Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Fuel system plumbing questions

Post Thanks / Like

Question Fuel system plumbing questions

After 4 years of not making any progress on the car I am back at it. When I left off in March 2020 I had collected everything I thought I was going to need to plumb in the fuel system. Currently I have the following:

• Mk4 Roadster with the 427 Blueprint engine and TKO600 transmission and IRS setup
    • Breeze fuel pickup (I can't find it on their site at the moment and I don't have the part number with me)
    • Holley 162-553 100 micron fuel filter
    • Holley 12-802-1 Blue electric fuel pump (which came with the Blueprint engine)
    • Holley 162-563 40 micron fuel filter
    • Holley 12-803BP Bypass regulator
    • Breeze 70750 06AN High Flow Fuel Return Kit
    • Breeze 70648 Big Bore Vent Check Valve Kit

My plan was to run -6AN stainless steel braided PTFE hose from rear to front. I am trying to figure out the best place to mount this fuel pump. On the FB groups, I have seen folks mount it to the rear of the 4" round frame rail. From looking at it, it seems like there will be interference with the IRS in that location. I am looking for ideas and pictures where people with similar setups are mounting the pump and friends.

2. Likes bill1982 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    you might have room along the horizontal portion of the trunk frame or the vertical portion going down to the 4" frame rail.
    did you ever consider an in-tank pump? much quieter and runs cooler. you'd need a new pump hanger and pump, but would free up some room as well for a filter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by egchewy79 View Post
    did you ever consider an in-tank pump?
    Well, originally I figured I would use what came with the engine and bought the supplies to make that work. But then when I started looking at where to put all the things I realized I might have trouble. It has been suggested that I "mount" the blue pump in the garbage can... lol

much quieter and runs cooler.
    Are these external electric pumps really that loud?

Do you have a recommendation on an in-tank pump and hangar? I am starting to wonder if that might be the better approach to take here.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can use a stock Mustang fuel pickup with pump hanger, I bought mine from Rock Auto. I drilled out the inlet and outlet tubes a bit as they are smaller than the fuel lines and will restrict flow a bit. On my 347 I wasnt concerned about this, but with a 427 it may be an issue. Pro M has built a hanger with larger ports for these cases (https://www.promracing.com/high-flow...-mustangs.html)
    For a fuel pump, many use Walbro. I used their 255lph internal pump, but you may need one with more flow for higher hp
    Mk 4 complete kit w/IRS delivered (mostly) 10-31-22. BPE 347FI w/TXK.

Post Thanks / Like
    JJK,

Thanks for the info and the link. I am starting to think that maybe This Is The Way forward. Looks like I have amassed more parts that will go on the Not Used pile.

Post Thanks / Like
    I found the options for mounting the external pump for my build (BPE 347 carb) not the greatest. I went with the pro M tank hanger and mounted an aeromotive regulator on the firewall. This has worked flawless and made for a very clean install. I have heard internal pumps last longer due to the fuel bath cooling and are noticeably quieter. May not be what you want to hear since you already have the components listed but may be worth considering. I have a friend that has the external pump mounted low on the frame back by the right rear wheel and has had no problems.
    Ordered 9/24/2020, Delivered 1/18/2021 MK4 Roadster, 3 Link, 15" Halibrands, Blueprint Carb 347/TKX Installed 3/13/2022, first start 10/2022, go cart 11/2022, CA SB100 Reg Complete 12/2023

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy O View Post
    I have a friend that has the external pump mounted low on the frame back by the right rear wheel and has had no problems.
    Does your friend run an IRS? I'm worried about clearance back there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear your build is going again! I built and plumbed my filter/regulator on an aluminum plate and mounted to to the downtubes that support the fuel tank.
    Made it pretty straightforward and easy to plumb, plus utilitized some otherwise empty space.

----------------------------------------------

Jeff
    Roadster delivered 8/27/23
    Chevrolet Performance LS3
    Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRRT View Post
    I built and plumbed my filter/regulator on an aluminum plate and mounted to to the downtubes that support the fuel tank.
    Made it pretty straightforward and easy to plumb, plus utilitized some otherwise empty space.
    Nice use of the space! Off-topic, but that's where I mounted my transverse parking brake setup.

Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Forgive me if I missed it, but are you running EFI or a carb? Most EFI systems require a 10 micron filter, and most carbs don’t require a return. So I’m confused…

In any event, the components you have on hand form the heart of a perfectly serviceable fuel system. I recommend you save some money & run what you’ve got & then determine if it makes sense to change. Pumps, filters, and pickups are easy to change later.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313