Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Can a ceramic coating help a failing clear coat?

Post Thanks / Like

Can a ceramic coating help a failing clear coat?

ebcb0213c6591aa88059abcec41888b07efc420d-1.jpgtaco.jpg

First, I'm way behind the curve with ceramic coatings. Partly because I'm becoming an old person, part is because I'm afraid of it. Part of it is grandiose claims: A ceramic coating eliminates the need for wax for up to 4 years, it makes it impossible to get water stains from irrigation sprinklers, even if your car is black. I'd believe it makes your car more shiny, but they claim it gets even more glossy in a few days as the coating cures.

My 2010 Tacoma is almost perfect in & out except for a section on the hood scoop where the clear coat is failing. I've read up on the difference between oxidation and clear coat failing. I've seen some videos about buffing out oxidation but by feel, it seems there is little or no clear coat left in the bad area. I've tried to polish it up with a random orbital but it doesn't get any better.

If a ceramic coating adds a thin layer of glass on your paint, my best guess is it would add some gloss to the hood. I know the cloudiness itself won't go away, but I'd be happy with a little gloss and the area not getting worse.

These kits cost between $40 and $280. I figure I could do my hood, roof, plus the hood and roof on my girlfriend's Mini Cooper.

I remain afraid yet curious...
    Last edited by NiceGuyEddie; 01-30-2024 at 11:23 AM.