BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Trunk Aluminum

Post Thanks / Like

Trunk Aluminum

I have MKIV 7622 and am ready for trunk aluminum to go in. The manuel shows a separate piece over the fuel pump at a higher level than the floor over the sending unit. But my aluminum is one piece all the way across. Seems like I'm loosing tunk space that way. In any event do I have the wrong aluminum pieces? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's the way my MII is/was - one flat panel across the entire width. I didn't know the MIV had changed that in any way.

In any case, yes, you are losing a lot of trunk space. if you're going to use a fuel cell, that area beneath the trunk floor will be filled. But if you're using a donor fuel tank, that space is empty.

Lots of people have modified their trunk floors to use that space. Cobra Earl has a very nice kit to help you do that. I started with his kit and then made some slight mods to improve it for my use. I'm sure others will share their solutions here.

I have plenty of trunk space for my wife and I to pack everything we need for a week long road trip. Including convertable top, tools, etc.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    The early Mk4 I built had the dropped trunk floor:

Shortly after production began FFR went back to the higher, flat floor with triangulated bracing as was used on Mk3 and earlier cars. As Bob mentions Cobraearl makes a trunk box to capitalize on the dead space above the fuel tank. His version has the builder cut the trianglating tubing out. On my Mk3 I constructed my own but left the tubing in place.

I can still fit two helmets into the open triangles and all sorts of soft stuff around 'em. One of the best mods I did.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good. I'll check out his site. He has other things I've purchased. Thanks Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a link to one I'm installing from Dark Water Customs:

http://www.darkwatercustoms.com/cart...product=474076

Separate boxes within 2 of the triangle spaces, including a cover. Doesn't look as large as the other, but just another idea.
    CL
    Confidence: The feeling you have before you truly understand the situation. FFR 7652 Mk IV Base Kit w/IRS: ordered 10/19/2011; Arrived 11/19/2011. Coyote, Trans & headers Installed 9/11/17. First Start 12/19/17, First Go-cart 3/2/18. Aligned and go-karting. Working the interior now. Happy customer of FFR, North RaceCars, Forte's, and Breeze.
    Chris Lewis

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks E-ticket. I like the glove box also since my heater is in the place for a normal glove box. I'll see if I get a response from Cobra Earl as I e-mailed him about his trunk mod. Thanks again.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    trunk box2.jpgtrunk box1.jpg I did my own (back before there were any vendors making a kit.)

Just cut the factory trunk floor and have left the boxes open.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue