Just got off the phone with a FFR engineer and had a VERY productive discussion about this. Here's what I learned.

The tolerances that I have been trying to achieve based on internet searches can be too restrictive. The MAIN concern is to get the the relative angle between the tranny shaft and pinion shaft to 2* or less (my internet sources said within 1/2*). He said at 2* or less, I will never have a vibration or wear problem on the roadster. He said they have cars with up to 5* difference in those two angles with no problems. So, my 2.5* would be fine, BUT if I can get it to 2*, it'll be great.

When doing this, the other angles I was concerned about was operating angles of u-joints. They'll be outside the 3* target I was looking for. He said 2 things about this... Up to 6* won't cause any problems. But even if you do exceed that, shorter life u-joints will be the result. I'm not worried about my u-joints lasting forever, I'm more worried about my rear end and tranny life.

Bottom line, he said the relative angle between the tranny and pinion shafts is the more important angle. So get it to 2* (or less) and don't worry about u-joint operating angles. Move on!

So, that's what I'm doing. At least now I feel like I've spoken to a knowledgeable engineer (at FFR) that not only understood my concerns, but had the knowledge to convince me my concerns were not as bad as imagined.

Thanks to all that have offered their insights and suggestions!