BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coyote Gen 3 Oil Temp with Moroso Oil Pan

Post Thanks / Like

Question Coyote Gen 3 Oil Temp with Moroso Oil Pan

Hi All. I have a Forte's Coyote Gen 3 build with the Moroso oil pan. I'm up in Canada, first drive today, and water temp was between 160 and 170. Oil temp never moved off the bottom stop, 140. When I got back to the shop, I used my temp gun on the pan, and it read around 114F. I think once last summer, when it was warm out and water temp got up to 200 (fan turned on), I might have seen the oil temp gauge finally move off of the low stop and get up to maybe 160. Just curious as to what people are seeing as 'normal' (non-racing) oil temp for the Coyote Gen 3 with the big Moroso pan. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    When Cruising in my coupe in 70 degree weather oil runs 140 give or take. Once I flat bottomed the car the Temps now run 175 which is where I want it. At a sustained 135-140 mph I see 200-210 and on track its 205-220 depending on outside temps. I installed an oil cooler but never hooked it up as its not needed. Water runs 180-205 depending but has never been over 205. Now the differential is another issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, don't know what you mean by "flat bottomed?"

Part of my reasoning for asking about oil temo is that I want to make sure the sensor or gauge is not defective.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oil temp is very dependent on RPMs so when you're just cruising 140ish is quite common. Start twisting it's tail and it will rise rapidly.

Jeff

5. Thanks 32J thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What diff? What temp?
    I'm planning temp gauges for the trans and diff.
    Jim
    2016 Mk4 Challenge Car, IRS, 3.31 Torsen, RDI Aluminum 427w, AFR 225s, Vic Jr. ProSystems 780 HP, TKO-600 w/Liberty mods. Forward cage. Levy 6/4 piston Wilwoods. Not completed yet, will be a streetable track car.
    2004 Superformance MkIII #1855, 2007 Superformance MkIII #2584 purchased in 2012 both sold.

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    my oil temps don't rise much at all to be honest, but I have just been go-karting - I'm betting like Jeff stated, hop on it a bit and temps will rise
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Without a cooler, water temp and il temps should be somewhat close to each other.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Flat bottom or belly pan as they also call it is to put aluminum sheet under car to make it smooth for Aero.
    I have aluminum installed from the nose to the engine oil pan.
    As for the Diff, I am using the mustang IRS and at a sustained 140MPH it was 250 degrees. We shall see how it does at 165 in about 4 weeks.
    Might need a diff cooler down the road. The trans is a T56 and I don't have a temp gauge but the oil didn't smell good when I changed it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, I'm feeling like what I'm seeing during normal cruising is normal. Thanks everyone.