Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,800 of 2016

Thread: More progress made on the body : )

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Mike-

Knowing how much work went into that hatch, I KNOW how good it must feel to see it with color, and almost mounted!

I love seeing these new milestones over the last several weeks. It is truly refreshing reading your posts that are finally upbeat and dripping with anticipation!

I am really looking forward to reading your upcoming posts as she crosses the finish line. My very best to you and Pam in the new year!

I hope to get a chance to see Pandora in person after she is all done!

Regards,

Steve
    Steve, Don't worry. I plan to make sure that we get together and give you a chance to go through her and see what she's all about.

Quote Originally Posted by tucker298 View Post
    Mike,

I can't believe how amazing your car is, in every aspect. The detail, the patience to see it through...... glad I live in your state so it'll save me the airfare I would've paid to see it lol
    Mr Tucker. I have no doubt that our paths are going to cross very soon. I'm thinking of taking her to Pinehurst for the 2017 show, if they'll let me show her there. I don't think she would qualify to be judged, but they may let me display her somewhere near the Ferrari corridor. We shall see. If so, I'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Vette1972 View Post
    Stig,

That is one seriously beautiful car! It is something to be quite proud of. It's getting closer by the day. Congrats!

Len
    Thank you Len. I am definitely very proud of her, and I truly appreciate the words of encouragement.

We're getting very close... And she'll soon be making laps around I-485 (by-pass) here in Charlotte. It's going to be FUN!!!!

Mike
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Pandora's Potential Car Show Calendar 2017

1). Cars and Coffee When available
    2). Cars and Cappuccino When available
    3). Charlotte Auto Fair April 6 through 9
    4). Huntington Beach Cruise-In April 29
    5). Pinehurst Concours d' Elegance May 5th & 6th (Not confirmed yet)
    6). Factory Five Open House June 6/10
    7). Holley LS Fest 9/8 through 9/10
    8). Gearz (Stacey David) television segment. Fall 2017 (Not 100% confirmed yet)
    9). SEMA Show ??? 10/31 through 11/03 (Not confirmed yet)

Let's see how many of these we can actually hit...

It's a goal anyway.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 01-09-2017 at 10:32 PM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    SEMA Show ??? Oct 31-Nov 3 (Not confirmed yet)
    Mike
    What's this?? Are you hiding something?
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beeman View Post
    What's this?? Are you hiding something?
    No. Not hiding anything. There was potential for 2016, that might transfer to 2017, but we don't know yet. I hope it works out, because it would sure be a perfect fit for Pandora.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 01-09-2017 at 10:33 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    The Wiring around the engine bay was cleaned up. A thermostat / relay was installed to control the transaxle cooler & pump. Apparently the Tilton Pump doesn't like Cold or Cool transaxle oil to be moved through it. Therefore we're keeping the pump turned off until the oil reaches a warmer temp/ (180 or so).
    I had to replace the pump, because my had burnt itself out, and I probably don't have 15 miles on the car. (From driving around my neighborhood to heat the fluids and check for leaks).

The Diffuser is being reinstalled using nutserts and button head bolts. This will make it much easier to remove if I ever need to.

The diffuser looks great with with the polished clear coat. It really makes it stand out.

The depth of the carbon fiber looks awesome.

The Splitter, Rocker Extension Panels, the Diffuser, and the Rear Hatch vent cover have all been given a few coats of clear coat. and polished.

Pictures do not do them justice. When you stand next to it, you could swear that you could stick your hand 2 feet into it if you wanted to. It looks like perfectly still water with Carbon Fiber at the bottom.

Pretty cool.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 01-11-2017 at 08:53 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    updated car check list...... polished clear coat on splitter, rockers and diffuser. thanks Mike!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, Beautiful job on the clear coat. You did the right thing. I had to redo mine last spring due to porosity issues allows in water to get into the CF mesh. Better to do it right the first time. I went back and looked at some of your pictures and find myself in awe of your interior as much as the exterior!

Michael
    Michael

GTM 240

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mlkwd1 View Post
    Mike, Beautiful job on the clear coat. You did the right thing. I had to redo mine last spring due to porosity issues allows in water to get into the CF mesh. Better to do it right the first time. I went back and looked at some of your pictures and find myself in awe of your interior as much as the exterior!

Michael
    Thank you Michael. I've just been lucky enough to have finally found two trustworthy people who could actually do what they said they could, and who charged me fairly.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 01-13-2017 at 11:21 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    When I saw this picture of the hatch, I wondered why it had to be re-sanded. And then I realized that what I was seeing was the reflection of clouds in the paint. Tony has made his first pass at cut & buff, and says that he plans to hit it again with a second round.

I told him that if he does that, it's going to "disappear" because it's so clear.

He expects to have it permanently mounted back onto the car, with the glass and carbon fiber cover installed, today (or early this week). I'm looking forward to seeing that.

Here's a link for a "walk-around" video sent by Tony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b60GWyiCmhM

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 01-16-2017 at 02:31 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha, I thought it looked wet sanded too at first glance! Can't wait to see it done!
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    The Stig,

I just made a trip from WV to SC to see grandkids. Used the 485 around Charlotte, the west side is IDEAL to stretch Pandora's legs a bit. Have fun! Know you are ready to open her up to the breeze. It is a beautiful automobile!

Len
    1972 Corvette Stingray 350 c.i. Manual Steering & Brakes
    2003 H-D Softail Deuce 88 c.i. TwinCam
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    The Stig,

I just made a trip from WV to SC to see grandkids. Used the 485 around Charlotte, the west side is IDEAL to stretch Pandora's legs a bit. Have fun! Know you are ready to open her up to the breeze. It is a beautiful automobile!

Len
    Finally, someone who gets it....

The west side is a good run, but traffic can tend to back up without much warning; anytime and any day... The East side has less traffic and (I think) less Paparazzi idiots doing their best to run you off the road while they act upon their God-Given right to take pictures of your car.

But we'll just have to see if that's the case or not...

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    After that cut and polish job, I think you should change Pandora's name to "Blue Chrome"!

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL... Tony keeps telling me that I should change her name also. I think that she's always going to be Pandora. Because she's always going to find some way of being a B1tch...

But I mean that in the most positive way, of course...

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I took a leisurely drive up to Tony's shop to see how things were going with Pandora. And guess what... She's living up to her name yet again...

I won't go into details, but the paint booth started acting pretty weird, to the extent that Tony pulled and replaced all the filters and purged the air system, etc, etc.

He said that everything had worked perfectly since the day it was installed, and right up until he got the doors finished (2nd time) and ready to go back into booth.

I guess the DIVA wasn't ready for them to be done, so she started her crap again.

I told Tony not to stress and to go have a great weekend.

So Nope... Pandora's name will not be changed. She is, and always will be, "Pandora": The wicked B1tch of the South.

And as always, I mean that in the best possible way...

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 01-20-2017 at 06:31 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sheesh... why is that not surprising? I check this site mostly to see how your car is coming.
    Looking back on it, you started this thread 6 years ago. She is a b1tch, but a very fine b1tch she will be for sure.
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful women are usually a pain in the ***. Lol. The car is looking great. Can't wait to see it.

Post Thanks / Like
    The doors are painted again.

I thought that this was an actual mirror.

The headlight covers are being fitted.

All cleaned up, adn no place to go...

I've had a few people ask me who did the paint and body on my car. I've posted the information a couple of times, but
    here you go. Give him a call and let him know what you're trying to accomplish. (That's the first step).

The rest will just sort of happen.

Charlotte Speed Shop
    Tony Kutas
    8702 Statesville Rd.
    Suite K
    Charlotte, NC 28269
    (980) 322-5895

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Just..... wow. Stunning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very impressive! Can't wait to see her out in the sunlight!
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The Paint Finish Is Amazing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dallas_ View Post
    Just..... wow. Stunning.
    Quote Originally Posted by beeman View Post
    Very impressive! Can't wait to see her out in the sunlight!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    The Paint Finish Is Amazing!
    Thank you guys. I know that I am saturating this build thread with pictures, but I am really proud of where this car is today compared to where it was 2 years ago. This has been a very slow process for me. I'm used to hitting a project, and being able to work it in a way that allows me to realize "milestones" and goals along the way. When the car is being worked on by Professionals, I've found that the best thing to do is step back, and let them be the pros. I provide my thoughts and vision, and they make it happen. In most cases, it takes longer to do it right the first time. In Pandora's case, we're taking the 2nd &/or 3rd swing, but this time the right way.

I like to show pictures as different things (milestones) happen. At this point, everything feels like a milestone. When Tony sends me pictures, I see how everything is coming together 1 piece at a time. There are many here who have told me that they want to see them, so I post what I have. But it also makes the process seem to take much longer that it really is. My choices have dictated the amount of time that this has taken to complete. But it was a trade off that I was willing to make in order to have the right people doing the work that I was certain would get me to my goal.

And we are.

Thank you again for the huge support that you and everyone here have always given me. This "family" is what has given me the desire to make this happen.

Take care,

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 01-24-2017 at 12:14 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Trust me, we look forward to your updates, keep them coming.
    For me, a forum like this is a great way not only to share, but also to have a place to "dump" your progress so it's convenient to look back and review your journey.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    The Doors and Hatch have been re-installed. I've been waiting a long time to see these pictures...!

The sunlight really makes the blue pearl jump right out!

Obviously the mirrors still need to be installed. They've probably been done by now.

A little shop dust on the rocker extension, but it still looks awesome...!

Are those some sweet curves or what?!?!?

Last edited by The Stig; 01-24-2017 at 09:17 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Back inside...

The rear door pillars line up flush with the rear quarter windows.

The door handles are still on the punch list.

The rear Hatch is installed. I knew that they spent a LOT of time getting the gaps as nice as possible, but wow...

Tony sent a text this after noon saying that the mesh was installed in the hatch. That must have been after this picture.

Also the Poly-Carbonate and the heat vent cover should be installed pretty soon.
    Last edited by The Stig; 01-24-2017 at 09:31 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    She's just about there...

The spoiler was installed. It looks pretty good to me!

It's like Christmas for 54 year old kid.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 01-24-2017 at 09:10 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    So You Seek The Grail!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    So You Seek The Grail!

Steve
    Hi Steve.

I'm not sure that I consider myself worthy of the Grail. But I try to be. I am extremely proud of how Pandora is finishing out. And I'm very happy with the work that Tony and the guys have done.

This is the first set of "assembled body" pictures that I've seen in natural sunlight. All I can say it that I literally could not speak for a few minutes when I saw her. Just unbelievable. After all this time I was a little overwhelmed. And then he just kept sending more and more...

Fortunately, I didn't have any meetings or presentations to deal with today.

So I guess in my small world, yes... I think we sought and achieved our version of the "Grail".

I can say with certainty, that I could not be any more happy.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Almost champagne time, Mike!
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm running out of superlatives for this car. Stunning. Congratulations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JL1958 View Post
    I'm running out of superlatives for this car. Stunning.
    X2. Just..... wow.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the stance of the car, especially the pics behind the car at an angle when she's inside. Ride height is spot on and the rims offsets are right. No comment on the paint job..... that topic has been covered lol and rightly so.

Post Thanks / Like
    The hatch is complete, including the rubber seals. Tony has gone way beyond in order to make sure that the transition from roof to hatch is seamless. I think that you can see that it absolutely is. The gaps are about as nice as anyone could make them.

I've always been a fan of Chip Foose. I've always thought that he was the MAN... Hands down. But I believe we are witnessing a new car Guru rising in the Eastern US.

As well, I'd like to send my sincere thanks to Jason Cecil for designing and creating this hatch. He worked with me to design something that would vent the heat, and look great doing it. It vents the heat beautifully, and looks freakin' awesome doing it.

To be completely honest, I only have two words right now to describe how I feel about what I'm seeing...

"Thank you".

There is just enough of a gap between the trailing edge of the carbon fiber cover and the "glass" to vent the heat from the engine bay very quickly.

It's lucky for me that Tony is in a picture taking mood; so I'll keep posting them.

Videos are nice too!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLh5...s&spfreload=10

Thanks everyone. And thank you Tony.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 01-26-2017 at 09:23 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The Grail Has Been Found!

WOW!

Post Thanks / Like
    AMAZING!

Almost time for the 485!

Enjoy!
    1972 Corvette Stingray 350 c.i. Manual Steering & Brakes
    2003 H-D Softail Deuce 88 c.i. TwinCam
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    It looks oem to me. It changes the rear view of the car for the better, no more double hump roofline. Looking good, won't be long now.

Post Thanks / Like
    I though that the headlight covers were taped to keep them from shifting while the bonding agent cured...
    As it turns out, that were taped because they have not been bonded yet.
    The Mirrors and the headlight covers will have to wait until the body gets its final cut and buff: Then she'll get a coat of wax.

The gives a little better view of the vent cover at the top of the hatch "glass".
    We ran her today and let the temp climb up a bit. When we raised the hatch, there really wasn't very much heat in the engine bay at all.
    The upper vent and the new mesh really did their job well.

I wanted to show the hatch vent, but I'm not sure that it really shows well in the picture.
    The car is so shiny that it's hard to differentiate very much between panels.
    But you can see how the CF cover provides just enough room for the heat to escape the top of the hatch.

Smile & Say Cheese! She sort of looks like a Zombie that tape around her "eyes".

Pandora's getting ready for her close up...
    Last edited by The Stig; 01-28-2017 at 11:55 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never actually seen her in the sun, with this new paint. I've seen Pictures of Parts out in the sun. And then later I saw pictures of the car, without the doors and hatch out in the sun. And then last week I was finally able to see her with her doors and hatch, out in the sun.

So when I walked into the shop yesterday afternoon, Tony had sort of a pseudo unveiling for me. She was covered in plastic and taped down so most of the shop dust would be kept out. When that plastic came off, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. So Tony asked Kevin to back her out.

And sure enough I went straight into my Gomer Pyle look... Blank stare... Jaw dropped to the floor... Couldn't utter an intelligent sound for a while...

We've all heard people say that "Pictures don't really do it justice"... That's the case with Pandora as well.
    In the pictures, she looks great. In person, she just doesn't look real. I couldn't believe that it was my car.
    And she looks exactly as I have always seen her in my minds eye.

I really like the way the new style of mesh looks. I think it gave it more of an OEM look and feel.

After an hour of walking around staring, I went home, and had a nice glass of wine, and calmed myself back down.

Wow.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 01-28-2017 at 11:57 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Awesome is such an overused word. It should be reserved for things like this.

I hope you have room in your living room for her. That car should not have to stay in a garage.

Really happy for you. The final result certainly looks like it's worth all the extra effort.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Grail Has Been Found!

WOW!
    Thank you. I really appreciate the positive comments that you've sent my way. It means more than you know. I remember when you started your build and thinking that it would be fun to follow along and watch you implement the ideas that you had in mind. And I was right.

AMAZING!

Almost time for the 485!

Enjoy!
    I am hoping to have a representative from the NC State Patrol / (NCDOT) come in and re-perform the inspection to get the registration part of this puzzle completed. (This had been done before, when the car was at Jeff Collin's shop). As soon as we get that squared away, we'll be making a few shakedown runs to make sure that we don't have any engine, brakes, or hydraulic lift leaks, and that the cooling system stays constant. It's getting very close, and I am getting very excited about the prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by carbon fiber View Post
    It looks oem to me. It changes the rear view of the car for the better, no more double hump roofline. Looking good, won't be long now.
    Thank you Jason. The car took on a whole new feel when I saw the painted and completed hatch, installed. It matches the body lines very nicely, and it's 100% functional. It does what it is designed to do. It dissipates heat quickly and completely. Tony and Kevin really worked the hatch and the body to make sure that everything fit, and was perfectly flush with all panels. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dallas_ View Post
    Awesome is such an overused word. It should be reserved for things like this.

I hope you have room in your living room for her. That car should not have to stay in a garage.

Really happy for you. The final result certainly looks like it's worth all the extra effort.
    Wow...! That sure put a smile on my face. I mean, Wow...! Thank you.

The goal is to make sure that the garage space is as nice as the finished product that Pandora is turning out to be. But yes, she'll be relegated to the garage instead of the living room. LOL.

I really appreciate the support here. I really think that, besides the fact that I'm just stubborn (according to my wife), the people here have really made it easy to get through the low spots, and celebrate the highs. And there have been a lot of both along the way. I said for a while that I was done with custom builds. But I think that I have a better educated feel for the process, and can see diving into another fairly soon. I have 3 projects that I would like to take on, but will likely be one at a time.

We'll see.

Thank you guys. I appreciate it, and I know that Tony, Kevin, Rodney, and Kenny do also.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 01-28-2017 at 03:30 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast