BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,040 of 2016

Thread: More progress made on the body : )

Post Thanks / Like

I found a smaller set of a/c vents that I'm thinking of using in place of the Ford vents that I've been working around. The Ford vents are just too big for what we need to do. So... Hello Billet Specialties...

Mike
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RumRunner View Post
    Mike,

I know you already have your head unit - but - there are several new versions out now that are digital media receivers - no CDs or DVDs, just AM/FM plus Bluetooth/Pandora/Ipod/Iphone/Android. If you can give up CDs and DVDs, the units themselves are only about 3" deep. MUCH easier to fit. Here's an example:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_333ASTR...OID-Smart.html

Just a thought.

-Michael
    Noooooowwwwww you tell me....!

That looks pretty cool. I'm not married to the CD/DVD. I'll more than likely be using the iPod or Sirius/XM radio anyway. My feeling right now is that I already have everything wired for the Pioneer system that you see in the pics. not sure how much that really matters. I'll know by the end of this week if my current head unit will fit. If not, I'll be digging into this a little deeper.

Thanks Michael.
    Last edited by The Stig; 09-07-2014 at 08:34 AM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like we finally got the delivery from Italy that we've been waiting for...

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh baby, so nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am actually getting excited to see the end result.
    Your interior is turning out awesome!!!
    Cheers,
    Dave

GTM # 294 Build Start Date 10/12/2009,
    2000 C5 Donor, LS-1 Twin Turbo, AC/Heat, G50-20.02 6 speed, Brandwood Cable shifter
    Build site. http://s679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/dfraser/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser D View Post
    I am actually getting excited to see the end result.
    Your interior is turning out awesome!!!
    I am too...! Believe me!

Thanks,

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I stopped by Custom Stitching today. When I walked in and saw that the console aluminum had been removed, I
    got a little nervous. Then I realized what I was looking at...

It looks as though the sub-box has been built and test fitted. It was also run to make sure that the speaker throw
    didn't make contact with anything that it shouldn't.

Hybrid Audio 6.5" subs perform as well or better than most 10 - 12" subs. Since the GTM is without any space what so
    ever, I decided to go this route with the speakers and subs.

It's a tight fit; but it fits... It will be secured in place. The console panel will be re-installed using nutserts and #8 screws
    placed about every other rivet hole. That way they can be easily removed if needed. It'll be bonded again with silicone
    in order to help prevent rattles and/or vibrations. The Audio guy is coming back early next week to "tune" the system
    to the car.

Pioneer (AVIC-Z140BH) Head Unit:
    CD & DVD playback, Sirius/XM radio, iPhone-5 blue tooth link, iPod connector, and Navigation.

Speakers are from Hybrid Audio. You've never heard such clear music come from such small speakers.

(2) 5 1/4" mid range (Legatia Stage V)
    (2) 1" tweeter (Legatia Stage V)
    (2) 3" mid range (Legatia Stage V)
    (1) 6.5" Sub-woofer Clarus

(1) Arc-Audio 880 watt amp

The head unit will be laid back as far as possible. I want it flush mounted to the console cover insert. But the Sub-box
    may be a little tall to allow for the connectors on the rear of the head unit. So we may end up compromising by cutting
    the angle in half. That way that unit will not be sticking up so high out of the console.

Deep Breath... Exhale... Repeat...

I was able to see the trim panels for the rear window and the head liner. It's pretty cool how Steve has worked all the
    different "layers" of panels and upholstery. There will be no visible screws in the upholstery! Nice and clean.

We pulled one of the hides out to take a look at it, and I have to say it's almost too nice to use. It's some of the softest
    leather I've ever felt. Especially for a car...

I am really happy with how everything is coming together.

Stay tuned...

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 09-14-2014 at 09:47 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Well... I got a bit of disappointing news today... I have to delay or possibly scratch one of my most important Items off my "GTM bucket list" today.

When I decided to build this car, I really wanted my car to be shown at the Charlotte Auto-Fair with Factory Five & Whitby. Not sure if that will happen or not.

I had also quietly hoped to have it included in Factory Five's display at SEMA. But I guess it wasn't to be. Tony sent a message earlier today, to let me know that they didn't have any room left in the display.

But... We're still planning to go to the Huntington Beach Cruise in, and try to do our West cost road trip, Carlisle, and Finally take my GTM to Charlotte Cars & Coffee in 2015 though. That will be pretty cool.

I'll call Reliable Carriers and start changing up the plans to send it to the West Coast around the Huntington Beach Cruise-In time frame.

Now back to previously scheduled programming...

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 09-16-2014 at 07:52 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you ever thought of changing your forum name to "The $tig"?
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    Have you ever thought of changing your forum name to "The $tig"?
    But I don't weld for money...
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    With the Sub Box in place, we were able to adjust the head unit a bit. We couldn't lay it back to fit flush. But we were able to cut the angle in half, and reduce the amount that sticks up out of the console. It's tough to steal space when there is none to steal. But Steve's doing a great job finding it where-ever he can.

As you can see, the unit was moved down a little into the console. The circle marks the spot where the mounting box was originally welded into place.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 09-19-2014 at 10:08 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike-

Still looking crazy awesome! I wouldn't worry about the plans that had to be changed. Keeping your eye on the prize as you have been for so long is the important thing.

When your car is done, I think almost everything else will be forgotten; as long as you burn the receipts before you total them!

I can't wait to see her all done, and I know you can't! Please keep us updated, and dibs on a ride. Hang tough!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    The initial foam has been laid for the door panels. And the sculpting begins...

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Mike-

Still looking crazy awesome! I wouldn't worry about the plans that had to be changed. Keeping your eye on the prize as you have been for so long is the important thing.

When your car is done, I think almost everything else will be forgotten; as long as you burn the receipts before you total them!

I can't wait to see her all done, and I know you can't! Please keep us updated, and dibs on a ride. Hang tough!

Regards,

Steve
    Too late... There will be no forgetting.

I already know the total... And Cheney was right; If I had just gone ahead and bought the Veyron, I would have had money left over. But Nooooooooo...! I had to have a GTM.

Maybe a slight hint of sarcasm...

But seriously, I'm just trying to build the best car that I am able to.

Take care,

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 09-23-2014 at 06:58 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    So, here's an early look of the shape that the door panels are taking.

Mike likes!
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    So, here's an early look of the shape that the door panels are taking.

Mike likes!

It’s fun watching the transformation from idea to sketches to tangible progress.
    I really like the direction that your interior is going.
    Cheers,
    Dave

2000 C5 Donor, LS-1 Twin Turbo, AC/Heat, G50-20.02 6 speed, Brandwood Cable shifter

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser D View Post
    It’s fun watching the transformation from idea to sketches to tangible progress.
    I really like the direction that your interior is going.
    Thanks Dave. It's been fun for me also. I drove up to the shop and was excited to see that Steve had all of the interior panels in place. It was pretty cool to see how everything if coming together, and how it all flows. The doors are closer to being finished and are blending well with the dash. The console is really looking nice as well. Everything seems to be working.

There is still some "fine tuning" that needs to be done, but it's taking a nice shape. I was surprised when I opened the door and felt how much more solid it felt.

The angles of the console and dash is matched by the leading edge of the door panel recessed panel.

The dash and the a pilar blend well. The are also blending well with the door panel, though there is still a little work to be done to get them finished up.

I love the flow of the dash and console. The console cover was re-installed covering the sub woofer box. It's a little hard to tell, but there are beauty panels for the foot box have been installed. There will be a cover for the heater fan as well. There will also be under dash close out panels (also covered in leather).

Last edited by The Stig; 09-26-2014 at 09:12 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

As you can see the Dash, Door, and A-Pilar all meet in a nice tight joint that flows well from one to the other. The top side door foam will be shaved a little more in order to help the visual line from the rear of the door, moving into the dash. Also, since were able to re-position the audio head unit, we have a little more room to fit the original A/C vents. Two of these 3 3/8" vents, versus 3 of the Billet Specialties 2 1/2" vents...

The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool Mike. Your interior is going to be special. Thanks for sharing the progress.

John
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks John. It's becoming fun again! It'll be done before too long.

I'm looking forward to taking it out for a Saturday morning Bonsai (I mean Shakedown) run around Charlotte. Soon!

I had an opportunity to compare my GTM to a Ferrari F430 this weekend. Pam bought me a "Ferrari experience" through Motorsports Labs. They brought an F430, a 360, and a Lamborghini Gallardo. Basically you run a few laps around an abbreviated autocross course at pretty much whatever speed you're comfortable with...

It was brief, but fun. And I had been wanting to drive an F430 so I could get an idea of any similarities and/or differences between it and the GTM. I was really surprised by the sensation that the front wheel were so close to my knees. There seems to be a little more room in the GTM. (At least it feels that way to me).

I do have to say that the F430 has some SERIOUSLY good brakes. You can haul that car down from high speeds to 10 mph in just seconds. It felt very secure.

After driving it I have come to three conclusions...

1. I really don't care a whole lot for "F1" paddle shifters. I prefer a shifter. (I guess I'm still too old school...)
    2. I thought I wanted to own a Ferrari 430 in the not so distant future. Not so much any more. Don't get me wrong, I still love the car... But, driving it, helped me to realize that I really like my GTM better.
    3. The F430 has always been one of the worlds most raved about Supercars, but I have no doubt at all, that the GTM can be much quicker. If I can make my car hold corners under heavy power like the Ferrari, the GTM would really give it a serious run for it's money.

Pam shot a video with her phone, that I am in the process of uploading to you-tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx1Jp3qPRDs

Motorsports Labs, also runs a Go-Pro video of your drive. I was told that I'll have that in about a week. I'll post it when I can.

When I first found out that Pam had purchased this for my birthday, I was a little hesitant. But all in all, it turned out to be fun.

Take care,

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 09-29-2014 at 11:43 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    The console is making a little more progress. When I got to the shop, I was surprised to see that a design change had been implemented, that i didn't know anything about. Instead of using the round A/C dash vents, we are now using a more oem vent. If i had known that we needed to go this route, I believe that I would have used a set of Aston Martin vents that are flat, instead of round. But with that said, the new vents look really good, in my opinion.

Here are a couple of pictures to show how it's coming along.

From the top, looking down, the upper section looks huge to me. But it's actually an illusion. The new style vent allows that section to fit much lower than the standard round vents would have.

From the Driver's side... You get an idea of the contour that has been shaped into the piece. Another illusion is the length of the shifter arm. Since the console panel sits on top of another (thin) panel, the shifter arm looks as if it has been shortened. With the leather boot cover, and the UCC shift knob that I am planning to use, it'll look very compact and streamlined, yet give a full range of motion through the shifts.

Billet aluminum Ford GT styled switches will be used for the Windows, Hazard Lights, Hydraulic Lift, and Fog Lights. There will be a "beauty cover" that will fit over the switches and integrate to the Head unit surround. Below the shifter will be the Vintage air control knobs, and below that will be the push button start.

As you can see, the piece has been covered with filler, and sanded smooth. This particular piece will be painted and cleared to a high gloss, to match the color of the gauges. Sort of a titanium gray. I think it is going to look great; especially in contrast with the platinum gray leather on the dash and console.
    Last edited by The Stig; 10-04-2014 at 01:05 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    The door sills are getting some attention as well. New covers have been fabbed that fit over the original aluminum. This is to give a flat and clean surface to apply the carpet and leather to. initial work has been done for the seat belt retractor covers. In the picture, it looks like it was started and then forgotten. But the seats occupy pretty much all of the space from side to side; so this cover is meant to hide the area that you can still see when the seats are in place. They'll be covered in leather as well.

Replacement Sill on the Left. Original Sill on the Right.

The door sills, tank covers, and rear window will all be formed in a way to help seal the interior of the car from the heat, smells, and noise (as much as possible) from the engine compartment. The upper area where the window aluminum "wraps" around the roll bar, will also be closed off by the rear panel and the way the roll bar cover meets the rear panel. That should eliminate a good bit of the harsh sounds and smells. Maybe not all; but a lot.
    Last edited by The Stig; 10-06-2014 at 09:30 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    The door panels have been skimmed in "filler" and sanded smooth as well. As you can see, the form for the speaker grill is being shaped and fitted. The grill itself will be pressed into the shape of the form and will give a nice smooth appearance, instead of having the speakers exposed. You can also see in this picture the insert for the door pull just ahead of the handle opening. We originally thought of using billet aluminum piece that would connect the upper and lower sections of the door panel, but using these "cups" are less invasive to the seats and legs.

The filler that Steve is using on the the panels is not the same material that you would use on your body panels when prepping for paint. This is a new formula that is preferred for interior work due to its light weight. You might think that all the panels and parts that have been created and used in this interior project would add a considerable amount of weight to the car. So far we've only added less than 50 pounds of additional weight, not counting the seats. The seats will probably be about 15 pounds each. So we're expecting a cost of about 75 to 80 pounds of total additional weight when all is said and done. Maybe a shade less. And since this is going to be a street car, and not a track car, I'm willing to give up a small amount of weight to be a little more comfortable inside.

Last edited by The Stig; 10-04-2014 at 12:50 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mike,

I love seeing your updates. They are doing an outstanding job and I can tell that your audio guy is knowledgeable and skilled. MDF baffles for your drivers, template cut grill frames. Can't wait to see and hear it.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VD2021 View Post
    Mike,

I love seeing your updates. They are doing an outstanding job and I can tell that your audio guy is knowledgeable and skilled. MDF baffles for your drivers, template cut grill frames. Can't wait to see and hear it.
    Hi Vidal! Great to hear from you! Yes: I was convinced early on, that the members of the interior team were pros, and certainly didn't need me to pretend that I knew more than they did... Because I don't...

I feel comfortable to be able to stand back and let them do their thing and accept input from me from time to time, in terms of the look and feel that I want to achieve. It was a good decision for me to put my trust in Steve to do this work. He still seems excited about the project too! I guess it takes a lot more than this to burn him out. That's a good thing.

From what I understand, he's getting some fairly heavyweight followers on his face book page. So that's sort of cool too. I'm not a face-book or twitter person, so I don't really know what goes on there.

I do know that I'm happy with where things are headed, and I definitely feel that the money that I have spent was fair and well worth it. I'd recommend Steve to anyone wanting high quality interior work at a fair price.

Thanks, and take care Buddy!

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 10-04-2014 at 01:20 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I almost forgot to mention... The words were actually said, that the Leather and Alcantara will start going onto the panels now that they have been prepped and test fitted. So it seems that we are still on track for getting this project done in the very near future. I can't count the number of times that the panels have gone in, then been taken out and adjusted, and then re-installed. But that's also one of the coolest parts of this interior build. the panels and dash can all be removed without tearing anything apart. They are all made to be removed with no drama, whenever necessary.

I'm pretty stoked about it all.

Mike

Last edited by The Stig; 10-04-2014 at 03:15 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Getting very close now Mike :-)
    The different parts are starting to look very refined.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a teaser shot of the switch cover. It will butt against the flat side of the console above the shifter, and angle down to the leading edge just below the head unit.

Obviously, the switches will line up when they are installed.

Last edited by The Stig; 10-06-2014 at 09:06 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Not much to share this week. Steve's doing a couple of "side jobs" for a couple of Carolina Panthers. Some quarterback named Cam, and a guy named DeAngelo. No surprise that these guys drive muscle cars. I think Cam rolls in a Chevelle SS, and DeAngelo is driving a 69 Camaro. Pretty cool stuff. I mean, you just can't get a better car-guy name than CAM. Sorry, I don't have pictures.

Another interesting note...

As we were getting ready to leave the shop, Pam looked at Steve and said, "I'll bet you'll be glad to get this Blue thing out of the way, and open up some shop space for the next project. Steve told her that he would like to keep the car in his shop for a few days after it's finished, because he says that he has a growing list of people (potential clients) who would really like to see it when it's finished. He didn't say who...

But to be honest, the thought had never crossed my mind that anyone would have seen it other than here in these posts, or in the CSC Facebook page. Sounds like there may be a small three or four car show at The Custom Stitching Co. Go figure.

The next large project going into the shop, is a very sweet car built by Bill Phillips of Lake Norman. The 33 Hot Rod crowd would know him as "Rumbles" here on the Factory Five Forum. So his car will be at the shop at about the same time...

Sounds like it could be fun times.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 10-14-2014 at 07:01 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

The Doors, Dash, Seats, and Console all integrated. You may notice a hole in the engine cover. That would be a sliding panel that will cover the cup holders.

The dog-house has been built out with foam, in order to fill in the visual gaps between the seats. When its smoothed and covered, I think it'll look nice.

A little build up to smooth the gap between the console and the base panel.

Driver's side door panel, mocked into position.

The cluster has been taped up to protect it while the pod is being put in and taken out.

Headliner and halo cover was sent out for "body work" to prep for covering. The hides are coming out any time now; So I hear.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 10-19-2014 at 08:19 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing the pics, crazy progress.

I want to cuss, that last pic looks sick!

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL!!! I know what you mean. I've wanted to cuss quite a few times through this build.

But I've learned a lot about what it really takes to build a car like this. The pictures can be deceiving. You look at them, and it appears that there is still another TON of work that needs to be done. But it is really close to being finished. I asked for two changes to be made this weekend. I hated to do it to him, but they were necessary for me.

One had to do with the door panel at my shoulder. It was crowding me a little, so I asked to have it rolled a little in order to take away a corner that was certainly going to be an issue.

The other had to do with the kick panels. I needed to make sure that there was as much foot room as possible on the driver & passenger sides. I don't have to tell anyone here, that this car comes with major challenges in the foot space department, so I couldn't afford to let it get crowded even more. So we're re-working the panels on each side. I have a sneaking suspicion that it may create another issue, but we'll see in a day or so.

I appreciate the kind words Gene. It's coming along, almost exactly as I have envisioned: or at least as close to it as this car will allow me to get.

Thank you! Enjoy SEMA.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 10-20-2014 at 01:27 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    You are going to just mold the entire interior and make copies for all of us, right?

This is exciting to see come so far!

I am happy for you and jealous. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mmaragos View Post
    You are going to just mold the entire interior and make copies for all of us, right?

This is exciting to see come so far!

I am happy for you and jealous. LOL
    LOL! Thank you!

I can't wait to see this mini project completed. I think it's really going to be something else. It'll be fun to just sit in it, much less drive it.

Actually, Steve had originally thought of doing something like that. In the course of the conversation, I told him that there are only 400 to 500 that have been sold, and that would be his market. He quickly changed his mind shortly afterwards. I can't say that I blame him for that.

This has been quite the "mini project". It's been worth it though. And it has been fun to work through; at least for me.
    Last edited by The Stig; 10-21-2014 at 07:30 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

The door panel has been reshaped a little to relive the area where my should come in contact with the door.

This is steve sitting in the car to get an idea of whether or not this change will help my shoulder or not...

The turtle is gone! The gauge pod is being reshaped.
    Last edited by The Stig; 10-21-2014 at 08:52 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, I am completely happy with my interior. If I tear it out and do what your doing I'm going to come hunt you down. I have a feeling I'm going to freak out when that's done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fastthings View Post
    Mike, I am completely happy with my interior. If I tear it out and do what your doing I'm going to come hunt you down. I have a feeling I'm going to freak out when that's done.
    LOL!!! I've not really thought about it that way... My goal for this car all along was to build the exterior true to Factory Five's design without noticeable changes or mods. But the interior of the car was where I planned to splurge a little. I like FFR's design as well. I just wanted to do something different in my car. So far, I think it has been worth the investment. I have to say also, that it has been a blast watching how Steve gets creative in his ability to meet the design goals, and overcome space limitations. We've both had to make compromises, but we're getting there.

You said that you might freak out when it's done... I think I may freak out THAT it's done...!

Thanks for the positive comments. They're very much appreciated.

Fun times.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    The engine cover is about ready to be covered. Steve made a sliding cover for storage/cup holders. A little leather and trim work, and it's finished.
    I think that the slide will be painted or dyed to match the color of the alcantara.

Kick panels are close to being finished up as well. Speakers will be adjusted a bit.

Door Panels are getting closer. Speaker grills will be pressed and installed this week; I think.

The dash is back out of the car being finish prepped for leather. There should be some finished leather covered panels to show in the next few days.

The headliner and roll-bar covers, and a-pillar covers are ready to be covered and installed.

I'm going to drop in tomorrow, and find out what the plan is for the week.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 10-23-2014 at 09:53 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,
    You may want to get them to touch up the protective tape in some of the areas where it appears to have been worn away on the door sills etc. Its looking good and I can't image how great it must feel being so close to finally having the car you've put so much time and effort into, I can't wait to see the final product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking very good mike!

Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast