BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Interior and fit and finish

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Interior and fit and finish

I think dave has made it pretty clear that the 818 will have a spartan interior in addition coming unpainted (with a gel-coat). I'm wondering what would be the steps to really make the interior presentable. I see a lot of posts of people that do paint prep and even paint themselves on other FFR builds, but not as much on the interior.

I did come across this thread of ron schefield who is doing a custom type 65 dash, and I must wonder of the process.

The 818 is a car I intend on showing off (car meets, nightclubs, PCH, Hollywood), and I think with enough work it could be a real VIP car.

Boost Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't see this being any type of "VIP" car and if you are going for that look I think you need to move onto another car. This thing is going to be TINY, think of shrunken version of a lotus. VIP cars are all about comfort and luxury which is the opposite of what this car embodies. You want a small nimble track inspired car that can do some street driving around town the 818 would fit the build but luxury???? Never

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    For what it is worth, the projected wheelbase (95") is longer than an elise (90") and shorter than a gallardo by 5".

Anyway, I'm not aiming for luxury. I also realize that a firmed suspension and 5 point safety harness are far from comfortable. Than again, I want this to be an enthusiast car, but that can be accomplished without sacrificing class. I know, if properly tuned (and properly driven), it could but an M3, elise, or possibly a lambo to shame on the track. But what about in the showroom?

Anyway, since this a project car, it can be anything the owner wants. As long as weight isn't compromised I see no reason it can't have the refinement of a more expensive car. The question is how.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Shinn, I think your question is too broad. What kind of treatments are you thinking about? Leather dash? Simulated or real wood paneling? Gauge pod? If you know what you want, it will be easier for others to help you with the process.

On the other hand, if you are looking for ideas on ways to spruce up the interior, can you give some examples of the types of interiors you like (either with pics, or naming specific models of cars). Again, this will help others help you!

Post Thanks / Like
    First I think we need to see what FFR plans to use from the donor for interior bits first.
    Certainly the gage cluster, but what else?
    2011 Subaru Forester - the DD - uber rare 5spd manual
    1990 Miata - Track Rat, autocrossing cheap POS - love it
    2018 Factory 5 Racing 818 Hardtop Coupe - preapproved by the wife

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shinn497 View Post
    I did come across this thread of Ron Schofield who is doing a custom type 65 dash, and I must wonder of the process.
    Shinn,

I updated the thread with some more recent pictures. As for the process, it took me about a year to design, mock-up and build the molds and final pieces for my interior. It was a lot of work and still is. Was it worth it, YES! I love the looks and that is because I built it to meet my desires. Built it how you want it to be built. I wanted my Coupe to be a modern version in the same lines as the Ford GT is a modern version of the GT40. The Ford GT is a nimble track inspired car and the interior is built for luxury.

All the work that I did is blogged and you can check it out in my Blog sig.

Ron
    Type 65 Coupe Builder / Coupe Parts Vendor

Websites:
    myCoupe Build
    F5Registry

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nice work ron. Out of curiosity, can you provide more details on how to make the molds for your interior fiberglass panels?

Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    What kind of treatments are you thinking about? Leather dash? Simulated or real wood paneling? Gauge pod? If you know what you want, it will be easier for others to help you with the process.
    The short answer would be what ever is the cheapest/lightest weight. Of course, if I had a more liberal budget, I would go for carbon fiber and stitched leather. Perhaps two toned painted in whatever bodycolor the car is and unpainted. If the body style i srodney's I would like the interior to reflect how the outside's exposed plastic.

I would also look into fitting a sound system and heating.

I found some DIY carbon fiber kits and while I'm sure doing an entire interior would add up they aren't unreasonably expensive...unless I'm missing something.

Post Thanks / Like
    interior is really important. A crappy interior that screams "kit car" can break a design and get you laughed at. I.e.: Fiero kits with stock interiors that get laughed at. Most owners also spend most of their time inside their cars driving them, rather than staring at the outside.

Post Thanks / Like
    To each his own. They can laugh at me all they want; while I wait for their slow ***** at the next stop. I'm not interested in posing, I'm interested in driving. For me, it will be a performance car, and if that means a "lesser" interior, oh well. On a sport bike you learn to live with what you get (in terms of a dash) - because it's about the performance, not the look or the luxury. This will be no different for me.

That said, build it how YOU want it That's the great thing about a kit...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well I think the interior will be more important for the following reasons.

1. The first versions will be roadster only. And by coupe, I'm not even sure that we're gauranteed windows or a soft top. Therein the interior will be very visible.

2. It will most likely be very spartan. Mind you this is an 818kg 10,000$ kit, so I think they will skimp on several things. We know it will have some more expensive things like konie shocks, independant suspension, molded body. And I think for cost and weight reasons the interior will be basic. I remember dave saying something similiar to this.

I think we can expect something akin to the type 65 coupe which is ok.

I think those Fiero kit cars get laughed it because the fiero is an outdated platform and that care is often a base for bodykits that look way more expensive (ferrari lambo). They don't look quite right and they certainly don't have the feel of the originals. The crappy interior further gives it away. The 818 is not that. It is its own thing and certainly has the potential to outperform even an exotic car for not too much money.

I actually would like a spartan interior. It does not constrict us and allows us to build it however we want.
    Last edited by shinn497; 01-25-2012 at 01:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. The Type 65 dash is beyond spartan, or even rustic. I think I'd have to term it rudimentary. Even *I* would feel the need to dress that up just a bit! LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shinn497 View Post
    Nice work ron. Out of curiosity, can you provide more details on how to make the molds for your interior fiberglass panels?
    Thanks.

You can search my build site.

http://www.mycoupe.ca/search.php?que...wall&andor=AND

I am also putting a list of the supplies that I used to do the fiberglass work.

http://www.mycoupe.ca/modules/AMS/ar...php?storyid=32
    Type 65 Coupe Builder / Coupe Parts Vendor

Websites:
    myCoupe Build
    F5Registry

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a difference between "spartan" and fit and finish.

Spartan is OK, possibly desired.

Poor fit and finish is a huge turn off. The 818 is being designed as a no-bodywork car, and the interior should also follow that mantra - the parts should at least fit together well and look acceptable regading gaps, solidness, placements, etc.

A spartin, low feature interior can actually be used as a tool to help produce something with decent fit and finish when the budget is tight. Less "crap" in the interior means less effort, and expense, to make it all work together.

I've said it before regarding the styling and chassis too...I'd rather have less, but high quality and attention to detail....than more, but cheapened and rushed.
    Last edited by PhyrraM; 01-24-2012 at 01:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's been covered, but for the target price, I don't think one should expect very much (at least if you're not ok with being disappointed).

But the nice thing is that this is YOUR car to design--probably more so than any one you've ever bought at a dealer. You can do whatever you want with the interior--and while at first the interior might not be a big deal, after you spend a lot of money, time, and effort making the outside look good, there's a good chance you might then decide to give the interior just as much attention. It happened to me, but now I get to design my ideal interior and have fun watching it come together:

One of the best things is that you don't have to be limited by the big companies' bean-counters that usually rule the quality of material or how exotic the styling can be. Well, I suppose a wife might somewhat take over that position...but there are ways to appease them, at least....

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great!

Post Thanks / Like
    This is an interesting thread indeed.

So far there seems to be discussion around the spartan versus luxury approach to the interior. May I suggest that there is a third option that I will refer to as the stylish approach (think Apple even though it makes me cringe!).

I am impressed with the spartan approach to the default interior look and feel - this is only the gauge cluster and nothing more. I also agree with earlier posters that a luxury approach does not really suit the attitude of the car. That is where the third approach comes in. Some constructors would like a stereo headunit, perhaps heater and AC climate controls, additional instrumentation (e.g. oil pressure, oil temperature, boost), push button start/stop and even satnav (ok maybe a small android device with Google maps, Torque app, laptimer apps etc.). The purists would say why, but most would agree that extra instrumentation will help protect your engine on the track and music is an essential part of being a daily driver.

So the challenge is how to incorporate some selected additions to the dash without making it look like a fruit salad.

The other thing that screams kitcar to me is the centre tunnel - this is because in its default layout it is square-edged and covered with carpet. Even the way the handbrake is positioned makes it look pretty budget. My thoughts were to take the Subaru centre console and skin it with carbon-fibre and use it over the top of the centre tunnel carpet. This is how it is mounted in the WRX anyway. By skinning it, and the vertical centre section of the dash and a panel on each of the doors, there is a balance of carbon-fibre and upholstery. I am also considering using the WRX dash console for the extra heater controls and android tablet - appropriately skinned in CF too. I would use what has become known as the 'longisland' gear shift mounting position.

This approach allows the main dash to remain extremely spartan while providing an area for other switches, dials and functionality. It also removes one of the areas (the centre tunnel) that I feel doesn't live up to the promise of the car. If that all works out then all I have to do is think of a way to remove the gap at the front of the doors and I will be happy!