Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,280 of 2016

Thread: More progress made on the body : )

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope I'm on the short list too... Looks like the hatch is going ok. I kept it as low of a profile as I could in the front where it meets the roof. Is it lining up easily? I'm assuming there were no clearance problems with anything underneath? Let me know, the feedback is greatly appreciated. Looking forward to the finished pics. It will really suck if you don't make it to HB, but if the car is finished properly it'll be worth it.
    Last edited by carbon fiber; 04-10-2015 at 06:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    LOL... I didn't realize what a rant that was until I hit the Post button, and i saw this "Constitution" appear...

Sorry guys.

Mike
    Mike,

Just got to read your post... Man that wasnt a rant... Its everything I expect from you. Measured, insightful and truthful. If you dont make it, I can see that and totally understand how that goes. I have no idea why the cobra has taken me as long as it has so totally get how things stretch out. IMHO, I honestly agree about ranting to the business ... as it doesnt get much done(despite the anger in my post... Im just pissed about how you are being treated, you dont deserve it.) However, I do think there are ways you can move things along being a bit more strategic. We can chat on the phone if you like.

You're car is the epitome of the FFR story and then some. To tackle a GTM as your first build and first major car project approaches the insane... and I mean it in the most positive way. You execution and outcome thus far is nothing short of outstanding. The car is just an amazing piece and I truly mean that and speaks volumes of you and your supportive wife Pam.

We should talk sometime soon to catch up.

David
    Mk4 Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?141-David-s-Mk4-Build-Thread

GTM Project Build site: http://www.gtmbuild.com

Few Cool GTM Parts: http://www.gtmbuild.com/parts.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL... I'm sorry my Mike.. You're right. You have been a huge help to me as well. In many different areas, but especially in trying to get this cooling system sorted out. I've certainly recommended you to anyone who were need of GTM relevant advice as well as parts to solve known issues with the car. Your "What you need" list of parts, truly are What we need!

Sorry for the omission Buddy!

I should probably also note that Ted Harrison (Quick Racing Products), and Russ Thompson (under body skid kit) are also excellent vendors to the people on the two Factory Five forums. Both have been a huge assets to me, without question.

I'm sure that there may be others out there that I am probably leaving out. My short term memory isn't what it once was...

Mike
    Oh not to pile on... but come on Mike I sold you a few parts, at least ad me to the list of good guys I now know you didnt use them, but... hahaha... Really really I kid...

I think your idea of just working towards your goal of finishing the car as it comes is a good one. It really helps to keep it more fun and less of a chore.

David
    Mk4 Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?141-David-s-Mk4-Build-Thread

GTM Project Build site: http://www.gtmbuild.com

Few Cool GTM Parts: http://www.gtmbuild.com/parts.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Oh not to pile on... but come on Mike I sold you a few parts, at least ad me to the list of good guys I now know you didnt use them, but... hahaha... Really really I kid...

I think your idea of just working towards your goal of finishing the car as it comes is a good one. It really helps to keep it more fun and less of a chore.

David

LOL!!! Thanks David...
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Man I hope you get to HB or all my strategy is out the window. I knew I couldn't beat you in quality so my plan was to keep up you with quantity by bringing two GTMs. :-)
    All kidding aside I really look forward to meeting you in person. Seeing your car in person would be icing on the cake.
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sk7500 View Post
    Man I hope you get to HB or all my strategy is out the window. I knew I couldn't beat you in quality so my plan was to keep up you with quantity by bringing two GTMs. :-)
    All kidding aside I really look forward to meeting you in person. Seeing your car in person would be icing on the cake.
    Steve
    Steve, I'm really looking forward to meeting you soon as well. I thought we had it done this time.

But, I'm afraid it will have to happen a little later. Huntington Beach just isn't possible now.

It's now official. I guess I need to call and cancel my Hotel reservation.

I stopped by the shop expecting to at least see that the car had been sprayed. But it hasn't.

I guess now I have a couple of car shows to focus on and look forward to for the year. Pam and I are going to try to be at the Factory Five open house, and then we'll see what the rest of the year brings.

The hatch has been sanded glass smooth. The section that joins the custom insert that Jason made transitions perfectly to the original hatch. The upper section of this hatch comes to the height of the body surface. So now it lines up with the body as it should. The polycarbonate window fits perfectly.

The slots for the wing stands have been cut in to leave a consistent gap around the brackets and room to open and close the hatch. As well, the edges on the upper sides of the hatch have been contoured a little to line up with the body much better.

Looks nice doesn't it?

By the way, for all you Good Guys fans, the car in the Background is the "Boss Snake" that was built by RPM-Hot Rods. This was the Good Guys giveaway car a couple of years back. The new owner wants it painted. So here it is...

The splitter and rockers still need to be removed and sprayed with clear and polished out...
    Last edited by The Stig; 05-22-2015 at 06:56 AM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    GTM #0081

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear it won't be at HB, but it looks like it's being finished properly. That's what matters most in the end.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carbon fiber View Post
    Sorry to hear it won't be at HB, but it looks like it's being finished properly. That's what matters most in the end.
    Hi Jason. I agree! With the custom touches that we've come up with along the way, such as you're hatch solution, this car is going look pretty cool.

Thanks Buddy!
    Last edited by The Stig; 05-22-2015 at 06:55 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike sorry to hear Miss Adventure is not going to make it to HB. FWIW you and Pam should go out to the show anyway and hang with some of your great friends and have a blast. Bet you Dave Borden would like a hand in putting the final touches on his MKIV.

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Presto51 View Post
    Mike sorry to hear Miss Adventure is not going to make it to HB. FWIW you and Pam should go out to the show anyway and hang with some of your great friends and have a blast. Bet you Dave Borden would like a hand in putting the final touches on his MKIV.

Ron
    Ron,

Nothing would make me happier than to be able to help Dave finish up, if for no other reason than to return the favor, and hang out with my friend. But the plan was initiated on getting the car out there for Huntington Beach, and have that be the milestone marker for the completion of my build. The expense of doing so was going to be hefty, but justifiable "in my mind".

I still plan to take the car to the west coast, and make a run down the PCH. And I truly hope to be able to meet up with all the people that I've "met" online along the course of this build. It will just happen later, and after it's finished, and the dust settles a little. Maybe then, if (when) I get a rock chip or two, it won't aggravate me as much...

Above all else, I want to be able to shake the hands of those who have helped me so much, as well as put faces to the names.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mike,

How are you doing? Any progress?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikespms View Post
    Hey Mike,

How are you doing? Any progress?
    Hi Mike. Funny that you should ask...

Tony texted yesterday to mess with me about the paint code... He sent a note saying "Just confirming that 8U1 is the correct code for your paint..." So I'm thinking that he's serious, and I knew that wasn't right. So I stopped what I was doing at work and looked up the paint code, just to double check. Sure enough, 8P4 is the code for my paint. So I sent that to him hoping that he hadn't already mixed the other... Then he replied back saying, "LOL... You still want the Hot Pink racing stripes right?" Then I knew that he was screwing around with me...

Maybe I'm just in a $hitty mood due to missing the Huntington Beach show, but I'm really not in the mood to be jerked around about the car right now.

I guess he could tell that the humor wasn't working, and replied that the rear hatch was getting it's final coat of primer, and would be ready for paint. That means that everything is ready for paint. We had discussed that everything should be sprayed at the same time for consistency.

So, my assumption is that the car will be sprayed today or tomorrow. I plan to drive up tomorrow morning to see what progress has been made.

I'll post a couple of pictures if there is anything new to show.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I drove up to the paint shop to check on the progress of the car. I had hoped to see that the car had been sprayed. But it hasn't.

It turns out that Tony wasn't kidding when he sent the paint code 8U1 for confirmation. When he started the matching process, the paint on my car was nowhere close to the 8P4 code that I was told was sprayed onto my car originally. And for whatever reason, I'm not surprised.

I asked him what the paint codes out to, and he said it's "Dark Blue Pearl". Not Lexus Indigo Ink Pearl 8P4 that I paid to have sprayed onto my car.

I told him to match the color that is on my car, and then make sure that I have the correct code; just in case.

We placed the wing on the stands in order to get a feel for the spacing between the fenders and the ends. When everything is set, the ends of the wing will be parallel with the Fenders. From what I've "heard", the car looks great when the hatch and the wing are in place. The gaps are nice and even, and everything now fits as it should.

I had the Splitter and the Rocker Extensions sprayed with three coats of House of Kolor clear for Carbon Fiber. It really gives a ton a depth, and it hasn't been wet sanded and buffed out yet. (Sorry the picture came out a little fuzzy).

The Roof, Hatch, and Wing are ready to be painted. When I run my hand over them, they feel like silk. Perfectly smooth.

The underside of the hatch is getting some attention. Tony added structural foam into the voids where the insert was bonded to the original hatch. That way when it is painted, where the two parts meet will transition smoothly.

Last edited by The Stig; 05-02-2015 at 07:44 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

The diffuser is aparently just a big sponge. It soaks in a ton of clear. As you can see there were still a few spots that have to be brought up. After it dries, it'll be sand flat again, and then sprayed one or two more times.

It's still a little rough, but it's getting there. Six coats of clear have been applied. Two or three more coats should get it to the point that it gets to a nice smooth finish. I didn't realize what an effort it would be to clear this piece. I just knew that leaving it raw probably wasn't going to be good for it in the long run. At least now it will be sealed, and have bit more UV protection.
    Last edited by The Stig; 05-02-2015 at 08:04 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Mike,

Just got to read your post... Man that wasnt a rant... Its everything I expect from you. Measured, insightful and truthful. If you dont make it, I can see that and totally understand how that goes. I have no idea why the cobra has taken me as long as it has so totally get how things stretch out. IMHO, I honestly agree about ranting to the business ... as it doesnt get much done(despite the anger in my post... Im just pissed about how you are being treated, you dont deserve it.) However, I do think there are ways you can move things along being a bit more strategic. We can chat on the phone if you like.

You're car is the epitome of the FFR story and then some. To tackle a GTM as your first build and first major car project approaches the insane... and I mean it in the most positive way. You execution and outcome thus far is nothing short of outstanding. The car is just an amazing piece and I truly mean that and speaks volumes of you and your supportive wife Pam.

We should talk sometime soon to catch up.

David
    David,

I was reading back through the pages of this thread, and realized that you has posted a response to my "Build Constitution", and I had to reply back to say thanks!

I've never really been one to back away from a challenge; especially when I was at least somewhat confident that I could figure it out and work through it. I think that THE major thing that helped me more than anything else, has been the support from my friends here on this and other forums. You guys have kept me headed in the right direction. (Still do...)

I truly appreciate the encouragement and the awesome compliments that you've sent my way here in this post as well as throughout the course of my build. But I've honestly just been trying to keep up with you and so many other awesome builders on this forum.

Thank you Dave!
    Last edited by The Stig; 05-22-2015 at 06:54 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    We headed south to see my youngest daughter Graduate from college. She graduated Magna Cum Laude, and I'm very proud of her. After that we spent a couple of days with my Mom during the Mother's Day weekend. It was very busy, lots of driving back and forth, but very nice.

When I got home, I found an unexpected bonus waiting for me in the mail. Sally (Factory Five) sent the registration packet that I would have used if I had been able to attend the Huntington Beach Cruise-In.

Really cool lanyard, Registration Card for the GTM, FFR Coozie, and a Way Cool HB T-Shirt.

I figured that would have been given to someone at the show who was able to take my slot.

A nice end to an very nice weekend. Thanks for sending it out Sally! Much appreciated.

Also....

The GTM is finally in the paint booth! But from what I understand, it's only getting the roof sprayed today.

Last edited by The Stig; 05-22-2015 at 06:54 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Change of Plans...

The other night I was talking to my Uncle about the GTM. (By the way, I think I've settled on a name for her that makes sense to me... Pandora). Pam mentioned what Gary Cheney said to me a few months back; that "if I had just gone ahead and bought the Veyron, I'd have money left over"... It still makes me laugh every time I say it. I guess because sometimes it seems true. Anyway, hearing her say that (again) made me start going over everything past and present that has to do with this build.

When I brought the car into the shop, I had planned to have five or six scratches corrected, have the new rear hatch prepped & blocked, and have the wing re-worked, and then have the paint matched and those corrected areas re-sprayed and blended. But in the back of my head, I also knew that there were three other areas that needed to be corrected as well; but I thought I would defer them and come back to them at a later date (winter).

The more I thought about it, the more sense it made to ask for an estimate on reworking the doors, nose, and Front/Rear quarters. Doing this means that basically means that the whole body will be re-worked and done the way it should have been done the first time.

I figured that I would rather go ahead and just be done with any bodywork and paint, now, and not have to come back later and match paint again. So, knowing that the car was in the paint booth being taped up, I called and asked Tony to hold off on paint until the rest of the body has been addressed.

So that's the direction that I've asked Tony to follow. When he's finished, "Pandora" will be done, and I won't have to worry about taking her back in for phase II or III.

There are a few waves in the upper and lower areas of the nose, that will be corrected. When it's done, the highs and lows will be sanded and filled, and then re-blocked flat to get it ready to be re-painted. The same with the doors and upper rear fender surfaces.

Here is a picture of the new hatch on the car. It is not bolted onto the hinges; it's just laying in place on the car. The rear pillars are going to be sanded out, and re-blocked, to get rid of some wave that I saw (both sides) when we went over the car with the sun lamp.

The front and rear quarters are going to be sanded, re-blocked, re-primed, and re-blocked to make them as flat as they can be.

The gaps are pretty nice, but there may be some tweaking at the top, in order to make sure that the curve of the roof is matched by the leading edge of the hatch. (This was already going to be done: I just interrupted the flow of Tony's schedule). The highs and lows on the hatch are dead flat now.

The fender edges next to the hatch are going to be worked to make sure that they flow from one to the other without any difference in height. They're pretty close, but he'll finish it out to make sure that the reflection lines don't get all goofy again.

I really like the way this hatch fits into the body hatch opening. The way the glass was positioned on my original hatch was very distracting to me. This design really makes a smooth transition from hatch to body. There have been a few guys here have reworked the original hatch and made them fit and look really nice. I wrestled with the thought of doing that also. But, in addition to the look and fit, I was also trying to come up with a way to vent heat when the car is sitting still, as well as while it's in motion. I think we got pretty close.

The door gaps will be corrected. The rear door gap in this picture is exaggerated a little because the door isn't completely closed. The front & rear door pillars are going to be cut & removed. The door itself will then be fitted as it should be, in order to close correctly. Then the pillars will be re-fabbed to fit correctly against the door seals, and line up with the lines of the car as it was meant to. They'll also be given some steel bracing to give them much more strength. The gaps at the rear edge of the door will then be corrected by adding material back in, and creating a straight, even 3/16" gap, that looks like it should. Window and Door Seals will then actually do their jobs and seal the car.

When she's finished... we'll see what happens. At that time, the name Pandora shouldn't fit any longer because I figure that I will have pretty much gone back through everything for the second or third time. But it will sere as a reminder of things that I continue to learn throughout this process.

The result of all of this will be a solid build that has been done right. I have to say that I'm feeling really good about Pandora when she's finished. Hell, I feel good about her now.

As usual, I'll post pictures and notes on the progress for anyone who might be interested.

I was thinking about trying to make it to the Factory-Five open House in June, but at this point it's more important to me to finish her out the way she deserves to be done. Then we'll schedule some trips here and there. From what I'm being told, it will probably be done in late July or early August.

Fun Fun Fun...
    Last edited by The Stig; 05-24-2015 at 04:39 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    You and Pam should fly up to my house for a three day weekend and take GTM out for the three days. I'm serious! Come to the open house and drive mine to the factory and then enjoy it on Sunday too.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are going to be so glad you are taking these steps. You'll be amazed at how much better the car comes out the second time. Painting the body on a stand the first time is the best way to assure your frame stays clean and paint gets everywhere it should on the body. But there is no better way to get all the ripples and fits as nice as when it's been bolted the the sound foundation of the chassis. The way you need to think about it is the only thing wasted is the paint. However the paint showed you things pretty hard to see in primer. So think of it as a guide coat. Whether you do the additional body work now or it was done before paint doesn't matter it still needed to be done. We are building a car to compete at the Riddler in 2017. We will be using your exact strategy.
    The only dud is that there's nothing on the road that will make your car look any better. It would have been awesome if you could have put some miles on your beast and got some of the rock chips under you belt before repainting. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fact5racer View Post
    You and Pam should fly up to my house for a three day weekend and take GTM out for the three days. I'm serious! Come to the open house and drive mine to the factory and then enjoy it on Sunday too.
    Hi Gary! That sounds like fun. But when we decided not to go up to Wareham next weekend, I made reservations to spend a long weekend in cottage on the harbor in Charleston. We both need time to decompress from our jobs, and do nothing. We'll come up there before long though. And when we do, you can be sure that we'll in touch.

Enjoy the day at the Open House!

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sk7500 View Post
    You are going to be so glad you are taking these steps. You'll be amazed at how much better the car comes out the second time. Painting the body on a stand the first time is the best way to assure your frame stays clean and paint gets everywhere it should on the body. But there is no better way to get all the ripples and fits as nice as when it's been bolted the the sound foundation of the chassis. The way you need to think about it is the only thing wasted is the paint. However the paint showed you things pretty hard to see in primer. So think of it as a guide coat. Whether you do the additional body work now or it was done before paint doesn't matter it still needed to be done. We are building a car to compete at the Riddler in 2017. We will be using your exact strategy.
    The only dud is that there's nothing on the road that will make your car look any better. It would have been awesome if you could have put some miles on your beast and got some of the rock chips under you belt before repainting. :-)
    Dude... The Riddler huh? That's a build that I would LOVE to see.

The way that you've laid this out, is pretty much the way I've been looking at it, once I resigned myself to the fact that not only did it need to be done, but that I was definitely going to have it done. And you're right; there is a lot of flex in these bodies that occurs when they are mounted, that may or may not have been there when the body was sitting on the stands being painted.

So for the waves that I am seeing in the large flat panels and the rear roof posts leading to the rear fenders, I will attribute to that. But there are divots and many highs and lows, in the fender curves/surfaces, (both convex & concave) that look like they were done with a palm sander as opposed to a long sanding pad as would normally be the case.

I also paid to have a specific Lexus paint color applied, that wasn't. At least that's not what came up when the paint was matched. Not even close. I felt like an idiot. But at this point, that's all in the past, and i just want to move forward in a positive way that gets this project completed to the best of my ability.

I'm sure that there are other things that could be done to make it nicer, but at some point I have to draw a line in the sand, call it done, and enjoy it. This paint shop is the last shop that she will spend any considerable amount of time in.

The fact that you say that you're following my strategy is sort of funny. I did have a build plan, and a build strategy for Pandora. But believe me when I tell you that doing the most major, and most expensive parts of the build 2 and/or 3 times, was not part of it.

But at the end of the day, this car will be exactly what I had planned for it to be, and it will be built to the level that I have hoped to achieve.

I think that Gene (FastThings) said it best when he said that "the GTM is a car that MAKES you EARN it".

Thanks for your kinds words and support. I really appreciate it.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 06-06-2015 at 05:37 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    If it makes you feel better Mike, As you know, now that I am wrapping up my 818R, and I have had my GTM-x up for sale, In fact I thought it was sold last fall and bought a 2011 Camaro for my "other" street car, but that deal fell through, so I now have all three now. I recently put he GTM up for sale again and got an offer that I considered. I told the possible buyer to give me the weekend to think about it. I have been sooooo busy lately that I don't even have time to drive my gtm to the local car show myself last weekend so my detailer takes it to shows for me because I am too busy. But on Saturday afternoon I went to his shop after the show and my gtm was there along with two of his friends which one has a GTR and the other has a lambo and the owner of the lambo told me they went for a cruise down the beach after the show and they complained to me that my GTM gets all the attention and that they might as well be driving a ford focus! So then I told Dave to follow me to my house to return my GTM and I would give him a ride back to his shop; Well Mike, that made my decision so easy as to whether to sell it or not! Seeing that car in the rear view mirror following me, basically just hovering down the road made that decision for me to keep it as clear as day. What I need now to do is to figure out a way to be able to spend more time in it. Also I need to find the time to photograph the camaro and put it on ebay
    Last edited by fact5racer; 06-05-2015 at 10:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can hardly wait to see the finished Pandora. This is an incredible build.
    She's sleek ,sexy, fast, and one of a kind. what else could a car person want? Congratulations for your perseverance. It is a beautiful work of art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JL1958 View Post
    I can hardly wait to see the finished Pandora. This is an incredible build.
    She's sleek ,sexy, fast, and one of a kind. what else could a car person want? Congratulations for your perseverance. It is a beautiful work of art.
    Thank you JL. I appreciate the encouraging words. She's making me work for it, but we're going to get there.

Mike.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fact5racer View Post
    If it makes you feel better Mike, As you know, now that I am wrapping up my 818R, and I have had my GTM-x up for sale, In fact I thought it was sold last fall and bought a 2011 Camaro for my "other" street car, but that deal fell through, so I now have all three now. I recently put he GTM up for sale again and got an offer that I considered. I told the possible buyer to give me the weekend to think about it. I have been sooooo busy lately that I don't even have time to drive my gtm to the local car show myself last weekend so my detailer takes it to shows for me because I am too busy. But on Saturday afternoon I went to his shop after the show and my gtm was there along with two of his friends which one has a GTR and the other has a lambo and the owner of the lambo told me they went for a cruise down the beach after the show and they complained to me that my GTM gets all the attention and that they might as well be driving a ford focus! So then I told Dave to follow me to my house to return my GTM and I would give him a ride back to his shop; Well Mike, that made my decision so easy as to whether to sell it or not! Seeing that car in the rear view mirror following me, basically just hovering down the road made that decision for me to keep it as clear as day. What I need now to do is to figure out a way to be able to spend more time in it. Also I need to find the time to photograph the camaro and put it on ebay
    Hi Buddy. You do seem to have a stable of Factory Five cars surrounding you. Do you still have the Gold GTM in the trailer also?

I can't even imagine what you must have felt when you looked in the rear view mirror, and saw your GTM behind you. It's a sweet ride to say the least.

The Orange GTM, The Gold GTM, The Koni GTM, and this "Race" GTM. Shane Vacek may be the only person to have built more GTMs than you.

You need one of the 20th Anniversary Mk4's. I would love to have one, myself. But the timing isn't working. The metallic blue/gray Mk4, with gray stripes, that Dave posted looks awesome. I can't wait to see the pictures of that one.

I think you made the right choice between the GTM & the Camaro.

Now just get out there and drive it.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 06-08-2015 at 05:44 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I called Robbin at Midwest Classic, and after a few questions, a couple of forms, and the use of Pandora's favorite credit card, she's insured to hit the streets.

Then I gathered all the registration relevant documents, receipts, bills of sale, etc., and am ready to tackle NC registration...

Should be fun!

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike-

Been steady following your progress, and I know I have said it before, but it is worth saying again: Your attention to detail, and insatiable desire for perfection is awe inspiring! You don't really have a car, but a work of art. The labor of love (and lots of dollars) is simply amazing. I can't wait to see her finished for real!

Congratulations on nearing the finish line! I know it must be extremely satisfying. Go wear through some tires, but first post some more pictures so we can all drool over them.

I will have to venture to a show where you will have Pandora so I can see her in person. Well done, just doesn't seem to cut it. Congratulations to you and Pam!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Mike-

Been steady following your progress, and I know I have said it before, but it is worth saying again: Your attention to detail, and insatiable desire for perfection is awe inspiring! You don't really have a car, but a work of art. The labor of love (and lots of dollars) is simply amazing. I can't wait to see her finished for real!

Congratulations on nearing the finish line! I know it must be extremely satisfying. Go wear through some tires, but first post some more pictures so we can all drool over them.

I will have to venture to a show where you will have Pandora so I can see her in person. Well done, just doesn't seem to cut it. Congratulations to you and Pam!

Regards,

Steve
    Thanks Steve,

I'm really stoked to be so close to having her finished. I have spoken to a photographer from the Charlotte area that is going to shoot a series of studio and outdoor photos for me. Jamey Price does a lot of Formula 1 & NASCAR stuff as well as photo layouts for magazines. He came by about a year ago to see the car, and was interested in doing the photos. So I'll need to contact him as set that up when I know that the paint work is finishing up. I would like for those pics done immediately after the final buff & detail. So more (finished) photos are definitely on the way. But for now there is really nothing that I can post that doesn't look like previous shop pictures.

And once again, thank you for your kind words. You and so many people here, have completely blown me away with your enthusiasm for Pandora. It has been very much appreciated by Pam & I both. Once I drive it a little and get through the initial "shake down", leak inspections, bolt tightening, etc., we'll make a run up to Chapel Hill, and meet up there.

I think I should go ahead and order another set of rear tires... I think I'll be needing them before long.

Take care, and thanks again.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony asked me what color I wanted to spray Pandora with. My initial response was to paint it whatever it is.

But after thinking about it, I realized that since we're reworking every panel on the car, it would actually make more sense to just re-spray the entire car. Then I figured, well you know, I originally wanted the lexus blue color, and I explained why I liked it, but I told him that I would think about it and get back to him.

About 15 minutes later, he replied back saying that he had a color that he wanted me to consider. Carbon Black Metallic. It's a BMW color, and is easy enough to reproduce if necessary. I couldn't recall having ever seen it, so Pam and I drove up to Hendrick BMW and there it was.

BWM 640i - Carbon Black Metallic:

It's similar to the Lexus Indigo Ink, but maybe a little darker.

Both of the cars in these pictures are painted Carbon Black. The one on the left looks black in the first two pictures, due to the angle that I took them. The one on the right shows a little more blue, because I moved into a position where the sun lit it up. In the third picture I moved a little towards that car, and picked up some of the blue.

I like the fact that the angle from where it is viewed helps to determine the shades that you see. So this is what Pandora will be wearing when we're done.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 06-30-2015 at 09:59 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You could paint your GTM with mud from the local park, and pull it off...but that carbon black is going to look SWEET!
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the Carbon Black is a better choice than the blue it currently is. More difficult to keep clean, but this is THE epitome of a GTM show car, so why not have it in a beautiful black?
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukn4trbl View Post
    You could paint your GTM with mud from the local park, and pull it off...but that carbon black is going to look SWEET!
    We just don't have nice mud in our parks like you guys in Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    I think the Carbon Black is a better choice than the blue it currently is. More difficult to keep clean, but this is THE epitome of a GTM show car, so why not have it in a beautiful black?
    Thanks guys. I did give some thought to having it painted diamond black metallic, but in my mind I've always seen this car in a very dark blue. Black can sometimes hide the curves or lines of a car, and I'd rather accent them. Especially on this car. I think this color will look nice on the curves of the GTM. It should make for some nice pro pictures when it's done.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 06-30-2015 at 02:18 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I just saw this color in person, love it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fastthings View Post
    I just saw this color in person, love it.
    Thanks Gene. It think it's going to look pretty cool. More than anything else, it's going to look "FINISHED"!

Man is this thing fighting completion...

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Gene. It think it's going to look pretty cool. More than anything else, it's going to look "FINISHED"!

Man is this thing fighting completion...

Mike
    Mike.

The beauty of this car is its only done when YOU say it's done. I think many of us enjoy the build as much as the ownership.

I think I'll keep building my GTM for a few more years. Change the color, add more power, add some cosmetics, add more power. Or we can decide we are happy with the fruit of our labor and call it done.

It's like everything that's worth doing.

Sometimes a challenge, but always satisfying.

Can't wait to see your car.
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kabacj View Post
    Mike.

The beauty of this car is its only done when YOU say it's done. I think many of us enjoy the build as much as the ownership.

I think I'll keep building my GTM for a few more years. Change the color, add more power, add some cosmetics, add more power. Or we can decide we are happy with the fruit of our labor and call it done.

It's like everything that's worth doing.

Sometimes a challenge, but always satisfying.

Can't wait to see your car.
    You're right John. I've always had this thing about completing the plan, and then being able to "draw a line" in the sand and call it done. Then the minor changes here and there are just tweaks or tinkering. It will have a tag (personalized), and be pretty much legal, and if Pam & I want to go for a ride some time, we'll be able to.

I pretty much have it the way I want it, and how I had hoped it would be. There is only one thing that I am going to have changed, and that will happen after registration: probably during the winter.

When it gets back home, it will be finished.

Thanks for the support.
    Last edited by The Stig; 07-09-2015 at 08:34 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, this would be a perfect time to upgrade the window seals to the GM ones. They are a huge upgrade from what comes with the kit. Those FFR seals are hideous. Also, if you do have any door/body sealing issues, now would be a perfect time to get it right since the whole car will be repainted. I'm looking forward to seeing it done, that's a great color. P.S. I've still got some gas money...
    Last edited by carbon fiber; 07-04-2015 at 08:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, this would be a perfect time to upgrade the window seals to the GM ones. They are a huge upgrade from what comes with the kit. Those FFR seals are hideous. Also, if you do have any door/body sealing issues, now would be a perfect time to get it right since the whole car will be repainted. I'm looking forward to seeing it done, that's a great color. P.S. I've still got some gas money...
    Hi Jason,

Which GM seals are you talking about? The Corvette C5? The seals for the doors and windows are definitely one of the priorities of re-working the doors. We want to want to make all of the cuts and fab work that will allow them to close the way the should, without all the drama that is sometimes necessary to make sure they closed completely. We're looking and changing the the door latch location Next, the panels will need to be flat and straight for paint.

We are also looking into way to make sure that the door is sealed when it is closed, including the glass. We have a few ideas, and believe me when I say that are completely outside the box... There will be a good bit of cutting and moving and fiberglass re-fabrication.

I am also considering having new door windows made that fit the contours of the roof, the A-pillars, and the rear quarters; (automotive safety glass). That way, the windows will seal the way they should, all the way around. I've spoken to the right people and found that it is doable. So it's at least on the table.

I think I was told that it takes about two weeks or so for them to make the glass, once they have the template(s), and the schedule opens up. So we'll see.

And don't worry... I have every intention of making a trip to meet up with you when I get this sorted out.

Take care, and I'll be in touch.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 07-04-2015 at 08:27 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The seals I'm referring to are the ones Kempo used on his car. They are CRL belt moldings part # YMR256X96. They are for a GM B-body - 96" length. Those are the exterior door/window seals. He never gave the info for the interior door/window seal but he provided a picture of it. Check out his thread, he also used a similar seal to the one Mikespms used for the top body/window seal. gm window seal 2.jpggm window seal.jpg
    Last edited by carbon fiber; 07-05-2015 at 08:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The seals I'm referring to are the ones Kempo used on his car. They are CRL belt moldings part # YMR256X96. They are for a GM B-body - 96" length. Those are the exterior door/window seals. He never gave the info for the interior door/window seal but he provided a picture of it. Check out his thread, he also used a similar seal to the one Mikespms used for the top body/window seal. gm window seal 2.jpggm window seal.jpg
    Ok, now I'm with you. I talked to Hugo about a year ago about the outer window seal. I bought 8' or so for the car. I have not tried to install it yet, because I figured I wasn't quite done with the doors... It's coming though. I was actually talking about the window seal for the front, rear, and top edges of each of the door windows. I'm looking for a single piece that has the 90 degree turn at the rear of the window that can be made to fit.

I thought of just cutting 45's and then bonding the two pieces, but i'd rather try find a single piece solution if there is one.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 07-06-2015 at 06:30 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast