BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Hardtop fitment issues

Post Thanks / Like

Hardtop fitment issues

We measured everything we could measure, every angle, cross, straight everything we could. We took cross measurements on the body and they are the same side to side, front to back measurements and they're the same, drew points in different places to cover all bases.. Then we flipped the hardtop upside down and did the same, window openings are the same side to side, front to back in multiple places is the same, cross measurements drawn from various points are 1 INCH off no matter where you measure from.
    I can not figure out how that could be but when you put the hardtop on the car, center the front, line up the front window openings with the door/body lines, the back passenger side hangs off an inch. Center and Line up the rear hardtop to the door openings and body lines, the drivers front hangs off 1 inch.
    Only thing I can think to do is bolt either the front or rear of the hardtop to the body then use a ratchet strap to pull the front or rear in to position then bolt it. I don't really think that's the proper procedure but what else can I do?

Post Thanks / Like
    Would love to see some pics, it's hard to visualize. I certainly didn't have to strap anything into shape, but there was grinding of the mating surfaces. But my hardtop was secondhand and had some damage/holes/filler on those surfaces anyway. But mine fit very well in "plan view".
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Gen II kit with hardtop option and my top fit pretty good front to back. It is a tight fit and at first I slapped my forehead but once we started adjusting it into position the top fit front to back like it should. Now, matching the profile of the body is a different issue and I had to grind the top mating surfaces in some places and add in other to get a nice fit to the body. There is a rubber seal to help with the fit but I was able to get mine pretty close. You should get it fastened down before removing or adding so you can get a more accurate picture of what is needed.

4. Likes Just 1 More liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gen 1 and Gen 2 tops are different. Gen 1s seem to have an inside finished surface, like a trunk lid, and Gen 2s don't. I haven't seen a Gen 1 hardtop so I can't be sure but I think Gen 2s are easier flex to get it where you want.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.