FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,120 of 2016

Thread: More progress made on the body : )

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nothing a set of matching driving gloves won't prevent....
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Next on the list is the engine cover. We got the leather back from the embroiderer today.

Steve suggested that we think about using a version of the GTM logo on the cover. I didn't really want to do the Factory Five logo, because I already have it on the intake cover. So he had them copy the GTM emblems on the wheels. It's stitched in the same color as the leather to keep it subtle.

It should be placed just a tad below the center of the upper "square", if that makes any sense...

Last edited by The Stig; 12-03-2014 at 09:52 PM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VD2021 View Post
    Nothing a set of matching driving gloves won't prevent....
    Amen Brother! Tell it all...!!!

How are you doing Buddy?

Mike
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if he has the pennies left over for driving gloves after all this!

Post Thanks / Like

The GTM is in it's final week at The Custom Stitching Co.

The console cover will be painted, cleared, and polished this week. The seats are in the car in this picture, but they have been removed and disassembled for the last time, and the covers are in the process of being stitched.

I called the Cable Shift guy, and he's is making a shifter rod that is one inch taller. That way, my hand shouldn't hit the switches when I shift.

The hand-brake cover, and shifter boot are next in line.

The brushed aluminum handles, and trim really help to break up the multiple shades of gray.

This gauge cluster is what the entire interior of this car was designed around. All I knew is that I wanted to use it, and everything else would have to be made to fit along with it. I think we got things pretty close.
    Last edited by The Stig; 12-06-2014 at 12:14 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a nice picture of the door panel.

The "storage" tray that will sit under the engine cover slider.

Here you can see the embroidered GTM logo on the engine cover. It looks pretty cool to me!

I was able to hear the audio system for the first time, and all I can say is... Wow!!! It really sounded great!

Believe it or not, this was actually the first Metallica song I've listened to from start to finish. And it sounded freakin' awesome.
    Last edited by The Stig; 12-06-2014 at 12:43 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz Rules View Post
    I don't know if he has the pennies left over for driving gloves after all this!
    I still have a few... Maybe for a nice pair of Isotoner's... In some shade of gray. Sounds like a Christmas present for me, from me.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,

The interior looks stunning! I have been following your build through its multiple trials and tribulations, and from I what I can see, the wait (pain?) was worth it. I know during the process things can feel bogged down and slow, but once you drive your car you will forget all that and never feel slow again! The shop that's doing your interior has done an exceptionally good job. It's nice to see craftsmen that take pride in their work.

Fabulous!

-Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Bet your starting to feel better about trading in your Bugatti Veyron for this!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RumRunner View Post
    Mike,

The interior looks stunning! I have been following your build through its multiple trials and tribulations, and from I what I can see, the wait (pain?) was worth it. I know during the process things can feel bogged down and slow, but once you drive your car you will forget all that and never feel slow again! The shop that's doing your interior has done an exceptionally good job. It's nice to see craftsmen that take pride in their work.

Fabulous!

-Michael
    Michael, Thank You! You're right, there have been times when I wondered when I would get through all the different things that I've put into this car, and all the highs and lows that have come along with it. It took me a long while,but I finally realized that these types of issues come along with this sort of project.

When I started working with Steve, the build got a lot more fun for me. For two resons... I was finally 100% involved in the design and execution again. And I am working with someone who is honest above all else, and is extremely talented and a true craftsman. I could not be more happy with how it's all coming together. He has absolutely surpassed my expectations.

Again, Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by fact5racer View Post
    Bet your starting to feel better about trading in your Bugatti Veyron for this!
    Gary...! It's good to hear from you! LOL, yep... I'm feeling pretty good about the car again. As far as the trade from the Veyron to the GTM, I would like it more if it wasn't such a 1 to 1 trade...

Looks like I may finally be able to make it up to the open house, the year. It would be awesome if we could get together and take the cars out for a run at some point.

I'll talk talk to you soon.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I just made reservations at the Hilton - Waterfront Beach Resort in Huntington Beach for the Cruise-In.

Come hell or high water... Pam, myself, and the completed GTM will be there this year!

I'm really looking forward to meeting my West Coast friends!

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 12-10-2014 at 04:15 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that's commitment. I guess there will be at least 2 GTMs there this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sk7500 View Post
    Now that's commitment. I guess there will be at least 2 GTMs there this year.
    I have the tickets for Pam and I to fly out. Looking for a carrier to take the car out and deliver on the prior Friday. There are still some logistics to work out as far as this goes. But it'll get locked down as soon as I figure out who to use.

We'll be there.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Getting closer every day...

Here's a picture of the console cover after being painted. (Titanium Gray). It really came out clean.

Just to give an idea of the colors. This cover is really going to pop against the leather panels.

The seats are coming along nicely as well. Here's a picture of one of the seat bottoms to show the stitching and design.

The Drivers side foot box cover and painted speaker ring. The speaker grills will be painted the same color as the console cover.

It really looks clean when the lower dash close out panels and the fuse box cover are installed.

Steve says that he has the Tank Covers, Engine Cover, and Seat-belts in the car; as well as the side panels, and rear quarter window close outs.

Sean, the audio pro, came out again and started tuning the system. Apparently I have a concert hall in my GTM now... Who knew? He's supposed to come back by and finalize the settings after the Windshield in re-installed.

Ross Frick, the Porsche Guru and electrical pro, has been working on the interior lighting to get it scaled just right. Ross is the person who took the time to Re-wire the GTM for me, and make sure that everything is done as it should have been the first time.

I can't wait to drop by the shop and see how everything looks tomorrow.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 12-12-2014 at 08:26 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Very professional, it looks absolutly unafordable. I am so impressed.

Did I spell any of that right? LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fastthings View Post
    Very professional, it looks absolutly unafordable. I am so impressed.

Did I spell any of that right? LOL
    LOL!!! As far as I'm concerned you did! And I'm going to take that as a compliment...

Thank you.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

The Speaker frames are back and the grills have been painted. It looked cool so I took a few pictures.

The engine cover turned out awesome. The tank covers have been covered with felt lining in order to smooth it out, and prep it to be covered.

The new seat belts are in: they were color matched to the leather.

Last edited by The Stig; 12-12-2014 at 10:45 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

It's looking pretty clean in there again.

The door pulls are painted and installed. The inside of the "cups" are flocked to give them a much more finished look.

The opening above the door handle pull is the opening for the LED lights that light up when the doors are opened.

I was standing behind the car, and I saw the panels through the rear window. It looks cool to see the transition from the door panel to the foot box panel. I'm really liking the color contrast of the speaker grills.

Cool stuff!
    Last edited by The Stig; 12-13-2014 at 08:49 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Sigh.
    I have leather envy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just keeps gettin' better!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz Rules View Post
    Sigh.
    I have leather envy.
    Thank's Taz. You know, It's funny... My wife used to kid around with Steve about wanting to see leather on the panels. Now she goes straight to the car to touch the leather on the seats or the door panels, or the dash, etc. It really is pretty soft though. So I can't really blame her.

Quote Originally Posted by Stage7 View Post
    Just keeps gettin' better!
    Hi Buddy! Thanks. I am so ready to be able to post some "finished" pictures, that show the entire interior installed. It's so close... I think that Steve's ready for it to be done also. He's been working it pretty hard for a while now. A lot of late nights and weekends.

Stay tuned...!

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike
    Yours is going to be the best interior ever. With all you have gone thru to get there you deserve it.
    Just super
    Leonard

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought it would be a good idea to provide som UV protection for the Leather and Alcantara. So Steve put me in touch with a local company that handles a bit of the high-end stuff in the Charlotte area. I am not a fan of the Blacked-out look as far as windows go, but I do like a smoked look. So we went with a Ceramic tint that will block UV rays and reflect heat away from the interior. The look is that smoky look that darkens the glass a little, but still allows you to see in and out easily.

The doors and quarter windows have what you see. The Windshield will have a clear ceramic Tint that also reflects UV and heat, but remains virtually clear.

It's kind of tough to tell by the picture, but I think it's going to look nice.

As yet another teaser, you can see the finished seat in the passenger side.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lrt1941 View Post
    Mike
    Yours is going to be the best interior ever. With all you have gone thru to get there you deserve it.
    Just super
    Leonard
    Thank you Leonard. Much appreciated!

I'm honestly not sure that I have gone through any more than anyone else that takes on a project like this. But I can say for certain that it has taught me a different way to approach how I trust people.

I've always been the type to trust people, no matter what, until they give me a reason not to. That approach has definitely changed. I'm still willing to trust, but it comes with a bit more caution now.

It's sort of sad, but it's the reality behind the business of building one of these cars. People just aren't always what they want you to believe. Nor what you might want them to be. That's also sad.

With this interior project coming to it's completion, I feel comfortable saying that The Custom Stitching Co, owned by Steve Kurzman, is one of the good honest companies that you can put your trust into. I'd certainly recommend them to anyone interested in going this route.

I don't mean to go off on another tangent. But I've noticed quite a few people that have made comments about all the things that I've "endured" or "had to go through" during the course of this project. And it is true that I have run across two or three situations where the owners of those company's will never have to worry about whether I will darken their doorway again... But I don't feel that it has happened any differently for me than it has for any other builder in the pages of the forums in this website. I have no doubt, that anyone here has a few stories of their own that they could tell.

It's just the world we live in, combined with eager but novice builders, jumping head first into a dream and an industry that we didn't know a whole lot about beforehand.

Sometimes, you really do have to learn the hard way.

But I do have to say again, Thank you. Having gotten the car to this point (finally), it means more than you can know, to to hear the kind words that you and others here (that I respect so much) have sent my way.

Take care Buddy.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 06-05-2015 at 08:59 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    The shop is closed for the weekend. But Steve sent a picture (teaser) of the seat installed into the GTM.

I hear I'm getting my GTM back for Christmas...!

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    That will be something to enjoy, I bet it doesn't seem real. I can't wait to see some nice completion photos.
    Steve and his crew did a nice job, I hope the car came out undamaged, very hard for them to do so much work in such a hard, tight little spot.

Well done, man that's nice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    I hear I'm getting my GTM back for Christmas...!

Mike
    As long as Santa doesn't expect to get a drive, you don't want any of that red suit rubbing off onto the leather seats. Looks like your getting the best Christmas present available.

Can't wait to see the finished photos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xatudor View Post
    As long as Santa doesn't expect to get a drive, you don't want any of that red suit rubbing off onto the leather seats. Looks like your getting the best Christmas present available.

Can't wait to see the finished photos.
    LOL...! I'm afraid that Ole' Santa might have a tough time wedging himself into this one. I fit into it because it was pretty much built around me.

There will be quite a few pictures that really display the completed interior, when it's done.

Take Care!

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fastthings View Post
    That will be something to enjoy, I bet it doesn't seem real. I can't wait to see some nice completion photos.
    Steve and his crew did a nice job, I hope the car came out undamaged, very hard for them to do so much work in such a hard, tight little spot.

Well done, man that's nice!
    Hi Gene,

Thank you again! You're right; I can't believe that it has finally gotten to this point. Your getting close also. I'm looking forward to seeing yours when it's done. Your videos have allowed me to feel that I was part of your build...

Steve was very careful working in and around the car. He truly believes in leaving things in better shape than when he started. He has worked around Hot Rods, Street Rods, and Classics for quite a white, and treats other people's cars with the respect that you would expect.

By the way, Gary Cheney came up with an awesome idea for a driver's suit to keep the seats clean... Maybe I'll keep it to myself and surprise everyone.

Of course, being "The Stig", I should pretty much already have my own driver's suit that would work...

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 12-21-2014 at 11:23 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

Almost Done!

Ok... It's not 100%, but it's 99.99%. Just a little finish work to do.

Here are some "finished" pictures to give you an idea of how this interior project came together.

Contacting the Wind shield Installer next week, as well as the window tinting co that did the side windows.

A very nice view, looking into the car.

This shot gives a good idea of the over all look and feel of the interior.
    Last edited by The Stig; 12-26-2014 at 06:07 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by The Stig; 12-26-2014 at 05:43 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by The Stig; 12-26-2014 at 05:32 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by The Stig; 12-26-2014 at 05:56 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

That's all for now...!
    Last edited by The Stig; 12-26-2014 at 05:58 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy @&%#=## Mike. That looks awesome!!!!! Kudos to you for envisioning that interior and for finding the guy with the skills to make it. You are going to have one sweet ride in a very short time.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Dude, that's like, "Damn"!!!!!!!!!

I have some black permanent markers, and melted chocolate; may I sit in your interior for a while?
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve posted a few pictures that he took of the GTM. They were a bit different than mine, so I wanted to add them to the post.

Last edited by The Stig; 12-26-2014 at 10:04 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

The Stig

GTM #0081

Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast