BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  13
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time to Design a New Shop

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    As many of you know, I'm moving to Missouri in a couple of weeks. I now have the opportunity to design and build another shop. Here is an initial design idea I've drafted up:

As drawn, the building is 50' wide x 30' deep with an additional 20' x 12' workshop and bathroom area. The center door on the front is 16' x 10' and the three smaller doors are 10' x 9'. The ceiling is 12' to accommodate a lift and the left bay is a drive-through for my tractor.

What would you all do differently? The size is constrained by the building envelope that I have, so I can't go bigger than the 1,740 square feet that I have with maybe some minor tweaks possible (a foot here or there).
    Lots of good thoughts here - I'll echo the radiant heat suggestion especially with high ceilings. It is way more comfortable to work when floor is actually radiating heat to you instead of sucking the heat out of you. Can actually keep the air temperature lower and still be comfortable. I also used a small tankless hot water heater and has been going strong for 10+ years.

I am curious what software you used to design the above?

Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smithtlw View Post

I am curious what software you used to design the above?

Todd
    The software I'm using for the design is DreamPlan Home Design, which has a free trial version you can order and download from Amazon. It's very basic, but enough to get some decent visuals. The non-trial version is $40.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1?ie=UTF8&th=1
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I use my computer in the garage all the time I haven't installed the smart TV on a swivel mount yet. (if no one mentioned it already..) You'll need more seating for all the visitors you'll have to marvel at the garage!!
    2022 MKIV BP347, SniperEFI, IRS. Delivered June 22, Engine install Jan 23, first start May 23.

4. Likes Papa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure you've taken this into consideration, but try to place your doors to get the best possible cross breeze and take that afternoon sun into account....I'm from Texas so my priorities are different. LOL. It gets plenty hot and humid in Missouri! One of the hottest days of my life was at an outdoor wedding in Joplin Mo. in August.

Bob
    Mk IV Roadster, 347/516 HP, 8 stack injection, Holley HP ECU, Astro Performance T5, 3-Link 4.10 gears, A/C, PS, PB Purchased 08/2015, Graduated 02/2017

6. Thanks Papa thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    3rd or 4th the radiant floor heating as well as mini-splits for AC/heat.
    Maybe a good size I-beam so you can hang a winch on it for pulling engines or anything heavy.
    I had 2 in my last house, they were very handy.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Heated floor, a blessing while building my Daytona.
    Electrical outlet on the ceiling, useful…once in a while.
    I don’t know but after getting a heated floor one must be careful not drilling into heating mesh or tubular if liquid heated.Just asking…

Francois

Post Thanks / Like
    Transom windows over garage door add some natural light when the doors are closed and I am all for radiant heat, I have 2 "garages" with radiant and there is nothing better in may opinion and for $75/month for 1400sq feet with 18 ft high celings in MA at 60 degrees I don't complain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12