Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Kit is Ordered, Time to Start My Build Thread - The AZ Coupe Project

Post Thanks / Like

Kit is Ordered, Time to Start My Build Thread - The AZ Coupe Project

I thought it would be awhile before I would start my build thread, but I figure I can share my build plan and those decisions made in advance of receiving the kit.
    The Plan:
    1. This will be a full non-donor build.
    2. Highly optioned Type 65 Coupe base kit with 2015 IRS option, ordered 4/5/2024.
    3. Set up for 302 type mounts as the engine will be the 363 302 variant. Looking seriously at a Ford Strokers 363 SBF short block and twisted wedge heads. I will finish out the rest and top it off with stack EFI.
    4. Lots of deletes from the standard order sheet as brakes, seats, exhaust, and the like as they will be all new aftermarket parts.
    5. I will be taking a lot of flack (s..t) for this one, transmission will be a 10R80 AT with the external US Shift controller and paddle shifters.
    6. All the exhaust components will be from GasN both SS headers and side pipes. Plan is to have side pipes ceramic coated in a matte white finish.
    7. Wheels are highly likely to be Apex ARC-8 in matte bronze with front 19x11 and rear 19x12. Tires will be Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02, fronts 305/30-19 and rear 325/30-19. Unfortunately no one appears to be currently making a 19 in Halibrand replica wheel, at least based from my web searches. I have a email into Team III wheels asking if they could make them, no response so far. For those looking for wheel and tire packages, I will be buying the configuration above from Fitment Industries. Wheels and tires together are discounted to $4031 per their website and this is without any further incentives like sales, which I will watch for around Memorial Day and the 4th of July.
    8. Seats will likely be Corbeau A4s as I have them in my Mustang restomod.
    9. Body color will be metallic red like the Rapid Red on modern Mustangs and GTs. The paint will be the House Of Kolor near equivalent semi-candy Apple Red with their clear over it. Not sure about stripes yet, but the rear taillight panel will be all body color. If stripes are applied, they will be ghosted on the hood only.
    10. For comfort, as I live in central AZ, the car will have AC and side windows.

Other than the engine and transmission, the car will attempt to be a look alike to EdwardB's, Paul's, build. I hope this is enough of a teaser that I will get a following once I start the build thread in August after the kit arrives.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the decisions I wanted to make was to determine the wheel and tire package for the car. Like when I built my MK4 starting back in 2011, having a selection of available tires is important going forward. I bought 17 inch wheels then, now I am going to go with 19 inch wheels. I am a fan of Continental Tires, good prices and excellent tires. For this build I am going with the Conti ExtremeContact Sport 02 tires. Great grip for a 300 or so treadwear tire.
    Unfortunately, I have not found anyone who makes Halibrand replica wheels in 19 inch sizes. It is probably going to take Factory Five to commission a manufacturer to make them. I know most do not like the larger wheels, but I think my choice will look good. I plan to go with the Apex ARC-8 wheels in 19x11 and 19x12 inch sizes. Both will likely have 11mm offsets as that is the offset most like what is given in the Daytona Wheel Repository spreadsheet where 19 inch wheels and a staggered fitment of 305/30 and 325/30 tires were used.
    Here is a JPG copy of PDF for the configuration from Fitment Industries.

The price of just over $4K looks real good to me. Given Factory Five lists their set of 18 inch Halibrand wheels at $2699 alone.
    Done here me thinks.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    The next configuration I wanted to determine was my Wilwood brake package.
    I am using the 2015 or newer Mustang IRS and Factory Five's new improved spindles. I have used the Wilwood electronic parking brakes on another build already as a retrofit application. I wanted to buy a complete package with the EPB incorporated. I found the appropriate kits on the Wilwood website and found I could buy them about $500 cheaper from Summit Racing. With 14 inch rotors both front and rear, I should have way more than enough braking power with the manual brake master cylinders provided in the kit. This is my first manual brake configuration. The proportioning valve included in the kit should allow me to dial in the front/rear bias. Lots of tire and lots of brake area should make this car stop very quickly as it will be needed with the power to be put under the hood.
    Front
    https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Br...&option=Mach+1
    Rear
    https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Br...no=140-17725-R
    Last edited by Alan_C; 04-08-2024 at 01:19 AM. Reason: added info

Post Thanks / Like
    Those aren't matching kits, the front is a superlite 6 and the rear is an aero4 2 very different calipers.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Levy View Post
    Those aren't matching kits, the front is a superlite 6 and the rear is an aero4 2 very different calipers.
    Gordon agreed, it was a starting place to note what I was after. I also noticed there is a brake cable included in the kit for the rear. So it does not likely include the EPB which is necessary in my book. I will reach out to Wilwood Monday and get the exact kits needed.
    That said and FWIW, the front and rear Wilwood kits that Total Control Products specified for my Mustang do not match either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool. Like those wheels. Have them on my list for consideration as I'm starting my base coupe project now too. Look forward to following your build-
    MKIV #7275 Acquired June 2019 (2010 partial build), Gen 2 Coyote by Forte w/TK600- PRO 5.0 - McLeod RST twin Clutch-QT Bell, old style IRS, 8.8 3.55 Rear, Gas'n Headers/Pipes, Power Steering, Hydroboost by Forte, Breeze Roll Bar, Heated Seats, 17" halibrand w/ Nitto G2, Maradyne Fan Controller, Paul Proe Vent Kit, Russ Thompson Signal w/ FTP- Received June 2019/First Start April 2020/Go Cart May 2020/Legal September 2020/PAINT BY SPOTLIGHT CUSTOMS JAN 2021

7. Thanks Alan_C thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Alan,
    Should you ever decide to upgrade to power brakes, I recommend the Whitby package. http://www.whitbymotorsports.com/UIn...ventoryid=1608 A nicely designed kit that looks to be easy to install, and the company was super responsive to my dumb questions. I would have loved to use it in my '33 Hot Rod, but just not enough space under the hood with my Coyote. You should have plenty of room in the coupe regardless of which engine you use.
    Keith HR #894

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by progmgr1 View Post
    Alan,
    Should you ever decide to upgrade to power brakes, I recommend the Whitby package. http://www.whitbymotorsports.com/UIn...ventoryid=1608 A nicely designed kit that looks to be easy to install, and the company was super responsive to my dumb questions. I would have loved to use it in my '33 Hot Rod, but just not enough space under the hood with my Coyote. You should have plenty of room in the coupe regardless of which engine you use.
    Keith HR #894
    Link does not work for me, so I can't see the type of booster used. Are these hydroboost type brakes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan_C View Post
    The next configuration I wanted to determine was my Wilwood brake package.
    I am using the 2015 or newer Mustang IRS and Factory Five's new improved spindles. I have used the Wilwood electronic parking brakes on another build already as a retrofit application. I wanted to buy a complete package with the EPB incorporated. I found the appropriate kits on the Wilwood website and found I could buy them about $500 cheaper from Summit Racing. With 14 inch rotors both front and rear, I should have way more than enough braking power with the manual brake master cylinders provided in the kit. This is my first manual brake configuration. The proportioning valve included in the kit should allow me to dial in the front/rear bias. Lots of tire and lots of brake area should make this car stop very quickly as it will be needed with the power to be put under the hood.
    Front
    https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Br...&option=Mach+1
    Rear
    https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Br...no=140-17725-R
    As Gordon noted, my original selections for the front and rear brake kits were mis-matched.
    I got through to Wilwood this afternoon, here is there recommendation for matching 14" brake kits. I am going 14" to look great behind my 19 inch wheels and to make sure I have plenty of stopping power as this will be my first manual brake car.
    Front
    https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Br...no=140-16403-R
    Rear
    https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Br...no=140-13888-R
    Note that the rear kit part number above specifies a cable actuated parking brake caliper. The kit is fully compatible with the electronic brake caliper. However, Wilwood, at this time, does not have a single part number to order with the EPB. A call to Wilwood sales or through a vendor, like Gordon Levy, a kit can be ordered with the cable calipers replaced with the EPB calipers, harness, and control unit.
    Last edited by Alan_C; 04-08-2024 at 09:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Rear IRS Components

I noted a post where a IRS center section that was newly rebuilt was for sale. I will be picking up the IRS components soon. Another box checked off and my plan appears complete so that I can put together a rolling chassis soon after the kit arrives.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the decisions I wanted to make was to determine the wheel and tire package for the car. Like when I built my MK4 starting back in 2011, having a selection of available tires is important going forward. I bought 17 inch wheels then, now I am going to go with 19 inch wheels. I am a fan of Continental Tires, good prices and excellent tires. For this build I am going with the Conti ExtremeContact Sport 02 tires. Great grip for a 300 or so treadwear tire.
    Unfortunately, I have not found anyone who makes Halibrand replica wheels in 19 inch sizes. It is probably going to take Factory Five to commission a manufacturer to make them. I know most do not like the larger wheels, but I think my choice will look good. I plan to go with the Apex ARC-8 wheels in 19x11 and 19x12 inch sizes. Both will likely have 11mm offsets as that is the offset most like what is given in the Daytona Wheel Repository spreadsheet where 19 inch wheels and a staggered fitment of 305/30 and 325/30 tires were used.
    Here is a JPG copy of PDF for the configuration from Fitment Industries.

The price of just over $4K looks real good to me. Given Factory Five lists their set of 18 inch Halibrand wheels at $2699 alone.
    Done here me thinks.

These guys make up.to a 20 inch Halibrand style wheel. https://www.imagewheels.co.uk/chb-alloy-wheel/

Post Thanks / Like
    On your Aero6 front brakes you know that you will have to modify the FFR spindles for the caliper bracket. Not a big deal. I used a Dremel to modify the spindle and a bench grinder to modify the bracket to fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    It appears that Whitby changed their corporate name since I last dealt with them. New link to the Hot Rod version of the power brake system: https://www.whitbymotorcars.com/prod...wer-brake-kit/

I see that they have added a disclaimer about using the system with a Coyote engine in the Hot Rod - possibly based on my conversations with them several years ago... Should not be an issue in a coupe.

Keith HR #894

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Davis View Post
    On your Aero6 front brakes you know that you will have to modify the FFR spindles for the caliper bracket. Not a big deal. I used a Dremel to modify the spindle and a bench grinder to modify the bracket to fit.
    No I was not aware, but likely as much of a mod as is done on the IRS spindles. Anymore, I gotten used to modifying parts to make stuff fit, just part of the process. I am on the downslope toward finishing my 70 Boss 302 tribute, so many mods to make parts fit that were said to be compatible. Looking back at when I built my MK4 some 13 years ago, I was so annoyed that more often than not, I had to assemble and disassemble several times before the fit was correct. I was rookie back then. I now know that that process was the norm, not the exception.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by progmgr1 View Post
    It appears that Whitby changed their corporate name since I last dealt with them. New link to the Hot Rod version of the power brake system: https://www.whitbymotorcars.com/prod...wer-brake-kit/

I see that they have added a disclaimer about using the system with a Coyote engine in the Hot Rod - possibly based on my conversations with them several years ago... Should not be an issue in a coupe.

Keith HR #894
    While I appreciate the info, not likely going down that road. With front 14" 6 piston and rear 14" 4-piston brakes if they cannot haul down a 2500 lb car in a blink, then Wilwood will have a bunch of explaining to do!

Post Thanks / Like
    While I appreciate the info, not likely going down that road. With front 14" 6 piston and rear 14" 4-piston brakes if they cannot haul down a 2500 lb car in a blink, then Wilwood will have a bunch of explaining to do!
    I have the optional non-powered Factory Five Wilwood setup in my Coupe and I'm very happy with how they work. If your Wilwood choices are an upgrade from there, so much the better. Due to the frame construction of the Gen 3 Coupe ahead of the firewall and in the area of the brake pedal, for sure the Whitby vacuum assist setup would not fit. A hydroboost setup might fit, but I suspect not without modification(s). I have yet to see a Gen 3 Coupe with power brakes.

Congrats on your upcoming build. Sounds like some nice choices there. Will be following with interest.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

18. Thanks Alan_C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by burchfieldb View Post
    These guys make up.to a 20 inch Halibrand style wheel. https://www.imagewheels.co.uk/chb-alloy-wheel/
    Thank you for the link. I have come to really like the Apex wheels, look like something from BBS. Since I always like to incorporate something a little bit different in my builds, I am going go with the Apex wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are my thoughts to date on an engine configuration. I am specifying a Ford Strokers 363 short block with the twisted wedge heads shown on the webpage. I have installed good running donor motors in previous builds, this time I am buying new and will finish off the short block and heads with the alt, water pump, accessory drive, wiring, and top it off with stack EFI. I want a modern ECU like one from Holley for a wide range of tuning capability and long term support.

https://fordstrokers.com/liberator-d...ks-331-347-363

https://www.borlainduction.com/ford-...tle-body-kits/

21. Likes David Williamson liked this post