Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

View Poll Results: What exhaust on your '33?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Side Exit Exhaust

1 20.00%
  • Rear Exit Exhaust

2 40.00%
  • Custom

2 40.00%

Thread: Exhaust Options: Side Exit, Rear Exit, custom

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Exhaust Options: Side Exit, Rear Exit, custom

I bought my kit from the original purchaser and they had purchased the optional rear exit exhaust kit. I'm undecided whether to use it or just use the standard side exit exhaust. The rear exit exhaust takes up precious area under/behind the passenger compartment that could be used for battery, fuel pump, fuel filter, and generally make packaging and arrangement for maintenance easier later down the road. But I think the rear exit exhaust would be a little more tolerable to passengers. My other concern about the side exit exhaust is because there's no H- or X-pipe that it will have that strange odd 4-cylinder sound from each side (maybe I'm over-thinking that). What is everyone else running?
    Last edited by TxMike64; 04-15-2024 at 02:31 PM.
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like

exhaust system

I shared your concerns about the side exhaust - especially for a car that will be anything other than an occasional use toy. Then, I went completely off the reservation and incorporated a muffler from a 2017 Cadillac CTS-V. (I should also confess that that idea came from another '33 builder whose family owned a muffler shop.) It has an internal cross-over and also has integrated cut-outs so I can uncork it on demand. I used 1 pipe from the FFR rear exhaust kit. After that, it was all custom (my fuel tanks fill the area behind the seats and in front of the IRS).

20190607_165058.jpg

Keith HR #894

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the concern but FFR's cost for two tail pipes seemed excessive so I didn't order them. So far I don't find the exhaust note to be over baring but I only have 30ish miles on it. If down the road I find it unacceptable I will had tail pipes, change mufflers and/or add a crossover. Adding the dynamat and acoustic foam that FFR supplied in the sound insulation kit has knocked down the exhaust note significantly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by progmgr1 View Post
    I shared your concerns about the side exhaust - especially for a car that will be anything other than an occasional use toy. Then, I went completely off the reservation and incorporated a muffler from a 2017 Cadillac CTS-V. (I should also confess that that idea came from another '33 builder whose family owned a muffler shop.) It has an internal cross-over and also has integrated cut-outs so I can uncork it on demand. I used 1 pipe from the FFR rear exhaust kit. After that, it was all custom (my fuel tanks fill the area behind the seats and in front of the IRS).

20190607_165058.jpg

Keith HR #894
    Yeah, Keith, I like how you built yours and am still strongly considering using your fuel tank design. I asked Boys and they aren't doing custom work anymore.
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, that's very disappointing about Boyd. They did excellent work at a fair price, but that was years ago. I queried 3 or 4 shops that claimed to do custom fuel tanks back then and Boyd was the only one that would even try. If you can find a shop that is skilled in welding aluminum, I could provide more photos showing more details of the construction - if that would be any help. If that doesn't work out, you might look into semi-custom racing tanks. That was a path I didn't completely investigate when Boyd signed up for the job.

Keith HR #894

Post Thanks / Like
    WRP had posted this pic of a fuel tank, no indication of who made it.
    See pic in post #7
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...493#post552493
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also thought the FFR rear exhaust price was rather excessive. I have factory cats that came with my Chevy A-Rod LS3 and the FFR stock exhaust had to be modified anyway so I bought a 2 1/2 stainless pipe kit and cut and shaped as needed. Had it all TIG welded with identical tips for less $. I have 2 V-Band clamps on each side, for exhaust removal, and you can rotate the pipes at these clamps for placement relative to the chassis. The FFR rear exhaust lists as 3 inch rear exhaust, NOT. I think what they mean is the top to bottom size of the tips are 3 inches, the pipes definitely aren't. The standard side exhaust pipes are only 2 1/4 OD.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    For a custom tank maybe give these guys a shout:

https://www.mckinneycorp.com

Earl
    1st Speedstar in Canada 31 March 2023.
    Built by me 302 engine, AOD trans, 3.55 IRS.

9. Thanks JimLev thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the rear exhaust with IRS and still had plenty of room for fuel pump, filters and such. Could probably squeeze the battery under there too if you wanted but I put it in the trunk for much easier access.

With the rear exit and no cross pipe, it has a really cool "in stereo" sound standing behind it

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

11. Likes Tom Veale liked this post