Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: back up / reverse camera

Post Thanks / Like

back up / reverse camera

First of all - should I even worry about a backup cam in a Daytona? What's the real world vision situation backing out of parking places in this car?

Then, any suggestions about what works well? I'd like to have a camera without a battery, so hard power wire at least, but something that I can view on my smartphone. However, reviews of such products on amazon seem quite mixed.

Thanks for any feedback!

Post Thanks / Like
    Many install a backup camera and will cite good reasons for doing so. Some even run them full time, e.g. while driving. I thought about it with mine. But in the end was done with modifications and just wanted to get it finished. Real world? Just finished three seasons of driving and I'm OK with not having one. Having said that, the rear blind spot is real. So get very used to looking over your shoulders repeatedly while driving. But the main thing is to have real side rear view mirrors and the best center rear view mirror you can find. The kit provided bullet mirror on one side isn't adequate. I have the Brock mirrors ($$$) but glad I bought them. Guys have posted similar mirrors are available much cheaper sold for motorcycles. Could be. I don't know. I upgraded to a larger center mirror as well. You can only see partially through the rear glass. But it definitely helps.
    Last edited by edwardb; 01-17-2024 at 01:23 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had one but since I did not build the display into the dash I found it was in the way so I took it out. I find once you get familiar with driving the car I don't miss it. I take the seat belts off before backing up that way I can turn more to see behind, I do this when I am driving the cobra too. I grew up in the days before the tech so I don't rely on it.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

4. Thanks BigShooter thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Brock mirrors and agree with Paul that they (or something similar) are a must. The hips on this girl are too wide for the FF supplied mirrors. I also agree with Paul that the blind spot on this car is real. I installed a rear camera that uses a rear view center "mirror", mounted on the windshield, to project the image. It is wired and I have it on all the time. Between the side mirrors and the camera I have eliminated the blind spot during driving. Backing out is also a lot easier as the camera has almost 180 degrees of view.
    Scott Pregont
    Present build: 65 Daytona Coupe #393 - Forte 427 EFI crate w/TKX 2.87/ .81 - Ordered 11/16/21 - Delivered 6/23/2022
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...na-Coupe-build
    My Albums
    Special Tools, Custom Parts, misc supplies: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2045
    Garage Pics: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2041
    POR15 First Try: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2068
    Silicone application tips: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2063

6. Thanks BigShooter thanked for this post
    Likes GrooveM liked this post
    East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use Convex racing rear view mirror, Convex passenger side mirror and normal driver side mirror - and haven't wished for a rear view camera.... if you decide to add one ... might add a front camera as well... that nose is pretty low and you can't see the nose of the car while seated.... again I haven't felt like i need one but I daily mine so I have become very comfortable ....I think it depends in the end....

just my point of "view"....
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

8. Thanks BigShooter thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have an Auto-vox “Stream Media Mirror Dash Camera” or what I call a “display mirror” which replaces a normal mirror and gives me rearward vision the whole time. It has a wire that connects into the reverse light circuit so that it can sense when the transmission is in reverse. The camera has a 150 degree field of view which is wide angle, but probably not as wide as some backup cameras since the camera’s primary purpose is to replace the mirror. I’ve yet to fully test this as I am part way through my build. I do have it wired in and have tested it but have not placed the camera yet. I think I will build it into the spoiler on the back of my coupe.

Another feature of the autovox is the screen is touch sensitive and if you swipe your fingers to the right on the display ot shows a backup grid. I’ve yet to see how well this works.

I am avoiding a separate display because I want a 1960s look to my interior. But I’m running extra wires to the back in case I change my mind.

I have a 2021 Corvette with a similar Display Mirror which I love. It takes a while for your eyes/brain to adjust to the different focal distance of a screen in place of your mirror. It took me about a month. I have to wear my glasses because the display is reading distance as opposed to a regular mirror which shows a distant object - it took me a while to figure this out! But the display is awesome. Without it the Vette rearward view is terrible. And reversing would be a nightmare without a reversing camera and display

The other thing I am growing to love in the vette and other modern cars is the side blind spot warning that shows in the mirror. I have not looked into this for the coupe but will do so. Just too many things to investigate!

10. Thanks BigShooter thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    i uses a display mirror as well. not the Auto-vox Jgray is using but similar and doubles as a dash camera. Ive been using this style in my other cars and love it. F-150 and Prius V.

Yes i know you cannot look cool in a Prius, but its my daily car. Round trip is 80 miles for work.

One thing i do love is the wide angle on the back camera. you can still see a vehicle in the camera for the blind spots and when they leave the view of the camera they are pretty much next to you by then. with the harness in the Coupe, once buckled in its difficult to turn you head to see your blind spots.

Doug

12. Thanks BigShooter thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    33 Speedstar: different vehicle model but same problem, especially with the chopped roof.

Thinking about one of those wireless backup cameras that sends video to your smartphone via Bluetooth.

Has anybody figured out how to invisibly stick their smartphone to the dash? Maybe a neodymium magnet behind the fibreglass?

Earl
    1st Speedstar in Canada 31 March 2023.
    Built by me 302 engine, AOD trans, 3.55 IRS.

14. Thanks BigShooter thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dstelter View Post
    i uses a display mirror as well. not the Auto-vox Jgray is using but similar and doubles as a dash camera. Ive been using this style in my other cars and love it. F-150 and Prius V.

Yes i know you cannot look cool in a Prius, but its my daily car. Round trip is 80 miles for work.

One thing i do love is the wide angle on the back camera. you can still see a vehicle in the camera for the blind spots and when they leave the view of the camera they are pretty much next to you by then. with the harness in the Coupe, once buckled in its difficult to turn you head to see your blind spots.

Doug
    Doug, where did you mount the camera? I have something similar to you and John (mine will do reverse only or on all the time, also has build in wireless CarPlay or Android Auto so if I need a map, 1/2 the screen can show the map and the other half shows the rearview - Amazon special). I'm a long ways off from bodywork but considering hanging the camera behind the rear glass up top center. Thinking what you just described - with a 180 view I might see something coming up on my rear and at least have an idea when it's in the blind spot.
    Last edited by rhk118; 01-17-2024 at 05:28 PM.

16. Thanks BigShooter thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi rhk118.

for me i wanted it as far back as possible. this way when i go into reverse it will give me the best possible angle and view.
    Amazon for me as well. Pic shows it mounted at the spoiler and body area. its double sided tape. I did have to make a small hole for the wire in the spoiler and body. This way i can swap out if and when needed for the a replacement or newer design.

as mentioned it a dash cam as well. records front and back and a back up camera when in reverse.

rear crop.jpg

doug

18. Thanks rhk118 thanked for this post
    Likes jgray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tucked mine under the lip. Barely know it's there. Have to point it out.
    Scott Pregont
    Present build: 65 Daytona Coupe #393 - Forte 427 EFI crate w/TKX 2.87/ .81 - Ordered 11/16/21 - Delivered 6/23/2022
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...na-Coupe-build
    My Albums
    Special Tools, Custom Parts, misc supplies: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2045
    Garage Pics: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2041
    POR15 First Try: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2068
    Silicone application tips: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2063

20. Thanks rhk118, BigShooter thanked for this post
    Likes jgray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm installing one in my build
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand.
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering. Album Here

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed a rear cam on the license plate frame. This seemed like the easy answer to me, and meant that I didn't have to add additional holes to the body. Display is via a "floating screen" head unit from Alpine. Head unit is actually only a 1DIN unit, an is a shorter and compact chassis as well - leaving as much room behind the dash as possible. Camera is auto activated when in reverse, and I added a dash switch so that I can run it full time while driving if desired. I don't have a lot of miles on the car yet, but I have tried it - and it is VERY helpful while in motion.

Dash.jpgRear cam.jpg

I too have the motorcycle mirrors that are nearly identical to the PB mirrors.

Rear view, I went with this:

MIRROR.jpg

https://axiaalloys.com/product/9-wid...IaAkzSEALw_wcB

Allowed me to mount the mirror further from my head in the car, and also NOT on the windshield. Moveable, REmovable, and pretty infinitely adjustable. Not that there's a lot one can see out the back glass anyhow! I liked the look, and thought it went well in the car. Also STUPID expensive for a mirror. It was my Christmas present to myself.

23. Thanks rhk118, BigShooter thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    BigShooter - thanks for starting this thread! I had started to think about positioning camera, mounting mirror etc, but had not gotten to it. The posts on this thread are very helpful.

Rian_colorado - installing in the lic plate frame is clever! I was thinking of mounting to the rollbar rather than the windshield - your axiaalloys solution looks very nice, if a little expensive. I may some up with something similar - I bought the version of the auto-vox that "clips" onto the regular mirror. I did this partly because it was on sale (!) and partly because I don't want to have a conventional mirror location and figured mounting it off the rollbar was a one option, or mounted to the dash - the late 60s Volvo P1800 sports car did this - I thought it was cool.

25. Thanks BigShooter thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is an option for mounting likely any of these amazon backup mirrors that mounts to the windshield using a standard mirror mount. Take off the rubber straps and mounts via 4 screws. Fits the mirror I have perfectly so can mount it directly to the windshield.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by rhk118; 01-18-2024 at 05:16 PM.

27. Thanks BigShooter thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rhk118 View Post
    Here is an option for mounting likely any of these amazon backup mirrors that mounts to the windshield using a standard mirror mount. Take off the rubber straps and mounts via 4 screws. Fits the mirror I have perfectly so can mount it directly to the windshield.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Thanks Hank! That will solve my problem. I will probably try both the windshield mounted location and a dash mounted location. I'm tall and in certain cars the mirror can block my line of sight which is why I am considering the dash mount. But it is good to have options - and this one is cheap.

29. Thanks BigShooter thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Many install a backup camera and will cite good reasons for doing so. Some even run them full time, e.g. while driving. I thought about it with mine. But in the end was done with modifications and just wanted to get it finished. Real world? Just finished three seasons of driving and I'm OK with not having one. Having said that, the rear blind spot is real. So get very used to looking over your shoulders repeatedly while driving. But the main thing is to have real side rear view mirrors and the best center rear view mirror you can find. The kit provided bullet mirror on one side isn't adequate. I have the Brock mirrors ($$$) but glad I bought them. Guys have posted similar mirrors are available much cheaper sold for motorcycles. Could be. I don't know. I upgraded to a larger center mirror as well. You can only see partially through the rear glass. But it definitely helps.
    Thank you, very helpful comments. I'm at the same point - anxious to get the build done and looking to keep things simple. Have the Peter Brock side mirrors and like your idea of a larger center mirror.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for your feedback and ideas!