Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  55
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Considering A Mark IV Roadster - Lots Of Questions

Post Thanks / Like
    The 'inspect as per 65 regs' I don't think is an official rule. I also have no idea where you would find a copy of those regs. My experience is you need to find a friendly inspector. When we moved from Md to Manassas Va, an FFR owner living nearby told me who to see. When we moved to Blacksburg, I went to a local 4 man shop and they were just fine w/ the FFR. I suspect that outside of Richmond there will be a similar shop. Get on some classic car club websites to check. Afterall a 65 Corvette is similar to a 65 Cobra. BTW I never had washers or backup lights. I have no idea how they calculate the PP tax. I sold my FFR in 2021 and don't remember exact #s but I can tell you it was less than my wife's 2015 Mustang GT and way less than my 19 Stingray.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

2. Likes JK 23112 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems that the more I find out about FFR and other such cars, the more I realize I don't know and keep generating more questions in my mind. Doh!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JK 23112 View Post

Wow! That's really cool and - thanks for the information about VA's rules for inspection. If they go by 1965 standards, I would assume that a front license plate is required because Virginia had them back then. Would it be registered with the "antique" plates that come in white over black or black over orange?
    The only rules you need to worry about are those specific to the county (tax) & state(DMV, tax)you register the car in. Also if it qualifies as an antique, classic or special category. You might have to ask them if your car qualifies as for some reason here some agents don't offer it automatically. If it's like the NCDMV there is a very wide gap in agents knowledge of the regs for these cars. Also among LEO'S so carry a copy of any special regs in the car.

Some nice things your neighbors to the south get in NC get the car can be registered as an antique 1965 with a major reduction in property tax. You are issued a current AA tag blue on white but can run an yellow on black 1965 reproduction tag bought in the aftermarket.

Wipers, emissions etc are not checked in NC, Wake county, there is no annual inspection for the FFR Cobras. Car is inspected once, before registration, by the DMV/Theft unit looking for stolen major (drive train) parts.

Back to wipers I did not buy them. Rain-X on both sides of the glass + a micro towel for inside works very well. As said you will get caught in the rain or maybe in

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 02-05-2024 at 01:39 PM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

5. Likes JK 23112 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't imagine being out in the snow with one of those. Yikes! I got caught in the rain once or twice when I had a Corvette - but NEVER in snow.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't imagine being out in the snow with one of those. Yikes! I got caught in the rain once or twice when I had a Corvette - but NEVER in snow.
    Like this?

My build thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Roadster-Build

Thread on Stainless Steel AN brake lines.

Thread on fasteners and torque wrenches.

8. Thanks okestone thanked for this post
    Likes John4337, BRRT, JK 23112 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Or this?

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Likes John4337, john42, BRRT, JK 23112 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Somebody did not watch AccuWeather.

I hope that everybody made it home safely after all that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by john42 View Post
    Heheh yep. I've come to the unfortunate understanding that you need wipers on BOTH sides of the windshield (outside and inside) for it to have any meaningful effect. I get as much water on the inside of my windshield as I do on the outside...
    I would suggest that you need to stop driving backwards, that should help with the water on the inside of the windshield!
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

13. Likes John4337 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan_C View Post
    I would suggest that you need to stop driving backwards, that should help with the water on the inside of the windshield!
    There was no reverse driving in the discovery of this issue :-)
    MK3 Challenge Car, Boss 347, Sniper 2 EFI

Post Thanks / Like

Somebody did not watch AccuWeather.

I hope that everybody made it home safely after all that.

All the time I was building the car, I would read about how you would - absolutely - get caught in the rain. I kept thinking, "what kind of bright bulb can build a car like this, but can't seem to stay out of the rain?"

Third drive with body on - before I had even installed the wipers - yep, you guessed it.
    MK4 #7838: IRS 3.55 TrueTrac T5z Dart 347
    The drawing is from ~7th grade, mid-1970s
    Meandering, leisurely build thread is here

16. Likes JK 23112 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That would be my luck.......or getting caught underneath a flock of seagulls who just ate lunch at the landfill.

18. Likes BRRT, John Ibele liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John Ibele View Post
    All the time I was building the car, I would read about how you would - absolutely - get caught in the rain. I kept thinking, "what kind of bright bulb can build a car like this, but can't seem to stay out of the rain?"

Third drive with body on - before I had even installed the wipers - yep, you guessed it.
    you're driving a car that maybe 1% of the population has and if there's a 1% chance of rain... guess what! That 1 little cloud will find you!
    MK3 Challenge Car, Boss 347, Sniper 2 EFI

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by john42 View Post
    you're driving a car that maybe 1% of the population has and if there's a 1% chance of rain... guess what! That 1 little cloud will find you!
    It's not about the light on in the head, it is Mother Nature and her propensity to ignore whatever the weatherman has to say. The cruise in I took my car to in HB had less than a 5% chance of rain that day. Sure enough, in the afternoon the dark clouds started moving in. By 2 PM, the sprinkles started. I was not happy as one of our members here did not want to let us leave, BS. If I want to go, I am going. Soon after, we were allowed to leave, but not before the rain got a bigger head start before we headed home. Not only got rained on, both my wife and I got soaked. I avoided the freeways to be safer, but what an experience! You learn a lot about these cars in the rain not to mention where the water will enter the cockpit. If you don't have blue painters tape with you, those door gaps are a ***** as I know from experience.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12