FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,400 of 2016

Thread: More progress made on the body : )

Post Thanks / Like
    The nose of the GTM got it's first coat of primer sprayed back on today.

Pandora's "Evil Eyes" have been toned back down by the primer.

And then a light guide coat.

Looks like the "finish" blocking process is about to start up! More progress made on the body!

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 12-01-2015 at 11:25 PM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    While the tanks were out, we had a fitting welded to the bottom for drains. It's not fun to try and get these things out of the car if they still have any fuel at all in them...

Hopefully, I'll never need to remove them again. But if i do, or if I need to drain the fuel system in order to do any work on it, now I can.

Mike
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Sanity Check...

Tony guestimated a couple of months back, that Pandora might be finished by Christmas. Unfortunately, I think we both knew that might be a bit of a push. But it's all good as far as I'm concerned.

We stalled out a little at the end of the year due to Holidays, and the need to maintain a little cash flow for the shop. I expect that when he starts back up after the holidays, Pandora will see some progress. I'm excited to see the detail, quality, and effort that he is putting into making my car the best that it can be. I think that the level of body preparation is going to allow that Carbon Black paint to look 10 feet deep.

Fun times...

Merry Christmas
    Last edited by The Stig; 12-25-2015 at 10:38 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the update. I keep checking in to see how it's coming. Impressive work and I'm sure it will be worth the wait.
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dallas_ View Post
    Thanks for the update. I keep checking in to see how it's coming. Impressive work and I'm sure it will be worth the wait.
    It's coming along. Maybe she'll be done this year. ��
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    After speaking to Tony this afternoon, it seems that focus is back on Pandora. The Doors are next, so I'm interested seeing how they get worked and corrected. We've talked through a couple of ideas that will help the windows seal without building frames to surround the glass.

When they're done, the entire car will be sprayed with primer to start the "finish" blocking process. He assured me that "Pandora" will be out of her box this year.

I see light at the end of the tunnel, and it's reflecting off of a chromed spray gun.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 01-05-2016 at 06:47 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope she's feeling more like a keeper now, less like the girl who cheated on you and broke your heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carbon fiber View Post
    I hope she's feeling more like a keeper now, less like the girl who cheated on you and broke your heart.
    My heart wasn't broken. I was lied to by people that I trusted, and My wallet was pissed off! Multiple times...!

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Pandora is back on the ground again. The wheels were put back on, and she's back on her feet again. The car was cleaned up a bit to get the dust out of the way.

Getting ready to hit it hard again.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike-

That's an exciting site right there! I know you must be anxious to see some serious progress, and I hope it happens and exceeds your expectations.

I look forward to checking back and seeing some good stuff.

I hope you and Pam (and Pandora) have an awesome 2016!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    While I was at Tony's shop, I spied what could be my next project.

I've had the thought building a 62 corvette street rod in the back of my head for a while. I love the lines and the look.

Jack Shepherd of Augusta, GA built this one.

This one was built by Award Winning custom builder Bobby Alloway, from Louisville, TN.

It's a pretty cool look. And there aren't any more 20th anniversary Mk4's available.

Meanwhile, I hope to be able to post some nice progress pictures of Pandora very soon.

Mike

By the way, Tony is asking that I come up with a name that is more positive. Something that reflects the character of the GTM. Right now, she's still Pandora to me. Because every time I get one thing resolved, 3 more become visible. But I do have to agree that we've corrected pretty much everything that could be called issues except the doors and the front wheel openings; and they're next on the list. Maybe when I see her in primer, I'll be able to see past the need to refer to her as Pandora.
    Last edited by The Stig; 01-08-2016 at 11:07 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I meant Mike, that you would have good feelings when dealing with/thinking about the car. It was sad to hear you talk about selling it after all this. That's also why I wanted to help you out with the hatch, to restore some good feelings.
    Last edited by carbon fiber; 01-09-2016 at 09:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the 62 Vette.
    Pandora is an incredible car and one of a kind. I can see how the bloom could be off the rose, but damn what a car!
    I look forward to seeing her completed.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I meant Mike, that you would have good feelings when dealing with/thinking about the car. It was sad to hear you talk about selling it after all this. That's also why I wanted to help you out with the hatch, to restore some good feelings.
    Thanks Jason. I honestly believe that the hatch is going to pull the whole look of the rear of the car together. Picture don't do it justice. But the lines of the car all flow into and through the hatch perfectly. So when Pandora is wearing a coat of carbon black, with multiple coats of show clear, we'll see how awesome the hatch, that you developed for me, looks. I can't wait to post those pictures.

And don't get blown away by the Vette conversation. I just really like the 62 Vette when it's done right. I'm not jumping off of the Factory Five ship. I would imagine that the people who would be willing to pay me what I would want for Pandora, are few and far between. They're out there, but not necessarily right around the corner. So I would imagine that the Charlotte highways will see quite a bit of Pandora in the next few months.

I'm also still planning to try to make it to a few car shows here and there, (including an important one in Wareham). But we'll see how it comes together.

Thanks,

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JL1958 View Post
    I love the 62 Vette.
    Pandora is an incredible car and one of a kind. I can see how the bloom could be off the rose, but damn what a car!
    I look forward to seeing her completed.
    Thank you! I appreciate to kind words. And I can't wait to call it finished as well. I think it's going to look incredible.

It should be fun to take a few 100 mile lunch runs with my wife, and hit a few cars & cappuccino events here and there.

Thanks again,

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 01-09-2016 at 11:37 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's funny you chose the '62 vette. My brother had an original and wants to build a custom chassis/modern driveline version. He's shying away at the price though, he might end up with a used c5 to play around in instead. Very cool though.th2QZ00EMY.jpgcorvette_c1rs.jpgcorvettec1rs_02.jpgthTNUF4702.jpgsucp_1001_28+2009_goodguys_ppg_national_car_show+custom_62_corvette.jpgThese are some cool modernized versions too.
    Last edited by carbon fiber; 01-10-2016 at 08:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's funny you chose the '62 vette. My brother had an original and wants to build a custom chassis/modern driveline version. He's shying away at the price though, he might end up with a used c5 to play around in instead. Very cool though.th2QZ00EMY.jpgcorvette_c1rs.jpgcorvettec1rs_02.jpgthTNUF4702.jpgsucp_1001_28+2009_goodguys_ppg_national_car_show+custom_62_corvette.jpgThese are some cool modernized versions too.
    The earlier Vettes have always been my soft spot.

Art Morrison has developed a custom chassis for the 62 Vette that allows for the LS drive train, and C5 suspension. I believe that it uses a 3 link rear, so the structure for the C4 IRS would have to be custom built. But once you've done that, you've solved most of the puzzle. I actually started out wanting to do a 63 split-window, but later crossed over to the 62. I just like the look, and you hardly ever see them on the road. Here in Charlotte, we see the 63 - 67 Vettes fairly often. This is just a project that I've kicked around in my head for years: Even before I saw the GTM for the first time. When I learned about the GTM, I knew right away that I wanted to build it, and everything else took a back seat. I pretty much had a picture in my head of what I would build, from the time I first saw it. And we're almost dead on with it.

I'm not sure when I'll be able to do it, but I hope to at some point. I'd still like to build a nice Mk4 roadster with the new IRS as well...

As far as the GTM, I'm not planning to actively try to sell it. BUT... if someone were to make an offer in the right range, I would consider it. Until then, Pam and I both plan to drive it and enjoy it.

Who knows what will happen next?

Mike

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    You could change her name to Phoenix. She will rise from the dust (ashes) and take flight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jceckard View Post
    You could change her name to Phoenix. She will rise from the dust (ashes) and take flight.
    Now that's a good name. Definitely worth considering!

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL... Let's hope we don't have to go there. So far it hasn't burned to the ground.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike if you decide to do a vet check out the srlll chassis. You can go c-4 or c-5 and all parts just bolt in. It is set up for the independent rear suspension. I did one and used a 92 as a donor. It drove real well.
    Leonard

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jceckard View Post
    I think the FFR PDG GTM has dibs on that one.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    By the way, Tony is asking that I come up with a name that is more positive. Something that reflects the character of the GTM. Right now, she's still Pandora to me. Because every time I get one thing resolved, 3 more become visible. But I do have to agree that we've corrected pretty much everything that could be called issues except the doors and the front wheel openings; and they're next on the list. Maybe when I see her in primer, I'll be able to see past the need to refer to her as Pandora.
    Hey Mike reference post number 1168 that name is still available and fits to a tee, if I do say so myself

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL! Yes it does. "Miss Adventure" certainly works. And that may well be who she grows into later. But for me, right now, she is Definitely Pandora.

I am convinced that the story of "Pandora's Box" was conceived all those years ago, with this car in mind. No doubt about it.

I was in Tony's shop talking about work that he had done to flatten the roof. Well it turned out that with the roof fixed, it magnified other areas of the car. So we took a walk around, and sure enough Pandora was starting to peak out from behind the rear fenders and through the doors and into the hood. She was everywhere! And sure enough, as we were talking, Tony asked me "if I knew what I was getting into by reworking and repainting the entire car?"; and continued on to say that we may be opening "Pandora's Box". And that we're going to have to chase the body until we get everything right. That's when I told him that after everything it's been through, the car deserves to be done right. Then we knew what needed to be done, so we started making that happen.

As I was driving home, those words kept ringing in my head. "We're opening Pandora's Box..."

And I thought to myself, "Well, that's nothing knew. We've been doing that for the last couple of years."

So that's when I started calling her Pandora. It just seems to fit her.

As I mentioned, Tony feels that Pandora has come completely out of the box. That's why he thinks it's time for a new name.

But I think she's still in there, peeking out once in a while. And I think she's smiling.

I'll let you know if she starts her transformation that points to her new name.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 01-16-2016 at 09:47 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    The Tanks have been reinstalled back into Pandora. Woo Hoo!

With the tanks notched, The filler hose can now make the turn into the tank without being pinched against the side of the body. Mine were pinched to 1/2" on each side.

Now I should be able to fill the tanks in 3 to 5 minutes max, without worrying too much about fuel being blown back on the paint or on me in the process.

I think it's a necessary modification to make these very well made tanks even better. I feel a lot better about it now.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 01-15-2016 at 05:59 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    When I heard that Tony had the tanks back in, I thought I would drive up and see what else was going on. The Cold Air Intake runners were disassembled, the cats and cross pipe had already been removed, and he was in the process of re-installing the interior. We ran across a bit of an issue with the way the seats are mounted, but that can be resolved easily enough. (Did I mention that there is a good reason this car is named "Pandora"...?) There is still quite a bit of body filler dust down in the engine crevices, but that'll all be blown out and cleaned back up in time.

Tony said that he was hating me for an hour or so as he put the interior's center section back together... But then I never told him that ANYTHING about this car would be easy. Pandora makes you EARN every inch of progress.

He put everything back in but the seats. They'll go back in later. Then she was sealed up tight from the dust and whatever else might be floating around.

He says he plans to push pretty hard next week. So I'm excited to see how things develop.

It looks like my "new friend" is headed back home, for now...

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 01-23-2016 at 11:27 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I always enjoy your updates and pics, I've followed this thread for awhile now through the up and downs up the build, I'll be happy for you to see her finished .......but a little sad that the story of Pandora is over lol so keep the updates coming even after she's finally complete!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tucker298 View Post
    I always enjoy your updates and pics, I've followed this thread for awhile now through the up and downs up the build, I'll be happy for you to see her finished .......but a little sad that the story of Pandora is over lol so keep the updates coming even after she's finally complete!
    LOL... That's the thing about Pandora: The story never seems to be over. Most of the time that's a good thing, and once and a while it isn't. Right now things are good. I have a feeling that she'll be in primer before long, and we'll be getting ready for the paint to be sprayed.

And don't worry, her dance card for the next year is filling up quick. It should be fun. But as always, we'll see how things work out. This is Pandora after all. I'll keep you posted.

I really appreciate the kind words. And by the way, I'm quietly following your build as well. It looks like you'll have an impressive car when you finish her up!

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 01-16-2016 at 10:06 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Getting closer Mike!!!! Hope this time it all works out the way you hope. The mod on those tanks are really a must. Spending 15 minutes at the pump is not as fun as driving the car. The drain at the bottom is another nice addition. I had to drain mine twice to make some chages in the fuel system and was a pain. That drain would have taken at least 20 minutes of that job. Keep the updates coming.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kempo View Post
    Getting closer Mike!!!! Hope this time it all works out the way you hope. The mod on those tanks are really a must. Spending 15 minutes at the pump is not as fun as driving the car. The drain at the bottom is another nice addition. I had to drain mine twice to make some changes in the fuel system and was a pain. That drain would have taken at least 20 minutes of that job. Keep the updates coming.
    Hello Hugo. It's great to see you around the forum again. The tanks were pinching the filler hose to the point that it was almost closed. There may have been about a 1/2" opening left for the fuel to pass through. I had never really noticed it so much, because I always poured fuel in from a gas can. I've never been to a gas station in the GTM. I can only imagine how bad that would have blown back if I tried to open the fuel nozzle to even half speed.

Tony noticed the kink in both hoses, and proposed a notch in each tank to allow room for the filler hose to connect to the tanks without being pinched. He offered take the tanks over to his "shop-neighbor" who is a machinist and welder. Basically he cut the notch about 2" in, and that cured the bend to the tank. It fits perfectly now.
    When he pulled the tanks out of the car, he apparently ran into the same issues that you did. He drained as much fuel out of each tank as he could, but it was still next to impossible to take them out of the car without spilling some. So the drains became necessary. Each tank will have a drain in the bottom/center of the tank. There will be a 1 1/2" circle cut out of the steel panel below them, to gain access to the drain plug. There will be a 1 1/2" plug to fit the hole, and keep it closed up from the bottom side.

All in all, it seems to work pretty well.

So... 161 in the 1/2 mile run? Not too shabby. That car must track like it's on rails to run it at those speeds.

Congrats Buddy! Keep in touch.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 02-03-2016 at 06:23 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,
    Great to see some progress made on "pandora". Get 'er done and then decide on a new name. Once she's finished the right name wlll surface.

I'm anxious to see your GTM moving forward so Tony can start paying some attention to mine. The only sight I get of my GTM #357 is in the background of his shop, bagged and waiting for work to start. Looking for my first full ride in my GTM in the next few months if Tony can pay her some attention. I'm being patient but its been hard to walk out into my empty garage for the last 90 days after living with this all consuming project for over 4 years. Take some pics of my ride next time your in the shop!

EB
    Columbia, SC

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Eric.

I know exactly what you're feeling. I feel as though my car has been out of the garage much more than it has been in the garage in the past couple of years. It tends to make you feel disconnected from the project after a while. I haven't been to the shop in a couple of weeks (due to travel & weather). But I'll get a couple of pictures of your car when I go back. Probably tomorrow. Hang in there.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    A little more progress is being made.

A little bondo was ground out and smoothed back into the hatch. Body/Hatch Gaps have been straightened and finished.

A cut in the upper hatch was fixed and reshaped. And the underside of the hatch is pretty much done.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Who is tony? and where might I find him? I am in the charlotte area... well mount holly ha =)

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony Kutas (Owner)
    Charlotte Speed Shop
    8702 Statesville Rd., Unit K
    Charlotte, NC 28269

(980) 322-5895

https://www.facebook.com/Charlotte-S...9254132223695/

I'm sure that he'd love to talk to you about your project. He's located near the Harris Blvd exit of I-77.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    More work finishing up the hatch.

The edges have been worked in order to have a razor straight edge.

The body around the hatch has been finish worked in order to give a "paint-stick" gap all the way around. Tony did say that there are a couple of places that he still needs to give a little more attention. But for the most part, it's pretty much done, and 99.9% ready for primer.

It looks like there is a lot of body filler being used. But actually, the panels have been built up using fiberglass, and then sanded flat. This help to maintain strength, and prevent the paint from cracking from stress, over time. The filler was then thinly skimmed across the surface where needed, in order to make the panels even smoother.

By the time we go two or three rounds of primer and blocking, the panels will be as smooth as silk; and ready for the painting process.

Yep... I like the way it's coming along.

I love the straight lines that are going to form the gaps.

The hatch has been on and off and on and off again many times as it has been surfaced / blocked with the body in order to generate a perfectly flat transition (flow) from one panel to the next. And with the 3/16" gap, and carbon black paint, the gaps will seem to literally disappear when viewed from some angles.

The edges will be slightly rounded to get rid of the sharp edges.

Progress is good!

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 02-12-2016 at 11:18 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't wait to see the new color on her! I really like your color choice. I'm concerned that after she's done you'll miss the challenge of the build, in the event that happens come on down to southern pines and grab a wrench ha!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tucker298 View Post
    Can't wait to see the new color on her! I really like your color choice. I'm concerned that after she's done you'll miss the challenge of the build, in the event that happens come on down to southern pines and grab a wrench ha!
    LOL! Thanks Tucker. I think she's going to look awesome when she's done. I'm getting more excited every week. As far as future projects, I don't think the tools are going to collect too much dust.

I have plans in the works for another project to follow this one. I know that there will be a Mk4 in my garage at some point. I'm also pretty sure that there will be a 62 Corvette in the Garage. I'm also fairly certain that I'll be building an SLC or GTR from RCR. And in the back of my mind, I can't seem to shake the thought of building a really nice Type 65.

So, no matter what, there will be something happening in my garage for some time to come: and Factory Five will continue to be a large part of it. I love the company and I love the people there and here on the forum.

And you never know... Pam and I may just make a shake down run in the GTM to your area. If we do, I'll let you know.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't threaten me with a good time! Lol and I think it would be great for my better half (Ellie Mae) to see what a GTM can look like when it's done.......heck me too, the only GTM ive ever seen in person is in my garage and its in pieces.

Post Thanks / Like
    No tempting or threats. Maybe, once I get her finished up, we can get together at some point and get you into the seat. I think that will bring the same focus to your build as it did to mine. We'll see if we can make that happen.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast