FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tach wiring using Holley Sniper 2 Hyperspark Ignition system

Post Thanks / Like

Tach wiring using Holley Sniper 2 Hyperspark Ignition system

Has anyone any experience is connecting the electric tach to the Holley Sniper 2 HyperSpark Ignition system? I am pulling my hair out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you asking how to get a tach signal to your kit-supplied tachometer gauge? If so, assuming you have the Vintage Speedhut gauges, you need to connect the yellow signal wire on the back of the tach gauge to the (-) lead on your ignition coil. Not sure if this helps.
    Built an early MkIII years ago, sold years ago.
    Got Corvettes out of my system, and now back after 18 years to build a MkIV.
    MkIV Complete Kit Ordered 4/18/23, Delivered 7/11/23, 427 Stroker, Holley Sniper 2, Hyperspark, TKX, IRS, Wilwood Big Brakes
    Here to learn, contribute, and have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Try reading the manual?
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    Try reading the manual?
    That is just a suggestion of one way to do it!
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pin K, gray wire on the Sniper 2 goes to the signal pin of the autometer Tach..... Seems straight forward, isn't that working for you?

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Try reading the manual?
    I do agree with you on this, but in his defense, I've read both the Sniper 2 and Hyperspark manuals, and either I missed it, or they don't tell you how to wire up your tach to the system. The installation manuals for Sniper and Hyperspark are focused on how to connect them to the battery and to each other, and that's about it. The instructions for the gauges, however, are pretty straightforward, and the tach instructions clearly state that you hook the signal wire to the negative post of the coil.

***EDIT***

I stand corrected. Here it is...pretty straightforward...Pin K in the 16-pin EFI Input/Output harness...the grey wire...labeled 'tach output - Used to Drive an Aftermarket Tachometer'. Would be easier than tapping into the negative wire to the coil.

Sniper Pinout.jpg

Greg
    Last edited by gbranham; 04-26-2024 at 01:59 PM.
    MkIV Complete Kit Ordered 4/18/23, Delivered 7/11/23, 427 Stroker, Holley Sniper 2, Hyperspark, TKX, IRS, Wilwood Big Brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys can criticize me all you want, but I have very little patience for anyone that make little to no effort to understand or figure out what they are doing. The answer is in the instructions that come with the hardware. Why not educate yourself by reading how something works? I guarantee you will remember and expand you knowledge by studying how, not just copying someone else's answers.
    Yes I'm old fashion, and old too.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys can criticize me all you want, but I have very little patience for anyone that make little to no effort to understand or figure out what they are doing. The answer is in the instructions that come with the hardware. Why not educate yourself by reading how something works? I guarantee you will remember and expand you knowledge by studying how, not just copying someone else's answers.
    Yes I'm old fashion, and old too.
    I get it. I would say it takes more effort to express your grouchiness than to simply ignore the posts that trigger you, though. It's the difference between being a grouchy old turd and being a troll. You're not going to change everyone's ways one grouchy post at a time.

Personally, I like helping folks. I derive pleasure from it, and I get plenty of help, so maybe I'm returning the favor, or paying it forward on occasion. That's what makes this forum great. Maybe you're too old and grouchy to be a positive contributor anymore...
    Last edited by gbranham; 04-26-2024 at 03:50 PM.