Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,080 of 2016

Thread: More progress made on the body : )

Post Thanks / Like
    So, I have to point out something.
    The location of the driver in your door, it is mostly pointed into the back of the door panel. Now, you might not care so much, which is fine, of course.

With a little more work, hah hah, they could create a new mount for the driver and use the new thickness of the panel to be able to get it away from the bar inside the door, therefor being able to put it into a new position pointed out the hole. You will get a much better sound out of those Hybrid's.

You know I love you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fastthings View Post
    So, I have to point out something.
    The location of the driver in your door, it is mostly pointed into the back of the door panel. Now, you might not care so much, which is fine, of course.

With a little more work, hah hah, they could create a new mount for the driver and use the new thickness of the panel to be able to get it away from the bar inside the door, therefor being able to put it into a new position pointed out the hole. You will get a much better sound out of those Hybrid's.

You know I love you.
    Hi Gene. Steve is working on that as we speak. It shouldn't take much additional effort to reposition the speakers, exactly as you mentioned. When the initial sheet aluminum was cut and put on the door, the speaker was mounted in the general area that they would be mounted. Once the panels were roughed in, and the speaker opening was cut out, it gave us an idea of how they would need to be adjusted. I mentioned it to Steve last Tuesday, and he was already on it. As usual...

So... The 5 1/4 Mid-Range, and the 1" tweeter, will be re-positioned, and mounted in the opening so that they point outwards in an unobstructed path. There will also be a 3" driver mounted in each of the kick panels. Each will have custom pressed grills.

Thanks Buddy!

Mike
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

The foot box of the GTM is tight, at best. We had to be really careful about what we added to that space, and how much foot room it impacted. We will also be placing an aluminum cover in front of the HVAC fan motor. It will have a screen to allow clean air to be pulled into the fan.

I wanted to show a couple of pictures that show how the GTM fits around me, even with the new panels. I'm a little bigger than a lot of guys, and I still feel comfortable in the car.

The seat position is pretty much perfect for me. I'm 6'-0", and have plenty of leg room with my feet on the pedals. I can also stretch out and easily rest my foot behind the pedals.

The close-out / beauty panels for the rear quarter windows look really nice. They'll be covered with alcantara, and will blend into the look of the rest of the interior.

The view of the quarter window close-out / Beauty panel. This will allow the window to be cleaned up and neatly covered. (Even though it won't be easily seen due being blocked by the seats.
    The upper section of the door panel will extend to the lower aluminum panel, and wrap around behind the seats.

For some reason, it really brought a smile to my face to see these... Go figure.

I guess it was just a reminder of the level of detail that Steve constantly puts into the project. Very cool!
    Last edited by The Stig; 10-24-2014 at 10:20 PM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

The dash is back out of the car again going through another round of filler build up, and contour sanding. We've gone through 2 gallons of filler, and are starting on another.
    The gauge pod, is finally getting some attention as well.

For so long, it looked like a turtle shell. Now it's finally looking like the part that it is. The defroster vents are also ready to be installed. You can see a small piece of the close cell foam that will cover the dash panels prior to the application of leather and/or alcantara.

This large aluminum panel, will cover the console aluminum and insulation. This will provide a nice smooth surface to apply the foam layer and leather to.

If I ever need to get into the tunnel to work on anything, I won't have to tear apart the work that Steve has done. I can remove this panel (and/or one on the passenger side) as a single piece, with the upholstery in tact.

Filler is used to help make the sharp edges go away. The will help give a much cleaner look once the foam padding and leather have been applied. Nice, Nice, Nice!!!
    Steve gave me date that he feels this car will be completely finished. But I'm not going to repeat it out loud, or post it here, because I don't want to jinx it.

It's really nice to go to the shop and be able see everything in it's current state, and be able to see the finish line so close.

The final mock up, is just around the corner. Gaps will be worked, and then comes the fun part!

Stay tuned.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 10-24-2014 at 10:02 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, this interior is going to be so SWEEEEEEET!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow Stig- Very creative fab work! I can't wait to see it finished. It's going to be spectacular.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stage7 View Post
    Wow Stig- Very creative fab work! I can't wait to see it finished. It's going to be spectacular.
    Good morning Roberto! Thank you for the kind words. I can't take credit for the fab work; only the picture that I've had in my head from early on, as to what I wanted the interior to look like. Steve Kurzman has done some amazing work in my oppinion, using his creativity and talent to bring my "wish list" to life. He's about as close to dead on as this car will allow.

Dave Smith had actually told me that if my car finished up in time for SEMA that FFR would consider it to be used in the show. We were on track for the car to be ready, but the decision makers said that they didn't want to use it. So we relaxed the schedule a little in order to finish it out the way it should be. Everything happens they way it does for a reason... I guess they figured that we'd be cutting it too close. Who knows?

Steve said that he should be done with all of the finish work on the panels this week. Then a major cleaning is in order to get rid of the dust all over the car and through out the shop. We've heard this a couple of times, but we should start laying leather and alcantara next week, and have the interior finished the week following.

"Rumbles" is patiently waiting for mine to finish so that his can begin...

I've been waiting to see yours when it's done as well. I haven't been online there for a couple of weeks, I guess. How is yours coming along?

It's great to hear from you. i'll send you a couple of pics when it's finished up.

Take Care,

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 11-02-2014 at 11:56 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

The finish trim for the lower surround of the gauges is coming along nicely.

Close out panels for the underside of the dash looks awesome! To me, this really cleans up the bottom side of the dash, and the pedal area. The round section to the left is the fuse box cover. The black piece in the center is the hood release. Very clean, and solid.

As Gene mentioned a few posts back, the door speakers were being heavily blocked by the door panel. Steve re-positioned them so that they are no longer blocked. Nothing but clear tunes now.

I'm having a blast watching this come together.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 10-29-2014 at 07:36 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Show car, I love it. That is going to be so cozy for your wife. I know you are considering her in your design also. She will enjoy the high end interior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fastthings View Post
    Show car, I love it. That is going to be so cozy for your wife. I know you are considering her in your design also. She will enjoy the high end interior.
    It's funny that you mention that... She love's going to the shop with me to see the progress. She'll talk to Steve and he'll explain what he's doing and how he did it. And you can tell that he's pretty proud of the way he implemented some of these things. Pam will be right there with him, and then hit him with: "When are you going to start applying the leather?". For her, she will be able to see the "total picture" when the panels are wrapped. I see the structures and see how my mental picture is coming together from the "bones" out.

I think he has come to expect that question from her each time we are there, so he has sort of made it a joke between them. But she's serious.

So I make it a point to let him know that I appreciate what he has done.

It's been a fun process for both of us.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 10-30-2014 at 08:13 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

The quarter window trim with the built up lower panel allows the design lines from the door to be extended to the
    bulkhead. Also, the rear hatch pull leaver has been integrated into the panel.

The rear window / bulkhead is finished and ready for upholstery pad and alcantara to be applied. The gaps around
    the bulkhead and the roll-bars will be close off as well.

The halo cover, A-Pillars, and dash are all finished up and ready for leather and alcantara. I'm blown
    away by this, every time I see it. Very nice fluid lines integrating one piece to the next. You can also
    see the overhead "map" light that has been added to the cover. There will be additional lighting
    elements that keep it well lit when the doors are open or when we just need a little light in the car.

It's becoming a place where you wouldn't mind spending a bit of time for a decent drive.

Passenger Side view of the halo, and rear window / bulkhead. The rear bulkhead will be well
    sealed and insulated from the engine compartment. A trim piece will transition between the bulkhead panel and the head liner.

It's coming together. This car will be fun to drive.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 11-02-2014 at 08:27 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

The engine cover has been fitted with a small storage area, with a nice little sliding cover.

The Porsche 997 Gauge Cluster looks right at home sitting on the dash.

This looks like the final "mock-up" before the hides come out to play!

Good times...!

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 11-02-2014 at 12:27 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Some custom lighting for the door panels / handles.

This is just another picture of the interior in progress. But it is lit by a florescent light, hanging over the seats. I just thought that it looked sort of cool.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 11-05-2014 at 04:46 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike-

I can't tell you how impressed I am with how this is coming together. It is going to be just stunning!

I am really impressed by the fact that you have been able to keep your vision intact despite the myriad challenges and setbacks you have faced. I just love how all of the details have come together, and it is going to look outrageous!

You are so close, and if I were you, I am not sure I would be able to sleep at night knowing how close it is. I am looking forward to the next couple posts!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Mike-

I can't tell you how impressed I am with how this is coming together. It is going to be just stunning!

I am really impressed by the fact that you have been able to keep your vision intact despite the myriad challenges and setbacks you have faced. I just love how all of the details have come together, and it is going to look outrageous!

You are so close, and if I were you, I am not sure I would be able to sleep at night knowing how close it is. I am looking forward to the next couple posts!

Regards,

Steve
    Thank you Steve. I really appreciate the support. And oddly enough, I am able to sleep well, because this interior project has gone so smoothly.

I can't wait to see these panels covered in leather, or painted. And... we still have the seats that need to be re-designed. I had originally thought that I would do the seats similar to the Ferrari F12 seats. But after talking to Steve this week, he got me to consider a different approach.

This interior has been custom designed to fit the look, feel, and flow of the GTM. And the F12 seats really scream FERRARI.

So we're going to do something that work with the door panels and the lines of the dash/console.

All the panels have been taken out for the last time, and cleaned. The car has been cleaned out again. And the GTM has been unwrapped and cleaned.

I'm thinking that this is a good sign.

Stay Tuned!

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

The padding has been applied and reinstalled for final "mock-up" in order to get an idea of where seam lines should fall.

The console panels will be painted the same color as the gauge bezel. Sort of a titanium gray shade.

The gauge pod is finally looking like a finished piece.

The steering column cover, has been altered a little, to incorporate the L.E.D. display for the radar detector. This will be covered in alcantara, and should look pretty nice.
    Last edited by The Stig; 11-08-2014 at 09:12 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

Where you see the black padding, will be covered in leather. Below that will be carpet.
    Using the wool carpet in these areas will make the angles in the console aluminum soften up considerably.

The transitions between the roll bar covers and the head liner is really tight. Alcantara for the headliner, a-pillars, roll bar covers.

The rear bulkhead cover looks pretty nice against the head liner. You can see a few of the "seam" lines that Steve has begun to layout for the stitching of the seat covers.
    Last edited by The Stig; 11-08-2014 at 09:27 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

The ambient lighting in the door panels can be seen in this picture.

The console reaches up onto the dash in a shape that lines up and compliments the wiper "bump" in the hood.

A different view of the steering column cover for the radar detector...

Materials are ready to go onto the panels.
    Last edited by The Stig; 11-08-2014 at 09:40 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW!!!! Mike. You will have one unique GTM. Love the interior. That guy is an artist. Can't wait to see the end result.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kempo View Post
    WOW!!!! Mike. You will have one unique GTM. Love the interior. That guy is an artist. Can't wait to see the end result.
    Hi Hugo! Thank you. Steve really does know his stuff. It's been awesome to work with someone who says that they have the skills to do certain things, and then see them actually do it...

I think that the interior is turning out to be sort of unique. I like it anyway.

Looks like the roof, dash, console, and floors will be covered this week. Then the seats will be finished up.

I'm pretty stoked to see it.

How was SEMA? Sounds like quite a few of the builders went.

Thanks Buddy,

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn but that is one impressive interior!

I can't wait to see it finished!

Post Thanks / Like

Here are the first pictures of the GTM panels getting covered with some nice Italian leather, and German wool carpet. The you can see the seam line marked on the dash. The console insert/cover has been primed and sanded, but will likely be sprayed and sanded again prior to being painted Titanium gray, to match the color of the gauge "rings".

We were originally planning to do part of the dash in leather and the other in alcantara. But... the combination didn't look as good on the dash as it did on paper. So now it will be 100% leather.

The carpet really softens the angles of the console aluminum panels.

The rear bulkhead and headliner have been covered in Alcantara. The roll bar covers will finish off the look.

I was really blown away to see how smooth this headliner looks.
    Last edited by The Stig; 11-14-2014 at 10:11 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a picture of the under-dash close out panel, kick panel, and console. The carpet really blends the angles of the aluminum panels below. It really looks clean. The will be a leather foot pad on the right of the accelerator pedal.

Can you say good-bye aluminum edges? The angles are still there; the are just tougher to see.

Passenger foot box. Lower close out panel. A cover to block the view of the HVAC blower motor.

Finally, we have some covered panels!!!

Stay tuned!!!

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 11-14-2014 at 10:24 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW!!!! This is just amazing the talent this guy has and your vision. How it has all come together is great to see.
    GTM #370
    Car was completed and I have SOLD my car
    http://edgemansgtm.weebly.com/index.html
    Doing what you like is freedom - liking what you do is happiness
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh man. Can't wait to see the final result.

Tech Support Manager, FFR Tony Zullo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great job!!!!!! looks amazing it's going to be a great build ....now that's resale$$$$ keep up the good work..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Hi Hugo! Thank you. Steve really does know his stuff. It's been awesome to work with someone who says that they have the skills to do certain things, and then see them actually do it...

I think that the interior is turning out to be sort of unique. I like it anyway.

Looks like the roof, dash, console, and floors will be covered this week. Then the seats will be finished up.

I'm pretty stoked to see it.

How was SEMA? Sounds like quite a few of the builders went.

Thanks Buddy,

Mike
    Hi Mike,

Sorry for the late reply. SEMA was great. A bunch of us met for dinner we had a great time. Joe mush and my wife Jumped from the sky jump at the stratosphere. Jim (Kalstar) and I were to chicken to jump. At lest now we know who builds cars in my house and who wears the pants.
    Here is Joe's and my wife's jump.

Joe
    http://youtu.be/JTrlJpv2Kek

Noraine
    http://youtu.be/oMyVZ_rV2Es

Hopefully next year you and your car can make it to SEMA. For the looks of it it will definitely be a SEMA quality build. Keep the updates coming.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kempo View Post
    Hi Mike,

Sorry for the late reply. SEMA was great. A bunch of us met for dinner we had a great time. Joe mush and my wife Jumped from the sky jump at the stratosphere. Jim (Kalstar) and I were to chicken to jump. At lest now we know who builds cars in my house and who wears the pants.
    Here is Joe's and my wife's jump.

Joe
    http://youtu.be/JTrlJpv2Kek

Noraine
    http://youtu.be/oMyVZ_rV2Es

Hopefully next year you and your car can make it to SEMA. For the looks of it it will definitely be a SEMA quality build. Keep the updates coming.

Wow... I believe that I would have been sitting right there with you & Jim...

I'm not sure that there is a good enough reason to jump off of a building... Even when you're strapped into a harness.

If I can get the credentials, or ticket, or whatever they call it, to get in, Pam & I will more than likely be at SEMA; with or without the car. Obviously it would be cool to have my car be a part of the FFR display, but I'm not holding my breath.

But with that said, I've always thought that it would be a blast to go and experience it first hand though. Maybe we could get Cheney, and some of the others to come out again. There are so many of you guys that I really want to meet. That in itself would be worth going.

But for now, the car is so close to being finished, and on the road, after 5 years of trying to remain focused & patient.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 11-20-2014 at 10:01 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

We're trying finalize a design for the seats. We've been back and forth from one design to another. Finally we met and laid out 10 ro so photos on a table and talked through pros and cons and finally settled on an idea.

I couldn't really see the design without the original trim lines getting in the way... So I drew it out.

This is what we are going with. In the drawing, the stitches jump out at you. But the actual stitch is only one shade lighter than the alcantara. So the design will be there without screaming at you. The same design can be seen in the door panels.

The lines of the door panel will be carried across the two insert panels. Both inserts will be covered in alcantara, and the designs will run from the door handle back as shown. There will be a nice piece of aluminum trim that breaks up the two panels.

Carpet is being fit into place. It's really beginning to look like a "finished" interior. Steve said that he plans to make up a nice set of floor mats to help protect the floors.

The design shown on the seat will be changed to the one above. Steve laid the alcantara across the seat to get a feel what the textures and colors will look like in the car. The under-panels are done.

The gauge pod was in the process of being covered when we got to the shop. The Console panel and lower gauge cluster insert are being painted, cleared, and polished a nice titanium gray, which will be a great contrast to the fabrics and brushed aluminum.

The Audio guy will be out this week to tune the system, and give it a "dry run".

Ross, (R & L Customs) will be out to finish the install and set up of the interior lighting throughout the car. It will be well lit by "cool light" LEDs.

I think it's really coming together well.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 11-22-2014 at 04:53 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, that looks fine!

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve sent a couple of teaser pictures of the dash today.

The Dash, Gauge Cluster cover, and the A-Pillar cover can be seen in this photo.

The Passenger side of the dash along with the foot box.

and the Driver's side...
    Last edited by The Stig; 11-25-2014 at 01:35 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

It's getting closer... And I like it!

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Its coming together Mike!
    Cheers,
    Dave

GTM # 294 Build Start Date 10/12/2009,
    2000 C5 Donor, LS-1 Twin Turbo, AC/Heat, G50-20.02 6 speed, Brandwood Cable shifter
    Build site. http://s679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/dfraser/

Post Thanks / Like
    Another teaser...

Driver's door panel with the speaker grill test fitted. I really like the shape. The wood frame will be sanded, primed, and painted the color of the leather, and then sprayed with a matte clear. The grill will be painted with the same titanium paint that will be used on the console cover, gauges, and door pulls. That should give it just enough contrast that the light colors won't overwhelm the car.

I've said it a few times, but I am really impressed with Steve's work. And I like how this is all finally coming together.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 11-29-2014 at 10:52 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    WOW!!!! This is just amazing the talent this guy has and your vision. How it has all come together is great to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by jceckard View Post
    Oh man. Can't wait to see the final result.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zullo View Post
    Great job!!!!!! looks amazing it's going to be a great build ....now that's resale$$$$ keep up the good work..
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz Rules View Post
    Man, that looks fine!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser D View Post
    Its coming together Mike!
    Thank you guys!

I truly appreciate all the support and kind words throughout this build.

I'm looking forward to just being able to take it out for a lunch run or Cars and Coffee at some point soon.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    That is one unbelievably fine interior!!! It looks like Lambo/McLaren production quality!

Its really cool seeing the progression from idea to fruition. I do have one question, though its a bit nit-picky. You mentioned about a month or so ago that they used 2 gallons of filler on the dash. How much weight is this interior adding? Not that its a big deal, the GTM is so light, you can afford the weight, its just curiosity. Whatever it is, its worth every ounce, I'd say.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Taz,

i know that all of this stuff looks heavy, but it isn't. The door panels are less than 4 lbs each. The covered dash and console, with the gauges, switches, head unit, and sub woofer/box all weigh less than 40 lbs. the seats are about 15 to 17 lbs ea.

So we aren't adding nearly as much weight to the car as it appears.

The filler that he used is very light weight, and most of it was sanded back out.

It's very deceiving. But very strong and very functional.

Take care Buddy.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    The steering wheel has a new look. It's a Momo "Jet" wheel; 350 mm dia.

Hand stitched, and dead even.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Just be aware, that white leather will get tainted with oils from your hands pretty quickly.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    Just be aware, that white leather will get tainted with oils from your hands pretty quickly.
    You're right. I had some reservations about making it the same color as the other surfaces. But, then I decided that if it started to discolor, I would consider having it re-covered with a darker charcoal colored leather.

For now, I'm going to let it ride, and see how I like it.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast