few times something really stopped me and I had to take a few steps back, research, and find the solution. I also enjoy woodworking and have completed quite a few pieces of nice furniture, grandfather clocks, and other various projects. I sided my house and installed new windows in my house. I am comfortable with electrical and plumbing work, and even installed a paver brick driveway myself. I think if a person is good with their hands and has a mechanical mindset, is willing to try, and most important, willing to ask questions, they can accomplish anything. Paint and body was something I only did once before on a Jeep, but I feel the paint (I am building the '33 Hot Rod) turned out very nice, with the advice of a few friends who are in that business. Having a good shop with a decent set of tools is a must, and having the support of a spouse, if applicable, is just as important. While my wife rarely comes out into my shop to help (she did help lift the body on and off a few times) she does not mind if I spend a Saturday working on my car. She says she knows it makes me happy, and that makes her happy. If you are questioning your skills, I agree the build school would certainly give you a taste of what is involved in a project like this. Be prepared to dedicate a year at minimum on this, and likely two or even three years, depending on how much free time and cash flow you have. Factory Five say all you need to supply is the motor, driveline, tires, and paint. Hmmmm, I wonder how I went quite past that! Check out Street Rod Jim's build series on You Tube. Jim is a regular guy who decided to build one, and while he had many struggles along the way, he ended up with a show winning car. Watching a few of his videos may give you a true look at the problems that may come up. If you decide to try it, I wish you good luck, and enjoy the ride, as the reward is waiting for you when you tell people that you built it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mike. Welcome to the forum! I'm down in the South Bay (Los Gatos). There are quite a few folks that have built roadsters all over the Bay Area, and a bunch more in the Sacramento area. If you ever find yourself down in the South Bay feel free to PM me and stop by. Happy to show you my build.

Is this something you can do? Only you can answer that question. My advice to you would be to read as many build threads as you can, as well as reaching out to Factory Five and asking for a PDF copy of the build manual. Study all of that and ask yourself if what you're reading seems doable. Keep in mind that there will undoubtedly be many parts of the build that will be new to you. I had never fabricated my own brake and fuel lines (as an example) or safety-wired rotor bolts. Learning new skills was a huge part of the enjoyment of the build for me. You'll break some stuff, you'll screw some stuff up, you'll spend some money fixing mistakes... that's all part of the deal. This forum and the amazing members here are a huge asset when you get stumped or stuck, or just want a sanity-check before diving into something. With the support that this forum provides, I think anyone with basic mechanical aptitude can build one of these cars.

-John
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

12. Likes FF33rod liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-24-2024 at 02:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Which kit are you thinking of building?

Some great advice so far so just a couple of points to emphasize....
    - build school would be a big help, really helps build confidence so you know what to expect AND you get some great tips
    - read build threads on this forum. There are a couple of well known, top notch builders with great detail provided.
    - you do not need a big shop to do this in. Some have done it in a single car garage, although I wouldn't recommend it I managed quite well in a small 2 car garage.
    - None of these kits are like a Lego kit so expect some problems and problem solving is needed. In terms of maturity, the roaster is most mature and the GTM (now discontinued) is the least.
    - body work and paint is actually the most difficult part of the build. There are FF friendly shops available to do this for you.

Keep asking questions!
    Cheers
    Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Just do it! Northern California has a plethora of great guys willing to help out and give advice. I belong to the Sacramento club and we have about 25 members who built their own, purchased one, or bought a partially built one. If you have some mechanical skills (woodworking included), you can do it. Just be sure to reach out and ask for help when you get stuck.

Ted
    #10333 Complete Kit, Carbed 427w, TKX, IRS and many other upgrades

• Order Date: September 11, 2021 - 20th Anniversary of 9/11
    • Delivery Day: April 1, 2022 - April Fool's Day
    • First Start and Go-Kart: January 20th, 2023
    • Graduation Date: July 4th, 2023 - Independence Day!!
    • Legal Registration Date: October 4, 2023 - My Birthday!!

Visit my MKIV Build Thread (#10333)