FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Corbeau Evolution X seat fitment

Post Thanks / Like

Corbeau Evolution X seat fitment

My Corbeau Evolution X seat showed up today and I'm really kinda bummed out. I'm 5' 10" and the seat is comfortable but I don't know how anyone could possibly drive the car with these unless you were really short. the seat is as far back as it will physically go and my legs have to be significantly bent with my shin on the diagonal bar and the steering wheel on my lap. it sits too high and too far forward. I even removed the sliders and tried reclining and its just doesn't work. I'm not sure how you guys who have them are doing it or maybe I'm longer in the legs or something. sitting in the car without a seat it felt like there was all kinds of room. I guess I'm gonna have to get one of the Kirkey seats and church it up. really sucks because I love the seat and looks great in the car from others builds.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear about your fitment issues. You could have the top of the headrest reshaped by a good upholsterer, but more money. I have the Corbeau A4 wide seat already for my 70 Mustang restomod. I think with your issues known and the success that Paul (EdwardB) had installing the A4 wide seats in his coupe, that will be the route I would take.
    Another option would be to move and or reshape the tubing that is interfering with your shins and the top of the seat. Good luck there is always a solution, it just may take more modifications than you expected. I will tell you that I have made so many mods to my Mustang and parts to get everything to play together, just the way things roll when you are doing custom stuff. In our case, custom is anything not specified in the FF build manual. Sorry to say this, get used to it as this will not be the last time you will have to modify one or more parts to achieve the fit you were after.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    EdwardB has these seats in his coupe, not the A4. One of the main reasons I got these because they looks soo good in the car. The headrest is the least of the issue really. It that in my case I can’t get the seat low enough even if it’s sitting directly on the floor pan. It is what it is we’re all built different. The seats are awesome if I could only position them right. I’m just going to sell these though, there’s no room for any significant adjustment that’s going to make a difference. Only thing would be lowering the seat pan.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am 6ft and have the Sparco Grid Qs. There is plenty of room with them mounted to the pan. I did modify the fiberglass some to move them back further.

20230910_123741.jpg20230910_123842.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, those are the seats I have in my Coupe. Corbeau Sportline Evolution-X 64901F, black vinyl/carbon fiber vinyl, red stitching. Purchased in 2018 along with the Corbeau Single Slider Brackets C22059 and installed during the build shortly afterwards. I'm 5' 9" and fit very comfortably. Due to the width of the seats and intrusion of the rear wheel well in the outside corners, mine stop a little short at the back so leave an inch of two of unused space behind the seat. No problem for me. Over the years, I've pointed this out to others who may be taller than me. Mine do have a slight interference with the outside top roll bar. But nothing like yours.

You are now the third person I've heard about (there may be more) who have tried these seats since I did mine and find they don't fit well. To the point of maybe not being useable as you have concluded. Really sorry to hear that of course. I can only conclude that Corbeau has made changes to the seats. I've heard the sliders I used aren't even available anymore. Obviously I have no control of what Corbeau does and can only say again I'm sorry they didn't work for you.

My 20th Anniversary Roadster was completed almost 10 years ago and I still get questions about it. The Coupe was almost five years ago now and also I regularly get questions. I guess some caution is necessary in all cases with build threads as they age.
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-20-2024 at 10:05 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh its not your fault at all man, you have no control over the manufacturer or peoples sizes. To be clear the seat does fit it just doesn't fit in a position that works for my size. The sliders I have are their 1" ones which are low profile but as you can see it places the headrest pretty high up and against the side bar and the bar was around temple level. Without the slider and directly on the floor it was a little better but I couldn't get it back far enough to stretch my legs out. Maybe if the seatbelt brackets were moved I could get it back another 1-2" but I'm not sure. Anyway, not bagging on the seats and its defiantly not on you. Just putting it out there as an honest experience that future people can reference.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m using big seats. Took off the left most seatbelt bracket and rewelded it out further, gave me a bunch of room to move back.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using the same Corbeau seats, and can confirm they don't fit out of the box anymore. For me the biggest problem was the seat belt brackets didn't work at all. We then realized that the transmission tunnel wasn't very symmetrical and the driver's side was angled out, making the floor over an inch narrower on that side. Luckily, I think welding is fun so we cut out the upright tubes and made new ones that were perpendicular to the floor and made more space at the rear of the tunnel. We made new seat belt brackets and moved those back as well. Next we made non-adjustable seat mounts that will tilt the seat back and rotate it slightly inward to clear the roll bar. The mock up looks good, but I just got the pedal box installed so nothing is finalized yet. Changing the shape of the tunnel is also going to require some new sheet metal, but I should be able to figure that out.