FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Wiper requirements for Connecticut dmv inspection

Post Thanks / Like

Wiper requirements for Connecticut dmv inspection

I’m going through the Connecticut dmv requirements for a composite inspection of my Mk4 . The only requirement I seem to have a problem with is the wiper. It doesn’t require a defroster for an open roadster but lists an electric, air or vacuum operated wiper. I’ve been looking for a clip on one at the top of the windshield but haven’t found anything yet. Failing that, does anyone have the wiper kit from FFR that they’d sell? Has anyone here had any experience with CT DMV? Thanks in advance.

FFR MKIII builder/owner
    Post Thanks / Like
    You used to be able to get away with a manual clip on but I guess that’s changed. A friend has what I think is a single boat wiper that’s probably cheaper and easier to install. If you don’t come up with an FFR unit that would another option.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you decide to go with permanent wipers, you can also consider using the wiper kit (WWK-2) from Specialty Power Windows - https://www.specialtypowerwindows.co...eld-wiper-kits. Several report it is a higher quality kit than what FFR sells, but I don't have any basis for comparison. Installation was easy, operation is smooth and quiet, and it came with a rotary switch that I was able to change out the knob for a nice brass chromed knob. You do need to purchase the wiper arms/blades separately from Specialty Power Windows as well as a bezel trim kit - https://www.csxparts.com/p-1296-wipe...t-and-nut.aspx. Personally, I think wipers add to the finished look.

James
    Mk4 Roadster #9974 - Picked Up 1/2021. Complete kit, Gen 2 Ford Coyote / TKX, IRS. Completed 9/2023

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixflyer View Post
    I’m going through the Connecticut dmv requirements for a composite inspection of my Mk4 . The only requirement I seem to have a problem with is the wiper. It doesn’t require a defroster for an open roadster but lists an electric, air or vacuum operated wiper. I’ve been looking for a clip on one at the top of the windshield but haven’t found anything yet. Failing that, does anyone have the wiper kit from FFR that they’d sell? Has anyone here had any experience with CT DMV? Thanks in advance.
    Hold off on bringing your roadster to DMV for inspection. I was there with my car a week and a half ago and they turned me away. I will make a very long story as short as I possibly can. Factory Five applied to be a recognized as a replica manufacturer with The National Highway Transportation and Safety Administration (NHTSA). I believe this is part of a new federal law. The State of CT passed a law based on the federal law that went into effect in January of this year. The CT law states that replica manufacturers who are on the NHTSA list of recognized replica manufacturers no longer require a DMV inspection (sounds crazy, I know). When I went for inspection, the supervisor told me that since Factory Five applied to be on NHTSA's list they could not inspect my vehicle and I would have to wait for NHTSA to approve Factory Five's application. At that point I would not need an inspection and could go right to a DMV branch for registration. I was the unfortunate one to be the first in CT to attempt inspection since the law change. While I was in the inspection line at DMV, I called FFR and they put me through to Dave Smith himself. Dave spoke to the inspector as well. Dave assured me that he would complete their application within a week and would try to get FFR on the NHTSA website within the next 3 weeks. Here is the link to the website so that you can check when FFR is listed: https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/MID/Home/Search586/
    So I would hold off on the wipers because it looks like you will not have to go through inspection. I will be attempting registration as soon as FFR appears on this list and I will let you know how it goes. The inspector from DMV has offered to call my local DMV branch before I go for registration to explain the new law since it is likely I will be the first one going through under the new law.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to hijack the thread, but this is interesting. Do you know if there is a list of states that will apply the NHTSA policy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JJK View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but this is interesting. Do you know if there is a list of states that will apply the NHTSA policy?
    When I was on the phone with Dave Smith he mentioned that CT, and I believe 2 or 3 other states, have changed their laws based on the new federal law. I apologize, but the only other one that I remember besides CT was Florida.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, but I can't imagine Texas would be high on the list to replace a state policy with a federal one , but that would be nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JJK View Post
    Thanks, but I can't imagine Texas would be high on the list to replace a state policy with a federal one , but that would be nice.
    I wouldn't think Florida would be either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbev View Post
    I wouldn't think Florida would be either.
    Will the registration requirements be the same. Register as a "component", try for year of 1965, don't leave without a VIN. With the new law will you be able to get "classic" plates. How, and when, will you get a "real" VIN. This is GREAT news..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonandlynn5022 View Post
    Will the registration requirements be the same. Register as a "component", try for year of 1965, don't leave without a VIN. With the new law will you be able to get "classic" plates. How, and when, will you get a "real" VIN. This is GREAT news..
    You will register it as a 1965 "Replica". The VIN will be the 12 digit serial number on your certificate of origin and frame. They will not issue you a 17 digit VIN. And they will NEVER be eligible for "classic" plates.
    Here is a link to where DMV explains it: https://portal.ct.gov/dmv/vehicle-se...language=en_US

When you read what DMV says in this link it seems clear that FFR would fall under the component car category and not replica. And they should. The replica category is meant for companies who assemble, to completion, small volumes of replicas in their factories and not for the guy building it in their garage. The State of CT apparently does not care, and as long as FFR appears on that NHTSA list you will not be required to go through inspection.
    Last edited by Tbev; 03-30-2024 at 04:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    CT DMV states they will not issue classic plates for composite vehicles, even when 20 years old.

Edited: I’ve been fighting for classic plates for our cars for roughly 4 years. Working with legislators, testifying, corresponding with DMV. No luck.

My FFR is registered as a 2004. Now 20 years old, DMV still stating not eligible for classic plates.

See my auto signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonandlynn5022 View Post
    Last edited by Badfish; 03-30-2024 at 06:53 AM.
    FFR4462 - Taxed out of Connecticut
    If you live in CT, you need to read these threads on registration & taxation BEFORE purchasing a replica:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...247#post442247
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Tax-Increases!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Badfish View Post
    CT DMV states they will not issue classic plates for composite vehicles, even when 20 years old.

What new law?
    Hi Jay,
    I am not sure of the name of the new law. I am only reporting what was told to me by the head inspector when I attempted to get my car inspected a week and a half ago. I was told this new law went into effect on January 1st. And if you click on the link in my previous post you will see on the DMV website that it clearly states what you and I already knew, our cars are not eligible for antique plates.
    Tony

Skyflyer-sorry to hijack your thread, but I wanted to get this info to you so that you don't waist your time and money looking for a temporary wiper solution to get you through inspection. Unless something changes between now and when FFR is listed on NHSTA, they won't inspect you even if you wanted them to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey. Interesting on their position on kit vs replica at the inspection lane. Seems like they are conflating the two.

Either way, without the classic plate, my wallet is still exposed.

Factory Five applied several years ago to be a ‘replica’ manufacturer, I think it went stale. Interesting to still it active again.

Hi Jay,
    I am not sure of the name of the new law. I am only reporting what was told to me by the head inspector when I attempted to get my car inspected a week and a half ago. I was told this new law went into effect on January 1st. And if you click on the link in my previous post you will see on the DMV website that it clearly states what you and I already knew, our cars are not eligible for antique plates.
    Tony

Skyflyer-sorry to hijack your thread, but I wanted to get this info to you so that you don't waist your time and money looking for a temporary wiper solution to get you through inspection. Unless something changes between now and when FFR is listed on NHSTA, they won't inspect you even if you wanted them to.
    If you live in CT, you need to read these threads on registration & taxation BEFORE purchasing a replica:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Badfish View Post
    Hey. Interesting on their position on kit vs replica at the inspection lane. Seems like they are conflating the two.

Either way, without the classic plate, my wallet is still exposed.

Factory Five applied several years ago to be a ‘replica’ manufacturer, I think it went stale. Interesting to still it active again.
    The DMV supervisor in the Inspection lane told me they will not inspect Factory Five's because they applied to be on the NHSTA's list of replica manufacturers and their application is still pending. If Factory Five refused to complete their application with the NHSTA then no Factory Five vehicle going forward could be registered in CT. Fortunately, Dave Smith was great and told me he would expedite the completion of their application. The whole thing makes no sense but this is what I was told after waiting in the inspection lane for 3 hours a couple of weeks ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    That would be wild…

The DMV supervisor in the Inspection lane told me they will not inspect Factory Five's because they applied to be on the NHSTA's list of replica manufacturers and their application is still pending. If Factory Five refused to complete their application with the NHSTA then no Factory Five vehicle going forward could be registered in CT. Fortunately, Dave Smith was great and told me he would expedite the completion of their application. The whole thing makes no sense but this is what I was told after waiting in the inspection lane for 3 hours a couple of weeks ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lidodrip View Post
    If you decide to go with permanent wipers, you can also consider using the wiper kit (WWK-2) from Specialty Power Windows - https://www.specialtypowerwindows.co...eld-wiper-kits. Several report it is a higher quality kit than what FFR sells, but I don't have any basis for comparison. Installation was easy, operation is smooth and quiet, and it came with a rotary switch that I was able to change out the knob for a nice brass chromed knob. You do need to purchase the wiper arms/blades separately from Specialty Power Windows as well as a bezel trim kit - https://www.csxparts.com/p-1296-wipe...t-and-nut.aspx. Personally, I think wipers add to the finished look.

James
    Since I’m a few months away from having to deal with registration I’ll hold off wipers while I follow this thread. I had followed a similar thread about registration in Florida and FFR applying for the application last year but hadn’t heard anything recently. Since I’m putting a hardtop on mine I may decide to add them anyways. If I do they be the modernized ones instead of the MGB cable ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Please keep us (me) posted on your progress, I should be ready this summer and hope to follow you to get my Mk4 on the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixflyer View Post
    Please keep us (me) posted on your progress, I should be ready this summer and hope to follow you to get my Mk4 on the road.
    I will. I have an appointment scheduled with DMV in two weeks. I check the NHTSA website daily to see if FFR is listed. If it is not listed before my DMV appointment then I will have to delay DMV. I'll let you know how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    If i were you, I would email the following DMV employees BEFORE going to inspection again. Why waist your time...? Request they give you their position and status.

TIFFANY HARDWICK
    Chief of Staff

Connecticut Motor Vehicles
    Phone: 860-263-5386
    [email protected]

Michelle C.H. Givens, Esq.
    Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles
    Legal Services Division, Room 164
    60 State Street
    Wethersfield, CT 06161
    Phone: (860) 263-5130
    Fax: (860) 263-5522
    [email protected]

Audrey Hall
    Division Chief
    CT Department of Motor Vehicles
    Vehicle and Business Regulation
    Ph: 860-263-5232
    Email: [email protected]

FFR MKIII builder/owner
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don’t see how or why they refuse to give you an inspection. Until such time that FFRs status has been approved and added to there list it should be business as usual. I suppose maybe they could be thinking they’re doing you a favor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jay-I am not bringing it to inspection again. According to the supervisor in the inspection lane, once FFR is on that NHTSA list it will not need an inspection (according to the head inspector) and I can go right to registration. I appreciate the contact info though because I may need it if the DMV branch ends up turning me away because of not having an inspection.
    Dave M-I agree with you completely. I was there with my car and FFR was not on the NHTSA list yet. They should of inspected my car and I'd be on the road right now. I asked the inspector if he could just inspect my car since FFR was not on the list and he said he could not because they applied to be on the list and their application is still pending. I believe the bottom line is they don't want to inspect FFR's anymore. He even told me that every one of these cars that comes through the inspection lane is a FFR. It is even more messed up than that but I won't go into it here. I have an appointment with DMV for registration on 4/16 and I just have to hope that FFR gets on that list soon and I get through it with no issues.

22. Likes Badfish liked this post