Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Door Sills

Post Thanks / Like

Door Sills

One of the next things I want to add to my build are door sills. Unfortunately with the passing of Russ T., there isn't an "easy" solution to this. Fabricating the door sill itself isn't too challenging, however I want the "Daytona" script on the panel itself. I'm guessing from pictures of his panels that he either:

a) Sent them out to be engraved on a laser or CNC machine
    b) own'd said machine and did it himself
    c) Did it in house by hand?

I COULD try my hand at doing it with a dremel - but I would say my mechanical skillset is better than my "Artistic" side. I don't want it to look like a 5th grader did it!!

Anyone have any ideas or good contacts with someone with a CNC setup that might engrave aluminum?

Stealing a pic of Pauls that shows what Russ's panel looked like....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Sendcutsend could probably do it

Post Thanks / Like
    Already tried SCS - they won't do it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Another option if you want to go the DIY route is electro etching— using electricity to eat/etch metal instead of acid. If you're not familiar with it already, it sounds complicated but it's actually pretty safe and easy. I've done various signs and plaques on my kitchen table.

Best to read about it online, but essentially all you need is a DC power source (I used a 12V automotive battery charger) another piece of metal to be used as a cathode and some salt water.

To cut the mask for the logo you can just have a sign shop cut some vinyl for you (or DIY if you have a Cricut machine or something similar). You can even practice and refine the technique with some masking tape and an xacto knife to cut some masking patterns in order to determine how long you need to let it sit until you get the right etching depth.

Basic process is outlined in this diagram

electrolytic-etching.jpg
    Last edited by Alphamacaroon; 02-06-2024 at 01:17 PM.
    Cheers,

--jim

Build 1: Gen III Type 65 Coupe, Gen II Coyote

Post Thanks / Like
    I talked to Russ about these as had a set ordered. He had a friend who lived about an hour away that would make batches of these for him and he was waiting for a critical number of orders and also waiting until he was "headed that way" to get them engraved, he didn't do this himself (he was explaining his process to me and thought it might be many months, and would also laugh that he was busier in retirement than he was while working). I suspect Russ made the sills, and his friend did the engraving.

I know someone took over the turn signals, perhaps they could find out who he used to do this. I'm very interested myself. (FYI Rian check you PMs, I traced out the pontoon panels for you a while ago if you still need them)
    Last edited by rhk118; 02-07-2024 at 07:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am just going to use some black anodized aluminum and laser etch the script into it. Should hold up pretty well.
    My Type 65 Coupe: Ordered May 27, 2021. Arrived November 19, 2021.
    I would like to treat my gas pedal as a binary operator. It would be nice to get the cooperation of everyone in front of me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Super in interesting idea on the Electro-etching. We actually did some of that back in Industrial Engineering school - but it's been about 30 years.....lol. I'll give that some thought!

RHK - thanks for the background! would be interesting to see if I could track down the source. I did get your message with the measurements (Thanks!!!) I had JUST finished my own by the time I got it....lol. I think it turned out pretty well.

2024-01-10 14.43.44.jpg2024-01-10 14.43.52.jpg.

I may try to reach back out to the guy who was doing the RT turn signals - though he seems to have disappeared.....

Rian

8. Likes rhk118 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thought I recognized that picture. Then saw you credited it to my Coupe. I can confirm that Russ didn't do the engraving. He sent it elsewhere. When I ordered mine from him several years ago, went on a list until he had enough and then I received them. Several comments about my experience: What you see in the picture is slightly modified. I cut them down along the inside edge because I wrapped the carpet over the edge. They didn't come shiny like that. I polished them. Only by hand so not perfect. But have enough bling factor for me. The red in the engraving is also something I did. One suggestion if you're either making them or having them made and you want them shiny like that would be to make them out of polished stainless. The aluminum scratches pretty easily when dragging your feet over the sill getting in and out.

One other thing I thought of. Have you asked Factory Five? I recall sill plates on some of their builds and maybe they offer those for sale? They certainly have the capability to fabricate and engrave. Good luck.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Paul! I suspect you would recognize a LOT of things if you saw my build......lol.

I am curious about how yours have held up. I also did my own pontoon panels (very similar to how you did yours) and notice that they do mark up easily as you mention. Did you end up covering your door sills or pontoon panels with clear bra material? If so, did that help much? Interesting point about maybe using stainless steel.

FFR does include door sills, though the set that I received are smaller that I'd like, and the laser etching is...... not great. I may reach out and ask though. I think many people would buy them if they were done well.

Rian

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rian_Colorado View Post
    Hey Paul! I suspect you would recognize a LOT of things if you saw my build......lol.

I am curious about how yours have held up. I also did my own pontoon panels (very similar to how you did yours) and notice that they do mark up easily as you mention. Did you end up covering your door sills or pontoon panels with clear bra material? If so, did that help much? Interesting point about maybe using stainless steel.

FFR does include door sills, though the set that I received are smaller that I'd like, and the laser etching is...... not great. I may reach out and ask though. I think many people would buy them if they were done well.

Rian
    I tried putting XPEL on the sills. I have used that material a number of times but always on a painted surface and always turned out perfect. I have no idea why, but on the polished aluminum it wouldn't go down without bubbles, still had bubbles when dry, etc. A complete fail. So removed it. I keep them waxed and try my best to keep from dragging my feet on them. For the passenger side, my policy is I always help my passenger in and out. Including my better half. I always throw a towel over the sill and onto the pipes so no one gets burned. So that side stays pretty decent. If they do get marked, it usually polishes out. I tried stainless on the sills of my truck build and can confirm it's a lot more durable. Didn't keep it long, but they didn't have a mark on them after a season of driving. I got the polished stainless from McMaster. Not cheap. I left them plain. No idea about engraving or later etching.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Could always paint it on too
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013