Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: My 427W on the dyno yesterday. Best way to de-tune this sucker?

Post Thanks / Like

Cool My 427W on the dyno yesterday. Best way to de-tune this sucker?

I have a nice-to-have problem.

My engine builder called yesterday. The 427 Windsor (Dart) they have built for me is making significantly more power than expected in early testing: 550hp @5800 RPM.

I don't have the specifics, nor am I an engine expert. I know we purposely picked a milder cam to calm the motor down and make it more drivable. Even with a 750 carb, it seems to be pulling well north of 500hp, past 6100 RPM.

I love the idea of a 427 monster under the hood of my new build, but I'd like to reduce the power a bit more.

Is there a smart way to reduce the (carb) throttle? Can I adjust the cable so the pedal hits the floor shy of wide open throttle? Other suggestions?

IMG_2672.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Not trying to be a smart-***, but what about just not stepping on the pedal all the way?
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

3. Likes steno liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am at 560hp and know that I will hardly ever get to experience , or put to the pavement, all those ponies. Just get used to feathering that throttle , you'll be fine.
    Delivery Date 6-24-23 Build thread Living the Dream
    SBF 427 564hp/576tq Holley Sniper with Hyperspark by Smeding Performance. Tremec TKX .68 OD. IRS . Wilwood 12.88 brakes. Wilwood EPB. First start 11-17-23. First go cart 11-20-23.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like John, not trying to be a wise a$$ but best thing to do is train your right foot and keep it connected to your brain. You can get into all kinds of trouble even with a 225 horsepower 302 if you forget that the pedal goes both ways---up and down

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I was worried about this too during my build. I have a mk4 with a 427w that makes ~540hp and 525 lb-ft. We set ours up with a edelbrock EFI, and a mechanical linkage. The power comes only with significant depression of the pedal, which is to say, it does not feel touchy at all, and you can't accidently give it the beans. Now with 1500 miles on the finished car, I do not regret this motor in the slightest. It doesn't feel scary to drive. very very fun, yes, but not scary unless you are really irresponsible. Rule number one is to never utter the words 'watch this' when you are driving.
    <><><><><><><><><><>
    Mk4 Roadster complete kit Chassis F5R1010480RD
    Ordered Dec 2021, Delivered Sept 2022, First start Mar 2023
    Completed October 2023
    IRS, Wilwood, 17" wheels, Forte 427W/TKX/EdelbrockEFI

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    assuming the dyno doesn't have the side pipes installed, if you're going with a setup like Gas'N touring pipes, it will drop you 40-50HP

the headers you're going to use may make a difference as well
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

8. Likes StangRacer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What tires are you planning to use?
    MK4, 427LS3, IRS, T56 Magnum, Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    carb restrictor plate. You can even get an adjustable one

Post Thanks / Like
    CptM, You brought her, you dance with her. Restraint is an acquired taste.
    RWHP with the aforementioned exhaust system will net a lower, more relevant number.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    You can change the ratio of pedal movement to the throttle opening rate. Not impossible with a cable, but probably much easier with a mechanical linkage. Note, your pedal will have a lot longer travel from idle to WOT, but the progression of the throttle will be easier to control.
    You will get used to the normal throttle opening rate, just takes a little time.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    My 427W was similar with a Vic Jr & 780 DP carb. 540 +/- at the crank, 440 at the wheels, Mustang Dyno. Had a mechanical throttle linkage system similar to Forte's that could be adjusted for pedal throw v. carb response. The more pedal throw the more modulation you have.

Easy to drive but had a split personality depending on how far and fast you pushed the gas pedal.

Don't mess with it. Drive it, learn it, love it. Trust me, you will.

Now the "Tim Taylor" in me says go for more, I'm planning too. But then I'm old and my sanity and common sense are failing.

Jim
    2016 Mk4 Challenge Car, IRS, 3.31 Torsen, RDI Aluminum 427w, AFR 225s, Vic Jr. ProSystems 780 HP, TKO-600 w/Liberty mods. Forward cage. Levy 6/4 piston Wilwoods. Not completed yet, will be a streetable track car.
    2004 Superformance MkIII #1855, 2007 Superformance MkIII #2584 purchased in 2012 both sold.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Dart 427 with similar power, have over 6k miles on the car now... it's easy to drive and only will be a problem if your right foot decides to make it one. You will learn throttle control the more you drive it. This is what you sign up for when you drop a 500+ HP engine in one of these cars. Personally I would leave it and just learn how to control the power, you might be surprised and like it!
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

Post Thanks / Like
    Changing the peddle or throttle doesn't change the output. The simplest, and surest way is to pull some timing. Once installed you won't have the same HP, engines dyno doesn't have the water pump, alternator or power steering hooked up, all will pull more HP than you think
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

16. Likes StangRacer liked this post
    East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    As others have said - step on the gas like you are stepping on an egg... a couple things you can do is back off the timing a bit, but let me give you a little bit of a perspective, the HP isn't what will ultimately get you in trouble it's the Torque.. my bet is that you are going be north of 400 FT/LBS at 3500 RPM... this will cause the tires to likely start to go up in smoke.... You can gear down the rear gear- something in the 3:08 range and that will settle things down a bit - ultimately it is the a matter of grey matter connected to right foot... smooth application of the throttle....and short shift.... get some seat time... lots of seat time.... The throttle pedal design that comes with the kit isn't great and there are better solutions out there that give you more "feel" of the throttle.... I would highly recommended this upgrade.

https://breezeautomotive.com/shop/70...yle-pedal-pad/
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    When I learned how to drive and deal with my car I just kept bumping up the rev limiter by 500 RPM every two-three weeks.
    Also, don't mash the gas, press into the throttle as you go from gear to gear.
    You'll be fine and wonder what ever concerned you.

Good Luck From The Dark Dart Side!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 04-15-2024 at 06:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha. I love the comments!

OKAY! Point taken. I'll live with it. Not a lot of sympathy for too much power in this group

I'm old, wise, and experienced enough to control my right foot, at least most of the time.

I'm running the 15" Cooper Cobra Radials (235/295). They sure look cool for a car that will be period correct (ish), but I can't imagine they will hook up all that well. At some point, I'll get some stickier wheels and tires for running around the track days.

Yes, the side pipes, power steering, alternator, and water pump will drop some power. That is a really good point. I will need that 550hp to overcome those losses.

I know I'm going to love this little motor.

-Morgan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Morgan,

You're Going To Love It!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    There is another approach you can take to soften the throttle response…go to a spreadbore carb.

There are lots of good both factory and aftermarket options…and honestly…don’t overlook the good ol Quadrajet. The primaries are tiny, secondaries huge. The bigger ones (Cadillac?) were rated at 800 cfm. The tiny 1.375” primary throttle plates will tame the most extreme engine and the huge 2.25” secondaries will let her breathe when you want it.

I know I’m suggesting a highly unconventional choice!

That said I’ve had two that worked great: a 462 cid big block Chevy swapped 2nd gen Firebird and 1985 Foxbody 5.0 Mustang with a 150 NOS shot. In both cases, no regrets on my part and awesome fuel economy too.

Just a thought FWIW……

Cheers,
    Pat
    Once again with an 88 mm Turbo, Big Block Chevy powered, ‘35 Hot Rod Pickup

Post Thanks / Like
    All good advice and one item I've not seen mentioned is air cleaner. As was mentioned, several front drive parts are not on the motor during dyno and most likely only a velocity stack was used on the carb. If you are using the large oval Cobra cleaner it restricts air like crazy. With it's standard filter it will only flow 525 cfm. My 427 with that filter only put out 380 hp at the wheels on the cars first run. Was WAY TOO rich too. Went down 6 jets sizes and to a K&N round with filter top and we ended up with a 50 hp increase to 410 hp at the wheels.
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Although I would love to have to live w/ >500hp, I will throw in another option. When I went from a 351W w/ a 650 carb to a 408W I found that I could buy just the main body for the carb to convert to a 750. It was about 40% price of a new carb. Perhaps you carb could be downgraded. OTOH, that might hurt just the top end HP but not affect low to mid range TQ so not help much. Railroad has the best idea, a nice smooth, longer travel linkage.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CptMorgan View Post

