Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,640 of 2016

Thread: More progress made on the body : )

Post Thanks / Like
    The word from the high commander (not Pam; the other one), is that they found a couple of spots that they corrected today. She will go into the booth tomorrow night!

Woo Hoo! Man I can't wait to see her when Tony's finished spraying her. After seeing what he did with the hood, I can't imagine how nice the body is going to look.

Why do I hear Carly Simon singing "Anticipation" in the background....?

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 09-27-2016 at 06:52 PM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a note this afternoon from Tony, that Pandora is in the booth! She was going to go in yesterday, but he did his "shine" test on the surfaces and saw a couple of places that he wanted to tweak. He did; and now she's in the booth and everything is ready for her to be sprayed first thing tomorrow morning. It seems kind of surreal that all this effort is coming to it's conclusion. I hope to stop by tomorrow afternoon sometime to see her in person. She's up on a paint rack to get her higher up so the paint wont blow back on the lower part of the body. So I doubt we'll be able to get her out in the sun for a day or so. But it won't be long.

I'm just a little excited.

Mike
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

Freak'n Awesome!!!!!!
    It almost feels like there should be a watch party tomorrow for the 1st set of photos
    Cheers,
    Dave

GTM # 294 Build Start Date 10/12/2009,
    2000 C5 Donor, LS-1 Twin Turbo, AC/Heat, G50-20.02 6 speed, Brandwood Cable shifter
    Build site. http://s679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/dfraser/

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Mr. The-Stig,

I'll be out of pocket for about a week so I'm really expecting Some Cool Pandora Pics when I get back in town from Cruising The Coast.

Last edited by GoDadGo; 09-30-2016 at 10:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Woo! Hoo!

The final sealer coat went on early this morning.

Here we go folks...!

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    A little later came the base coat. (Base coat only) so far.

Even in the base coat, it is easy to see how straight the lines on the car are coming out. If you look at the reflections at the top of the rear fenders they follow a straight line along the curves. They are now at all wavy like they were originally.

"Pumped and Excited" don't even begin to describe how good I'm feeling right now.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 09-30-2016 at 11:17 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    A little later came the base coat. (Base coat only) so far.

Even in the base coat, it is easy to see how straight the lines on the car are coming out. If you look at the reflections at the top of the rear fenders they follow a straight line along the curves. They are now at all wavy like they were originally.

"Pumped and Excited" don't even begin to describe how good I'm feeling right now.

Mike
    Ok, Mike, STOP! STOP NOW!

The last time I bragged about how good a paint job was going, a freakin' MOTH landed in the clear coat!!!!!

DO NOT JINX THIS!

There is plenty of time to count successes when the job is done!

Post Thanks / Like
    Pandora has been painted..!

Tony took the hood out into the sun so I could see the color pop.

And then he opened the booth doors...

OMG...!

Happy? Yep...!
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Those guys are good!!

Post Thanks / Like

The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

And there she is... These pictures were taken within two hours after Tony put the first 4 coats of clear on. When it cures more it will lay more flat. But my gosh... It looks insane as it sits.

The pictures are nice, and they give a sense of the work that went into getting her ready for today. But being there and seeing her in person pretty much rendered me speechless. She looks Great. She looks Unbelievable. I can't even imagine how nice these lines are going to look once they have wet sanded and buffed her with the same attention to detail that they have shown over every square inch of this car so far.

Right now, at this point, all I can say is Thank You to Tony, Rodney, Kevin, and Kenny for all that you have done to this point in helping me to realize my vision of what I always hoped Pandora would be. Thanks to you, she has not only met that goal, but will surpass it by a huge margin... You guys a true craftsmen, and I want you to know that you are appreciated.

Pandora has tested us all repeatedly. She was supposed to be in the booth yesterday, but for whatever reason she wasn't having it.

Kevin has been working the body, perfecting cut lines and beauty lines; creating ridges and blend lines where there were none, and making the panels flow from one to the other. He created some length in the doors and hood that most people will never notice, but absolutely make the car look complete. He gave Pandora an OEM look and finish that she deserved.

Rodney worked that body to perfection, and she still snuck a couple of things in there that had to be re-addressed. So Rodney saw them and addressed them like the pro that he is.

Even today, she put Tony through his paces while he sprayed the first coats onto the panels. But Tony's patience won out over her "Pandorian" efforts to push back. (Not sure if that's really a word, but after today, I'll bet it's one that Tony will use in the future: Along with a few other choice ones...)

As I've said repeatedly in the past, B1tches be Crazy!!! And this one certainly has been.

So again; Thank you guys for taking this on, and not giving up on her!

She is in great hands.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 10-06-2016 at 03:00 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats mike look really good!!! How soon till its dry's for you to install the body?

Post Thanks / Like
    Almost there Mike. You are in the home stretch now. Looking good!!!!
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Now You Are Cooking With Gas!

Covering things in paint too.

Congratulations On Hitting This Milestone!

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome Mike...feel like I have been holding my breathe through your whole ordeal...well done!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Stunning. Just stunning.
    Well played sir, well played indeed.
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    Amazing! Nothing short of amazing!

Post Thanks / Like
    so sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee t!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by T4Twins View Post
    Congrats mike look really good!!! How soon till its dry's for you to install the body?
    I guess is't hard to tell with the paper taped in place, but the body is actually on the chassis. The cool thing about this car is that everything tucks in pretty tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kempo View Post
    Almost there Mike. You are in the home stretch now. Looking good!!!!
    Thank you Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Now You Are Cooking With Gas!

Covering things in paint too.

Congratulations On Hitting This Milestone!
    Thank you. To say that I'm excited is simply an understatement. I am ecstatic. Having seen her in person, I was able to see how Tony will be able to finish her out.

Quote Originally Posted by cgundermann View Post
    Awesome Mike...feel like I have been holding my breathe through your whole ordeal...well done!
    Quote Originally Posted by dallas_ View Post
    Stunning. Just stunning.
    Well played sir, well played indeed.
    Yes. I hung on to the "Ace of Stubborn" through the whole thing. Some might call that the Joker...

Quote Originally Posted by tucker298 View Post
    Amazing! Nothing short of amazing!
    Thank you Sir. I can't wait for you and I to figure out a way to have our cars at the Pinehurst Concourse. They might shove out out into a corner, but at least we could say we were there.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz Rules View Post
    so sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee t!
    LOL .........!!!!! Thank you!

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful. FFR should have pulled new molds from your car before paint went down.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks AMAZING! Congrats!
    Jonas

Check out our build blog - https://vjjfactoryfive.wordpress.com/
    FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    So nice, makes me excited.
    Congrats, the boys did you right!
    Man, that looks good!

Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.facebook.com/27925413222...6960223786415/

This is a quick video that Tony Posted on his Charlotte Speed Shop Facebook page.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 10-03-2016 at 05:06 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Back out of the booth.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I watched their Facebook video.
    Having done the bodywork and paint on my roadster, I can say that it takes a lot of time, effort patience and SKILL to get the reflections to look like that. Incredible.

It's so nice that I just hope you are still willing to drive it when it's all back together.
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dallas_ View Post
    I watched their Facebook video.
    It's so nice that I just hope you are still willing to drive it when it's all back together.
    LOL... Haven't you heard? Super-models aren't just about the catwalk. They like to get out and be seen. Pandora will be seen. And as she moves from venue to venue, she'll do it in style.

Thanks. I appreciate the compliment. And I'm sure that Tony and the guys do as well. You mentioned time, effort, patience, and SKILL; and they certainly brought all of that to the table. If it wasn't just right, they went back after it again until it was. We all took our time with her this time. They have been patient with her. And I've been learning patience with the process of this type of meticulous work and accomplishment. Tony saw this from the beginning. I had to have faith, and let the guys all do their thing.

It wasn't easy at times. But we all made it through.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 10-05-2016 at 05:01 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony had the hood back on the car, so I wanted to drive up to the shop and see the guys and have a look at Pandora. She looks great! There was a bit of dust on the surface, but I was amazed at how "wet" the paint still looks. I can't wait to see it after she's been wet sanded and polished.

There is still a little work being done on the doors, so they won't be ready for the booth until next week some time. To see her with the doors, hood, and hatch on will be a nice milestone. It should be soon.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    A work of art. Can't wait to see her finished.

Post Thanks / Like
    She looks great!
    Steve K
    FFR 3906

Post Thanks / Like
    I stopped by the shop on Friday. Rodney was wet sanding the hood and body. It was amazing to me to see the "orange peel" that was there. You could see where he had taken it down to an even smoother surface than the pictures showed. At the edges of where he was working you could see the transition from smooth to slight orange peel.

Rodney said that he was working with 1000 grit on the first pass, and will go to 2000 on the next pass. If needed, he'll hit it with 5000 grit to get it just right before polishing. He said that he hopes to be done with the sanding this week.

The doors and hatch are apparently still being worked. The interior panels on the inside of the door, apparently never really fit the shape of the door correctly. So Kevin is still building up the door surfaces and shaping them so the door panels fit, and "seal" all the way around, without forcing them inward towards the seats or the dash. (because there is literally no room for the panels to move inward).

It's all a balancing act with this car.

They showed me a very simple yet strong and effective door stop, that will limit the doors from opening too wide and cracking the fiberglass. We used a "standard" door limiter system, that still allowed the door to swing open too far, and caused stress cracks at the top. With the new limiters, that can't happen now.

The hatch is still being worked. I don't know at this point whether this is structural, or final prep and sanding. Rodney said that there was probably still a half day or so worth of effort to do. So, my assumption is that this is final prep work for having it ready for paint.

Tony is taking Bill Phillips SLC to Tennessee to be on Stacey David's show (Gearz). I'm not sure if it is being featured or a part of specific segment. I do know that he (Stacey) featured an SLC build some time back. And Bill's car is a beautiful example of what those cars can be. Maybe this is to sort of add to that story line in some way. Either way, it's pretty cool.

My understanding is that Tony will be out of play for part of the week doing that. So Pandora will be well prepared by Rodney, Kevin, and Kenny; and will get some magic applied by Tony and the buffing pad.

It is not a quick process. But it is definitely the correct process. I am proud of Pandora, and the work that these guys have put into her.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 10-16-2016 at 09:40 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Is Gearz still on tv? I haven't seen or heard about it in literally several years now.

Wet sanding Pandora...yeah, I remember doing that on show cars. 1000 wet by hand, 1500 wet by hand, 2000 wet by hand, 3000 Trizact on a DA with a soft pad and super short throw, 5000 Trizact on the softpad short throw DA, polish with 3m white, polish with 3m gray, polish with 3m blue. First time I went through the process, I burned through on an edge and had to re-shoot the fender. Fortunately it wasn't a candy or fancy pearl, so I was able to match. Whew.

Its a process, but its sure worth it. Can't wait to see it all done and together.

(This has got to be more exciting than a girlfriend getting a boob job!)

Post Thanks / Like
    It's certainly more expensive!
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Is Gearz still on tv? I haven't seen or heard about it in literally several years now.

Wet sanding Pandora...yeah, I remember doing that on show cars. 1000 wet by hand, 1500 wet by hand, 2000 wet by hand, 3000 Trizact on a DA with a soft pad and super short throw, 5000 Trizact on the softpad short throw DA, polish with 3m white, polish with 3m gray, polish with 3m blue. First time I went through the process, I burned through on an edge and had to re-shoot the fender. Fortunately it wasn't a candy or fancy pearl, so I was able to match. Whew.

Its a process, but its sure worth it. Can't wait to see it all done and together.

Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    It's certainly more expensive!

Now there's a perspective that I hadn't thought of...!

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

Rodney has been doing Masters Work on the paint prep for Pandora.

Her curves are as smooth as a baby's butt!

Also, the brake rotors are going to be painted Ferrari Silverstone Gray. I think they will look much nicer than the battleship gray color that they are currently.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 10-21-2016 at 05:13 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought the paint was already shot and in the process of wet sanding? Are these retro shots?
    Just an old man with a great hobby

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Roger,

Yes the paint has been shot. 3 coats of base, 4 coats of clear. But... it hadn't been cut & buffed yet. The previous pictures were take within a couple of hours after being sprayed.

These pictures are after being wet-sanded with 1 round of 1000 grit and another round of 2000 grit. We were thinking that we may need to go with a 5000 grit to get everything to the level that they want to see. But it came out really nice with the 2000. So they'll test a section with the buffer and see where they are.

It sure looks good to me though...

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 10-22-2016 at 07:38 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I see what your talking about now. My paint was done 2,000 miles away so I never got to see the wet sand stage.I look forward to seeing in person. Pictures never do justice to the real thing.
    Just an old man with a great hobby

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Reid View Post
    Ok, I see what your talking about now. My paint was done 2,000 miles away so I never got to see the wet sand stage.I look forward to seeing in person. Pictures never do justice to the real thing.
    I look forward to meeting you, and showing you around Pandora. I know that I've made these plans before, but Pam and I plan (again) to be in Huntington Beach this coming year.

Maybe this will be the year that it actually happens...

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony sent a teaser. I haven't decided if this guy hates me or loves me...

Pandora's left rear fender: obviously... He sent this to give me an idea of how the panels are polishing out.

Oh. My. God!

I think it's pretty obvious that the work that He, Kevin, & Rodney have put into her, is paying huge dividends. You can clearly see the 20' roof of the shop in the mirror finish of Pandora's rear fender.

Sorry... I can't help but act like a proud Poppa. This has been a long time in coming.

I can't stress this enough!!!!! Anyone who is seriously interested in having the bodywork and paint of their car done right, needs to contact Tony at Charlotte Speed Shop. If you will send me a PM, I would be more than happy to send his contact information to you.

You owe it to yourself to at least talk to him before you have your car painted anywhere else in the southeast. His guys are absolutely top rate, and you will be hard pressed to find ANY PLACE that will do a better job.

They will do it right, the first time, which will save you a ton of money. Believe me, I know... as you've seen documented in this build thread. Save yourself a ton of stress and drama, and have your car done right the first time. GTM, or Cobra, SLC or GTR: He's up to the task. And you will be happy that you spent whatever the price might be.

It's always less expensive to get what you want the first time, than to have to try two or three times.

The choice is up to you. All I can say is that I could absolutely not be any happier.

Mike

Last edited by The Stig; 10-24-2016 at 09:21 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I've also asked him to repaint Pandora's brake calipers "gun metal" metallic gray. I think it will look great next to the polished wheels and the carbon black metallic paint! Instead of Ferrari as shown on the calipers in the picture, I plan to have "Factory Five Racing" as the logo. I am debating whether that should wrap in a curve or be shown in a straight line.

Either way, I think it should finish off the look of the exterior. What do you think?

Highly polished carbon fiber splitter & rockers, Highly polished aluminum CCW wheels, BMW Carbon Black Metallic Paint, Highly polished exhaust tips, Gun Metal Gray Metallic brake calipers... And a light gray leather interior.

Elegant, yet bad a$$...

I think it's going to look killer! But then I may be a bit biassed.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 10-24-2016 at 09:26 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast