Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: upper control arm "10 degree" question

Post Thanks / Like

upper control arm "10 degree" question

I am assembling a set of adjustable control arms from parts. I now there is a 10 degree "cant" between the upper arm and the ball joint plate. I don't want to assemble this upside down. So, the easiest way to pose the question and avoid confusion:
    If the upper arm is installed and perfectly horizontal, does the ball joint plate at the end tilt "up" 10 degrees or does the ball joint plate tilt "down" 10 degrees?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ball joint angles outward. Grease fittings on the cross shaft point up. Note that this is a Mk4 with FFR spindles so it will look somewhat different than your Mk1 but that doesn't change the UCA configuration.

Jeff

3. Thanks ProfessorB thanked for this post
    Likes ProfessorB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff.....I've only been on here a short while and your posts (and the help they provide) are showing up quite a lot. THANK YOU.
    I THINK I understand the answer (you're right about my own spindles being different) but just to make sure I "get it".....if the upper arm itself was perfectly level....then the ball joint plate would be tilted "up" 10 degrees and angling the ball joint "outward" ....correct? (just making sire I understand correctly)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorB View Post
    Jeff.....I've only been on here a short while and your posts (and the help they provide) are showing up quite a lot. THANK YOU.
    I THINK I understand the answer (you're right about my own spindles being different) but just to make sure I "get it".....if the upper arm itself was perfectly level....then the ball joint plate would be tilted "up" 10 degrees and angling the ball joint "outward" ....correct? (just making sire I understand correctly)
    Yes. That photo shows suspension at full droop.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Prof....looks like the pics I sent you, only mine were fully loaded suspension. Also, you're cross-shaft will be on top. And as noted, your spindles will be different.
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by weendoggy View Post
    Prof....looks like the pics I sent you, only mine were fully loaded suspension. Also, you're cross-shaft will be on top. And as noted, your spindles will be different.
    Glenn, you were spot on. I thank you for the help and the phone calls. There is only one other thing perplexing me. The SPC directions say to orient the upper arms to the specific side (left vs. right side). The cross shaft can esily be unbolted and "flipped" end for end to keep the grease fittings (of the cross shaft) on "top".
    But the directions ALSO say the "solid tube" side of the ball joint plate (the side with female threads but no "pivot") should be the leading edge of the ball joint plate, meanng toward the front while the "pivot bolt" side of the ball joint plate should be the trailing edge...REGARDLESS OF SIDE (left or right). The problem is the only way that can happen (on the passenger side) is by flipping the ball joint plate upside down. IF THIS IS DONE THE PLATE WILL BE 10 DEGREES IN THE WRONG DIRECTION. I can see where flipping the plate will work if there's no 10 degree offset....but with the offset this is impossible. I will probably call SPC tech line tomorrow. I am wondering if the "tube" side needs to be leading edge....
    Also Glenn, as you have suggested I picked up some permatex "anti-seize" for the threads....
    Last edited by ProfessorB; 02-18-2024 at 05:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorB View Post
    ...But the directions ALSO say the "solid tube" side of the ball joint plate (the side with female threads but no "pivot") should be the leading edge of the ball joint plate, meanng toward the front while the "pivot bolt" side of the ball joint plate should be the trailing edge...REGARDLESS OF SIDE (left or right). The problem is the only way that can happen (on the passenger side) is by flipping the ball joint plate upside down. IF THIS IS DONE THE PLATE WILL BE 10 DEGREES IN THE WRONG DIRECTION. I can see where flipping the plate will work if there's no 10 degree offset....but with the offset this is impossible. I will probably call SPC tech line tomorrow. I am wondering if the "tube" side needs to be leading edge....
    The upper arms are not mirror imaged side to side with the angled ball joint plate however with a zero degree plate they can be. When using the angled ball joint the driver's side will have the fixed/welded end at the front and on the passenger side it will be at the rear. As you said it's not possible. This does not matter for alignment purposes.

Carry on!

Jeff

9. Thanks ProfessorB thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What Jeff said is EXACTLY what I told you on the phone.
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm

11. Thanks ProfessorB thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by weendoggy View Post
    What Jeff said is EXACTLY what I told you on the phone.
    Yes it is Glenn.... you gave me so much useful information and help I just couldn't remember it all.