Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  10

Thread: My Sling TSi Airplane Build Walkaround Video

Post Thanks / Like

My Sling TSi Airplane Build Walkaround Video

Many on here know I've taken a time out on car builds and am building an airplane. Really interesting project so far which I'm enjoying a lot. Surprising number of similarities to a Factory Five build. Discussions among builders about upgrades, backordered parts, errors in the manual, builders posting questions that are explained in the manual (), etc. But obviously a lot of differences too. No discussion about too many Clecos. More like I have multiple hundreds and still run out. No discussions about pulling rivets by hand. I don't have a count. But thousands. And the Factory Five .040 thick aluminum seems heavy duty in comparison. The airplane is mostly .018 and .020 thick.

Anyway, today I did a walkaround video that maybe some will find interesting. BTW, still checking the forum daily (or more), posting, and answering PM's.

Last edited by edwardb; 03-27-2024 at 09:53 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very impressive! After following your coupe build I convinced myself that I could also build one and I have. But I have to admit that I will not be building an airplane. You are way out of my league with this. Keep us posted as you reach the finish line.

Scott
    Scott Pregont
    Present build: 65 Daytona Coupe #393 - Forte 427 EFI crate w/TKX 2.87/ .81 - Ordered 11/16/21 - Delivered 6/23/2022
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...na-Coupe-build
    My Albums
    Special Tools, Custom Parts, misc supplies: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2045
    Garage Pics: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2041
    POR15 First Try: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2068
    Silicone application tips: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2063

3. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Enjoy the build. As a long time member, may I suggest an EAA membership. Good folks and a valuable resource.

5. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Davis View Post
    Enjoy the build. As a long time member, may I suggest an EAA membership. Good folks and a valuable resource.
    Thanks. Agreed. I am a member. The link to my build website noted in the video comments (https://eaabuilderslog.org?s=PaulTSi) is provided by EAA.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good Paul!

Nice work, as always

Did you have to bend, cut, and/or shape any of the other support panels? I noticed quite a few flared holes. Did you have to form those?

Craig C

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work Paul. Do you get a chance to fly much in the winter months?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cc2Arider View Post
    Looks good Paul!

Nice work, as always

Did you have to bend, cut, and/or shape any of the other support panels? I noticed quite a few flared holes. Did you have to form those?

Craig C
    Thanks. No bending or cutting. The precision as provided is amazing. The majority of the shaped parts, e.g. wing and empannage leading and trailing edges, the curves visible in the video around the bottom of the fuselage, etc. are all completed at the factory. Again, the fit is excellent. There are a very small number of parts that are provided flat and they are bent as you install them. Like the rear fuselage top skins that aren't installed yet. The skins are provided flat. But they curve around the bulkheads as you install. Because of the thickness of the material (thin...) and the soft curve, not difficult.

The second part of your question is actually what's called dimpling. Most of the material used is too thin for traditional countersinking. So anywhere a flush rivet is used, the material is dimpled. Basically stretches the aluminum to create a countersink "pocket." Including any underlying layers so they all fit together. Where the layers attach to a solid structure, e.g. the wing sheeting along the wing spars, the spar solid structure has a regular countersink. Everything else dimpled. Pretty interesting how it all works and as I understand pretty standard aviation practice. On the video, the front approx 1/3 of the fuselage is flush rivets so the skin had to be dimpled. On the wings and empannage pieces, high percentage of flush rivets. So lots of dimpling there too. There were a handful of small pieces with factory dimpling. Balance is part of your work as the builder. Some of the big sheets, like the wing skins, are interesting to handle. The build manual has diagrams of where dimples are required on all the pieces. The tool used is this one. With various dies for the different rivet sizes and angles.

Last edited by edwardb; 03-28-2024 at 12:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincy123 View Post
    Nice work Paul. Do you get a chance to fly much in the winter months?
    Thanks. I haven't mentioned it here. But I did back when I talked about an airplane build. I’m not a pilot. A few hours of training including a logbook with my son listed as the CFI which I’m very proud of. But I never completed anything and don’t expect I will. So, what am I going to do with this thing when it’s done? Again, I don’t have the final answer. I’m doing it because I’ve always wanted to and I love the build process. That’s enough for now. I would love to keep it in the family. But I haven’t gotten a clear signal from my son that he’s going to fly in it. A career in certified airplanes and now a professional safety manager, he has some reservations about experimental. Even though the Sling TSi, by all accounts is a robust and very safe airplane. Plus, it will be very carefully built. But I understand. It definitely would be sellable, so that’s an option. So is possibly donating. We’ll see when the time comes.

If you're really bored, the complete post is here: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post524707

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Paul, I am currently an FAA FSDO Airworthiness Inspector in Wichita. Grew up in a nearby town of Lake Orion (Shelby Township). Nice work so far. If you haven't already, I would reach out to the local Flight Standards District office and give them a heads up. Not sure if it would be the Detroit or Grand Rapids office. Keeping them in the loop and understanding what they will be looking for when the time comes for Certificate issuance and Registration. I know that having personnel build logs is something they would be asking for when your are ready.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter123 View Post
    Paul, I am currently an FAA FSDO Airworthiness Inspector in Wichita. Grew up in a nearby town of Lake Orion (Shelby Township). Nice work so far. If you haven't already, I would reach out to the local Flight Standards District office and give them a heads up. Not sure if it would be the Detroit or Grand Rapids office. Keeping them in the loop and understanding what they will be looking for when the time comes for Certificate issuance and Registration. I know that having personnel build logs is something they would be asking for when your are ready.
    Thanks for your comments. Much appreciated. I have a full package of instructions and documents from EAA for that process. Plus I'm working with a build center here in Michigan (2 hours away) where I've attended a couple workshops. The plan now is paint and final assembly will be there. They have a DAR they work. They deal with the FAA processes so really counting on them. All I've done to date is reserve my N number. I'm documenting everything in written logs and pictures. Plus recording work time using an app on my phone. Think I have it covered for now. But we'll see. Knowing the little I know now about what it takes to get an airplane legal, kind of puts what we have to do with our car builds in a different perspective.