Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Power steering rack recommendations

Post Thanks / Like

Power steering rack recommendations

Took my Gen3 Coupe for its first road test this weekend, all good but i'm not super happy with the FFR power steering rack, too fast for my taste (caster set at 7 degrees). I'm not planning on autocrossing this car and I'm looking for other options for a power steering rack that is not so quick. I know Rsnake uses a quick ratio rack from PSC for his autocross, I would like something slower. I reached out to Mark Reynolds and he was ordering his racks from unisteer (#8010460) however i'm not finding that rack on their website at this time. Any suggestions are welcome!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am running the PSC rack in my second coupe. Same ratio as the FFR unit but with much better feel. It is not so light. I drive it on the street as well the track and I really love it.

Post Thanks / Like
    First, I'd give it a little more time. First impressions are just that. You may find you get used to it after driving more. Second, what pump are you using? Maybe you're overboosted. Depending on what you have, there are ways to turn down the amount of boost.

I used the Unisteer (MAVAL Industries) rack from Breeze on a couple builds and like it very much. On my current Gen 3 Coupe. But last I heard, Breeze doesn't offer it any more. Don't think you'll find it on Unisteer's website since it was a custom part. My buddy needed a new rack for his Challenge Roadster. Mark at Breeze recommended a BBB INDUSTRIES N1010106. New (vs. reman), good quality, 3 turns. $237 at Rock Auto. But does need extensions added. That's what my buddy installed. He's happy with it. Seems high quality. FWIW.
    Last edited by edwardb; 03-20-2024 at 05:24 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    The FFR rack is 15:1 ratio (approximately 3 turns lock to lock depending on limiters). The only other power racks available are quicker 18:1 ratio (about 2.5 L-L). As has been mentioned you might be overboosted; i.e., Saginaw pump with a Ford/FFR rack. If the pump and rack are matched you can cut down the assist via a couple of different methods such as cutting the pressure relief spring or using a Heidt's adjustable valve. As Paul said though it might just be a matter of getting a little more seat time to get acclimated---these cars do everything more quickly than just about any daily driver!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies. We’ll give it some time and see how it goes.