Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Leather Hood Straps

Post Thanks / Like

Leather Hood Straps

Does anyone have experience using leather hood straps with their build?

Are the holes in the hood and trunk pre-drilled?

I would like to install something like this - https://www.ebay.com/itm/22603550847...xoCxqoQAvD_BwE

Post Thanks / Like
    hood is not predrilled. for some reason, I remember the trunk latch hole was drilled, but might be mistaken.
    You could probably ask FFR not to drill the trunk lid latch hole or just fill it w/ body filler if it does come drilled.

3. Thanks KalaniFo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I seem to recall someone saying that the pre-drilled hole option was an all-or-nothing deal but I might be wrong. If it's possible to request the trunk latch hole not be drilled, I'd recommend that regardless of whether you're using leather straps or the FFR-provided latch. The hole is, for some unknown reason, always drilled off-center, requiring your painter to get creative with stripe layout if going with stripes. My Mk4 was a pre-25th anniversary kit. I decided to order a 25th anniversary style trunk lid to get a better license plate fit and asked them not to drill the latch hole, which made overall layout and latch placement much better. I have no idea why FFR continues to drill the hole in the wrong place.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

5. Thanks KalaniFo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    I seem to recall someone saying that the pre-drilled hole option was an all-or-nothing deal but I might be wrong. If it's possible to request the trunk latch hole not be drilled, I'd recommend that regardless of whether you're using leather straps or the FFR-provided latch. The hole is, for some unknown reason, always drilled off-center, requiring your painter to get creative with stripe layout if going with stripes. My Mk4 was a pre-25th anniversary kit. I decided to order a 25th anniversary style trunk lid to get a better license plate fit and asked them not to drill the latch hole, which made overall layout and latch placement much better. I have no idea why FFR continues to drill the hole in the wrong place.
    That is correct. When I ordered my kit last year, I asked them if they would cut everything except roll bar holes (I’m going no bars), and they said it’s all or nothing. So I have to cut everything myself.
    MKIV Complete Kit # 207585
    Ordered 8/19/2023. Completion date 11/11/23. Delivery date 11/27/23

Build Thread: http://https://thefactoryfiveforum.c...577#post535577

7. Thanks KalaniFo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Think looking at the underside of the buckle they might do a number on your paint.

In the early 1960's had the SS version of this exact car down to the color, main visual difference was an open air scoop on right the side of the hood & roll bar.

The hood strap had an additional piece of leather that covered the underside of the buckle. No metal was exposed to the paint. The other thing you can see if you look close is the sheepskin liner under the main straps.

A set like these from Murray Motorsport might work better long term
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-25-2024 at 09:26 AM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

9. Thanks KalaniFo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Actually John the trunk latch hole IS on center. It’s the license plate lamp blister that’s off center. It’s that way on both the pre and post 25th lids. But when laying out the stripes they have to hit the center of the plate lamp or they look stupid which means that we either move the handle to be equally off or do some tricks to fool the eye into not noticing. Just one of the FFR’s many charms like the off center and skewed hood, the cross eyed headlights, the crooked grille opening…

Jeff

11. Thanks KalaniFo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think the straps would work well on the hood. They need to be able to pull down like old MG straps do. On an FFR they will just be laying out flat so down downward pull. They could work on the trunk but wow, what a pain in the neck to undo two of them to open it.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

13. Thanks KalaniFo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is fantastic feedback.

Thank you all so much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Actually John the trunk latch hole IS on center. It’s the license plate lamp blister that’s off center. It’s that way on both the pre and post 25th lids. But when laying out the stripes they have to hit the center of the plate lamp or they look stupid which means that we either move the handle to be equally off or do some tricks to fool the eye into not noticing. Just one of the FFR’s many charms like the off center and skewed hood, the cross eyed headlights, the crooked grille opening…

Jeff
    Fair enough. I guess it's relative. Having the hole centered on the trunk lid but off-center from the plate lamp is sort of pointless, no?
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.