Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: NuHale 65 Coupe Build Thread - Leak Down Test Results

Post Thanks / Like

NuHale 65 Coupe Build Thread - Leak Down Test Results

Wasn't planning on it this early in 24' but with the announced sale and potential for price increase I decided now better time than ever and jumped in first thing today. Deposit down with an end of May pickup planned. Looking forward to the build as even though I love my MKIV I really miss the building process.

Went with a 65 Base Coupe kit. Build plan has been underway and already have a good amount of parts but a quick list of build plan:

Base Kit
    IRS
    Front FFR LCA
    TKX (unsure of gear)
    Coyote (TBD on pullout or crate) I'm leaning towards a GEN 2 if I can find one reasonable.
    Forced induction (pref centrifugal but fit will be issue)
    Mustang cut out rear end (10k) with 3.55 differential (may swap to 3.31 gearing) brakes, spindles etc.
    Forgestar F14 19"
    Rear 15+ IRS single piston brake (13" rotor) and 2004 Cobra SVT Fronts (13" Rotor)

First question to the forum is on IRON vs. Alum Diff. I see lots of posts on this but with the power I'm planning guessing an Iron housing is ideal.

more to come but pumped to get going!
    Last edited by nuhale; 04-03-2024 at 07:04 PM.
    MKIV #7275 Acquired June 2019 (2010 partial build), Gen 2 Coyote by Forte w/TK600- PRO 5.0 - McLeod RST twin Clutch-QT Bell, old style IRS, 8.8 3.55 Rear, Gas'n Headers/Pipes, Power Steering, Hydroboost by Forte, Breeze Roll Bar, Heated Seats, 17" halibrand w/ Nitto G2, Maradyne Fan Controller, Paul Proe Vent Kit, Russ Thompson Signal w/ FTP- Received June 2019/First Start April 2020/Go Cart May 2020/Legal September 2020/PAINT BY SPOTLIGHT CUSTOMS JAN 2021

2. Likes Al_C, cv2065 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! I took the plunge today too! Coupe complete kit. I also wasn't quite ready, but FOMO kicked in with the sale and upcoming price hike

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!!
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm Jealous!
    Congratulations!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have new in box front two piece spindles if you’re interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    Congrats!!
    thx Chad- hope your build going well
    MKIV #7275 Acquired June 2019 (2010 partial build), Gen 2 Coyote by Forte w/TK600- PRO 5.0 - McLeod RST twin Clutch-QT Bell, old style IRS, 8.8 3.55 Rear, Gas'n Headers/Pipes, Power Steering, Hydroboost by Forte, Breeze Roll Bar, Heated Seats, 17" halibrand w/ Nitto G2, Maradyne Fan Controller, Paul Proe Vent Kit, Russ Thompson Signal w/ FTP- Received June 2019/First Start April 2020/Go Cart May 2020/Legal September 2020/PAINT BY SPOTLIGHT CUSTOMS JAN 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbl7td View Post
    I have new in box front two piece spindles if you’re interested.
    thx for the offer but the base coupe kit now comes with spindles... need Front LCA if anyone has.

Post Thanks / Like
    so will this be "cubcoupe" on the plate? oh wait, that's too many letters, isn't it.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! Love our Coupe. Only said that about hundred times now... For the IRS center section, when Factory Five first released that new design IRS, they said iron case only. Since then, they've changed that to say either iron or aluminum. Unless you're planning super sticky tires, like drag slicks or whatever, either is fine. Even then the center section probably wouldn't be the weakest link. Probably the CV axles. That's one of the first things the Mustang performance guys upgrade.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    As I went with the base kit still sourcing some parts. Picked up a set of rear IRS spindles, RF wiring harness, Brock racing mirrors amongst other small parts. Also planned on doing a full mustang cut out to supply the brakes, spindles and differential but with the deal I got on new spindles I'm probably going new differential (3.55). Still plan on used rear brakes and will rebuild and powdercoat. Lucked out on a Gen 2 coyote pullout with 12k miles. Still planning on a TKX but can be talked out of for a T56. I scored a new QT6080 bellhousing for half of what they are going for these days and with the T56 a grand more wondering if I will really see a value here or put the money somewhere else.

Picking up engine this week and will need a little work. Missing valve covers and as I'm planning a boost build (leaning towards VMP Loki/Odin or gen3r) plan to put in a boundary OPG/cam sprocket and considering pulling the heads to inspect pistons, and swap to ARP head stems. I've heard both sides of this and that they may not be needed. Will also swap pan and pickup and add B302 alt and a mustang compressor as I will add AC. No hydro pump on this one as plan to go with E-power steering. Opinions welcome!
    Last edited by nuhale; 02-19-2024 at 10:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nuhale View Post
    As I went with the base kit still sourcing some parts. Picked up a set of rear IRS spindles, RF wiring harness, Brock racing mirrors amongst other small parts. Also planned on doing a full mustang cut out to supply the brakes, spindles and differential but with the deal I got on new spindles I'm probably going new differential (3.55). Still plan on used rear brakes and will rebuild and powdercoat. Lucked out on a Gen 2 coyote pullout with 12k miles. Still planning on a TKX but can be talked out of for a T56. I scored a new QT6080 bellhousing for half of what they are going for these days and with the T56 a grand more wondering if I will really see a value here or put the money somewhere else.

Picking up engine this week and will need a little work. Missing valve covers and as I'm planning a boost build (leaning towards VMP Loki/Odin or gen3r) plan to put in a boundary OPG/cam sprocket and considering pulling the heads to inspect pistons, and swap to ARP head stems. I've heard both sides of this and that they may not be needed. Will also swap pan and pickup and add B302 alt and a mustang compressor as I will add AC. No hydro pump on this one as plan to go with E-power steering. Opinions welcome!
    I assume you know that 6060 bell is good for your TKX, but not the T56. That requires an 8080. That may sway your decision, I don't know. I love the T56 in my Coupe. Really like the two overdrive ratios. I like the reverse lockout, although maybe not appreciated by everyone since it adds a little work on the installation. The T56 shifts like butter. Something the TKO wouldn't do at the time I built mine. Unless modded, e.g. Liberty Gears which I did a couple times. The TKX by all accounts solves the shift issue. So that makes the decision a little harder. The T56 + Coyote fits into the Gen 3 Coupe without any drama. Bottom line for me, I would do a T56 again.

I had electric PS my truck. First time I've tried it after multiple builds with traditional hydraulic PS. I personally didn't care for the feel of it. I've heard others say the same thing. But others like it. Obviously, very subjective. My experience on my last two builds was the KRC pump with good quality racks. Outstanding setup.
    Last edited by edwardb; 02-19-2024 at 04:53 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I assume you know that 6060 bell is good for your TKX, but not the T56. That requires an 8080. That may sway your decision, I don't know. I love the T56 in my Coupe. Really like the two overdrive ratios. I like the reverse lockout, although maybe not appreciated by everyone since it adds a little work on the installation. The T56 shifts like butter. Something the TKO wouldn't do at the time I built mine. Unless modded, e.g. Liberty Gears which I did a couple times. The TKX by all accounts solves the shift issue. So that makes the decision a little harder. The T56 + Coyote fits into the Gen 3 Coupe without any drama. Bottom line for me, I would do a T56 again.

I had electric PS my truck. First time I've tried it after multiple builds with traditional hydraulic PS. I personally didn't care for the feel of it. I've heard others say the same thing. But others like it. Obviously, very subjective. My experience on my last two builds was the KRC pump with good quality racks. Outstanding setup.
    Thanks for the feedback Paul. I'm sure I'll seek you out in June at LCS to talk some more shop. I do know the details on the bellhousing. Just saw this one a few weeks ago and couldn't pass on it so even if I did make a change in my build plan I would offer it up to another builder. Still in disbelief that the QT bells have almost doubled in cost in just a few short years... such is life these days. Thanks for the e-power steering feedback. I have a Forte saginaw pump setup on my MKIV. I've been really happy with the feel. It powers my hydroboost as well. I have the manual rack from the roadster build so was considering just using that with the epower and save a few bucks. Certainly do some more research on the options. Not a huge thing to change but need to be aware of front engine belt space with considerations of a blower.

Post Thanks / Like
    Showing my ignorance here, but I have to ask this question: if you are concerned about the ability of the cam sprockets to handle the power you expect, what about the crank and connecting rods? I would think that the parts are matched to handle the same amount of power from the factory. Are the sprockets the weakest link?
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    Showing my ignorance here, but I have to ask this question: if you are concerned about the ability of the cam sprockets to handle the power you expect, what about the crank and connecting rods? I would think that the parts are matched to handle the same amount of power from the factory. Are the sprockets the weakest link?
    It can start a debate but a well-known weakness of the coyote is the oil pump gear. It's a cast part and has shown failure at high RPM situations. Many just swap it out with a billet gear from boundry. Common swap but have heard both sides of it. Not a huge change when engine in on stand and a cheap insurance policy. All other stock components are pretty durable and can handle boost. Only other area may be the ARP head studs which is another easy one if I'm getting into the engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    It can start a debate but a well-known weakness of the coyote is the oil pump gear. It's a cast part and has shown failure at high RPM situations. Many just swap it out with a billet gear from boundry. Common swap but have heard both sides of it. Not a huge change when engine in on stand and a cheap insurance policy. All other stock components are pretty durable and can handle boost. Only other area may be the ARP head studs which is another easy one if I'm getting into the engine.
    Thanks, Bryan! I appreciate the explanation. Thanks for indulging me!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm feeling you on the sale, wasn't exactly ready to start my build, but I'm about to put down a deposit too before I have to pay $5k more a year from now.... Damn marketing lol

Post Thanks / Like

Engine in the Shop

Parts are still arriving daily. Looks like I'll be driving out to Wareham just before Memorial day to pick up my coupe. Put some feelers out for an engine and ended up buying a "donor" engine from D-Mark performance here in Chicago area. It's a gen 2 coyote with around 12K miles on it. The previous owner wanted a 1000+HP monster built so they did a forged/sleeved block with performance heads. They used his existing engine as a donor to all the parts. I bought what was left over. Did inventory and much parts needed but in the end I will get a low mileage gen 2 with upgraded parts. Actually having fun going through all the engine schematics/service manuals to get the hardware and parts. Picked up the engine yesterday and got it on the engine stand.

Pulled out the micro camera and took a inspection peek in the cylinders. A little carbon build up and the cylinder walls look really good.

Opened up my new oil pump and replaced with a boundary OPG. My son and I did a quick experiment dropping the gear and was surprised to see that it does snap with a drop. 2 drops and it snapped in half. I didn't swap this gear on my roadster engine. I know this has been debated in many forums but as long as I'm rebuilding this engine and it's open, why not swap...

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the call from FFR this week that my coupe will be ready in just a few weeks. Squared up so ready for pickup memorial day weekend. Going to also swing by Mike Forte and pickup a T56 magnum and meet him in person after years of phone conversations.

Made some progress last couple days. Went with the spectra F12B tank. My roadster tank fuel pickup cup just has a hole in the size to allow fuel to enter. This one has a nice bottom form that looks like it will give a better fill and reduce slosh. I notice when my tank is around 1/4"ish" and I get on it that the engine is starved of fuel. Looks like this one will be improved. Took some time degreasing the surface and giving it a couple coats of POR15.

I wasn't planning on pulling the heads of the engine but got a heck of a deal on some ARP head studs. Given the state of the engine now is the best time to do it. Got everything pulled apart, inspected and cleaned up. Used a dremel brass cup brush to clean up the pistons and valve with WD40. All shiny and clean with new ford performance head gaskets and ARP studs. Destroyed the cam phaser filters getting them out so waiting on new ones to arrive to keep progressing. Overall everything looks great. Plan to do a leak down test to appease my OCD. Picked up a harbor freight kit but the M14 adapter doesnt fit the deep spark plug socket so waiting on an adapter to complete. Will update results once I get the part.

Last edited by nuhale; 04-01-2024 at 03:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a lot of fun!!
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good buddy!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Received the adapter and had a free hour tonight so just did the leak down test on the Gen 2 coyote. Results pretty darn good. As written the engine is a pull out donor that was reported to have around 12k miles. This gives me big peace of mind to move forward. Just a small plug for the harbor freight tester. I've used the older one and that one is a POS to say the least. This one is either a dead on knock off of the OTC or made by same supplier. It is identical in every way. Works great!

Last edited by nuhale; 04-03-2024 at 07:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good news! Oh wait, didn't you say something about OCD? Never mind. On another note, how many miles do you have on your Mark IV? I bet these two engines are close, mileage-wise. I'm glad this is working out for you and I think the coupe engine is going to be incredible! I think this whole adventure is really worthwhile!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    Good news! Oh wait, didn't you say something about OCD? Never mind. On another note, how many miles do you have on your Mark IV? I bet these two engines are close, mileage-wise. I'm glad this is working out for you and I think the coupe engine is going to be incredible! I think this whole adventure is really worthwhile!
    Just under 11k I think. I’m gonna try and bring her home from storage this weekend if the weather holds. Aren’t you in Texas Al?

Post Thanks / Like
    Aren’t you in Texas Al?
    Nope. Too many conflicts, and too long a drive. I will be at LCS, though!