...I'm running the 15" Cooper Cobra Radials (235/295)... I can't imagine they will hook up all that well....
    I've built 3 relatively low power (225-325) cars for customers using those and you are correct!

Jeff

25. Likes Alan_C liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Easiest way to go is to add a gas pedal stop. If you can't go full wide open throttle you are golden. Make one that is adjustable, so that as you get comfortable with the car, you can dial out some of the stop. When you get to a power level you are comfortable with, leave it alone until you want more go power.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

27. Likes Jetfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There you go
    Alan C got the answer

Jet

Post Thanks / Like
    You need a return spring on your right foot.
    FFR 9883 MKIV ,427 Windsor engine
    TKX 5 speed, Three Link 3.55 gears
    Power Steering, Leather Seats
    18" Wheels and Tires, Drop Trunk
    Fun Package

Post Thanks / Like
    Moroso makes an adjustable throttle stop for Holley 4150 carbs... Part# 65042. I used one on my CMC Mustang as we were limited to a certain RWHP and torque... it worked great.

Post Thanks / Like
    351W/427 Dart, Holly 750 carb, 520hp, 530 ft/lb torque. Pretty sure I've not gotten past 1/2 throttle. The few times I've tried, car got loose, I got scared. So the secondaries haven't been used, at least not much. In summary, the car is WAY more car than I am driver. I'm OK with that.

One more point. I don't think it's so much the horse power, but the torque. The amount of torque this engine has is unreal. Even small, but quick, throttle inputs will quickly get the car loose. As shooters say, slow is smooth, smooth is fast. And Clint says, "a man's got to know his limitations." I'm learning.

All that said, since I was building an old school car, I wanted an old school engine, and I wanted to have that "427" badge on the fender to mean what it says. If I were to build another, I would do it the same way again.
    Last edited by boat737; 04-16-2024 at 08:25 PM.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

32. Likes Fman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I've built 3 relatively low power (225-325) cars for customers using those and you are correct!

Jeff
    Yes sir, not sure if the intro in the MK4 assembly manual still says about 300 HP is the sweet spot, none the less I agree with it. I did a donor build using a 2004 Mach 1 as my donor, it was only 7 years old at the time. Everything that I could use from the donor was used except the radiator which was toast courtesy of the prior owner.
    The second owner of the car had it dyno'd, produced 299 HP and 320 TQ at the rear wheels. This was the 4.6L DOHC engine that was the predecessor to the Coyote. All aluminum block and heads plus dual OHC. Redlined at 7200 rpm and would get there in a hurry in the lower gears. It was a fun but not too intimidating ride. The second owner is preparing to to swap in a 1st Gen Coyote with some upgrades that will product 2nd Gen Coyote performance, maybe better.
    Today, I would suggest the sweet spot is a Coyote with about 400 rear wheel HP and TQ. More is really unnecessary and tough to hook up anyway.
    Last edited by Alan_C; 04-24-2024 at 12:31 PM.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep what you got! I'm similar with my 427w and love it!!!
    #10333 Complete Kit, Carbed 427w, TKX, IRS and many other upgrades

• Order Date: September 11, 2021 - 20th Anniversary of 9/11
    • Delivery Day: April 1, 2022 - April Fool's Day
    • First Start and Go-Kart: January 20th, 2023
    • Graduation Date: July 4th, 2023 - Independence Day!!
    • Legal Registration Date: October 4, 2023 - My Birthday!!

Visit my MKIV Build Thread (#10333)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik W. Treves View Post
    the HP isn't what will ultimately get you in trouble it's the Torque.. my bet is that you are going be north of 400 FT/LBS at 3500 RPM... this will cause the tires to likely start to go up in smoke.... You can gear down the rear gear- something in the 3:08 range and that will settle things down a bit /[/url]
    X2 on this.
    I have a 427W with the 3.31 IRS and I wish I had more torque at lower RPM's.
    My tuner built a spreadsheet showing me the difference the rear gear makes with different ratios and the difference in wheel torque is not trivial.

Post Thanks / Like
    Put some Slack in the throttle cable. that way when you shove pedal fully to firewall its only about 70% throttle opening.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boat737 View Post

Since I was building an old school car, I wanted an old school engine, and I wanted to have that "427" badge on the fender to mean what it says. If I were to build another, I would do it the same way again.
    Boat737's comment hit the spot for me.

You can always run a smaller carb, take timing out, put in a throttle stop, install a rev-limiter, add a restrictor plate, etc, etc, etc.

Can you make too much power, of course you can but not having enough would really stink.

I tried to split the difference between the power of the 427 and the finesse of the 289 cars but like Boat737 I wanted my fender badges to mean something and they do so my 383 emblems represents what is truly under the hood.

Though my engine has made 505 HP at 6,500 RPM, I've got the rev limiter set 500 RPM below that peak rating so it only puts out 465-HP (6,000 RPM) and 465-TQ (5,200 RPM) and it works just fine. In addition, I played around with timing and rev-limiter until I found the sweet spot for me and my abilities.

I know you'll find what you are looking for with a little tuning or de-tuning, but in the interim just be careful:

Here's A Short Ride In The Redbone Roadster:
    https://youtu.be/GpqvBPwIbzI

Good Luck!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 04-27-2024 at 12:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure you've made your mind up yet, but perhaps tweaking the secondaries on the carb to not open as much, or not at all, will mute the performance a bit. I've got an Edelbrock AVS2 and it looks pretty easy to tune the secondaries to come on as easy or hard as I want.
    Matt
    My build thread here

Post Thanks / Like
    As power and performance increases, (street) utilization is inversely proportional.
    The more you have the less you can use it.
    With professional and consumer experience in motorcycles I am very wary of the hazards of road driving. I did road race and acquired experience approaching and exceeding 10/10ths.
    In either street or track, situational awareness leads to confidence and avoidance of dangerous circumstance. I am not upset when that shi+ happens.
    It is the unforeseen that upsets me requiring emergency countermeasures; muscle memory helps.
    When the weather, road conditions and other drivers are not hazardous, modulating a volatile vehicle can be routine. When something goes wrong (like gravel, sand or wet spot) you will be tested.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Only driveablity issue my neighbor had with a similar power capacity, was easy to fix. He added a small extension at the carb end of the throttle linkage lever, making it a little longer. The extra length ensured a smooth transition through the gas pedal movement. Initially the gas pedal put too much throttle movement early in the initial pedal travel which made it very jerky off the line and when shifting. I'll see if he can put a pic in here.

Post Thanks / Like
    A very wise man once said, "Theres no such thing as too much horsepower, just too little traction".

Post Thanks / Like
    Like everyone says, use the throttle carefully. On AND lifting off. Don't hit the gas coming around a corner. Point and shoot.

I deleted a whole paragraph. Instead, I'll just say PLEASE put better tires on your car.

I always recommend autocross before you do track days. Lower speed, no walls to hit (usually), and you actually get to drive harder. At autocross, you will slide, spin out, lock the brakes, and generally go past the limit. You will have a BLAST doing it and learn a lot. Those are things you don't really want to do on a track with walls and other cars.

After a few track days, you will be wishing you had 600hp.

Post Thanks / Like
    That on a engine dyno? If so that's flywheel HP which will decrease once you get it mated to the rest of the drive train. Right?