BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,760 of 2016

Thread: More progress made on the body : )

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've been following this build for a while and it is approaching the point of being "Stone Soup" so I hope this is the last change that is made.
    As for my stone soup, I'm so, so, so, so ready to go Go-Karting because my off beat MK-4 is starting to wear on me.
    Good Luck, Gods Speed To Pandora, Happy Hanukkah & Merry Christmas To You All!

https://youtu.be/3f1Q4aS5SG4

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow...! It's that good huh?

Don't worry. Pandora will be on the road, and getting some miles under her belt before any of the suspension changes will be addressed. After a suitable shake down period, I'll go in and make sure that everything is still tight, and that there are no leaks. Any "fixes" that need to be made, will be made then. That's when I plan to switch the suspension assemblies. I only posted the pictures, because it was pretty much the only other thing that will be done to her... Period.

She's pretty much finished when she leaves Tony's shop. So expect some sort of video of her cruising into the sunset before much longer.

Even though the right stones might eventually produce a wonderful soup, maybe we can avoid that particular meal.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 12-19-2016 at 01:38 PM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The Stig,

I'd love to do a GTM, but man your build has got me happy that I'm only doing a MK-4.
    I just don't think I've got the skills to take on a project of this magnitude.
    Can't wait to see this thing re-born.

Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-19-2016 at 02:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    The Stig,

I'd love to do a GTM, but man your build has got me happy that I'm only doing a MK-4.
    I just don't think I've got the skills to take on a project of this magnitude.
    Can't wait to see this thing re-born.

Thank you Steve. I'm looking forward to it as well. But I don't see it as "re-born", as much as born correctly the first time. Although the labor has been hell...

Before she could ever called complete and turned loose on the streets, I decided to re-work parts of the project that were done wrong by people that I "trusted", but that still needed to be done correctly: Wiring & Body work.

The interior was done right the first time, with need for only a couple of small adjustments.

I think the skill that you need in order to build the GTM, is simply the confidence that you will have in yourself when you finish your Mk-IV. (And the ability and desire to spend a bit more money to build it).

The GTM is literally what you make of it; from budget builds to over the top builds. And they are all fun cars to own and drive. They all garner attention; whether you want them to or not.

Oh yeah... I forgot to mention that one of the reasons that I've been able to get through this build was that I refused to become one of the statistics... One of those people who started a project of this magnitude, and the found out that they were in over their heads. I was determined that no matter what, I was going find a way overcome the hurdles that were going to come. And it was only due to the fact that I have been fortunate enough to be able to afford to spend what it takes to build this car, that I could be able to meet my project milestones: but I did so at my own pace. This is why it has taken longer for me to get through this project. If something took two months, fine. If it took 2 years, fine. At the end, I was going to have what I had planned for. And who knew.. It actually seems to be working out the way I had hoped.

So if you have it in the back of your mind to build one of these wonderful self educational projects, you should!

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 12-19-2016 at 09:39 PM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The Stig,

I think our next build, should we do one, will likely be the new Type-65 because that car I find to be a lot less intimidating since it shares most of the components with the MK-4. I'd love to do another 383-SBC build with a ZF 6-Speed transmission set up since I'm pretty much hooked on that combination, plus that new chassis is really sweet!

Since our last child will be going off to college in the fall, I am sure that I'll have plenty of time to research and plan the next build while I save up the cash to do it. Plus our MK-4 has got to Cruise The Coast a few times and make it's way to Key West first.

Merry Christmas & Happy Hanukkah!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-20-2016 at 09:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Stig,

I think our next build, should we do one, will likely be the new Type-65 because that car I find to be a lot less intimidating since it shares most of the components with the MK-4. I'd love to do another 383-SBC build with a ZF 6-Speed transmission set up since I'm pretty much hooked on that combination, plus that new chassis is really sweet!

Since our last child will be going off to college in the fall, I am sure that I'll have plenty of time to research and plan the next build while I save up the cash to do it. Plus our MK-4 has got to Cruise The Coast a few times and make it's way to Key West first.

Merry Christmas & Happy Hanukkah!

Steve
    One of my favorite builds to date, was done by Allan Smith's dark gray Type 65, and documented on the FFCars forum.

Ever since I saw that car in Kit Car Magazine, I've wanted to build one. But then I sat in one... The good thing is that now the Gen 3 did away with those 4" steel structural tubes in the frame, which means that I stand a better chance of sitting comfortably in one. Time will tell.

Another of my favorite "builds" was Gary Bopp's Type 65. That car was (and I guess still is) just beautiful to me, but I came along after he finished his build, so I didn't get to follow along.

Also... I was born in Key West just before the Cuban Missile crisis. (My dad was stationed there in the Navy). So I would also like to make a trip down in the GTM... Hmmm, sounds like the makings of a plan...

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 12-27-2016 at 07:06 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sound Like We Will Need A Factory Five Cruise To The Keys Event In 2017!

Post Thanks / Like
    I dropped by the shop today to see how Pandora was coming along, and to say hello to the guys.

The vent/mesh has been completed in all panels except the hatch. And Kevin has started placing the upper window seals. Maybe it's just me, but these things look OEM!

When the door closes, the window lays on top of the round seal and pinches into the top seal flush all the way around.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 12-23-2016 at 10:18 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    dang..... that looks really good.
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dallas_ View Post
    dang..... that looks really good.
    Thank you. I didn't know that they were installing the seals yet, so I was a little surprised when I saw it. Especially when I saw how well it fits the contour of the roof and A-pillars. It really looks nice and it works!

Now... Back to Christmas and the family.

Enjoy the day everyone!

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, the door seals look like they were supplied by the OEM. Can you find out a part number for the seal they used? My upper window fitment is poor I was looking for a seal design to fix the problem. Looks like you have that licked. FYI, your interior looks fantastic.

Michael
    Michael

GTM 240

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mlkwd1 View Post
    Mike, the door seals look like they were supplied by the OEM. Can you find out a part number for the seal they used? My upper window fitment is poor I was looking for a seal design to fix the problem. Looks like you have that licked. FYI, your interior looks fantastic.

Michael
    Hi Michael. The doors & seals are pretty much done. Just a couple of things left to do, and then they will seal the car just as a Mercedes does.

I will tell you this; make sure that whoever you have do this work KNOWS exactly what they are doing. And be prepared for the fact that it is going to take a lot of time and a large portion of your body/paint budget to make it happen.

Without going into too much info that Tony wants to keep close to the vest, for now, I can tell you this:
    - We used some stainless steel Window rails and the matching rubber seals from Classic Industries.
    - These were then cut and re-welded and made to fit the window openings.
    - We also used some hip moldings/seals for the doors at the lower section of the glass.
    - Structures had to be created in the doors to hold the hip-molding in place (inner & outer).
    - Once these parts were cut and fit, and adjusted and re-fit, they were installed permanently.
    - Then the Roof, A-Pillars, and Door (B) Pillars were re-designed and Tony & Kevin defined the shape of the "drip rail" along the roof to the back where it meets flush with the rear quarter windows.

Side note... The doors have been on and off the car so many times, we had to get another set of bushings for the hinges because they were starting to get some slop in them. Go figure.

The doors themselves were finally finished with bodywork & prep for painting on Friday (23rd). They have been particularly tough to block sand so that they reflect a straight line, due to the flex in the thin layers of fiberglass as the sanding block went across them. Kevin and Kenny came up with a great solution for that. Tony says that he now knows exactly what to do on any other set of GTM doors that come into the shop. (Eric Brown's car for instance).

It's not fun to pay to be a test mule that ends up saving other people a lot of money... (I still have another invoice coming for more hours that recently went into the doors to tweak them a little more). But, when you're first in line, and there is a learning curve to be completed, I guess it is what it is.

Based on a conversation that I had with Kevin, I believe that they are finally finished, and will be in the paint booth this week sometime along with the hatch, mirrors, and spoiler.

There have been an enormous number of hours invested in getting all of these elements in sync with each other, and fit to the point that we are all happy with it. (Personally, I've been blown away with it every time I've seen it, through it's progression.) But it really stopped me in my tracks when I saw it this past Friday. Tony has eaten a ton of hours through this process, and I am very appreciative.

The hatch was (and is) a separate story, in and of itself, in terms of effort and hours spent. But we won't go there. It is now correctly fitted to the car, and looks great.

There are MANY more details in terms what has actually been done to get the doors, windows, quarter windows, pillars, and roof re-shaped and corrected in order to have the doors fit and seal 100%. I've only scratched the surface in this description of work. Tony will share more details when the time comes.

I honestly think you should just send your car to Tony, and let him tackle it for you. They've got it figured out now, and can do it much quicker on other GTMs and will more than likely save you a good bit of money by doing it RIGHT the first time.

As I've said many times, these guys have proven to me that they are the real deal.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 12-26-2016 at 08:00 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Wish I had the cash to do what you suggest. I will have to live this one through you for this coming year. My doors fit well and the lines are good but the window functionality and the seal is far from what I would like it to be. I have minor back hatch issues as well. Side lines are good but the horizontal line on the back lip is not correct. The whole hatch seems to have a slight twist. A dark car would not be as noticeable but on a bright orange car it is pretty easy to see.

I really want to see your car in person when finished. Maybe I will have to take a road trip to Charlotte this coming summer. If not, I am sure your car will be in SEMA next year and I will take a look at it there.

Thanks for the info.

Michael
    Michael

GTM 240

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I don't blame Tony and the guys for not divulging 'secrets' of his success with Mike's car. They are in the business of making money, not hobbyists like ourselves.
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beeman View Post
    Yeah I don't blame Tony and the guys for not divulging 'secrets' of his success with Mike's car. They are in the business of making money, not hobbyists like ourselves.
    That's true. He's in business for a reason; to make a profit and support his family.

I'm just glad that I finally found a shop that I can trust, and that can actually do what they say.

Thanks,

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 12-28-2016 at 08:29 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just told by Tony that the Doors, Hatch, Mirrors, and Spoiler will finally be painted tomorrow! Woo Hoo!!!!!!!

I also ordered that last of the weather stripping for the body/doors; so they'll be DONE soon!

Am I ever looking forward to seeing it with all the panels and parts painted and re-installed!

Also, we're supposed to be getting the brake calipers back soon. Hopefully sometime this week.

It all seems to be coming together.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 12-27-2016 at 10:47 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Seeing the paint in contrast with the interior...I'm in love with your car!
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    Seeing the paint in contrast with the interior...I'm in love with your car!
    LOL... It's working pretty well for me too!

Thanks Mike.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    The Calipers were delivered today!

What a difference!

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    The Calipers were delivered today!

What a difference!

Mike
    LOL...they look like toy cars in that shot!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz Rules View Post
    LOL...they look like toy cars in that shot!
    My wife said the exact same thing.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I stopped by the shop today, and spent some time going over the "to-do" list with Tony: Mainly odds and ins sort of things.

It is finally sinking in that Pandora is actually about to come to completion. And I know it's true, because Tony's wife (the Boss) said that she would really like to get the GTM out of the shop. I'm smart enough to know that if his wife wants it gone, it's going to be gone: and soon. So I've got that going for me...

Tony said that the doors, hatch, mirrors, and spoiler would be in the paint booth today; and they were. He mentioned that he planned to paint them today after lunch. So we should see paint on them very soon.

The calipers will be re-installed, and car will be back on the ground, pretty soon. The door seals came in today, so when they've been painted, and they are dry, the doors will be re-fit/installed for the final time. I can't wait to see them painted and back on the car.

While these parts are drying and waiting for the first cut / buff, we have a couple of small items that will be taken care of, that will be wrapped up by the time the other parts are buffed and finished.

I also stopped by Steve Kurzman's Interior Shop (The Custom Stitching Co., Charlotte, NC.), to find out where we are with having the halo cover re-worked. It looks like Steve has been slammed with business. Good for him, bad for me as far as wait time. He is finishing up a Pontiac Trans-Am this week. My re-fit will be done when he finishes that project. So hopefully, we'll get the glass in the car, at about the same time that the rest of the car comes together for the final time.

I guess time will tell.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 12-29-2016 at 10:04 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    We have paint on the doors, hatch, mirrors, and spoiler! Woo Hoo!

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Now You Are Really Cooking With Gas!

Looks Like 2017 Is Going To Be A Good Year @ Camp "The Stig!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Should've painted the doors white...go for the patrol car look

(Seriously, no. Don't. Not unless you can get wig-wags on the roof that won't spoil the aero!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz Rules View Post
    Should've painted the doors white...go for the patrol car look

(Seriously, no. Don't. Not unless you can get wig-wags on the roof that won't spoil the aero!)
    LOL... There's no danger in me giving Pandora the "Mayberry Squad Car" look.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Pandora is sporting a newly painted rear hatch!

This is yet another example of some sweet work.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm Sure You'll Be Smelling Exhaust Fumes Soon!

Almost There!
    Almost There!
    Almost There!

Good Luck & Looking Forward To Seeing Pandora On Youtube!

Steve

PS: I'll be back on my project soon (Tomorrow) now that we've closed out the year.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-01-2017 at 10:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm Sure You'll Be Smelling Exhaust Fumes Soon!

Almost There!
    Almost There!
    Almost There!

Good Luck & Looking Foward To Seeing Pandora On Youtube!

Steve

PS: I'll be back on my project soon (Tomorrow) now that we've closed out the year.
    Hi Steve,

LOL...! Pandora really is almost "there".

It felt good to get the text from Tony last night, prior to midnight, of Pandora's Hatch.

I've been waiting for a long time to see her with the new hatch painted and fitted in place.

So yes, It's pretty cool to see it this close.

As well, I'm looking forward to seeing Your progress reports on your Cobra!

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mike,

The last four months of the year are always tough in my line of work as have been the last 7-8 years, but I digress.
    I've got to install the following; however, the good news is that I have all of the parts sitting in the spare bedroom waiting to be installed on the car:

1. Pulleys & Alternator
    2. Distributor & Wires
    3. Radiator & Hoses
    4. Fuel Line From Mechanical Pump To Carburetor
    5. Engine Oil & Radiator Fluid

It's been tough letting it sit, but the I've Got To Do's Far Out Weighed The I Want To Do's, so you get the picture.
    Hope to post that First Start / Go Kart Run video soon, assuming all goes well.

Good Luck With Pandora & We Can't Wait To Meet You Guys & See It Down In Key West With Our Chevy Powered Cobra!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-01-2017 at 10:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That looks fantastic. Hopefully not too much longer now.
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike-

Knowing how much work went into that hatch, I KNOW how good it must feel to see it with color, and almost mounted!

I love seeing these new milestones over the last several weeks. It is truly refreshing reading your posts that are finally upbeat and dripping with anticipation!

I am really looking forward to reading your upcoming posts as she crosses the finish line. My very best to you and Pam in the new year!

I hope to get a chance to see Pandora in person after she is all done!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dallas_ View Post
    That looks fantastic. Hopefully not too much longer now.
    She's just about wrapped up. And everything is looking great. When I drive up to the shop and I walk in and I see what these guys have done, I find myself simply standing there with my jaw hanging open, and starring.

I'm sure that it makes me look pretty goofy, but that's alright. I am very happy with what they've done.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 01-03-2017 at 03:25 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    The calipers are going back on today. They've been installed and the brake lines have been re-filled and bled. Next step is to get the wheels back on and get her back on the ground.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 01-04-2017 at 10:03 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Come On Mike,

Those Are Teaser Pics!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Come On Mike,

Those Are Teaser Pics!

Steve
    LOL... Actually, that was exactly what I thought. I post the pictures that I am given when he (Tony) sends them.

I was sent 2 pictures of 1 caliper.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,

I can't believe how amazing your car is, in every aspect. The detail, the patience to see it through...... glad I live in your state so it'll save me the airfare I would've paid to see it lol

Post Thanks / Like
    I couldn't help but take a few pictures of the calipers. I really like the new color. Ferrari Silverstone Gray.

The rotors have been sitting for a while, and need to be cleaned up a little, but a little WD40 will take care of the centers pretty quick, and the brake pads will scrub the brake surfaces before I get her home.

They look pretty nice behind the polished aluminum wheels.
    Last edited by The Stig; 01-06-2017 at 10:39 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Pandora's back on the ground.

The splitter and rockers look great.

This is what some people might see in their rear view mirrors right before I pass them...

She really looks great. All the parts have been painted with 2 or 3 coats of base, and 4 coats of clear.

The car is pretty much done, except for being reassembled. She's going back together as we speak. We changed the reservoir for the RamLift system, to cure a hydraulic oil leak. The oil was added back, and any air bubbles were bled. And now she lifts right up. The diffuser goes back on next.

As I've said multiple times in the past, I named her Pandora for a good reason. (After Pandora's Box). Once the box was opened, evil was released. When one was put back, more would escape. My Pandora has lived up to her name, time and again. Anywhere that she could fight the process of making her as beautiful as we know how to, she has. And right up to the end, she's still playing the game.

I'm not going to give the details just yet, because she threw another wrench in the works, right here at the very end of the project. But nothing that Tony's skills can't overcome pretty quickly. She just thinks that she has won... And I guess the the truth is, that thanks to Tony, Rodney, Kevin, and Kenny, she has.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 01-06-2017 at 11:15 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Stig,

That is one seriously beautiful car! It is something to be quite proud of. It's getting closer by the day. Congrats!

Len
    1972 Corvette Stingray 350 c.i. Manual Steering & Brakes
    2003 H-D Softail Deuce 88 c.i. TwinCam
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast