Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Body measurement

Post Thanks / Like

Body measurement

As per the manual, this measurement should be 45.5" and mine is sitting at 45.25" .. Pretty sure I know the answer is that I need to redrill the rear fender well mounting holes so that it's at 45.5".... am I right or?

Screenshot 2024-02-14 111214.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    You are only making a 1/4" adjustment, so I would be concerned that the new body mount hole would overlap the existing one - which can lead to several problems. I would be tempted to leave well enough alone. You are going to be trimming the doors to fit anyway, so why open yourself up to more issues?

If there is some other reason the 45.5" dimension is critical, I'm sure one of the more experienced builders will chime in.

Keith HR #894

3. Likes Just 1 More liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you have a roof that 1/2” could make a difference where the A pillars meet the body.
    The back inside of the roof should be even with the inner part of the body so the A pillars will be further toward the rear.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    If you have a roof that 1/2” could make a difference where the A pillars meet the body.
    The back inside of the roof should be even with the inner part of the body so the A pillars will be further toward the rear.
    And that is my concern. Especially with the soft top.

Post Thanks / Like
    In the back there is a spacer between the body and the frame hole. You could bond a metal plate to both sides of the body and then re-drill the hole.
    Trim that spacer down the thickness of the inner metal plate. If you have spare pieces of fiberglass you could also use it instead of metal.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

7. Likes Just 1 More liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    For what it's worth, mine was 3/16" off and I left it alone and had no issues with the soft top. I never ordered the hard top for my 33 so can't speak to if the measurement being off would affect the HT or not.

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

9. Likes Just 1 More liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can confirm this is critical for the hard top. I had the measurement spot on as per the manual and still had to patch and re drill the LHS rear mounting point.

Sounds like you are using a soft top but for reference, if using the hard top it would make sense to fit the hard top prior to fixing the body in position. Ensure the style lines at the A pillar & rear of the door line up, then fix the body.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ran into this too and my question was where are you measuring to exactly in the back of the passenger compartment. From what others have said it is to the top of the curve not the vertical flat as the body curves down to the waterfall. Measure again where I suggest as it may be at the correct 45.5 already.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.