Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Perfomance Expectations

Post Thanks / Like
    FFR is planning on a track version, and among other things, they've indicated it will include upgraded suspension and brakes. I would assume those same upgrades would be options on the other versions (such as the first-to-be-released "affordable roadster"). Therefore, you could conceivably upgrade your kit and "make it so."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    Dave in all due respect I have not found a donor impreza or wrx lower than 2500 unless the motor was blown or had major front end or suspension damage. If you or anyone can find one low cost in sorta one piece, send the link my way. I am buying a 818 kit as soon as it comes out. I have owned a wrx and a sti, Tehy are great cars, too bad I sold them. Great kit idea I love it!!!!!
    Chris, I think you must have misinterpreted something. I don't think anyone has claimed that you can buy a running donor for much less than $5k. That's the approximate number people have thrown around a bit. FFR has said they are targeting a kit price of $10k with it being possible to have a completed car for an ultimate cost of $15k if you do a bare minimum build and are wise about your parts purchases (buying cheap and/or selling off unused donor parts). i.e. spend $10k on 818 kit, buy donor for $7k, sell off everything you don't use for a few thousand. I sold a 2002 wrx sedan rolling chassis without engine, trans, diff, etc for $2600.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan78 View Post
    I sold a 2002 wrx sedan rolling chassis without engine, trans, diff, etc for $2600.
    ^ This exactly. I'm hoping to recoup ~$2K of the donor by selling off the odds and ends I don't need. If you do a total part out on the NASIOC forums I think it's doable. The question is if you want to deal with the hassle of taking everything apart and shipping it to 30 people.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen complete running WRX's for under 5K. Here's one:

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/2938194711.html

I think I'd prefer a 2.5 Impreza RS as a donor. Cheaper, simpler and more predictable power = more fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuul View Post
    ^ This exactly. I'm hoping to recoup ~$2K of the donor by selling off the odds and ends I don't need. If you do a total part out on the NASIOC forums I think it's doable. The question is if you want to deal with the hassle of taking everything apart and shipping it to 30 people.
    My figure is actually not as applicable as I first thought, I sold it with many of the parts the 818 would need - suspension, steering, and pedals. I guess for those that buy a full car for an 818 build should just sell off all the body panels and strip it to the bare chassis and sell the chassis to a recycler.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave in all due respect I have not found a donor impreza or wrx lower than 2500 unless the motor was blown or had major front end or suspension damage. If you or anyone can find one low cost in sorta one piece, send the link my way.
    who said anything about $2500 for a wrx (5K has been the only target price i have seen from FFR and as mentioned above, that would after partout of the rest of the shell), in any case if you go for earlier gen imprezas or legacys, you could easily buy one in running condition for $2500 or less...
    05 Outback XT - DD
    94 Integra GSR - Track Car
    97 Legacy Brighton - EG33 Swap Project
    03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax - Tow Rig
    97 Integra GS - Future Track Car

Post Thanks / Like
    Performance numbers for a mild build with auto trans?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophitoxaemia View Post
    Ophitoxaemia here are some rough estimates.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophitoxaemia View Post
    What!!!! No auto trannies please, that is like not cool, stop that thought, unless you have a disability and you can't shift, it is a big no no in a car like this

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I sold my doors complete for 225 a piece, all plastics to interior for another 200 and hood, fenders and deckled for 300,

I have all the parts i need from a doner except the engine and it cost 2k, but i got 1400 back selling parts in one month. I am getting a 04-06 sti engine for 3-4k and that will complete my needed parts list. So 1600-2600, plus rebuild parts, 1000, pluss 10k. Under 15k to get on road, gives me a lot off upgrade room to my total money to use of 20k
    Last edited by metalmaker12; 04-27-2012 at 12:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    What!!!! No auto trannies please, that is like not cool, stop that thought, unless you have a disability and you can't shift, it is a big no no in a car like this
    The real no-no is telling someone else how to build or how to use their car. As you even acknowledged, there are some out there who aren't even able to shift a manual transmission.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wherever possible, SAVE THE MANUALS!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave in all due respect I have not found a donor impreza or wrx lower than 2500 unless the motor was blown or had major front end or suspension damage. If you or anyone can find one low cost in sorta one piece, send the link my way. I am buying a 818 kit as soon as it comes out. I have owned a wrx and a sti, Tehy are great cars, too bad I sold them. Great kit idea I love it!!!!!

Chris Marciano from Rhode Island
    401 523-9249
    [email protected]
    search Copart and IAA, I'm sure that there are other salvage auto auction sites. I just bought an 05 WRX, 70K auction price less than $2K... shipped with tax and fees around $3K...

Damage is OK... as long as the drivetrain is intact. Perhaps you need a suspension part or two... no big deal.

I plan on a good recon and powder coating etc... I guess that it's time to make that bigger oven now too. The eastwood kit works great and free electric ovens are all over the place!

Post Thanks / Like
    Would you mind posting more info on what you bought? Maybe a link to the auction page? I see those sites all the time but the advertising usually looks suspicious. Perhaps another thread if you feel its warranted.

Post Thanks / Like
    www.copart.com

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/Search.aspx

in some states you need to use a representative to buy, many do not

I found copart from an earlier post on this forum

register, you can bid to 1K w/o a deposit for more buying power you need to deposit 10% for each 1000 incremenmt

easy to deal with them, I put a $600 deposit on my CC to allow bidding to 6K. I wanted to keep it to 5K or less. A couple lightly damaged 06, 07's sold for more than I wAS WILLING TO PAY BUT THEY WERE NOT DAMAGED MUCH. OOps bad fingers, sorry

easy to deal with them. You can follow virtual auctions live... It bids automatically up to your max bid or you can click to increment the bid

piece of cake. Now on Monday I need to pay the rest, fax title authorization etc and put my load on Uship to get it here. Uship estimates what is a good price or you can aution it... like the TV show

It's a 3200 lb lump of twisted metal... no big deal shipping it on the cheap.

you can follow stuff with the tools on the site, watch pre bidding they ID when it's going to auction etc...

For instance...

on copart, lincoln NE auction 5-1-12

ACV: $17,125 USD
    Repair Cost: $0 USD
    Title State/Type: NE CERT OF TITLE-SALVAGE
    Odometer: 38,630 ACTUAL
    Primary Damage: REAR END
    Secondary Damage:
    VIN: JF1GD79656G518159
    Body Style: SEDAN 4DR
    Color: GRAY
    Engine: 2.5L 4
    Drive: ALL WHEEL DRIVE
    Cylinders: 4
    Fuel: GAS
    Keys: YES
    Special Note: 06 wrx.jpg

it is bid to $2150 right now. 10-12 photos are avail on every lot for sale. I'm guessing this one will go well over 6K... It was my next target. The right rear is crunched pretty good and some suspension parts are bent up, the rear wheel points left and contacts the chassis. It has plenty of salvageable parts. It would be an awesome donor. I wanted an 06 - 07 but had trouble passing up the 05 for so much less. The bigger brakes and stronger torque engine are not that important on an 1800 lb build

There is a similar 07 coming up on 5-8-12 that has right front damage... It's in CA

Post Thanks / Like
    I've bought on IAA in the past with good success. I've also purchased wrecked cars on ridesafely.com. They make you jump through some hoops, and it's not as easy as eBay, but the results are worth it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Better than these numbers, are you seeing this Dave?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Kinda off topic but going with the latest convo of price. The buy back for my wrecked 2006 Wrx was $4200.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Kinda off topic but going with the latest convo of price. The buy back for my wrecked 2006 Wrx was $4200.
    not really a crazy good deal, but considering what i could see in the picture you posted in the other thread, i would still call it a good to fair price give the year and condition, how many miles on it?
    05 Outback XT - DD
    94 Integra GSR - Track Car
    97 Legacy Brighton - EG33 Swap Project
    03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax - Tow Rig
    97 Integra GS - Future Track Car

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by StatGSR View Post
    not really a crazy good deal, but considering what i could see in the picture you posted in the other thread, i would still call it a good to fair price give the year and condition, how many miles on it?
    78kmiles on chassis, 28kmiles on motor, 20k miles on transmission. Retail value of all currently installed aftermarket parts: $16k

Yeah...I'd say got a decent deal. :lol: It's not a smoking deal, but it was my car, I know the history, I know the mods, it's an 06 so it has the nicer brakes, the bigger motor, slightly stronger trans, and the only WRX with aluminum front control arms and aluminum rear toe links.

Just trying to give an upper limit of what you should pay. State Farm goes based upon the average recent cost of comparable sales at a local auction house. Looking on NASIOC, it seems that on average people paid 25% of the payout for the buyback.
    Last edited by Mechie3; 06-07-2012 at 05:45 PM.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Most on this list would love to get your car as a donor for $4200, smile and be happy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by N8Salem View Post
    Better than these numbers, are you seeing this Dave?
    how is this post relevant?

Post Thanks / Like
    Troll?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    Most on this list would love to get your car as a donor for $4200, smile and be happy
    I've been smiling like a dork for a while. Some people think it's odd considering I was just in an accident and totaled my car. haha

Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    how is this post relevant?
    Original thread title is performance expectations, so maybe it's related?
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Using the typical performance measurements what do you expect.

HP
    Weight
    0 - 60
    0 - 100
    1/4 Mile
    Top Speed
    70 - 0 Braking
    Lateral G's
    MPG

Cost for you to meet your expectations.
    Now I see why Dave isn't here with all the off topic posts and negativity.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567