Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Frontend Alignment Clarification 2.0

Post Thanks / Like

Frontend Alignment Clarification 2.0

Appreciate the replies from my previous post on this subject. I've been trying to get some baseline measurements concerning the frontend alignment on my early Gen 1 car. After setting the toe, camber, & caster on one wheel as close as possible it appeared that I have run out of camber adjustment (everything, Linkage Adjuster to tube & Clevis to Linkage Adjuster has bottomed out). Taking a clue from some other builders with early cars with this problem I trimmed a 1/2" off the rear lower control arm tube. Trimming the 1/2" reduced the length of the rear lower control arm from the zerk to the center of the bolt from 14" to 13-1/2" which, if I understand it correctly, is the same dimension as the revised FFR arms.

My questions are:

- How much thread engagement is considered a safe amount? The Linkage Adjuster engages the lower control arm tube itself 7/8" after cutting the tube & getting the camber set pretty close & still having a small amount of adjustment. This measurement doesn't include the jam nut. Is this enough thread engagement?

- It also looks like I may have to trim the female end of the Linkage Adjuster & the possibly the male end of the Clevis a little just to give a little more adjustability. How much thread engagement should I shoot for between the Linkage Adjuster & the Clevis if I need to trim some more?

Thanks,

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure seems like a topic Factory Five should be involved with. Yours isn't the first Gen 1 Hot Rod and the front end setup should be known. In theory, without cutting or modifying.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    The standard I was told years ago is as follows:

The minimum recommended thread engagement to make a strong connection for a component with a tapped hole is approximately 1 times the nominal diameter in steel and 2 times the nominal diameter in aluminum.

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, that was what I was taught in engineering school...

Keith HR #894