Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Laguna beats me again.

Post Thanks / Like

Laguna beats me again.

On my first trip to Laguna, I was having MAF sensor issues and the engine would choke once it got up to track temperatures - no issues street driving. The make it a full day at Lauguna score: Me 0, Laguna 1. The fix was a Speed Density tune. My second trip after an engine rebuild and new 6 speed, I immediately broke an axle. 0 for 2. Fix, The Driveshaft Shop axles. The goal of this outing was to just survive the WHOLE day. Even though I'd been twice before, I only had a couple of hot laps under my belt, so it felt like the first time and I'm still learning the track.

Leading up to it, I've been fighting a cracked exhaust manifold repair (a whole other story) and the solution ended up cutting and rewelding the cross over pipe and using Remflex gaskets on 3 of the flange joints. While I had the exhaust apart, I decided to do my "Laguna Pipe" Laguna Pipe project of which I've had the parts for some time.

Most if not all tracks have a maximum decibel sound limit. Most around here are 103db and are seemingly rarely monitored. Then there is Laguna... At Laguna, it ranges from 90db to 106db depending on the day and it is strictly enforced. So before signing up for a track day there, one must know the db limit for that day and the db of your car. My car last measured at 93.8 db. Laguna regulars are also keenly aware of how the weather effects the sound measurement. So, I was limited to track days that are comfortably over 93.8db. This track day was a 92db day, so I need to do something.

laguna pipe 1.jpgLaguna Pipe 2.jpg

My Laguna Pipe slips over the exhaust tip and bolts in. It lowered the db to 83.0! Now I know I'm safe for even the 90db days regardless of weather which opens up all Laguna days to me. Several people came up to me between sessions with the same comment/question (in addition to the usual, "what kind of car is that?")... "Does it have a jet engine?". With the exhaust so quiet, the air intake dominated the sound and I was told it sounded like a jet engine speeding down the straightaway!

First 3 sessions went great and I was building speed with each lap. I was arbitrarily hoping to get into the 1:45's and with a 1:46.8 in the 3rd session, I thought it was easily within reach by the end of the day. But, in the first lap of the 4th session, I heard an exhaust leak and pulled in. One of the Remflex gaskets blew out. Survive a full day score: 0 for 3.

I'm done trying to make the OEM exhaust work and I'm in the market for good aftermarket header and up pipe. I'm hoping my 4th Laguna day will see the final checkered flag and I shake this Laguna curse.

Last edited by Dave 53; 04-14-2024 at 01:24 PM.

2. Thanks Geoff H thanked for this post
    Likes jbs72697, mikeb75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good, nice driving.
    And a camera placement that actually shows what's going on. Diver, dash and track... it can be done. Good show.
    In a past life my engine & exhaust idled at 93db hit 120+ full on. Laguna would shut me down in the trailer. Waterford Hills in Michigan has similar limits.
    Jim
    2016 Mk4 Challenge Car, IRS, 3.31 Torsen, RDI Aluminum 427w, AFR 225s, Vic Jr. ProSystems 780 HP, TKO-600 w/Liberty mods. Forward cage. Levy 6/4 piston Wilwoods. Not completed yet, will be a streetable track car.
    2004 Superformance MkIII #1855, 2007 Superformance MkIII #2584 purchased in 2012 both sold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome video! I ditched the oem exhaust straight away and went with a setup from Tomei. I stayed with unequal length because I like the sound and am not going for big power anyway. Depending on what oil pan you are running, you may want to research compatibility and fitment. I had to delete the OEM oil heat exchanger on my 07 WRX donor engine. I have heard that it is more for warm up anyway. I am running the increased capacity oil pan from KillerB Motorsport with the baffle plates, windage tray and pickup tube.

Here is a link to what I am running. https://www.iagperformance.com/iag-p...RoCitgQAvD_BwE

Post Thanks / Like
    The video was fun! Your comments about noise levels got me thinking, so I opened up the NIOSH app on my phone while I was out yesterday. I hit 124.7 dB just driving down the road at 55 mph. As Jim commented, they'd shut me down in no time, too! (Lmax 107.3; LCpeak 124.7 phone mounted on dash using internal mic) I didn't think my car was that loud. I guess it is. And, the top, even without side curtains, cuts down on wind noise.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of what's heard from the cockpit is wind noise when you are at speed. Remember there's nothing aerodynamic about a Cobra.

