BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: More progress made on the body : )

Post Thanks / Like
    I finally got the heater hoses installed correctly, and solved the over heating problem that I was having. It wasn't hard to do, but when I intalled it initially, I had the hose running from the water pmp, and the hose running from the overflow tank crossed. I had already filled it with coolant, and burped the lines. So I was really dreading the thought of disconnecting the hoses, draining the coolant back out, switching the connections, and going through the process of refilling the system again.

But I had the perfect reason to get outside and get it done... My house was full of loud women who were here for my daughter's bridal shower, drinking wine, and getting even louder... It was time to get the heck out of there.

Once I got under the car and started working, it wasn't so bad. Of course I did get a face full of engine coolant, as I disconnected the hoses and tried to aim for the drain pan. But I knew that it was coming, so I made my peace with it, and got busy. 45 minutes later, it was done. I started the engine up and let it idol for 15 or 20 minutes. Problem Solved! Woo Hoo. Thanks to Mike Holland (Crash) for making the heater valve kit available to us. Works like a champ when installed correctly.

Before, if I let it idol between 5 to 7 minutes, the engine would get up to 210 / 220 if I let it. Now it hits 185 / 195, and kicks on the fans, and holds a steady temp. I finally feel comfortable enough to put the firewall and window back in, tidy up the wiring bundles, and install the bottom panels and skid kit. Then I'll install the seats, wire the gauges, and it will finally be ready for the interior.

There is a finally finish line in my somewhat near future. I may actually get to drive this thing legally this summer! What a concept!
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Kool.
    Just an old man with a great hobby

Post Thanks / Like
    You Rock!!!
    It's great when things finally start going the way they should. It almost makes up for the hundred times it didn't.:-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Good job Stig, it's hard to get past those stumbling points. Feels good to move on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Guys.

I truly appreciate the comments. All along, My goal has been to build the best car that I am able to. But for the past year or so, it seems that anything that could get in the way, and/or block any real progress has done just that. It's been VERY frustrating to say the least. I eventually got to the point where just seeing it in the garage made my angry.

I can't tell you the number of times that I've considered just selling it, and starting over with a different project. I had even settled on an initial build plan...

1937 Ford "Oze Rod" Body, on a "Total Cost Involved" Chassis (or Art Morrison if I can get him to build one for a 37), an LS3 with a Borla ITB intake system, a Tremec 6 spd, Long Tube Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Corvette C5 Independent Front and Rear Suspension, Corvette C5 center section, Foose Wheels (18's & 20's) with Michelin PS2's, ISIS wiring system, and a full custom leather interior. If I could stick to this simple plan, I could build it for just a shade over half of what I've spent on the GTM as of today, before the $12,000.00 interior, and $2500.00 audio components are installed.

I justified the idea in that it's a pretty cool street rod. It's pretty comfortable. It has headroom. It has a trunk. You can actually hear the audio system. I don't look nearly as fat when I try to get out of it. And I would probably have money left over when I'm done. Sounded like a good plan to me.

But when I saw that temp gauge holding a constant temp, there was still a little part of me that felt like I had accomplished something big; even though it really wasn't... Then I thought about it, and decided that I would just be damned if I was going to become one of the GTM statistics. I've taken my time, because I wanted things done right. So, this car will be finished by me, and it will match the goals of my original build plan (except for budget), and I will definitely drive it this summer. When it's finished, I'm going to have some pro photos made, show it at a hand full of higher profile car shows, and then drive and enjoy it.

So a little later (mid July or early August) you can expect to see the results of me figuring out how to use my 2 "Go-Pro Hero" cameras...

Hmmm... Sorry, I guess I must still have some frustration that I need to try to vent. Oh well...

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 04-29-2013 at 10:49 PM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,
    I'm glad to see you are back at it and making progress. It sometimes gets frustrating but wait till you are done. The GTM it's such a unique car that when you start driving it arround you will forget the frustrating times during the build. Keep up the good work and updates coming.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike
    I'm glad you came to your senses in time. Remember that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger. You must be a pretty strong guy by now? It's really easy to get bogged down in the problems. I got to experience something this last weekend that I forgot about. Our GTM buddies at Huntington Beach seen the beauty of a nearly completed car. Not all the little things that I see. So looking through their eyes I realized how far we have come and let go of a little of the how much is left to do.
    Trust me, these problems will not be nearly as painful the first time you are forced to stand back and see the car as a whole. That probably wont happen in your garage. The best place for me is at a car show. Then when you overhear all the positive comments from people you don't even know you start to realize what a great thing you have done.
    So keep up the good fight. It will bend to your will eventually. You are. Soooo very close and there is lot of us out here pulling to get that blue beauty on the road.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    These are the pictures that I keep referring back to for motivation.

(I know I've told this story before, but...)

This was the first time that I had ever seen, or new anything at all about the GTM. October 2007. Factory Five brought their Show Hauler down to Charlotte with the LS7 GTM and a couple of other cars. There was an awesome Type 65 coupe, and a couple of Mk-II roadsters.

I remember seeing the GTM from a distance, and wondered what it was. As soon as I got closer, I brought out the camera and started taking pictures. Then I called my wife and told her about it. I actually drove 60 miles round trip from the Charlotte speedway to pick up my wife, and bring her back, so that she could see what I was more than likely going to spend a chunk of money on.

As soon as she saw it, she fell in love with it and told me; “You have to build this car”. So the wheels were set in motion… I was given a copy of the Factory Five DVD. And not very long after that, I bought one for myself...

Since that day, my goal has always been to be able to have my car parked in this exact same spot, next to the FFR Trailer and take the same picture.
    Then I will have come full circle.

I would also really like to take it to SEMA and Huntington Beach, but we’ll see how that works out.

At some point, Pam and I are definitely planning to ship the car out to Seattle, and then road trip down the coast to San Diego, just to do it.

Mike

Last edited by The Stig; 04-30-2013 at 09:20 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I want in on at least some of that trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me know when you get to Olympia, maybe I'll follow for a while.

Post Thanks / Like
    That would be pretty fun to have a few GTMs, Roadsters, and Type 65s rotating in and out all the way down the Pacific Coast.

I'll definitely let you know when we're ready to head out there. It's going to happen, hopefully in late summer or early fall.

That would be something to look forward to for sure! Talk about some serious motivation...

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    That would be pretty fun to have a few GTMs, Roadsters, and Type 65s rotating in and out all the way down the Pacific Coast.

I'll definitely let you know when we're ready to head out there. It's going to happen, hopefully in late summer or early fall.

That would be something to look forward to for sure! Talk about some serious motivation...

Mike
    I probably won't be ready to roll on this one, and it sounds like a blast! please keep me posted just in case. I would love to jump into that group for a stint as well!
    GTM #253 In Process

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mendo View Post
    I probably won't be ready to roll on this one, and it sounds like a blast! please keep me posted just in case. I would love to jump into that group for a stint as well!
    Hey Buddy. I would imagine that you have plenty of time. I mentioned that this was definitely going to happen, but it will be after the car is finished, and has done the cars shows, pictures, etc. It'll probably be somewhere around the end of the year or early next year. If this is something that others would really enjoy doing, I'll start up a thread when the time is close, and we can coordinate the trip and when we can meet up along the way. it sounds like a really cool thing to me.

We're also planning to do something similar on the east coast as well. Probably starting from Factory Five, and Driving down to somewhere in Florida. Jacksonville, Daytona, West Palm?

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Buddy. I would imagine that you have plenty of time. I mentioned that this was definitely going to happen, but it will be after the car is finished, and has done the cars shows, pictures, etc. It'll probably be somewhere around the end of the year or early next year. If this is something that others would really enjoy doing, I'll start up a thread when the time is close, and we can coordinate the trip and when we can meet up along the way. it sounds like a really cool thing to me.

We're also planning to do something similar on the east coast as well. Probably starting from Factory Five, and Driving down to somewhere in Florida. Jacksonville, Daytona, West Palm?

Mike
    I would definitely do the West Coast event...possibly the East Coast one too, pending the boss' approval.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mike
    Mike,

You've gotta continue south to Miami.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm...a week in Florida. Drive down in the GTM. Meet up with all of you crazy car freaks? Sounds like a plan for next year perhaps! Take lots of video, and pics please.
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VD2021 View Post
    Mike,

You've gotta continue south to Miami.
    Vidal,

You're right my friend! Destination South Beach! Move those Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, Bently's, and Maserati's over.

This is a great reminder that you have to be careful of what you say.

I had a conversation with Steve (sk7500) a few months ago, where I mentioned to him that Pam & I wanted to take the GTM out to the West Coast and do one of those once in a lifetime road trips that you always hear car guys either Dreaming about or Reminiscing about with their friends. My thought was to see some beautiful ocean views, have a great ride, and meet the people that have been so important in my build journey.

Who knew that there were so many others out there that would also want to be a part of it. I can't think of anything that would be more cool. And what a cool photo-op for all those California Cell Phone picture takers running down the coast. A Factory Five car show/parade headed down the PCH. This might take some real coordination, but when the time comes, this could really be a fun experience.

I've also been talking to Roberto & Allan Uzwiak, about doing something similar starting in the North East. So a starting point at Factory Five, and a Destination of South Beach/Miami would make for another over the top East Coast trip. There are more and more Factory Five owners along the east coast. I've also been looking forward to getting down to Florida with the GTM to meet You, Keith, and Michael, etc. Maybe we can also get Hugo and his GTM stateside for part of the trip as well.

But first things first. I've have to get my GTM FINISHED.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, that sounds like a fun idea. When you guys get the east coast date I will do my best to make it there.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet!!!
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I spent some time getting all the wires running through the tunnel wrapped in Wire Loom, and also wrapped the heater hoses with heat (barrier) insulation. Hopefully this will keep the heat down in the tunnel and the interior. I've run the engine a few times for leak tests, and everything looks good. So I'm finally ready to re-install the belly panels and the skid rails. That's the goal for the weekend. It feels good to make more progress.

The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks cool
    With all that insulation you should be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mike,

Nice. Gotta love progress.

Do you still have plans of completing the registration and driving it this summer or will it go to the upholster? Curious minds want to know.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sk7500 View Post
    Looks cool
    With all that insulation you should be fine.
    Hi Steve. I think it should block most of the heat also. I want to try and do what I can to keep the interior as cool as possible. I've pretty much done all that I can at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by VD2021 View Post
    Mike,

Nice. Gotta love progress.

Do you still have plans of completing the registration and driving it this summer or will it go to the upholster? Curious minds want to know.
    I am looking into adding a Coolant Overflow catch tank, simular to what Hugo mentioned in his recent posts. My car was doing the same thing: when it heated up, it was pushing some of the coolant out the overflow tube, and leaving the tank very low when it cooled. I have a tank that I bought, but never installed. While I have the interior wall out of the car, I figure this is a great time to do it. Not I just have to figure out where to install it. But I do have to say that since I reworked the the heater bypass valve, It doesn't seem to be doing that nearly as much. I'm also trying to decide on a solution for the radiator bleed valve at the upper right corner. Not coming up with anything that I like yet.

And yes, the car will be at the interior shop by the end of June. When it come back from there, I'll be calling it finished. (Target end of July).

However, I do have a couple of paint scratches and chips that i'll need to have taken care of.

So I should be able to make my goal of having it on the road this summer.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 06-06-2013 at 08:09 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I went ahead and sprayed the 2" frame rails with a rust inhibitor from Eastwood. Made a bit of a mess, but I'm glad I did it. I drilled a series of 5/16 access holes into the underside of the frame, slipped the paint nozzle/hose as far into the frame as it would go. And then sprayed the paint/rust inhibitor as I slowly pulled the hose back out. I let each frame rail dry, and then made a good second pass at them. I then had to get out the laquer thinner to clean up the drips and "overspray"...

Tomorrow will be spent re-installing the center panels, and the frame rail skid system. I'll leave the pannels below the seat section off, until I get the seats mounted. I want to go ahead and fit the side skirts, and the front splitter by the time I finish up tomorrow evening.

If I can get this short list finished, I'll try to take the car down off the jack stands. That's always a little nerve-racking...

It's about 16" up on stands, so a couple of inches at a time for the front and rear, until it's on the ground...

Should be an interesting day.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Since "Timmy" didn't want to see any pictures in the open house thread other than the pictures actually taken at the open house... I decided to post my version of the Factory Five Open House (Charlotte) for this year. I had really hoped to have the car done by now, and be able to take it up to Wareham for the Open House. (One of my GTM Related Bucket List Items... I have 3.) But I obviously didn't make it. Maybe next year.

I'm spending this year's open house in the garage getting the GTM a little closer to being finished.

Take care everyone and for those of you who were able to make it to the Open House; ENJOY the day @ FFR!

I think I'll fire it up, and give it a few good revs, and see how long it takes for the neighbors to come over.

Mike

Last edited by The Stig; 06-15-2013 at 10:06 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW!!!! looking good, I wish I was as close to finishing as you are. For me this time next year, I have set June 1 for the completion date. Great to see the picture's!!
    GTM #370
    Car was completed and I have SOLD my car
    http://edgemansgtm.weebly.com/index.html
    Doing what you like is freedom - liking what you do is happiness
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mike.

Your GTM looks great! So many,many, MANY hours invested!

I also wanted to make it up to the open house with build in progress example.
    But my car is still dirty from driving in the rain on the track two weeks ago.

My car is functional, but far from as pretty as yours.

Your car looks ready to roll out on to the show circuit.

Next year ill meet you at the open house. We both bring our GTMs. Deal?

John
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    I love that shade of blue
    Does it have a pearl in it?
    Gorgeous!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    that color looks great in person, i saw it when it was at whitbys. the car looks awesome. i've got some gas money mike!

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't worry Mike you're closer to the FFR open house than I'll ever be. 😣

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Mike. Keep those updates coming I really enjoy reading them.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike-

The car really looks fantastic, and I know you must be really proud of how she turned out! I bet it is both a joy and a frustration being this close to being finished, but not quite there! Hang in there and get the beautiful car on the road where she belongs. I need to find an excuse to drive over there and sneak a peak at it!

Keep up the great work!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Car is looking beautiful, you must be very proud!

Rust inhibitor in the main tubes? Are many builders doing this? Is rusting through a known problem?

Thanks guys
    Aman

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are worried about the tubes rusting on the inside, just fill the entrance of the tubes with expanding foam. All the big box stores have it (Home depot). This is what we do in the oilfield to seal pilings or supports with open ends. I was going to do this to the all main tubes of the frame that are open.
    GTM #370
    Car was completed and I have SOLD my car
    http://edgemansgtm.weebly.com/index.html
    Doing what you like is freedom - liking what you do is happiness
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Mike-

The car really looks fantastic, and I know you must be really proud of how she turned out! I bet it is both a joy and a frustration being this close to being finished, but not quite there! Hang in there and get the beautiful car on the road where she belongs. I need to find an excuse to drive over there and sneak a peak at it!

Keep up the great work!

Regards,

Steve
    Thanks Steve. You're welcomed to come over anytime to have a look. I've tried to make the car available for anyone in the area to come by be able to see one of these in person. I think it helps us both. It give me motivation to keep making progress, and gives them a chance to see a car that you may never see in person unless you build one. Pretty cool...

Quote Originally Posted by Aman View Post
    Car is looking beautiful, you must be very proud!

Rust inhibitor in the main tubes? Are many builders doing this? Is rusting through a known problem?

Thanks guys
    Aman
    In normal circumstances, probably not. I think that the frame got some water in it when the prevoius owner had it. I noticed a couple of rusted joints during the early build. I cleaned them well, and sprayed primer and paint back over the areas. I saw an ad from eastwood, regarding the rust inhibitor, and I thought that I would spray the rails, just to make sure. I probably over think things more than I should, but it made me feel better...
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz Rules View Post
    I love that shade of blue
    Does it have a pearl in it?
    Gorgeous!
    Yes, there is a bit of pearl in the mix. The Color is "Lexus Indigo Ink Pearl". It's a standard color that you can get pretty much anywhere. I have the paint code somewhere in this thread. Whitby's did a very nice job with the paint on my car. Every person who has seen it, asks about the color and where I had it done. One guys asked me if I painted it... I just looked at him and asked: "Really????...."

Pictures really don't do it justice. It looks very different in person. Every once in a while a picture picks up the glow of the pearl in the paint.

This was really the only color that I ever considered painting this car. I just thought it would look cool with all the curves that the GTM has.

Quote Originally Posted by carbon fiber View Post
    that color looks great in person, i saw it when it was at whitbys. the car looks awesome. i've got some gas money mike!
    I haven't forgotten. Whenever it's done, I'll be getting in touch with you. I'm looking forward to seeing your work as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7500 View Post
    Don't worry Mike you're closer to the FFR open house than I'll ever be. 
    Steve, we'll get the FFR West Coast Cruise organized soon. (3rd GTM related Item on my Bucket List). I can't wait to get out there and meet all the west coaster's that I've been talking to through this build. You, Ron Richmond, Ted Harrison, Russ Thompson, and Dave Borden. (I had the good fortune of having Dave come and spend a couple of days with us last year). Awesome guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Kempo View Post
    Looking good Mike. Keep those updates coming I really enjoy reading them.
    Hi Hugo. Thanks. You never know when some little thing that you, or I, or Vidal, or anyone else might do that will help someone else out... I can't count the number of times I picked up some huge help after reading through your's and Vidal's threads. Dave Borden and Gary Cheney have also helped me out a ton through this build.

This forum needs as many people like Dave, Cheney, You, & Vidal, that we can get, in order to keep it going for the new guys who are just getting into their builds. I came along just as the 1st round of builders were getting their cars finished up. Many of them really went out of their way to help the likes of people like me. So I try to pay it back as best I can. And I know that you guys do as well.

Update:

I got the 1/2" drain hose attached to the bottom of the HVAC for condensation draining. now I need to cut out a small opening to feed it through.

I got skid rails for the center section drilled and clekoed in place. I didn't realize what a task that was going to be. But I'm almost done fitting everything in place. Next step is to take it all back out and start installing the nut-certs in order to have enough thread for the screws to really hold the skids in place in the event that they bottom out on a speed bump. Not really looking forward to that job, since there are 32 of them to set in place... I think it's time to get out the pneumatic thread setter that I bought on e-bay a while back, and figure out how it works.

I also remembered that I need to machine some 1/2" aluminum to use as a jacking pad / lift point at each of the frame corners.
    Last edited by The Stig; 06-16-2013 at 09:58 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    WOW!!!! looking good, I wish I was as close to finishing as you are. For me this time next year, I have set June 1 for the completion date. Great to see the picture's!!
    Thank you Buddy. I appreciate the kind words!

Quote Originally Posted by kabacj View Post
    Hey Mike.

Your GTM looks great! So many,many, MANY hours invested!

I also wanted to make it up to the open house with build in progress example.
    But my car is still dirty from driving in the rain on the track two weeks ago.

My car is functional, but far from as pretty as yours.

Your car looks ready to roll out on to the show circuit.

Next year ill meet you at the open house. We both bring our GTMs. Deal?

John
    Hi John,

Every time I see your car, I go straight into Engine Envy. It's one of the coolest in a GTM. Love those Hilborn Injectors/Stacks.

My car will definitely be finished, and I am absolutely planning to have it there for the Open House. So I look forward to meeting up with you there. Gary should have his finished also; if he hasn't already sold it by then... So there's the potential for having a few GTM's there next year. It should be fun.

Take Care,

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 06-16-2013 at 09:59 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    HI Mike,

A couple of questions regarding your master cylinders on your big brake upgrade and clutch. how much did you cut of the shaft on the clutch M/C when you changed to the 5/8 cyl. Wilwood tech recommended 7/8" front and 1" rear M/C for the 6 and 4 piston calipers to get the power brake pedal feel,did you change your brake master cylinders and if so how is your pedal feel?

Thanks Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikespms View Post
    HI Mike,

A couple of questions regarding your master cylinders on your big brake upgrade and clutch. how much did you cut of the shaft on the clutch M/C when you changed to the 5/8 cyl. Wilwood tech recommended 7/8" front and 1" rear M/C for the 6 and 4 piston calipers to get the power brake pedal feel,did you change your brake master cylinders and if so how is your pedal feel?

Thanks Mike
    Hi Mike! I'm sorry I missed your call yesterday. I was at my Grandson's little league All-Start baseball game. They won their game so they get to move onto the next bracket... Woo Hoo!

Big Brake conversion:

I made the switch to the 5/8" master cylinders for better pedal feel, and throw. I cut the rods to the same length that the manual called for with the 3/4" masters. For the brakes, I feel that I have a better sense of the pressure that I'm putting into the brakes. They feel a little more like "power brakes", but at the same time I can feel them much better. I can't really explain why: I just can. Steel braided brake lines keep the pedal feel crisp. The larger brake calipers do more work so your leg doesn't have to.

I went ahead and switched the clutch master cylinder as well, because I was concerned with over-extending the throwout bearing arm and breaking the attachments inside the transaxle, as has been documented in the past. I cut this rod to the original spec called for by the manual as well. By going with the 5/8" bore, the throw seems to be a little less, so I'm not as worried about cracking the internals... I'm also using a pedal "bumper" to limit how far the clutch pedal is extended. The amount of effort needed to engage the clutch is much less as well.

Since I've crossed into my 50's, I'm not as eager to go through a leg workout just to push the clutch in...

The only thing in addition that I wish I would have done, is change out the clutch and brake pedals to the new ones that come with the gen two kit. They look like they would be a little stronger, and the have a much cleaner appearance.

I hope this helps.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 06-28-2013 at 10:27 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats to your grandson and his team, best of luck to them on the next game

I just got a set of 5/8 master cylinders from summit but I spoke to a tech rep at wilwood in reference to the 5/8 master for the clutch and he said that 5/8 was the correct master for the Porsche slave. With the longer stroke and smaller bore it was a better match for the Porsche slave cylinder but when I asked him about the 5/8 cylinders for the big corvette brakes, he recommended to use a 7/8 master for the 6 piston front brakes and 1 inch master for the 4 piston rear because it would the same brake feel as the corvette power brakes and they would have the proper volume for those calipers. So before I return the 5/8 master cylinders to summit, I was looking for some input from the guys that have big brakes. The big brake kit I ordered is on back order and I'm going out of town, so while I wait for the brake kit to come and everything else in between I was just looking for some input and feedback on the brakes.

Thanks again, your car is looking great, I can't wait to see it finished!

-mike

Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast