Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: More fuel smell

Post Thanks / Like

More fuel smell

A while ago I removed the charcoal canister which was saturated with fuel. Being vetted to the air I could always smell gas when it was parked in the garage. Removing the canister reduced a lot of the fuel smell.
    Yesterday I discovered the fuel injection hoses that came with my kit were leaking fuel thru the hoses. The hoses weren’t actually wet however if you touch them your hand smells of gas. I don’t know if these lines are PTFE, probably not.
    I just ordered PTFE lines and new fittings.
    Gonna have to remove the roof and raise the body to get at the connections at the top of the tank.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree on removing the roof Jim, not sure if the body needs to be raised though.

When I had my vapor lock issue 2 years ago where I added a 1/4" fuel line I remember after removing the waterfall I was able to get my hand in between body & the gas tank. I believe there was enough flex on that portion of the body where I stacked a couple small pieces of 2x4s flat on each other which gave me 3" of room so I could move my hands around in there.

I know I did not raise the body at least in the sense of removing any hardware and "raising" it.

Jim.
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, that’s some good news, I wasn’t looking forward to removing the doors to lift the body up. 2-3” should be good.
    I’ll remove the rear bolt in each fender well.
    New fuel lines should be here on Monday.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55

4. Likes 33fromSD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know this is blasphemous, but I have strongly considered, and actually will if building another, put a removable panel in the rear deck directly over the top fittings on the fuel tank. That is if I do not build a custom tank that is less than 8 inches high under the deck

6. Likes JimLev liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW I am running Fragola PTFE fuel lines, have been on the car now for about 3.5 years and still no fuel smells. Fingers crossed.
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

8. Likes JimLev, wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fman View Post
    FWIW I am running Fragola PTFE fuel lines, have been on the car now for about 3.5 years and still no fuel smells. Fingers crossed.
    What Fragola lines are you running? I just posted in another thread asking a similar question. I am getting ready to plan out my fuel lines and the stainless steel braided PTFE kit that I bought 4 years ago turns out to have pretty crappy reviews and I am thinking I should probably do something different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just wasted an hour trying to type an analysis of my 10 year battle with fuel tank issues. Timed out so lost it prior to hitting the reply button. I believe the high design of the existing tanks are going to always cause a problem eventually due to dust, fuel residue, and other issues with the vent including the path of the vent tube. Nothing can get effectively higher than the filler tube opening and very little can get as high. Over time, the field canister charcoal, gas smell, and filling problems are going to recur. I saw a tank last night that I will use on my next FFR Hotrod. It is a 16 gallon tank, does not present clearance issues with the trunk hinges, allows a steep exit of the vent tube with a loop higher than the filler neck opening. Here is a tank I think would work well.

IMG_3270.jpg

11. Likes JimLev liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bill, will that tank fit in the same location the FFR tank is now?
    I’m pretty fed up with the gas smell too and 3-4 more gallons of fuel would be a plus.
    Got a link to that tank?
    Last edited by JimLev; 04-01-2024 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Typo

13. Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to check it tonight, just got in from a week long trip. I'll post up some thoughts

15. Likes JimLev liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paynerc View Post
    What Fragola lines are you running? I just posted in another thread asking a similar question. I am getting ready to plan out my fuel lines and the stainless steel braided PTFE kit that I bought 4 years ago turns out to have pretty crappy reviews and I am thinking I should probably do something different.
    I am using Fragola 3/8" PTFE lines. I was told by a few Fragola was one of the better lines out there but I am definitely no expert. You can take a look at my install in the attached link. As noted up to this point 3.5 years later I have no smell of fuel.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post427604
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wrp View Post
    Just wasted an hour trying to type an analysis of my 10 year battle with fuel tank issues. Timed out so lost it prior to hitting the reply button.
    IMG_3270.jpg
    Any time you are going to write a long post, either copy the text periodically to keep a working copy or draft your post in Word and then cut and paste into a new post. Frustrating, but you can avoid having the issue happen again. Just about all of us have been bit at some point in time, welcome to the club.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

18. Thanks wrp thanked for this post
    Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wrp View Post
    I know this is blasphemous, but I have strongly considered, and actually will if building another, put a removable panel in the rear deck directly over the top fittings on the fuel tank. That is if I do not build a custom tank that is less than 8 inches high under the deck
    Not blasphemous at all, smart and making your car more maintainable is an improvement. Those that think such a mod does not belong have never had to drop the tank yet! When my chassis was trailered down to DaBats shop to have the newly painted body put on, he and Frank of I.E. 427 picked on me a bunch for using #6 rivnuts to hold down those rounded rectangular access panels above the tank. Not so foolish when I needed access to replace a fuel line a few years later. I have made so many mods to my restomod Mustang just for maintainability that you want to do it while you have access, not when you NEED access. This one is a no brainer for me, just do it and ignore those that think you are doing too much. In my book often too much is just enough.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

20. Thanks wrp thanked for this post
    Likes wrp liked this post