BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Split Front Mounted Radiators

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz Rules View Post
    I think the rounded corners will really make a difference. They make it look more refined. I like it
    Ash,

After I made them I was not very impressed by how the profile turned out. My skill level did not match my imagination very well and while it bugged me I was happy to keep in way down the list of priorities.
    A couple of months ago a friend drove my car while I followed in my truck as I wanted to see how bad the oil seal blow by was on one of the turbo’s. I led the GTM onto the freeway and I looked back in the rear view mirror and was not happy how the intakes violently contrasted, (in my mind at least) to the rest of the car. It’s a small change that I should have finished over the next couple of weeks but it should allow me to get back to the important stuff.
    Cheers,
    Dave

GTM # 294 Build Start Date 10/12/2009,
    2000 C5 Donor, LS-1 Twin Turbo, AC/Heat, G50-20.02 6 speed, Brandwood Cable shifter
    Build site. http://s679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/dfraser/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kabacj View Post
    Looking good Dave. I am looking forward to joining you creating some custom GTM bodywork features.
    Thanks John.
    Your posts on aero enhancements have added a couple of items to my list.
    Cheers,
    Dave

2000 C5 Donor, LS-1 Twin Turbo, AC/Heat, G50-20.02 6 speed, Brandwood Cable shifter

Post Thanks / Like
    Slowly chipping away at the hood.
    The ally plate bonded to the hood still needs to be glassed in.
    A little more bracing to be done from the hinge back to the chassis and from what I am seeing I may not need additional reinforcing in the hood but I have a few ideas if it looks risky.
    I used rod ends to give the hood some alignment flexibility.
    The gas struts supplied by FF5 for the hood are too strong and cause the hood to bend when closed and latched so I am looking at some lower or zero rated units.
    The range of motion is enough to get decent assess to the trunk and battery etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

The hard part is done and the hood works.
    Still some adjusting to do along complete welding out the frame work, the body work and painting but it operates very well.
    I will have to do a little reinforcing of the hood but I am very happy with how this is turning out.
    So glad that I was able to spend a couple of hours in the shed today.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks really nice and clean, Dave. Did you bend the hinges yourself?
    That's a really elegant solution.

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks really nice and clean, Dave. Did you bend the hinges yourself?
    That's a really elegant solution.
    Thanks Ash.
    I bent the hinges myself and will post photos once I have them cleaned up, pre and post powder coating.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a couple of days of vacation to burn so what better way to pass the time than to spend it than in the shed.
    Got the fiber glass work completed, (radius’ d the corners) on the radiator openings and will start the body filler in the morning to make it pretty.
    I increased the center opening and have started marking out the mold so that should be glassed in and smoothed out by the end of tomorrow.
    Fingers crossed for paint on Friday.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Tried using the florist foam for the center section mold and I have to wonder why it took me so dam long to try it. Magic stuff!
    The recess for the AC condenser and front brake cooling ducts is molded and I think turned out pretty good.
    Ran out of time to do any body work on the front but I did get the hinge brackets tweaked and ready to powder coat tomorrow.
    I tried to stay as true to Ash’s photoshop idea as I could but the size of the number plate forced a slight change.
    Looks like tomorrow is a Bondo day!
    Cheers,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Great progress Dave

Your idea of using the December vacation for GTM work is a good one.

The floral foam sands nicely. The pink insulation foam works reasonably well also. It's stiffer and more dent resistant but is harder to sand smoothly.

At least you guys have nice enough weather to do dusty work outside. I've spent the last few weekends installing heat in the garage. I have always used a space heater. But wow thermostat controlled heat is awesome. Now I can live in the garage 24/7 year round.

After you finish up this mod are you going to paint? Oh and since you are tracking your car. You might want to add a tow strap somewhere on the front of the car. Just something to think about. I've been towed in twice already. Ran out of gas once. No gas guage at that point. And spun off the track stalled it and my old small racing battery could not crank the hot motor. You don't need the toe strap or hook, but is sure nice to not worry when they pull you back to the pits.
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    John,
    What have you used to cover the foam that is good for reasonably complex profiles? I have been using aluminum foil and painters tape but it has it limits.
    I am in no hurry to paint the car mainly because my toy budget has to include a 2nd school tuition, (why do I pay taxes again?) starting this year and my list of suspension and engine upgrades has a higher priority. Unfortunately I really like those $600 double adjustable shocks that quick racing sells.
    Re tow point… I knew that I was forgetting something! I looked at that about a month ago and meant to incorporate that into the front design. Thanks for the reminder. I will make it work somehow.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser D View Post
    The recess for the AC condenser and front brake cooling ducts is molded and I think turned out pretty good.
    I tried to stay as true to Ash’s photoshop idea as I could but the size of the number plate forced a slight change.
    Actually, Dave, I think I like your way better!
    (Damn big license plates...how come everything in Texas is oversized? )

Glad I could help out, even if only minimally. Make sure you plug my vendor status so I can do this for others, too! (Shameless self promotion! )

No, seriously, I really like what you are doing with your car! You deserve a lot of credit for your originality and design/fabrication skills. This is a truly unique build.

Post Thanks / Like
    John,
    What have you used to cover the foam that is good for reasonably complex profiles? I have been using aluminum foil and painters tape but it has it limits.
    For a one off part like you are making I do the same with foil and tape over foam. This method definitely takes more filling and working the final shape. Its almost like you are sculpting the part as opposed to producing a copy off the foam plug. For the more complex part that I might want to make more than one of I cover the foam with fiberglass, then body filler, then gel coat and make a re useable mold. I think both methods work and the foil method is far easier.

I am in no hurry to paint the car mainly because my toy budget has to include a 2nd school tuition, (why do I pay taxes again?) starting this year and my list of suspension and engine upgrades has a higher priority. Unfortunately I really like those $600 double adjustable shocks that quick racing sells.
    I am in the same boat with two kids in school paying once in taxes and again. I feel your pain on that one. Yep I would also concentrate on the go fast parts instead of paint. Im going with a simple single stage paint job for this season. As fasthings has shown us you can get an incredible finish with single stage and its far more friendly to the garage paint job.

Re tow point… I knew that I was forgetting something! I looked at that about a month ago and meant to incorporate that into the front design. Thanks for the reminder. I will make it work somehow.
    Yeah im sure it will be fine. The only thing to consider is when you are pulled off the track many times the sideways load is greater then the load that goes in line with the car. The tow truck is never in front of you so its a sideways pull till you get going then you are dragging the brakes to keep the tow line taught.

My setup is strong enough to lift the car if the front wheels were unable to roll. I dont think you need to go this far. I think you can easily use a red nylon strap attached to a hard point under the body as long as the sideways load is not going to crack any fiberglass.
    XTF #2

GTM # 344

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, Dave, I think I like your way better!
    (Damn big license plates...how come everything in Texas is oversized? )

Glad I could help out, even if only minimally. Make sure you plug my vendor status so I can do this for others, too! (Shameless self promotion! )

No, seriously, I really like what you are doing with your car! You deserve a lot of credit for your originality and design/fabrication skills. This is a truly unique build.
    Thanks Ash!
    I am almost done with the body work for the front and am saving the next set of photos for the final product probably around mid this week.
    It was your concept that solved the problem of both form and function and I can’t emphasize the benefits enough of having a few variations of a concept on paper to help guide the process.
    Very glad that you are now able to offer this as a service to fellow builders.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    John,

It looks like we are on the same page regards to the foam molds.
    I am trying very hard not to ***** about our education system……… but occasionally distain seeps out.
    I think that I have a tow hitch option that I will share soon. Just need to fabricate it to make sure that it will actually work..
    Cheers,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    I would recommend shooting the foam with a build up type surface primer. You have to make sure it is compatible with your foam by trying it on a test piece, but once you get the right combo of products, this is definitely the easiest way to make a quality mold from a plug. Or even a one off from the plug, such as you did there. The primer will fill in any small imperfections and is easy to sand. Once everything is ultra smooth, then the primer is shot with a gloss surfacing coat to make it slippery. Some primers will also allow just sanding until "polished". Then a release agent, such as wax, can be applied and it is ready to make a plug or use as you did.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    It was a busy weekend with a lot of good progress made.
    The two piece hood modification is done bar the final assembly after the entire car was primered then plasti dipped. I was getting tired of the primer grey look so purchased some plasti dip then bribed a couple of friends who had the spray equipment with booze and food.
    All that is left is to install the mesh in the openings and bolt the bits back together.
    As I am so close to getting back on the road so here is a teaser pic.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks amazing~! very nice work on the 2 part hood.
    GTM #370
    Car was completed and I have SOLD my car
    http://edgemansgtm.weebly.com/index.html
    Doing what you like is freedom - liking what you do is happiness
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Agreed, it does look amazing. Being on Ontario, I've thought about 'glassing in some sort of bracket the rad opening for the license plate.

Your design, or something similar just might work (depending on air flow to the rad).
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    That looks amazing~! very nice work on the 2 part hood.
    Thanks, It took a bit of head scratching but it got there eventually

Quote Originally Posted by Lukn4trbl View Post
    Agreed, it does look amazing. Being on Ontario, I've thought about 'glassing in some sort of bracket the rad opening for the license plate.

Your design, or something similar just might work (depending on air flow to the rad).
    Thanks, it may be a way to reduce the original radiator opening without looking to goofy
    Cheers,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    We I have finished messing with the body for a little while. Just a couple of bits and pieces to tidy up then the focus will be on the mechanicals for upgrades.
    Unfortunately the only photos that I have from this weekend the car was either covered in dirt or rained on.
    Now back to the track.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    looks great Dave! When are you back out on the track?
    XTF #2

GTM # 344

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks John.
    I am looking at a couple of opportunities to run in late March with a goal of running at Texas World Speedway before they turn it into a housing development around the middle of this year.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! I am in love with your lower nose modifications!

Looks really great.

I would be tempted to change the hood a bit, but that is probably just me, I have never liked the way the radiator exit ducts looked.

On a precautionary note, I would highly recommend putting some metal screens in front of the radiators to keep them from being damaged by small stones. Pretty much a requirement if you are going to be running it at speed on a track. I can't tell from the pictures, maybe you have this already?
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    WOW! I am in love with your lower nose modifications!

Looks really great.

I would be tempted to change the hood a bit, but that is probably just me, I have never liked the way the radiator exit ducts looked.

On a precautionary note, I would highly recommend putting some metal screens in front of the radiators to keep them from being damaged by small stones. Pretty much a requirement if you are going to be running it at speed on a track. I can't tell from the pictures, maybe you have this already?

Mike, Thanks.
    I know what you mean by the hood but I don't have a clear picture in my mind what to do with it.
    There is mesh over the rads but I am using 75% opening, not the supplied 50% from FF5
    Cheers,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Putting the hood to use
    Cheers,
    Dave

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123