Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Electrical turn signal issue

Post Thanks / Like

Electrical turn signal issue

Has any one had trouble with the LED flasher modules? I am now testing the lights on my MK4 roadster build .

When the ignition switch is off and the hazard switch on, the LED flasher module is on, but no lights are flashing.

When the ignition switch is in the on or running position ,the second LED flasher module comes on, but again no lights are flashing.

We say the flasher modules are on because we hear them buzzing and feel them vibrating.

The bottom line is all lights are working but we can't get the hazard lights, tail lights, or the front turn signal lights to blink on and off at all. The wiring has been checked over and over and appears to be correctly wired.

Any suggestions, other than to go have a beer?

Thanks Cleve

Post Thanks / Like
    if neither of your flasher modules are working.. that really points to a wiring issue. Sorry, keep looking!

or I suppose you could have damaged both at once if you had an earlier wiring issue ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I once blew up my ignition by connecting the battery backwards. lol

I'd say YOU get a beer and get someone to look at the wiring with fresh eyes
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Buzzing? I don't believe they should buzz. If I recall, they have a ground wire, are these connected to a good ground?

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Check the voltage on your flasher wiring. It sounds like low voltage. If your battery is up to 12 volts and your flasher voltage is low, you could be feeding through a light bulb.
    Either the ground or the hot, fed through a bulb will drop your voltage down.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the cobra building sites recommended using a low setting on a battery charger to test the wiring without using the car battery. The battery charger worked great checking out the basic light wiring circuits. The nasty noise on the battery charger was seriously effecting the modules output . I changed over to my car battery with a10 amp inline fuse and low and behold all the flasher modules are working. I still have a small wiring problem because my hazard switch and the turn signal switch are flashing all the lights. I am going to check out that wiring problem tomorrow for my turn signal switch..
    Thank everyone for you help and replies.

6. Likes FF33rod liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Cleve,
    You can not use a battery charger to test for turn signals or hazards. The load is far more, through the flashers, than the chargers can normally withstand. Second, the trailer light converter is provided for a reason. If you are using the LED rear tail lights and tie both the turn signal wire and the brake light circuit together you get what you are describing. A back feed from one side to the other. The trailer light converter takes the signals for turn and brake and interrupt one while the other is in use. So if you have your turn signal on and hit the brakes, the brake light remains on for the side you are not using for turn and the turn side flashes as it should. My guess is you have the purple brake wires connected to the turn signal wires on each side.

Frank