I'm sure the tracks have a general standard of how far off the track they measure or how far from the side or rear of the car. I'm sure it's in a rule book somewhere.

Jim
    2016 Mk4 Challenge Car, IRS, 3.31 Torsen, RDI Aluminum 427w, AFR 225s, Vic Jr. ProSystems 780 HP, TKO-600 w/Liberty mods. Forward cage. Levy 6/4 piston Wilwoods. Not completed yet, will be a streetable track car.
    2004 Superformance MkIII #1855, 2007 Superformance MkIII #2584 purchased in 2012 both sold.

7. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    its not as loud as you think if you put your ear on the dash the sound would probably hurt your ears

It is important to note that Laguna Seca sound levels are usually measured by a fixed location sound booth. This sound booth is located to drivers right, going up the hill from turn 5 to turn 6.
    and i believe its around 50 ft from the edge of the track

9. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDanSubaru View Post
    Awesome video! I ditched the oem exhaust straight away and went with a setup from Tomei. I stayed with unequal length because I like the sound and am not going for big power anyway. Depending on what oil pan you are running, you may want to research compatibility and fitment. I had to delete the OEM oil heat exchanger on my 07 WRX donor engine. I have heard that it is more for warm up anyway. I am running the increased capacity oil pan from KillerB Motorsport with the baffle plates, windage tray and pickup tube.

Here is a link to what I am running. https://www.iagperformance.com/iag-p...RoCitgQAvD_BwE
    That's the exact header I've been looking at. Seems like very good quality and value for the money. Amazing how many sub $200 headers there are that I'm certain wouldn't last a day the way I beat on this car. It was on sale two weeks ago, but I decided to try and make the OEM setup work and now it's no longer on sale. Feels a little bit like salt in the bad OEM decision wound, but I'll just keep moving forward and hopefully soon forget how much this little cracked exhaust manifold repair has cost me in time, money and lost track time. I asked my tuner and he said for a track car running sustained high RPM, the equal length version would be better, so that's what I've ordered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely, for a track car I agree with going equal length. Not sure what oil pan setup you are running, but hopefully it's a smooth install for you. I had a cheap Ebay set of headers on an old WRX back in high school. It developed a leak at the collector that was not in a spot where you could weld it closed. Moral of the story is to just buy a quality part the first time around. Otherwise you just end up buying and throwing away the crappy one, wasting that extra money that could have gone towards more track time or go-fast parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Coming from a terribly loud 818, I really liked how Dave's stealth mode sounded. You have me questioning my life choices (only a little bit ).
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    When I first got my 818 on the road, it was without a muffler. That lasted about a month before I installed the biggest muffler I could fit. 93.8 db WOT is still sort of loud, but not obnoxious and it's reasonable driving around a parking lot or through my neighborhood. I do feel a little guilty in the summer when my neighbors are sleeping with their windows open and I start it up at 5:30 or 6 in the morning on a Saturday for a track day.

I just got back from my local Friday morning coffee and cars. Beautiful California day and a huge turnout. I love the sound of almost all of the cars there. There's a real Cobra regular that sounds absolutely amazing! Scott brought his FFR GTM today and one cannot help but comment on how cool that car sounds as he drives away. Rick was there with his FFR Cobra and he stopped to say something to me as he drove out. I had to laugh, raise my voice a bit and joked, "I can't hear what you're saying!" - the perfect amount of V8 rumble. But, there was a Gen 7 Chevy Impala that had to be over 100db idling and it was obnoxious. All of the many little group conversations had to pause as he put his seatbelt on and drove away and some of us worried about getting kicked out of our location. I think there is a difference between just stupid loud for the sake of loud and music.

The Laguna vs their neighbors sound debate is interesting. What I see as the bottom line - the track isn't going anywhere. The neighbors need to get over it. But, at the same time, put a f'ing muffler on your car! I don't want to hear obnoxious for no good reason headache inducing loud either. Is this what happens when you turn 60? For the record, I'm going to a Primus concert this weekend without ear plugs in the mosh pit.
    Last edited by Dave 53; 04-19-2024 at 05:19 PM.

14. Likes J R Jones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Tomei equal length headers on my 818. It's a quality piece and the flanges are thick. It fits perfectly around my IAG competition pan. Although I've heard that going with the grimmspeed up-pipe can help prevent cracking of the headers with it's flex pipe giving room to expand.