Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,240 of 2016

Thread: More progress made on the body : )

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by claybags View Post
    Mike,
    Your car will be the new "benchmark" for fit, finish, and overall coolness! See you ( and THE car ) at Huntington Beach in April.

Cheers, Jeff
    Wow... Thank you Jeff. I appreciate the kind words. But in all honesty, I am really just eager to get it finished. 5 years, is long enough to wait... When the car comes back from the paint shop, it will probably be rolling straight onto a hauler to head west. It's going to be very tight, but we're still good with the schedule.

We're are really looking forward to being a part of the Huntington Beach cruise in, and meeting so many of our forum friends.

Take care, and we'll see you in HB.
    Last edited by The Stig; 05-22-2015 at 06:57 AM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mike,

Car is looking incredible !! Definitely the new standard for GTMs... Im working my buns off trying to get the cobra done so I can make it to HB! It would be awesome to be able to see you guys there!

David
    Mk4 Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?141-David-s-Mk4-Build-Thread

GTM Project Build site: http://www.gtmbuild.com

Few Cool GTM Parts: http://www.gtmbuild.com/parts.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Hey Mike,

Car is looking incredible !! Definitely the new standard for GTMs... Im working my buns off trying to get the cobra done so I can make it to HB! It would be awesome to be able to see you guys there!

David
    Thank You Dave. I really appreciate the compliments, more than you know. But to be honest, I'm really just eager to get it "finished" and on the road. I am amazed by the positive responce that this car is generating. I really had 't expected anything like this.

Pam & I are looking forward to seeing you guys as well. Hopefully there will be tome for us to get together and have dinner. I' e wated to get out there and meet our forum buddies for some time.

Man... These auto transport companies are making a mint. (Or at least they seem to be). Quotes have been 3700 to 4200 round trip, with tons of pick up & drop off concessions.

We'll get it worked out though.

Take care Buddy!
    Last edited by The Stig; 05-22-2015 at 06:57 AM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    No turning back now...

I was really surprised to see the size of the high spots in the first pass of the re-blocking process on the roof. Maybe it's just me, but these seem pretty large for a "finished roof.

The white spots are "highs" that were enough to lift the long sanding block. The "dull" areas are lows.

Looking back across from the other side... When I was there last Friday, we set the lights up on each side, and the highs were obvious. Without the light, you could see them but not quite as obvious. But the sanding block doesn't lie.

When Anthony is done, it'll be "flat". When the paint is laid back down, and we see the polished finish, we should see some nice clear and reflection lines.
    Last edited by The Stig; 05-22-2015 at 06:58 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

"Miss-Adventure" sits outside the entrance of the "Dents Charlotte" shop. It's unsettling to think that a car with only 4 miles on the odometer would need to go back into the paint shop. But here she sits...

Scratches, Roof, Rear Hatch, and the Wing are all getting worked, or RE-worked... I feel like I've have too much time, emotion, and money invested in her to not correct the things that should be corrected. I initially thought I would just have a few scratches corrected. But it really needed a bit more...

The roof has been sanded flat. It looks like a mess right now, but that was the starting point. Looks like we're getting close to the goal now. I am absolutely blown away by the size of the high spots on the roof.

It's pretty obvious by the sanding marks that the highs and lows of the wing surface were fairly extreme. It looks like ripples in a pool of water. When we shined the lights across it, is looked like cellulite on a fat bottomed girl.

The roof is in the first coat of primer. Looks like a good start. Looks like a crisp line along the roof edge.

The rough sanding of the wing is complete. Time to get the to the detail work...

Anthony says that the hatch is next in line. He'll start the trimming process to get it fitted to the car. I bought a replacement set of hinge parts, and got them cleaned and painted so they'll be ready to use on the new hatch. I can't wait to see how it fits the car.

Of all the custom parts on this car, this custom hatch by Jason Cecil (Carbon Fiber), is one that I've really looked forward to for some time: almost as much as the interior. He really went above and beyond to help me come up with a great solution to achieve flat lines and better engine heat dissipation. Thanks Jason.
    Last edited by The Stig; 05-22-2015 at 06:58 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a horror story of someone using the kit latch, then putting the car on a trailer backwards and the who back hatch coming off and breaking on top of the car while going down the road. I believe I used the C5 latch, but it is pretty ugly and was a real PITA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flickery8 View Post
    There is a horror story of someone using the kit latch, then putting the car on a trailer backwards and the who back hatch coming off and breaking on top of the car while going down the road. I believe I used the C5 latch, but it is pretty ugly and was a real PITA.
    I've heard that story also, although I can't remember who posted it. I've been a little wary of that latch ever since.

I'm looking into using a Ferrari 355 rear hatch latch. I like the design and it seems to be a little stronger.

I've also thought of using a corvette hood latch from 63-67. Similar design as the "kit" latch, but stronger.

We'll see soon.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe one of those stories was from ACMikey.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I stopped by the shop this afternoon. Tony is starting on the hatch, and getting it fitted to the car. So I took the newly painted hinges to him. The original set was bare metal. So while the car was still in the interior shop, I went ahead and ordered the new parts. I painted them "chassis black" so they won't stand out as much when you look into the engine bay. That always bothered me when I opened the hatch. Now it won't.

The scratches around the doors have been sanded and prepped for paint.

The wing and the roof have both been primed and sanded back out; and a glass smooth. The high spots have been brought down, and the low areas that surrounded the highs, have been filled with primer and sanded smooth. Now they'll be primed again, and sanded again...

Tony says that the car should be ready for paint around Wednesday, and potentially done by Friday. Sounds a "little" optimistic.

Maybe because I'm not used to having anything on this build come in AHEAD of schedule.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're almost there Mike. I think I'm about as excited to see the hatch finished as you are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carbon fiber View Post
    You're almost there Mike. I think I'm about as excited to see the hatch finished as you are.
    LOL... I know. Can you believe it? I'm looking forward to getting you some pictures that you can use. I'm really pumped about it.

Shouldn't be long now.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Well... Guess who's GTM wasn't finished today... Three cars from RK Motors came in which took priority since my car is a side job from his work with them. I'm not thrilled, but I guess I get it. But I was pretty pumped about having it finished and back in the garage tonight. Since next weekend is Easter, he says that my car should be done the week after. So 4/11 range. Time is starting to get tight, but there is still a bit of a window. If it slips beyond then, I'm going to be in a heavy time crunch.

It's right about now that I wish I had a nice Silverado LTZ, and a 28' Haulmark... In time.
    Last edited by The Stig; 05-22-2015 at 07:05 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Hang in there Mike... Its got to be frustrating.

Hope will see you guys at HB!
    Mk4 Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?141-David-s-Mk4-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like

See you at HB

It would be great to see your work of art at Huntington Beach. I'm trying to get my GTM done for that show too. I just don't want to park too close to your GTM. People would be standing on my car trying to get a better look at yours.
    I look forward to meeting you and your wife. She helped me with finding good headlight conectors for my GTM.
    See you April 25th.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Hang in there Mike... Its got to be frustrating.

Hope will see you guys at HB!
    Thanks Dave. I'm not really that frustrated. When we were there, and he told us that it would be done "on Friday", I was a little surprised that it would be done sooner that we thought. I was breathing a little easier, knowing that I would have a week or so before I had to be ready to turn it over to Reliable Carriers for the ride over. Now we're back to our narrow window.

How's the paint going on your car? Were you able to get the body back home?

Quote Originally Posted by Motohead View Post
    It would be great to see your work of art at Huntington Beach. I'm trying to get my GTM done for that show too. I just don't want to park too close to your GTM. People would be standing on my car trying to get a better look at yours.
    I look forward to meeting you and your wife. She helped me with finding good headlight connectors for my GTM.
    See you April 25th.
    Hi Bud. I really appreciate the compliments, but you're being way too kind. Believe me, your car will generate rows of on-lookers.

I think it would be way cool to be parked in a row of GTMs at HB.

Hope to see you there.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Can anyone tell me the size of the allen-head screws that are currently used on the gas filler assemblies? I thought my car would be home and I could just pull one of the wood screws out and run to fastenall to get some. They look like 8's or 10's, but I'd like to know for sure.

Apparently mine were installed using some wood screws... With nothing on the back side to hold them secure... Go figure.

So I need to replace the wood screws with actual allen-head screws, and locking nuts. I thought of making a set of backing plates, but I think that washers should be good to keep the back side of the fiberglass stable.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 03-30-2015 at 08:41 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I found my gas cap but my cap looks nothing like yours, I have a completely different style.. I saw previous posts about how the old style would come apart, I bet that has something to do with the new part.

I bet mine has a different screw. (although if you want I can go and measure them)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tanderson1 View Post
    I found my gas cap but my cap looks nothing like yours, I have a completely different style.. I saw previous posts about how the old style would come apart, I bet that has something to do with the new part.

I bet mine has a different screw. (although if you want I can go and measure them)
    When I received my kit several years ago, FFR mistakingly included the Mark IV gas caps instead of the GTM ones. The GTM body is molded for the type gas cap that Mike showed in his post. If yours is very different I'd make sure it fits the GTM and that it wasn't a mistake.

-Michael

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    They are the same as mine. They look like the old style but the main body is one piece and the center is separate. They are from Newton Equipment - Aero 300 model. The screws are #8 and the head is 12-32" wide, The total length is 20-32". (16-32" thread length) I'm betting there is a place in g-boro that you're liking less by the day. Those wood scews are plain ridiculous. Don't forget to get them in stainless steel too so they won't rust.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carbon fiber View Post
    They are the same as mine. They look like the old style but the main body is one piece and the center is separate. They are from Newton Equipment - Aero 300 model. The screws are #8 and the head is 12-32" wide, The total length is 20-32". (16-32" thread length) I'm betting there is a place in g-boro that you're liking less by the day. Those wood screws are plain ridiculous. Don't forget to get them in stainless steel too so they won't rust.
    Thanks Jason. I'll pick up the stainless steel replacements tomorrow or Tuesday. And yes, that would be a safe bet. Just when I thought I had seen it all. Unbelievable.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tanderson1 View Post

From what I understand, there were a hand full of filler assemblies where the inner and outer pieces broke apart, or separated in some way. So Factory Five replaced the ones that came apart with a single piece version that Jason mentioned in the previous post. They probably do look a little different. I thought of switching them out, but figured that since mine haven't broken or separated that I'd just hang onto them. But who knows? I may be replacing these as well before it's all said and done.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    gas cap.PNG This is the new style cap

Post Thanks / Like
    My old style one came apart so I'd go ahead seeing you have it apart and put the newer one in even though it doesn't look as nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fact5racer View Post
    My old style one came apart so I'd go ahead seeing you have it apart and put the newer one in even though it doesn't look as nice.
    Hi Gary,

What is causing these things to come apart? Is it from the fuel nozzle pushing against them when filling up with gas? Or do they just break apart over time?

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_3074.JPG IMG_2537.JPG
    The filler cap was meant to have a backing plate to bolt onto. The right one is the old style. The caps look to be silver soldered together and when you stick the fuel filler in, it just breaks away. In the picture I made a plate that would hold the bottom to the top and sandwich them to the fiberglass. I also had to make a gasket as a filler. This worked good but then my painter decided to sand the top of one to contour the body. I had to buy 2 of the new styles. They are one piece construction and they do look better than the old ones.
    Last edited by Edgeman; 03-30-2015 at 03:00 PM.
    GTM #370
    Car was completed and I have SOLD my car
    http://edgemansgtm.weebly.com/index.html
    Doing what you like is freedom - liking what you do is happiness
    later,
    Doug

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mine are like the ones in Mikes pics. Mine are for sure a one piece main body. You can pull one out and look at it, I don't think you need to replace them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Attachment 40084 IMG_2517.JPG IMG_2519.JPG

This is the old style I received, different for sure.
    Last edited by Edgeman; 03-30-2015 at 03:05 PM.
    GTM #370
    Car was completed and I have SOLD my car
    http://edgemansgtm.weebly.com/index.html
    Doing what you like is freedom - liking what you do is happiness
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    Attachment 40084 IMG_2517.JPG IMG_2519.JPG

This is the old style I received, different for sure.
    Now I have visual of what the problem was, and why. My filler assemblies are one piece, so I think I'll be Ok for now. I'll make the switch later, if I have to.

Thanks for posting these pictures! Much appreciated.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 04-02-2015 at 07:29 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been looking around for a tank that I can use as an overflow for the radiator. I have a small "bottle" tank on it now, but it really doesn't fit the space very well. It forces the connecting hose to the bottom of the radiator, and then back up to the top where it connects to the over flow spout. I've been trying to get the air out of the system for a while, and I figured that I would go ahead and use the corvette overflow, and be done with it. This would give me a port on each end of the system to purge the air. 16 lb caps on each end.

I found an aluminum tank from Canton Racing Products that is a direct replacement for the C5 tank.

I'm thinking of having it powder-coated coy-black to match the wiper fluid, and hydraulic lift tanks. I can do that and have them back before the car is done at the paint shop...

Connect the radiator overflow to the top port. (Large spout). Then connect the filler neck to the radiator. (Small spout).

I'll need to connect the heater lines to the lower connector.

Obviously, the tank bolts to the tabs on the GTM frame rail, just as the original C5 tank does. I need to make a brace that bolts to the lower rail, and attaches to the support tab on the bottom of the tank.

If anyone else is interested, here are the numbers.

Canton Part number:
    80-225 - ALUMINUM EXPANSION/FILL TANK `97-`04 CORVETTE (80-225): $228.00
    This C-5 ‘97-`04 Corvette coolant expansion / fill tank features a billet radiator style neck, which accepts stock cap or our part #81-016 pressure cap.
    https://www.cantonracingproducts.com...7-04-CORVETTE/

Summit Racing also sells it for $183.97 (I like to save money also).
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ctr-80-225/overview/
    Last edited by The Stig; 04-01-2015 at 08:49 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I stopped by the paint shop today. I was told to expect the car to be finished today or tomorrow. But the schedule was changed a little, and now it's going to be next weekend.

So with that in mind, I thought I would post a few pictures of the hatch being fitted to the car. It's very rough at this point. The edges have been trimmed little by little, until the hatch fit into the body. There is still a bit of work to be done to get the edges lined up with the body. Nothing major, just a couple of adjustments and a little "persuasion" of the upper and lower panels to get them to sit down into the body flush.

The hinges have been installed and are working fine. I'm using the "Gen-2 GTM" latch. But the bracket doesn't work with the Gen-1 GTM. So I'm having a bracket made that will support the latch solidly.

The Diffuser and Rear Hatch carbon Fiber cover have been sprayed with a couple of coats of "House of Kolor" clear, made specifically for carbon fiber panels. Even before they've been wet sanded and polished, they looked pretty nice. The Splitter & rocker extensions are next.

The hatch will be "slotted" to allow the wing supports to extend through. As well, when the hatch is adjusted to sit down into the body a little more, we'll probably end up needing to build up the leading edge to match the rear roof line.

When you look through these pictures, what comes to mind? My window for making the Huntington Beach Cruise-in seems to be closing on me...

Not thrilled, but what do you do? I suppose I just keep going through my to-do list.

The coolant system is going to be pressure purged to remove any air pocket(s). If I still see the water temps trying to overheat, I'll install the C5 Tank.

Install the Wiper Arm, Fluid Tank, and Wiper Motor.
    Replace the upper control arms, and re-align the front wheels.
    Replace the hydraulic reservoir for the RamLift system.
    Bleed the RamLift lines and lift pucks.
    Reinstall the diffuser.
    Register the car. Get the title & tag. (Personalized Plate)
    Etc., Etc., Etc.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 04-09-2015 at 09:42 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,
    For the cruse I would nix the suspension mods if time gets tight.
    Its a show day not a go day.
    Get a temp tag for 28 days, don't go through the additional drama of a full rego.
    Cheers,
    Dave

GTM # 294 Build Start Date 10/12/2009,
    2000 C5 Donor, LS-1 Twin Turbo, AC/Heat, G50-20.02 6 speed, Brandwood Cable shifter
    Build site. http://s679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/dfraser/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser D View Post
    Mike,
    For the cruse I would nix the suspension mods if time gets tight.
    Its a show day not a go day.
    Get a temp tag for 28 days, don't go through the additional drama of a full rego.
    Hi Dave,

The things that I listed are just things that I'm going to do here and there AFTER I "finish" the car.

Installing the Wiper system and RamLIft Hydraulic reservoir, are the only things that I need to finish it up and get it titled.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,

Seems like the guy is giving you the run-around. When did last tell you it would be ready today or tomorrow? If he was sincere about it, he would be MUCH farther along than he is right now. Is he blending or doing a full re-paint?

Im not sure I would be so nice. Tell him you have allot of people watching your thread and some of them like me are getting pissed at the way you are being treated. You dont have to be the jerk, I will be for ya . If he doesnt get his act together and deliver I will make it my mission to let people know he cant be relied on and steer clear!

Are you guys still heading this way if the car isnt done, or are you going to pass on it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike you asked "When you look through these pictures, what comes to mind?"

For me your guy should of started off with the most difficult part to work with for proper fit, and that would have be the hatch. After that is correctly installed and working, then he could after the wavy roof, wing, and the hatch all in one fell swoop.

If I remember correctly didn’t you have some imperfections on the front end to you wanted taken care of? If so prepare for a possible all over paint job.

JMHO

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,

Seems like the guy is giving you the run-around. When did last tell you it would be ready today or tomorrow? If he was sincere about it, he would be MUCH farther along than he is right now. Is he blending or doing a full re-paint?

I'm not sure I would be so nice. Tell him you have allot of people watching your thread and some of them like me are getting pissed at the way you are being treated. You don't have to be the jerk, I will be for ya . If he doesn't get his act together and deliver I will make it my mission to let people know he cant be relied on and steer clear!

Are you guys still heading this way if the car isn't done, or are you going to pass on it?
    Hi Dave,

Thank you. You (and Gary Cheney) have been in my corner ever since I started this project, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. Pam says that she knows that you must be worn out by now...

Once I committed to building this car, the first actual parts that I bought for it, were the billet seat mount brackets that you made. We didn't end up using them, because we didn't use those seats. So I still have them outside on my work bench.

I guess from the outside looking in, it does seem like more of the same stuff. Tony seems sincere when he says that the car will be done by the date he mentions, but then he'll get two or three cars from RK Motors or Richard Petty, and then my car gets put on hold until he can move them back out. In a way I get it, since these companies help to provide the main income for his shop, and they feed him a constant flow of business. As a result, he doesn't have to advertise, and he is turning business away. (I was actually referred to him BY RK Motors). But on the other hand, when I'm told to expect the car to be done on a certain date, I'm expecting it to be done on that date, and Pam & I start making our plans around being available when it is delivered. (He actually picked it up, and will be delivering it back to me).

I don't know if you know Bill Philips (Rumbles) from the Factory Five forum. He built a really nice 33 Hot Rod a couple years back. Bill is in the process of building an SLC from Race Car Replicas, and had his car in Tony's shop before mine was brought in. (It was sort of odd that these two cars were in the same interior shop, and then went straight to the same paint shop...) Anyway, his car had been there for 2 or 3 weeks before mine, and yet from all appearances, mine was started first. That actually made me a little uncomfortable, seeing that Bill and I are friends. But then again I don't make the work schedule there, so it was never in my control. Maybe it was a case that his car was having total body and paint done, and mine was only having spot work done. I do know that Bill has been up there every other day, sanding out the body and helping to prep it. (He's always been very "hands-on", and I can't say that I blame him.)

I haven't really felt as though I'm getting the run-around, as much as just being 2nd or 3rd in line. In all honesty, he did tell me that these companies were his main source of work, and that he couldn't afford to interrupt that flow. They use him because he can turn cars around fairly quickly for them. (If you've never heard of them before, you should check them out. RK Motors of Charlotte. RK, is Ron Kaufman, global investment company as well as part owner of Michael Waltrip Racing (NASCAR). They sell very high end classics, muscle, and collector cars internationally.)

Yes, he is blending the paint, and then re-clearing. He quoted me a price to correct the flaws in the body and repaint the whole car. It was less than 1/2 of what I was charged for body and paint originally. But I didn't want to go that route since I only went in to have some scratches fixed. However, when I saw that wing, and the roof of the car under the "sun" lights, I couldn't leave them the way they were. I got angry at the fact that I had to re-do work that I had already paid quite a lot to have done. Then I told him to go ahead and correct it.

All in all, I think Tony's doing a really good job getting everything as it should have been originally, and at a fair price for the level of quality. My greatest concern is around the blended areas. Pearl paint is not easy to blend in the best of circumstances. But the proof will be in the clarity and shine of the paint. I've seen his work, and what I saw was really nice.

My only frustration comes from being told to expect the car back on a certain date and then find out on that date that it isn't near ready. In the meantime, my drop-dead date has just been blown through.

Am I happy about it? No, not so much. But I found out that when I get pissed and then go off on people, (especially before they finish work that I'm paying for), that I get bent over the table and end up doing the work again; as I am doing right now. Finding that wood screws were used by a company that I paid more than $40,000.00 to (and that attempted to charge me $60,000.00 for body paint and wiring), told me all that I needed to know in regard to how much trust I should extend. So I've had to learn to try and keep everything in check until delivery and then go from there. That may be the wrong approach; and it certainly goes against my better judgement, but again... What do you do?

Pam said something that got my attention yesterday... She said "You know, if you handled yourself as a consultant, the way that some of these car people run their businesses, you wouldn't be in business very long. But it seems that Honesty and Integrity as well as the generic rules of business don't seem to apply to them."

I told her that on the surface, she's absolutely correct. But in the world of car repair, they seem to have their own rules that people have no choice but to deal with. And in their eyes that see nothing wrong with how they treat their "customers". Where they are concerned, the only thing that you can hope, is that you get the result and the quality of work that you expect and that you've paid for.

So far, that has happened with only three people (companies) in my build experience: Shane Vacek, Lou Smith, and Steve Kurzman.
    - Shane has ALWAYS been extremely professional and has always gone the extra mile for me, even though I'm just buying parts from him.
    - Lou Smith got my suspension dialed in very quickly, and dead on as far as the possible numbers that we were trying to achieve. He'll definitely be doing the work when I switch the upper control arms.
    - Steve Kurzman: The work that Steve did with my interior was nothing short of phenomenal in my oppinion. He far exceeded my expectations. I would recommend Steve to anyone. Period.

Otherwise I've been treated like the proverbial mushroom, regardless of the amount of money spent.

Making this trip to Huntington Beach has really been very important to me. It has been one of my "GTM - bucket list items" since I started the project. I've been looking forward to having finished my car to be best of my ability, and taking part in THE show that Factory Five considers one of their most special. I figured that of all the shows that I could take my car to, this would be one of the coolest and most gratifying. And that after a 5+ year build, we'd splurge and go all out... But this is what has happened to me every time I've put a deadline on this build. I haven't been able to depend on too many other's schedules to match mine in a way that allows me to plan. Even 6 months out...

If the car is not finished, (and I don't really see how it can be now), we'll probably not go out for the HB show, and turn my focus towards being at the Open House in June. Maybe. We'll see.

Sorry for the Rant. I'm just sort of bummed out.

One of the things that I have to keep reminding myself, is that even though this as been a long term project, it is still my first project. And as such, I am still making contacts and learning who to use, in the Charlotte area and elsewhere, and who not to. I have a strong feeling that when I build the next car, things will go a little differently.

I am also really considering writing a book about this experience... as personal therapy as well as a heads-up sort of read for people who might be thinking of taking on a project like this. I feel that I may be able to add to what has already been written by many others. If it helps a few people that would be cool.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 05-06-2015 at 08:59 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL... I didn't realize what a rant that was until I hit the Post button, and i saw this "Constitution" appear...

Sorry guys.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Ron,

I had a scratch that was put on the nose by a flat bed operator that brought it home from the suspension shop, who denied any knowledge of how it could have happened. Tony is working it.

There were also some scrapes that happened from a guy (Corty Stone, a factory five Mk-III owner) that I sent it to, in order to correct the wiring mess that I had paid for once before. (Same guy that left it sitting outside in the rain). Funny thing is that after I paid for that work to be done the second time, it was still a mess. Those were light scrapes in the clear coat that will be buffed out in the final cut & polish.

In all reality, I probably should have just had him do the whole car. But I just couldn't wrap my head around having to pay to do the whole thing over again. I'll let him fix the scratches, blend the paint, and re-clear it, and see where we are at that point.

Thanks,

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope the lack of being included in the "honest people" category is a slip in memory? I think we have worked together on a couple of issues on your GTM and I hope you have the opinion that I conducted myself courteously and professionally. If you feel I didn't, that's fine too, post it up.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    I hope the lack of being included in the "honest people" category is a slip in memory? I think we have worked together on a couple of issues on your GTM and I hope you have the opinion that I conducted myself courteously and professionally. If you feel I didn't, that's fine too, post it up.
    LOL... I'm sorry Mike.. You're right. You have been a huge help to me as well. In many different areas, but especially in trying to get this cooling system sorted out. I've certainly recommended you to anyone who were need of GTM relevant advice as well as parts to solve known issues with the car. Your "What you need" list of parts, truly are What we need!

Sorry for the omission Buddy!

I should probably also note that Ted Harrison (Quick Racing Products), and Russ Thompson (under body skid kit) are also excellent vendors to the people on the two Factory Five forums. Both have been a huge assets to me, without question.

I'm sure that there may be others out there that I am probably leaving out. My short term memory isn't what it once was...

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 05-06-2015 at 09:03 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,
    I sure sympathize with you on the issues. It's the main reason I quit racing years ago. People never did what they were paid for re engine building etc. No integrity as you say. Just take your $$ and tell tales.
    Please, please, please do HB. Your car is the main reason I'm making the trip over from South. AZ. But I'll understand.
    Jeff
    GTM 422, LS6, cam, heads, Mendeola trans

Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast