Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Expanding Foam Footbox Seal Tape Hasn't Expanded

Post Thanks / Like

Expanding Foam Footbox Seal Tape Hasn't Expanded

Looking for a reality check on the expanding foam that FF provides. I had searched and found a few discussions before mounting the body. Paul (edwardb) had noted that he had used it successfully and that was enough justification for me to proceed. As it sits, I mounted the body 2+ weeks ago and the foam is still less than 5/8" tall. I have a couple scrap pieces I didn't use and they are similar in size. I researched the emseal product and didn't find a lot of info on troubleshooting foam that didn't expand. I'm in construction and we use emseal products frequently. They are generally quite good. Last night I took a hair dryer and warmed the loose pieces of foam up to see if that would help. After 20 minutes of concentrated warm air, it is now almost 7/8" thick. I'm wondering how much expansion other people have seen and how long it took. My garage is probably 55 degrees at the moment and I'm hoping it will continue to grow to seal the gaps but I'm less confident with every day that passes. With everything mounted, I'll be ready for the road this weekend and I'm not interested in taking the body off to fix. I'll be looking at stuffing in pool noodles or another option if necessary. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Lars
    Novice Build: 289 USRRC Complete Kit #10524, 3rd Gen Coyote, TKX, IRS, 17" Halibrands, Wilwood Brakes, Power Steering

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have used pool noodles to seal those areas between the foot boxes and the body. Once in place I use black flex seal. See post #47 in attached thread.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...allace18/page2
    16+ FFR kits and counting!

Post Thanks / Like
    The proper way to use the provided expanding foam seal is to install the whole package that FFR supplies into the nearest trash can then run down to your local Lowes, Home Depot or hardware store and pick up a package of 2 1/4" window air conditioner insulating foam and a can of spray contact cement.

I apply it to the footbox sides as shown before installing the bodies. Unlike pool noodles when it's compressed and then springs back it doesn't apply enough pressure to affect the body shape.

I do this on every car that I build or paint.

Hope that helps!

Jeff

4. Likes BornWestUSA, cc2Arider liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What Jeff said.
    mike

Post Thanks / Like
    x3 on what Jeff and Mike said.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    If that stuff is more than a few months old, it won't expand, and YES Jeff is correct. Again.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff Kleiner is RIGHT!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, AC seal is the best way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great tip. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    The proper way to use the provided expanding foam seal is to install the whole package that FFR supplies into the nearest trash can then run down to your local Lowes, Home Depot or hardware store and pick up a package of 2 1/4" window air conditioner insulating foam and a can of spray contact cement.

I apply it to the footbox sides as shown before installing the bodies. Unlike pool noodles when it's compressed and then springs back it doesn't apply enough pressure to affect the body shape.

I do this on every car that I build or paint.

Hope that helps!

Jeff
    Is it possible to install effectively after the body is on? I purchased a car that was already built and looking for a way to beat the heat coming through the footbox.
    Last edited by Benchwarmer; 04-29-2024 at 09:35 PM.
    New to me FFR MK3 Cobra 4300RD - '94 5.0 Drivetrain - 4-link