Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,600 of 2016

Thread: More progress made on the body : )

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow great job on the interior after seeing the pictures. Cant wait till i get to that part of the build because i will also be focusing a lot on a luxury look for the interior. Mike what seats are those in ur GTM?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Danny Jaramillo View Post
    Wow great job on the interior after seeing the pictures. Cant wait till i get to that part of the build because i will also be focusing a lot on a luxury look for the interior. Mike what seats are those in ur GTM?
    Thank you Danny.

The Custom Stitching Co., here in Charlotte, worked with me to help design and implement everything that you see inside the car. Steering wheel, switches, gauge cluster are the only things that are not custom built.

The seats are Sparco "Chrono-Road" that were disassembled, cut, re-welded, and then re-covered. Quite a lot went into them, and they still need to be tweaked. But they look great.

Thanks again,

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 09-09-2016 at 09:27 AM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you get a chance to sit in the seats before redoing them? I'm still looking for a really good comfort but sports look seats that can adjust back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Danny Jaramillo View Post
    Did you get a chance to sit in the seats before redoing them? I'm still looking for a really good comfort but sports look seats that can adjust back.
    The seats were too large to fit in the GTM. I knew that they would be when I bought them. But it had a steel frame that could be reworked in order to build custom seats that would fit in the car and look pretty good in the end.

Even with that, we still need to rework the seat cushions to make them about an inch thinner if we can.

Mike
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to the unveil. I admire your dedication to perfection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Rodney's back! Pandora's getting the final sanding and prep. There is some sweet Carbon Black Paint in her not so distant future.

Woo Hoo!

Mike
    Outstanding! Not long now....... Cant' wait.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Vidal, any updates on your car/have you finished it?
    GTM #370
    Car was completed and I have SOLD my car
    http://edgemansgtm.weebly.com/index.html
    Doing what you like is freedom - liking what you do is happiness
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    Vidal, any updates on your car/have you finished it?
    Not yet. I do start it up monthly. Hoping to pick back up before the year ends.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Come on Mike!!! You had us at "Rodney's back!"
    Has it made its way out of the paint booth yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    I know, I know. I stopped by the shop today. Pandora is pretty much finished with the series of primer and block sanding, and looks awesome as she sits. There were a couple of nicks and imperfections that will be spot primed and sanded. And then into the booth she goes. I didn't take pictures because she's sitting in the same place, and I would imagine that they would look like some of the recent ones that I've posted. The items that he's finishing up, are very minor, but they're there.

She's close. Very close.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    So... Pam and I needed to get away. I'm sure you all get to the point from time to time, where you just get to the point where you don't want to deal with things for a while. Whatever those things are... Well Pam and I both hit that wall at the same time yesterday, and decided that we would get out of Charlotte and go to Asheville for the weekend. As we were driving, I got a text from Tony to let me know that the final spots that needed to be addressed after multiple block sanding sessions have been corrected. He said that he plans to have Pandora in the booth Monday night. He says that he wants to do it after hours so he can take his time and concentrate on doing his best job.

I know you can't see me right now,but I am SMILING. If Pandora could physically smile, she would be. I think she's happy though.

Good things are coming.

Mike

Rodney's is making everything just right. My feeling is that this body is going to be so straight, that it just won't look "real". I think it's going to look "too perfect". But when I think of where we started to, where we are now, (thanks to Tony, Rodney, and Kevin), I'm good with that.

If you're local to Charlotte; You Need To Talk To Tony at Charlotte Speed Shop for your custom build / paint needs.

Mike

Tony Kutas
    Charlotte Speed Shop
    8702 Statesville Road
    Suite K
    Charlotte, NC 28269
    (980)322-5895
    Last edited by The Stig; 09-16-2016 at 08:04 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    ok, so in other words, no reason for me to log in here until Tuesday?
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    Asheville is great. We just drove the Parkway up there a few weeks ago. There are some great driving roads on the way.
    I can't wait to see the pics! Have fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dallas_ View Post
    ok, so in other words, no reason for me to log in here until Tuesday?
    Tuesday, Wednesday,Thursday... Who knows? Monday night was the time frame that Tony sent to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JL1958 View Post
    Asheville is great. We just drove the Parkway up there a few weeks ago. There are some great driving roads on the way.
    I can't wait to see the pics! Have fun.
    I can promise you, that those pictures will hit this thread at warp speed.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Baited Beer Breath Over Here!
    Can't Wait To See Pandora!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Baited Beer Breath Over Here!
    LOL...! Too Funny!

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I about choked on my coffee this morning. Tony sent these pictures little while ago. Keep in mind that this is only fresh paint and clear. No buffing and/or cutting has happened yet; and won't for a couple of weeks at least. The paint color is BMW Carbon Black Metallic. And these pictures of the hood will give you an idea of how dark it is until the sun lights up the blue pearl.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that the first picture was taken after the paint was sprayed, but before the first coat of clear went on. There is quite a difference in shine between it and the next picture. But I could be wrong. It's happened before...

This is Tony Kutas showing how clear the reflection of the paint is in the hood.

The name of the shop is Charlotte Speed Shop.

This is the guy that you need to talk to for your paint and body work. (And he tells me that he and the guys have grown to love GTM's...)

You can send your car to him with confidence that he and his guys know what they are doing; and that you will get what you are paying for. When Tony, Rodney, and Kevin, have worked the body and paint of your car, it will have been done right, the first time.

I think it's easy to see that the wait was worth it. The reflections of the lights in the booth are crisp and straight.

The Body is coming up next. I can't wait to see that. And then the Hatch, Spoiler, and Doors will follow.

I'm SMILING!

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 09-20-2016 at 04:00 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wow, just... stunning!!
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    As much as I dislike "trailer queens", I must say that I think it would be a shame to take this car, and this paint job, for long drives on public roads. This GTM is a gem and needs to be a showcase piece for FFR or some other worthy company. It is no longer your basic FFR kit car. Beautiful work.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    As you can see in the hood's reflection, it is a beautiful day here in Charlotte.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Not Long Now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks really good.
    Just an old man with a great hobby

Post Thanks / Like
    DANG Mike!! You just keep raising the bar for the rest of us! LOL IT sure is looking GOOD !!
    Cheers, Jeff
    GTM 422, LS6, cam, heads, Mendeola trans

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dallas_ View Post
    Wow, just... stunning!!
    Thank you! As I said, it caught me by surprise when I call the first picture. I literally choked on my coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    As much as I dislike "trailer queens", I must say that I think it would be a shame to take this car, and this paint job, for long drives on public roads. This GTM is a gem and needs to be a showcase piece for FFR or some other worthy company. It is no longer your basic FFR kit car. Beautiful work.
    Mike, I don't care much for trailer queens either. You don't want to know how many hours are in the hood alone. The expectation is that she'll be shown for a while, and then it'll be time to enjoy. We'll see how my will power holds out... I've been in GTM withdrawal for so long, I'm sort of used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Not Long Now!
    It shouldn't take much longer. Based on what I see today, I can wait if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Reid View Post
    Looks really good.
    Thanks Roger. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by claybags View Post
    DANG Mike!! You just keep raising the bar for the rest of us! LOL IT sure is looking GOOD !!
    Cheers, Jeff
    Hi Jeff, All I did was put her in the right hands. Tony, Kevin, and Rodney are the ones with the magic and the ability to do the heavy lifting.

Thanks Guys.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    As you can see in the hood's reflection, it is a beautiful day here in Charlotte.

Mike
    Mike-

No offense, but no matter the weather, the day they got paint on your car was going to be a beautiful day in Charlotte!!

She looks stunning! Congratulations on getting some seriously exciting news!

Very, very happy for you.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful! Congrats!
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh man that is nice!

Are you still shooting for Sema? I might have to take a trip to see that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow ....Mike .... Congrats. The paint is stunning. I'm excited that you can finally see a the finish line on this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    A huge milestone Mike!
    I think that that color will play well with the shape of the GTM.
    Cheers,
    Dave

GTM # 294 Build Start Date 10/12/2009,
    2000 C5 Donor, LS-1 Twin Turbo, AC/Heat, G50-20.02 6 speed, Brandwood Cable shifter
    Build site. http://s679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/dfraser/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wirenut View Post
    Oh man that is nice!

Are you still shooting for Sema? I might have to take a trip to see that.
    Thanks! Tony was approached by a very large corporate sponsor 3 or 4 weeks ago who showed an interest, but wouldn't commit until the car was painted and we could give a firm finish date. I was excited about it, but the more I thought about it, the more I felt that we would need to rush the schedule in order to finish her up. And after all that this build has gone through, it didn't make sense to me to do that.

As for SEMA, you have to be a vendor of some sort in the Automotive industry, or be approached by a company that would like to display your car to promote their products. I am obviously not a vendor in the auto industry. So far, no one else has approached or responded to me with any real interest or commitment.

I put feelers out to Factory Five a couple of months ago, with a firm commitment that the car would be ready if they would let me know anything one way or the other. I got a request for pictures from Dave (Mad Dog) Lindsey (I guess there weren't enough in the build thread), and then never heard another word from them.

I did notice soon afterwards, however, that they asked the forum whether anyone "thought their car was worthy of being shown at SEMA"... Hopefully they found cars that will work. I can't imagine that they wouldn't since there are so many great builds out there.

So at this point, given the short time frame leading into the start of the show, the odds are slim that Pandora would be there.

But you never know what could happen. Pandora will be completely painted in a matter of days, and we're steadily moving along towards completion, which will happen soon. Since there is currently no hard deadline, we'll probably take care of couple of wish list items in the engine bay and under the hood. We'll see.

But right now, for me, I'm just happy that paint is being sprayed, and that it laid down so well.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 09-21-2016 at 08:17 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, a while back you were contemplating changing Pandora's name. After thinking about it a bit more, I think Pandora is perfect. After all of the evils escaped, she was able to close the box (or jar for the perfectionists out there) and keep Elpis inside. Elpis usually translates to Hope but could also mean Expectation. I think a lot of us are out here waiting with great expectation to see Pandora completed. She is looking great so far. I can't wait for the final reveal. Be sure to post when you have her at events close to home. My folks are down that way. They keep harping on me to come visit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jceckard View Post
    Mike, a while back you were contemplating changing Pandora's name. After thinking about it a bit more, I think Pandora is perfect. After all of the evils escaped, she was able to close the box (or jar for the perfectionists out there) and keep Elpis inside. Elpis usually translates to Hope but could also mean Expectation. I think a lot of us are out here waiting with great expectation to see Pandora completed. She is looking great so far. I can't wait for the final reveal. Be sure to post when you have her at events close to home. My folks are down that way. They keep harping on me to come visit.
    I'm not sure that I would change her name now. I've become accustomed to it; and for the reason that you explained so well.

Like most women, Pandora would send you down a path and then laugh while you did your best to prove that you could get there.

For me. "Pandora" is the perfect "one-word summary" to describe my GTM build.

But now, instead of laughing, I think she's smiling.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful Stig! Congrats

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory Brown View Post
    Beautiful Stig! Congrats
    Thank you Buddy!

The guys at Bauer Restorations did an awesome job with your paint and bodywork.

I've always thought that it would be very cool if a few of the GTM owners who are willing, could put a weekend or long weekend together that we could all meet some place and do a cruise. Hell, Maybe we all do the power tour... But something. Pam and I have been planning a drive down the west cost from Seattle to Huntington Beach. But could meet anywhere. Tail of the Dragon...? Pam wouldn't like that because it would make her sick. And scared... A drive across the desert... I would suggest a drive down from Wareham MA, to Miami (with stops)... But the east coast roads and highways SUCK!!!!!!!

Sorry. Got a little sidetracked.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thank you Buddy!

The guys at Bauer Restorations did an awesome job with your paint and bodywork.

I've always thought that it would be very cool if a few of the GTM owners who are willing, could put a weekend or long weekend together that we could all meet some place and do a cruise. Hell, Maybe we all do the power tour... But something. Pam and I have been planning a drive down the west cost from Seattle to Huntington Beach. But could meet anywhere. Tail of the Dragon...? Pam wouldn't like that because it would make her sick. And scared... A drive across the desert... I would suggest a drive down from Wareham MA, to Miami (with stops)... But the east coast roads and highways SUCK!!!!!!!

Sorry. Got a little sidetracked.

Mike
    California Dreaming...

How long until we see Pandora all together?

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    California Dreaming...

How long until we see Pandora all together?

Hi David! Very cool picture! I always like seeing your posts.

We should see that soon. The things that they have been doing have been invisible in that if I took pictures they would look like a lot of the previous pictures.

But... Tony said that Kevin has wrapped up the corrections that needed to be done after the first two blocks, and that he was blocking out some spot primer sprays. I think that has been completed. That means that the body will be painted next. I think the doors and hatch and spoiler go after the body. Not sure. So it will probably be at least a week before we see everything painted and reassembled.

I do know this: She will be at Huntington Beach next year without a doubt. And I'll be looking forward to the burger fest the day before!

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 09-22-2016 at 04:45 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks fantastic. You should still have decent weather to enjoy it when finished. It would look great in the 2016 SEMA FF display. Maybe next year.

Michael
    Michael

GTM 240

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn! Money well spent. She is beautiful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hot Damn!!!!!

I've been away from the forums for a while (long story), but I'm really happy to see Pandora nearing the finish line!
    Your perseverance, patience (and pocketbook! LOL) have been an inspiration for us all!

Congrats. She looks SO AWESOME!!!!! And I'm not talking "hot babe at the beach" awesome, either...I'm talking SI Swimsuit Issue Cover model in your bed AWEWSOME!

Post Thanks / Like
    Pam and I stopped by the shop on our way out of town on Friday. Rodney was finishing up some last touches on the body. Tony asked me if my hands were clean, and then told me to rub the back of my hand across the fender. I guess I was expecting there to be at least a little texture or slight roughness from the sanding blocks.

I was absolutely shocked to realize that it felt like highly polished marble or granite. What Rodney has done to prep the surfaces is nothing short of amazing to me. The surface was absolutely glass smooth.

Now I completely understand how the hood came out so nice without having been cut/buffed.

I would imagine that should see the body soon.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast