FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welcome to the Roadster forum! PLEASE READ

Post Thanks / Like
    newbie here. just starting to look for a donor car and getting to learn from the threads. found a car that is not starting but seems cheap but still have to do research if the vin is provided to me by the seller. 2000 GT 4.6 automatic 81k miles garage kept. seller claims has no clue why the car is not starting despite having "many new parts". not thrilled with the automatic so how much woud switching with a manual set me back if I had to. do automatic transmissions sell in the used market?
    my thought is to invest in cheap donor first and the dive in to order the kit when I have a better handle on how much more I have to buy away from the donor.

appreciate any thoughts.

given the welcome message - should I go for an 818 instead for something more manageable?

thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forums. Building a roadster is an experience that many over the years have shared. Building most of the FFR products is pretty straight forward and the forum is here to offer assistance and spend your money. Not many have built the 818 as production is only about two months along. In my opinion the GTM is the hardest build followed by the coupe and then the rest are about the same. There have been builds using an automatic transmission so unless you actually want the 5-speed you could convert later provided you get the manual pedal box parts.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    I like your offer to help me spend my money - not sure what my wife and kids will think though!

I see an ad for a manual transmission from a 2001 Mustang Cobra - Tremec 5 speed Transmission (listed as in excellent condition) - is that tranny compatible with the 2000 GT 4.6 that I am considering for a donor car to replace the automatic transmission? Is $450 a fair price for a 12 year tranny used in the northeast? If I want it re-conditioned, how much should it cost? There is probably some recovery value to the automatic transmission but I'll cross the bridge when I get there.

I think this idea for a project is starting to become an obsession.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi. I am considering buying a mk4. I am fairly mechanically inclined but necessary in auto. I have messaged factory five and they don’t seem to think assembling one should be a problem. I have watched a few YouTube videos and browsed the manual and it doesn’t look too intimidating. I would like other builders opinions on the difficulty of the build please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Claytong View Post
    Hi. I am considering buying a mk4. I am fairly mechanically inclined but necessary in auto. I have messaged factory five and they don’t seem to think assembling one should be a problem. I have watched a few YouTube videos and browsed the manual and it doesn’t look too intimidating. I would like other builders opinions on the difficulty of the build please.
    I had never done anything on a car other than changing a tire and I was able to build two roadsters thanks to the help on the forums. YOU CAN DO IT!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

6. Likes StoneyCreekCobra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Appreciate the response. Can I ask what all u used for engine drivetrain and how difficult that part was?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Claytong View Post
    Appreciate the response. Can I ask what all u used for engine drivetrain and how difficult that part was?
    I used crate motors for both of my builds. There are several vendors who can supply "turn key" drivetrains. I'm a big guy so I got 302 cu in motors for both of my builds.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    Perfect thanks for the info

Post Thanks / Like
    You can do it. It just takes persistance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Howdy David,

I’m trying to get more info on the head pad you attached to the roll bar there on your blue build.

Is that a custom product you created?

Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    I had never done anything on a car other than changing a tire and I was able to build two roadsters thanks to the help on the forums. YOU CAN DO IT!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aircontroller View Post
    Howdy David,

I’m trying to get more info on the head pad you attached to the roll bar there on your blue build.

Is that a custom product you created?
    In case he doesn't see your post I'll answer for David---the pads like shown on the blue car were produced by our friend Cobra Earl and are out of production. You might turn up an unused one by posting a "want to buy" in the classifieds. Heck, it might be worth sending Earl a PM on the off chance that he has some old stock.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys,
    I am going to be mounting the brake reservoir today and wondering where people mounted it in there car? Here is a photo of the one I am using.
    IMG_3624.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    are you going to use one or two reservoirs? are you running a cable or hydraulic clutch? many use a triple reservoir setup (2 for front/rear brakes and 1 for hydraulic clutch) and mount it to a bracket attached to the 3/4" tube just in front of the DS footbox wall. you want to make sure the top of the lid is below the 3/4" frame for hood clearance issues and that you don't place your bracket/reservoirs too far in front of the footbox to avoid issues w/ the hood struts. CNC used to make a double/triple reservoir but they went out of business. Contact Mike Forte, I think he has some aluminum billet triple reservoirs for sale. I have an unused stock FF brake fluid reservoir like in your pic if you want to run a double reservoir and want matching units. I just have the reservoir and none of the mounting brackets. FF sells the whole kit for $62. make me an offer if interested.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusis View Post
    Hi guys,
    I am going to be mounting the brake reservoir today and wondering where people mounted it in there car? Here is a photo of the one I am using.
    IMG_3624.jpg
    Most of us mount it on the 3/4 tube in front of the driver's footbox.
    Remember that the top of the reservoir must be above the master cylinders.
    Just make sure it doesn't interfere with the body or hood and you'll be fine.

https://youtu.be/_wnHDNgnNqs

Welcome Aboard From The Dark Dart Side!

16. Thanks Rusis thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just one reservoir for front and back and I am running a cable clutch. Thanks for the advice on where to place the brake reservoirs, I think I will use one for now and see if I need to upgrade later down the line. Have a good weekend

Post Thanks / Like
    Tomorrow I am going to start on the wiring harness and the dash. Any advice that you guys can give me to make the process go smoother and make the dashboard look professional?

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the wrong forum.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys,
    I am dropping the fuel injected 347 engine from Blueprint Engines today, I am wondering if I should put my exhaust manifold on before I put the engine in or is it something I can do once the engine is mounted?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusis View Post
    Hi guys,
    I am dropping the fuel injected 347 engine from Blueprint Engines today, I am wondering if I should put my exhaust manifold on before I put the engine in or is it something I can do once the engine is mounted?
    Rich tried to tell you. You're doing this wrong. This thread is a welcome thread with info, guidelines, etc. for general forum use. Not a build Q&A thread. You need to go to the Roadster forum and ask your questions by posting a new thread. That's how it works plus you'll get helpful responses.
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-09-2020 at 12:27 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have PM'd Rusis bringing his attention to the fact that he is posting in the wrong thread/sub forum. He has a build thread...

Olli

23. Thanks Joel Hauser thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

hardtop?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Jones View Post
    Hey all,

Keep in mind that the 'community section' is the place where non build related stuff is perfect for. This is for build related items.

R
    my big decision believe it or not to build a MK4 is if I can find a good hardtop for it.
    Has anyone come across one to buy new?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for setting this up!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a question that may not have been asked before. (i did search/cant find) I see the crate size for both the Base and complete Kits are the same. But what are the shipping weights??

Webmaster, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ford & Jeep Fan View Post
    I have a question that may not have been asked before. (i did search/cant find) I see the crate size for both the Base and complete Kits are the same. But what are the shipping weights??
    The crates measure 16' L x 52" H x 6'6" W, and weighs about 2,500 lbs. when fully loaded.
    Dave Lindsey
    FFR's Mad Dog

Post Thanks / Like
    New guy here from the Mitten (Michigan). Long time lurker first-ish time poster on the boards. While covid was on us all it made me realize that time with my father is shorter lived than I thought and made me re-evaluate some things. We moved back to Michigan, but since I was remote we went to Traverse City. Its a big tourist and winery area on the water. The roads up here are two lane blacktop and full of breathtaking views. I could not believe my wife's reaction when she said hell yes you can build that car! I had a 2005 SRT-4 red neon STAGE 3 that I had bought for myself as I graduated college. Had her since mile 0, but I knew if I was gonna build the dream and do it with Dad something had to give. The wife was not a fan of the neon you see, it only did one thing which was go real fast in a straight line. I sold her last winter at 20k miles and in pretty much mint condition and have been in savings miser mode ever since. I wanted to build a car that would stand and mean something many years down the road vs just what I had rolled off the showroom floor with my bank account. I cant think of a better way to have a car that one day will always remind me of the memories of him, and the good times had than building one. Every time you strap in it will be a great reminder.

I've never build something like this; but I'm pretty experienced as I have 15 years experience working in NASCAR in a multitude of roles. I can draw up just about anything from body panels to interior components and maybe even some trick suspension if needed. I worked for Hendrick Motorsports in the design engineering department for ten of them and saw how some TRUE MASTERS did things. I'd like to apply what I know and have seen to my roadster. I have a CAD system, three 3d printers, a scanner, a whole pile of tools, and anything I'm missing I'm sure I might be able to get some help from my current co-workers. We did win the 24 Hour of Le Mans this year, so they also may know a thing or two about cars.
    I'm about a year out from pulling the trigger, a few more side job's and I should be there. The plan is to get the complete kit in house and start working. I can continue to save for the coyote as I build. Is there any draw back to not having the engine there for the start of the build? Any Pro's? Love to get your thoughts.

29. Likes David Hodgkins, Chainsaw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M22_COBRA View Post
    New guy here from the Mitten (Michigan). Long time lurker first-ish time poster on the boards. While covid was on us all it made me realize that time with my father is shorter lived than I thought and made me re-evaluate some things. We moved back to Michigan, but since I was remote we went to Traverse City. Its a big tourist and winery area on the water. The roads up here are two lane blacktop and full of breathtaking views. I could not believe my wife's reaction when she said hell yes you can build that car! I had a 2005 SRT-4 red neon STAGE 3 that I had bought for myself as I graduated college. Had her since mile 0, but I knew if I was gonna build the dream and do it with Dad something had to give. The wife was not a fan of the neon you see, it only did one thing which was go real fast in a straight line. I sold her last winter at 20k miles and in pretty much mint condition and have been in savings miser mode ever since. I wanted to build a car that would stand and mean something many years down the road vs just what I had rolled off the showroom floor with my bank account. I cant think of a better way to have a car that one day will always remind me of the memories of him, and the good times had than building one. Every time you strap in it will be a great reminder.

I've never build something like this; but I'm pretty experienced as I have 15 years experience working in NASCAR in a multitude of roles. I can draw up just about anything from body panels to interior components and maybe even some trick suspension if needed. I worked for Hendrick Motorsports in the design engineering department for ten of them and saw how some TRUE MASTERS did things. I'd like to apply what I know and have seen to my roadster. I have a CAD system, three 3d printers, a scanner, a whole pile of tools, and anything I'm missing I'm sure I might be able to get some help from my current co-workers. We did win the 24 Hour of Le Mans this year, so they also may know a thing or two about cars.
    I'm about a year out from pulling the trigger, a few more side job's and I should be there. The plan is to get the complete kit in house and start working. I can continue to save for the coyote as I build. Is there any draw back to not having the engine there for the start of the build? Any Pro's? Love to get your thoughts.
    Holy smokes what an intro! It sounds like you have more than enough experience to build a killer version of the kit. And tell us more about the type of driving you will do. Have you decided on which version of suspension you are going with? There’s no problem starting the kit without the motor you can Ruffin, the fuel lines and the ecu harness can be installed later in the process.

Welcome to the forum! Something tells me I’m going to enjoy following this build!

31. Likes M22_COBRA liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12