Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2012: New SFI Requirement

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

2012: New SFI Requirement

We just received this from Jerry Kunzman (NASA) regarding a new SFI mandate that took place on January 1, 2012:

Folks,

We had some more questions, so I am trying to clarify this. If someone is using a 38.1 device without an FIA tag (in addition), then it must be sent in to the manufacturer for rectification (at a nominal cost). Don’t ask me what it cost exactly but it’s likely to be in the $15-$40 range.

This new SFI mandate took effect Jan 1, 2012. However, there is now a grace period of enforcement until April 1, 2012. So, those that wait until April 1 and ask to slide until the next event shouldn’t get to slide. This is the period where they get to “fix it for next time.”

If a device has an FIA tag, with or without and SFI tag, then it does not need to be recertified to comply with our rules.

Please let all your tech people know, as well as your drivers, so there are no surpises.

Jerry Kunzman

Executive Director
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2011 Western Endurance Racing Championship
    2010 West Coast Champion
    Drive it.....Like you stole it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm wonder what stickers my HANS has. Thanks for the info!
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Gen3 Type65 Coupe R, Street legal.***
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Challenge Car rolling chassis, Street legal.***
    http://johngeorgeracing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    WTF? I mean they don't even require current Snell helmets in the HPDE stuff, and SCCA JUST started requiring a neck restraint in regional events, so why in the heck is NASA requiring an FIA rating on the restraints? Sounds 100% political to me. Don't know if mine qualifies or not, but this is a really crappy rule that, as far as I can see is either coming from some anally retentive lawyer for an insurance company, or is a ploy by a manufacturer that can afford the additional certifications to hinder competition for sales of devices. IMHO, this is TOTAL BS!

This is going to be a major PITA for me to deal with.

Thanks for the info though, Karen.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW- Here is what is posted on one of the neck restraint sites:

Update: We have received numerous inquires as to the status of the SFI certification of the defNder neck brace. To clarify, any defNder for sale (new or used) is certified as long as it has an SFI decal on it.

Below is the clarification off the SFI website (green section explains well):

"August 19, 2011 - Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) Club Racing recently sent out an email reminding its membership that beginning January 1, 2012, Head and Neck Restraint Devices meeting SFI Spec 38.1 will become mandatory in Club Racing Regional, National and Driver School events. In December 2009, the SCCA Board of Directors approved the motion to require a device meeting SFI 38.1 or FIA 8858 specifications, and the announcement appeared in the January 2010 issue of the SCCA publication Fastrack ® News.

The SCCA requirement specifically states in the rulebook, “As of 1/1/12, head and neck restraints meeting SFI 38.1 or FIA 8858 will be required.” The above mentioned email sent out by SCCA also went on to list certified devices which meet SFI 38.1 such as products currently produced by HANS and Safety Solutions.

SFI would like to add that there are also products from other manufacturers such as DefNder and Leatt Brace that were previously certified and labeled as meeting SFI 38.1. They are not currently listed on the SFI website because they are no longer in new production. However, any devices still in the field or at retail outlets that have SFI 38.1 stickers on them were properly tested and certified at the time. The certifications for those devices remain valid"

If it's an either/or requirement, yeah that would be fine, but a mandatory FIA seems a little out of line. To me anyway.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2011 Western Endurance Racing Championship
    2010 West Coast Champion
    Drive it.....Like you stole it!

Post Thanks / Like
    So it looks like a new 5 year rule on the restraints is being instituted. I understand this because many of them are made out of composites or plastics, and I was wondering when they would be officially "timed out". Still don't see anything about the FIA certification requirements though.

Do you have something you can post about that particular possible FIA requirement Karen?
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Good news, My DFender does in fact have the 38.1 SFI sticker on it.
    2012 NASA-SE FFR Champion
    2011 NASA-SE FFR Champion
    Race page - http://www.mh-motorsports.com/race.shtml
    Team Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/MH-Mot...s/264814350042

Post Thanks / Like
    Lets make this Simple:

If it has an FIA sticker, you are ok "forever"

If it has an SFI sticker, you need to follow this schedule:

SFI Sticker Month/Year Expiration Date
    Month/2004 April 1, 2012
    Month/2005 April 1, 2012
    Month/2006 April 1, 2012
    Jan-Mar/2007 April 1, 2012
    Apr-Dec/2007 Month/2012
    Month/2008 Month/2013
    Month/2009 Month/2014
    Month/2010 Month/2015
    Month/2011 Month/2016

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vnmsss View Post

If a device has an FIA tag, with or without and SFI tag, then it does not need to be recertified to comply with our rules.
    OK, so if it has FIA tag, you need to do nothing! (mine has both FIA and SFI, see pic below)

Post Thanks / Like
    closeup of FIA tag

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here's a picture of the newest tags on the Hans, purchased the first of the year.

Hank
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would bet that these will have a regulated service life, just like helmets do, so we aren't out of the woods yet. And the Defnder products, I don't believe, have an FIA rating. Matter of fact, this company was based in my neck of the woods, and the word is that the cost of the FIA requirement has put Defnder out of business. I like their product, as it appears that it offers better lateral protection than any of the Hans devices I have seen or used, but the politics, it appears, has put the main competitor to Hans out of business.

Guess I'm off to buy another neck restraint!
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Crash,
    it was basically Hans that put Defnder out of business with an infringement lawsuit.
    2012 NASA-SE FFR Champion
    2011 NASA-SE FFR Champion
    Race page - http://www.mh-motorsports.com/race.shtml
    Team Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/MH-Mot...s/264814350042

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to clarify. Right from the NASA rule book...

There is an up to date list of devices that are SFI 38.1 certified located here:
    http://www.sfifoundation.com/manuf.html#38.1. If the device is not on this list it will not
    fulfill the use mandate. As of April 1, 2012 all devices that have and SFI certification and
    are more than five (5) years old should be sent back to the manufacturer for rectification
    per SFI 38.1 specifications. Those devices that have an FIA certification, whether they
    also have an SFI certification or not, are not required to be recertified.

So if you are within the 5 year limit and it is SFI certified, you should be fine.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts