Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: More progress made on the body : )

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mike-

Good to see some progress on an important area without the added headaches!

Do you have a date when you hope to get her on the road? I know that's a challenging question, so please no sniping!!

I hope the rest of the way is far smoother; hang tough. Can't wait to see her all dressed up for the ball.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm... When will it be finished?

Hi Steve,

Yes, the hatch looks phenomenal in my opinion. I am grateful to Jason for the work and effort that he has put into this piece for me. It wouldn't have happened otherwise. I can't wait to get it on the car and start test fitting it. I am very anxious to see how it lines up with the lines of the body. He told me that it would be ready to pick up on Thursday.

Things to do... "Short List"

I reset the ride height to 4 1/4 front and 4 1/2 rear, and moved the car around quite a bit for try and make it settle. So far it has stayed right where I set it.

I "burped' the coolant system again. The water temp is still running straight to 220+, so it looks like I still have a little work to do there. It usually takes a few heat cycles to get the air completely out of the lines. (I'm actually considering using the Corvette Coolant tank in front as an air-bleed for the front of the system). I also have a couple of billet tanks that I could use as well/(instead).

I ordered replacement pieces from Quiet Ride for the driver's side floor to replace what was previously damaged. Those will go in as soon as I get them. Will take about an hour or so.

Interior is scheduled for 10 to 12 weeks. So it looks like 3 months there.

The windshield is coming out tomorrow, so that will need to be reinstalled when the interior is done.

Registration will be completed while it's at the interior shop. That way we can figure out how to place the VIN number without screwing up something that we make for the interior.

I plan to fit the new hatch while it is at the interior shop. I want to take some pictures of it installed, to give to Jason for him to use.

Then I'll have it (hatch) painted along with having a couple of scratches fixed in the paint (passenger door), and the scuffs that Courty's people left for me. (Passenger rear fender - top, and upper cockpit (passenger side). 1 to 2 weeks there, depending on their schedule...

Then it will need to have a final alignment done.

Then I'm calling it finished.

I'm guessing late May, or early June some time. But I've guessed at a "finish" date before and came up very wrong for one reason or another. This is how I see the schedule playing out right now...

Once I've had a chance to drive it for a month or so, I'll decide what I want to do with it. The car show stuff is fine, but I've decided that I want to just drive it for a while and work out any bugs. I don't like being on a schedule with regard to this car. I think it would be a lot more fun to drive it, instead of it driving me...

See no "sniping".

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 02-24-2014 at 09:08 PM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Just pull the top hose off the radiator and fill up the radiator and fill the hose. I thought I had mine burped, but it found an air pocket. I took off the top hose and it took care of it's self, it was empty for qutie a few seconds, then the water started flowing. I quickly put the hose back on and then filled the overflow. So far so good.

Post Thanks / Like
    The top hose of my radiator is an AN-24 fitting on a rather stiff steel braided hose. It's a little tough to get on and off.

But that may just be the ticket...

The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Naw, that will come off easy. Really all you have to do is get it engine warm, not hot, and then just crack it, don't take it all the way off. Let the air bleed out and you'll be fine. The AN fitting will actually make it easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll give that a shot...

I'm getting radiator fluid from the top right over flow hose, when I fill it. So I'm not sure that the air bubble is in that hose. But I guess if it's open, it will allow the fluid to travel and the air will come up either through the head vents, coolant tank, or the radiator.

I usually have all three open when I start filling it, and then close them off as they start to spill fluid.

I just had a thought... Do I need to have the heater turned on so the the bypass valve opens up? I didn't think of that this weekend.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes you do, keep the heat on while its running. All the way threw the burp session.

Post Thanks / Like
    009.JPG005.JPG

Hi Mike,

There are two small hose connections on the upper corner of the radiator,I connected one of those lines to an inline cap and made a high spot in the front of the car. With the cap of in the front I filled the coolant from the back reservoir until I got all the air out of the front and coolant is to the top of the front cap, then I closed the front cap and filled the rest of the system.
    You can disconnect one of those small lines in the upper corner of the radiator and make a high spot to vent and purge the front cooling system. Make sure that your heater valve is open so that all the air can circulate out of it when you run the engine,let the engine get to operating temp before top and cap the reservoir tank.

I used that insulation under the rug but I attached it to the rug instead of gluing it to the floor,In case the rug gets wet you can take it out to dry.
    Last edited by mikespms; 02-25-2014 at 08:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I spoke to Steve Kurzman today. The Olds 442 that he's been working on is being shipped back to it's owner on Thursday. As I've mentioned, I have a bit of a list of items to get through on Friday and Saturday. The GTM goes into the interior shop on Saturday afternoon. I'm pretty excited that I'm finally at the last hurdle to get the car completed.

Murray has apparently been buried in work to get illustrations done for the Car Show season that's getting ready to start. Steve said that he's focusing on my car now, and we should have the first proof in a week or so, for review. I'm looking forward to working through that process with he and Steve.

This process of designing and installing the interior will take some time.

It's definitely something that's new to me.

But when it's done, the car is done.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 02-26-2014 at 08:24 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blood,sweat, and tears!

You will get it! The last tears will be you crying like a little girl as you drive that thing down the road completed.

I'm pulling for ya.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm pulling for you too, but what about the stuff you need to redo?

Are you doing that now, or are you waiting until after the interior is done?

EDIT:Sorry, just went back and read post 807. Good to hear you are addressing them now. This is the time to do it.

Be very careful with the windshield. It is ridiculously thin and breaks easily.
    Last edited by crash; 02-26-2014 at 12:50 PM.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    I'm pulling for you too, but what about the stuff you need to redo?

Are you doing that now, or are you waiting until after the interior is done?

EDIT:Sorry, just went back and read post 807. Good to hear you are addressing them now. This is the time to do it.

Be very careful with the windshield. It is ridiculously thin and breaks easily.
    Yes, I worked on it Saturday:

I was able to get the ride height re-set:

Got about a gallon and a half of coolant back into the lines. I still have to hit that again. (I forgot to turn the heater on when I let the engine come up to temp). I'll do that Friday morning, and should have that out of the way.

Quiet Ride just called me a couple of minutes ago to say that the replacement panels are in the wind and will be on my doorstep tomorrow. So that will be re-installed (maybe Thursday night)

The glass guy will be out on Thursday to remove the Windshield. It has to come out, so I figure, if it cracks or breaks, I'll have 10+ weeks to get a replacement and have it ready.

It goes to the int shop Saturday afternoon. It'll be a tight schedule, but I should be able to squeeze it all in. I've already told my wife that if she needs me, I'll be in the garage until the car leaves.

I plan to pick up the new rear hatch from Jason, in Thomasville, NC this weekend also. I'm really pumped to see it.

Looks like I'm going to be a little busy.

Thanks for the support guys. I can sure use it lately.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a few pictures of the Hatch with the polycarbonate in place, and the CF cover installed, covering the vent opening.

I wasn't able to get down to Jason's to pick it up yesterday. Was a little tied up trying get the car ready.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I pulled the damaged Quiet Ride panels out of the floor and cleaned it up as much as possible.

I cleaned up the surface rust that had started to form from having been left in the rain... Wire brushes and wire wheels cleaned it right up.
    I then sprayed the clean metal with primer, and then a couple coats of Chassis Black.

Quiet Ride sent replacement panels over night, so they were waiting on me when I got home. So I was able to replace them.
    It took about an hour and a half.

The car is now at the interior shop to begin that process....

The first thing that Steve said was that he was going to have to have his guy clean up the dash wiring.
    (So this will be the third time that I've paid someone to wire it so that it is correct.)

$2600.00... And it still needs to be re-worked.
    Last edited by The Stig; 03-02-2014 at 01:04 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    CompletedRearhatch002_zps123cfbe5mod.jpgthe lexan is up in the corners, it'll need some light weight in the corners when it's bonded. when they're down both sides are even. the lexan will look better after it's painted black around the perimeter, installed, and without the plastic film. Mike, the floor/sound mat looks good as new. I hope everything else goes smoothly from here.
    Last edited by carbon fiber; 03-02-2014 at 03:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can use some light pressure from a couple sets of clamps to hold it for 24 hours until it sets.

It shouldn't take that much to get it to sit down in the corners.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

A picture of the GTM at the Interior Shop. Cars being shuffled so mine can go back into the primary work bay.
    Last edited by The Stig; 03-10-2014 at 03:57 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I sure hope you get the service you expect. I don't see how you could take another bad run. Keep up the good fight, I'm rootin for ya.

Post Thanks / Like
    Still amazes me to see a GTM sitting next to a normal car.

Post Thanks / Like
    A sight for sore eyes! Good luck w/upholstery, and congrats on the milestone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fastthings View Post
    I sure hope you get the service you expect. I don't see how you could take another bad run. Keep up the good fight, I'm rootin for ya.
    Thank you Buddy. I appreciate it. I feel good about Steve, and that he will do a good job. But I've felt that way about a couple of others prior. So I get to play micro-manager... until I get a strong feel that everything is going well.

Quote Originally Posted by flotowngtm View Post
    Still amazes me to see a GTM sitting next to a normal car.
    A friend of mine saw this picture, and said the same thing. It's not too obvious, until you see it sitting next to a full sized car.
    Of course the car in the picture in on 26" wheels, and jacked up to the clouds...

Quote Originally Posted by Stage7 View Post
    A sight for sore eyes! Good luck w/upholstery, and congrats on the milestone.
    Thanks Roberto. Can't wait to see it when it's done. I should have the first rendering of the interior coming soon. I'll post it when it comes.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

I had a really nice meeting with Steve in regard to specking out the interior design/build. I spoke to Murray Pfaff yesterday; he's getting started on his vision of what i explained that I wanted, when we spoke originally. He called and talk to Steve for a while this morning, and the two of them are hatching their plans for some cool stuff for my car.

Chad, the Audio guy was also there to discuss how the different components will be incorporated into the design. He and Steve had an idea for speaker placement and Sub-Woofer placement that to me was pure genius. It's amazing! They said from the start that they would work to make everything "invisible", and then they proceeded to show me how they intend to do it, and in a very cool way. I think you guys are gonna like it when you see it. (Or rather, when you don't see it).

We also discussed using parking sensors in the front and rear. Not sure if I'm going there yet or not. There will be an installation of a Passport 9500 remote radar detector with front and rear receivers, and dashboard display. If I'm not mistaken the alarm signal will be integrated through the car's audio system.

There was also Rich, a wiring guru who will be working to clean up the mess left by Courty for the dash, gauges, console switches, etc., etc., etc. Weather pack connections for the connections. Everything loomed and hidden away.

I left with a sense that everyone was really working together and was pretty much already on the same page. Steve made sure that they completely understand the look and feel that I am trying to achieve.

I felt much better when I left the shop. I had been a little nervous going into this; especially given the crap that I've been through previously. Being able to ask questions of them, and answer their questions as well, really helped me to know that wasn't just paying to have an interior put in. But rather that I was paying to get the interior that is going to complete the vision that I have for MY car.

I'm headed up to Thomasville, NC., tomorrow morning to meet Jason Cecil and pick up the new rear hatch for my car. I am pretty excited about it. I'll post some pictures as soon as I am able to. I know that there are a couple of people who have said that they may be interested in having one made for their cars as well.

I got an e-mail from Ron Hanna of Classic Instruments Custom design department. The gauge cluster that he has been working on will be ready at the end of the month...

I had the Wiper Fluid tank notched and re-welded so it would fit over the sway-bar. I'll have that installed next weekend.

So all of my mini-projects appear to be coming together now. It's almost as if I had planned it that way. Maybe a little, but not completely.
    Last edited by The Stig; 03-14-2014 at 10:24 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep up the good work, your almost there, sucks you had to go thru all this!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm thinking of the same stuff in mine. I have not looked for a place for speakers and such. I am looking forward to see the spot they choose. And I think I'm going to install the same radar, jams lazer and linkied to sattlelite.
    Escort Passport 9500ci. Cool stuff Mike. I work next to some audio guys, and they use Hybrid Audio, they sound so nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah. I was surprised by the difference in quality between these speakers and the JBL's, Polk, and JL audio that I had been considering. In my opinipon the speakers that I mentioned are extremely good speakers, and are more than most people would ever need. but I actually heard an in car comparison between the Hybrid Audio speakers, and the Polk & JL Audios... And then ordered the Hybrid's right away.

The remote Passport system is something that I've pretty much planned on all along. I just forgot to order it, and was reminded last week. So now I'm scrambling trying to get it shipped. That's about the last thing that I have to buy for the car; that I'm aware of right now.

I'll post the progress as much as possible, for those that might be interested.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't had a chance to mention it yet, but my wife and I drove up to Thomasville to meet Jason Cecil, and pick up the Hatch that he has used his superb skills to design and make for me. I am blown away by how nice this turned out. As I've mentioned previously, it needs to be prepped for fit and paint. I need to take some measurements from the car, and then transfer them to the hatch to give me a starting point for clearance gaps. Then I'll just need to slowly file and sand them to the right gap size. Once I get that done, I can install for fit and adjustments before it get's painted. This will take a little time...

So what I'd really like to pass along to the rest of you, is this... If you have any concerns about how you might vent the trapped heat from the upper portion of the engine bay, you should really give serious thought to having Jason make one of the overlay sections for you. This part looks like it was made by an OEM for the GTM. I think you'll be happy you did.

It fits into the original Hatch, in the glass opening. It requires only about a 1" by 6" relief cutout for the overlay to fit flush to the hatch. Then it just needs to be bonded with 3M body panel adhesive. Fill the edges, and trim to fit, and you're ready to go.

You end up with a hatch that fits the GTM, and allows heat to escape the engine bay, while the car is sitting still and running. One way or another, you'll need to resolve this issue. Jason has pretty much done the work for you. You owe it to yourself to at least check it out.

I plan to post a number of pictures as soon as I have it ready to lay onto the body for fitment.

Stay tuned!

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Third time's a charm, right? Did you end up resolving your "differences" with the last shop, or did they wash their hands of everything?
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the kind comments mike. I can't wait to see it on the car. I'm super interested in seeing how it works venting the heat, should be a major improvement. keep it up, you're almost rounding home plate! also, I'm planning to become a vendor this week, so no waiting for the hatch. some other pieces will be soon after.
    Last edited by carbon fiber; 03-19-2014 at 10:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carbon fiber View Post
    thanks for the kind comments mike. I can't wait to see it on the car. I'm super interested in seeing how it works venting the heat, should be a major improvement. keep it up, you're almost rounding home plate! also, I'm planning to become a vendor this week, so no waiting for the hatch. some other pieces will be soon after.
    It's all deserved Jason. It was great to finally meet you. I wish I would have had time to stay a little longer, but I had to get back to Charlotte to get ready for a birthday party that my wife was throwing for my Niece. We'll meet up again though, I'm sure.

Speaking of "other items, I have something else I'd like to talk to you about potentially making. I'll be in touch later this week.

Thanks for all you've done!

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

Passport 9500ci remote Radar / Laser detector

I meant to order the remote radar / laser detector this past weekend, and completely forgot...

So I took care of that last night. So now, ALL of my purchases for the GTM are done. No more $$$$$ going out except for interior.

Woooo Hooooo!

So now the interior of the car will be as "teched-out" as I can stand for it to be...

Reworked Porsche Gauge Cluster
    Push Button Start & Alarm (Disarming)
    Pioneer / Hybrid-Audio Stereo build (including XM radio and rear backup camera)
    Remote Passport Radar Detector / Laser Shifter

I think that's enough...

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

I got the first rough draft of the dash rendering for my car. I like the wrap-around dash to door panels. Maybe it's just me, but I'm, seeing "Mustang" and not supercar. And that's what these drawings are for... I think we're going to have to make a couple of changes.

Porsche 997 Gauges... Why do people keep drawing 996 gauges?

I have a view in my mind that is a blend of an Aston Martin DB9 & Aston One-77.

Aston One-77 Dash & Console.

Aston Martin DB9

Aston DB9

This is the look that I'm after for the dash. I like the sloped (rounded) dash that sort of rolls down towards the driver and passenger; and also blends into the door panels. The shape of the GTM console (framework) would probably match up a little better with the One-77.
    Last edited by The Stig; 03-21-2014 at 12:17 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

I think if we can get somewhere close to this look, I'll be pretty happy.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I can tell this is a fun part of the project for you, enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fastthings View Post
    I can tell this is a fun part of the project for you, enjoy.
    I guess you're right.

I get to be part of the creative process again. This is the point where I can really complete the car to be what I had envisioned to start with. It's on track to do just that.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    i agree mike, that looks a little plain for the gtm. i've never really been a fan of the lambo interiors. the quality and details are great, (alcantara, cool switches, cf) but the square main shapes don't do it for me. i like more organic shapes. i have the same pics of the aston martin one-77. it's one of my favorite interiors. the interior i'm doing has a similar center section but with a pc tablet for the main display. maybe you could get the shop to lean more towards the aston interior. as far as the rough draft, what materials are where? is the whole thing gonna be upholstered or is there some cf or painted sections? maybe the parts around the switchgear and shifter? you need a little cf in there somewhere, of course i have a biased opinion!
    Last edited by carbon fiber; 03-23-2014 at 09:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    i agree mike, that looks a little plain for the GTM. I've never really been a fan of the Lambo interiors. the quality and details are great, (alcantara, cool switches, cf) but the square main shapes don't do it for me. i like more organic shapes. i have the same pics of the Aston martin one-77. it's one of my favorite interiors. the interior i'm doing has a similar center section but with a pc tablet for the main display. maybe you could get the shop to lean more towards the Aston interior. as far as the rough draft, what materials are where? is the whole thing gonna be upholstered or is there some cf or painted sections? maybe the parts around the switchgear and shifter? you need a little cf in there somewhere, of course i have a biased opinion!
    I spoke to Murray and Steve on Friday. The direction is to follow the design ques of the Aston One-77.

There will be Garrett Italian Leather (Platinum - matte) All components will use this: Seats, Tank Covers, Door Panels. I haven't decided on the color of the Dash yet. I'm leaning towards a charcoal gray. I think it needs to be a little darker to reduce glare on the windshield.

Alcantara (Gray, but 2 shades darker than the leather) Will be used for the seat inserts, Head liner and roll bar covers, and Engine cover.

Brushed Aluminum panels will be used in the top of the console, and door panels. As well as aluminum strips for accents around the interior.
    We're still figuring out exactly how/where the speakers will be located.

I'm sure that we'll have some CF included before we're done.

Should have another view from Murray later this week, that will get us closer.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 03-23-2014 at 11:19 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi mike,

You have a vision of a great interior and it is going to be a big undertaking. The biggest obstacle I had is the lack of room, some of the guys doing custom interiors on the GTM had to modify the frame work on the tunnel to fit their consoles and dash. I had to relocate the steering column mount to match the corvette IP and it also helped to center the steering wheel on the seat but the passenger side has even lees room. After I made the door panels when I closed the door the door panel would hit the dash pod and the seat. The passenger seat is a very tight fit with the GTM stock interior and any changes you make to the door panel and seat are going to be a problem. I made a new tunnel aluminum panel where the emergency brake handle goes gaining an 1 1/2" of room and had space between the seat and tunnel and door panel,now that the interior is done it is very close.
    The upholstery shop I used had done a GTM interior prior to mine and had warn me about the problems they encountered before I had fabricated all my interior pieces and with that in mind I had to redesign my interior.It looks like your interior guy is well qualified and up to the task, but with your track history with previous shops you are going to need to be on top of things and have every thing very clear up front or I am afraid you are going to run into complications and cost overruns.

You have worked very hard and put a lot of effort and money in your car and deserve to have the best.

Mike
    Last edited by mikespms; 03-24-2014 at 09:35 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    good points. while i've been fabbing my interior, i've noticed similar issues. the wrap-around dash like the rough draft showed, is nearly impossible. there's no room to make a real curve in the corner. Mike, don't be afraid to check up in person at their shop to make sure they're on top of things. let them know that you've had bad experiences and you don't want anymore. if they feel like you're looking over their shoulder, it's because you should be. hope everything goes smooth.
    Last edited by carbon fiber; 03-24-2014 at 02:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikespms View Post
    Hi mike,

You have a vision of a great interior and it is going to be a big undertaking. The biggest obstacle I had is the lack of room, some of the guys doing custom interiors on the GTM had to modify the frame work on the tunnel to fit their consoles and dash. I had to relocate the steering column mount to match the corvette IP and it also helped to center the steering wheel on the seat but the passenger side has even lees room. After I made the door panels when I closed the door the door panel would hit the dash pod and the seat. The passenger seat is a very tight fit with the GTM stock interior and any changes you make to the door panel and seat are going to be a problem. I made a new tunnel aluminum panel where the emergency brake handle goes gaining an 1 1/2" of room and had space between the seat and tunnel and door panel,now that the interior is done it is very close.
    The upholstery shop I used had done a GTM interior prior to mine and had warn me about the problems they encountered before I had fabricated all my interior pieces and with that in mind I had to redesign my interior.It looks like your interior guy is well qualified and up to the task, but with your track history with previous shops you are going to need to be on top of things and have every thing very clear up front or I am afraid you are going to run into complications and cost overruns.

You have worked very hard and put a lot of effort and money in your car and deserve to have the best.

Mike
    good points. while i've been fabbing my interior, i've noticed similar issues. the wrap-around dash like the rough draft showed, is nearly impossible. there's no room to make a real curve in the corner. Mike, don't be afraid to check up in person at their shop to make sure they're on top of things. let them know that you've had bad experiences and you don't want anymore. if they feel like you're looking over their shoulder, it's because you should be. hope everything goes smooth.
    You're both right. We've discussed various design options, and I purposely take him back to the issue of room in the cockpit. We were talking about the seats, so while we talked, I sat down in the GTM, on the floor, and showed him how my head brushes the roof if I sit up straight.

He realized pretty quick that the seat has to be reclined somewhat in order to give the head room that I need. So we have to be careful of how much padding goes into the seat, and bolsters. We'll also be trimming the upper head restraint on the seat to give an inch or so more clearance.

He also saw that my shoulders were fairly tight to the engine cover on one side and the door on the other...

Lengthwise, I'm fine as far as the pedals, and hand position on the steering wheel and shifter. Electrical switches and audio will be right there as well.

Line of Site: We are taking some measures with the dash to make sure that the line of sight remains as clear as possible. It'll obviously still be narrow due to the design of the body, but we're trying not to block it any more than necessary.

The dash is tight for space in the corners. Designing and implementing curves that meet the doors will be one of the issues. So that has been addressed.

But with all of that said, we are trying to put together a plan which incorporates the things that I would like to have in the car, for the money that I am spending. Some of the things will certainly have to scaled to some degree, in order to fit. I'm OK with that.

My biggest thing is that I want the entire interior to come together a complete design, so that it all fits together and looks like it should be there. I don't need a lot of Bling. I want the components to work together and compliment each other.

I've given them the direction that I would like for the design to take. And beyond that, I am looking to them for their advice for my options.

Murray has done some renderings of various GTMs. He recently had Gary Cheney's car at the Detroit Autorama. While it was there, he took the opportunity to take pictures and get measurements in order to determine what will fit and what won't. Steve has also been using his time to take pictures with rulers placed in the view, in order to establish true scale, so the design that we end up with is something that can actually be implemented. The two of them seem to be working well together, so I'm happy right now.

He (Murray) sent a note that he has something really cool in the works, and that he'll send it to me soon. I'm looking forward to seeing what he has come up with.

As I have said earlier; this is all new to me. But it's a lot like the project work that I do for a living also. So I understand the process. I have to force myself to stand back and trust the professionals to do what they do best, and then insert myself into the fray when needed. Jason, don't worry; I don't mind driving to the shop to check on the status. I've already let him know that I would be there fairly often; And he welcomes it.

For now, I'm just waiting to get my first real sense of what the interior is going to end up looking like... I realize that I have some fairly grand ideas in terms of my vision for how I want the interior to be designed. But I know that right now they are simply design cues. That's why Murray is involved. He can take my ideas and put them on paper visually. Steve can take that and determine what can and can't be done, before materials are ordered. That's when we'll know what we can expect the finished product to be.

That's why I made the comment, that "If we can get close to the look of the Aston Martin One-77, I would be pretty happy". And if we can do that and have everything fit and work together, I will be ecstatic.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 03-25-2014 at 02:01 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    It's kind of cool to log onto someone's website and see your car displayed.

GTM sitting in the Interior Shop (Custom Stitching Co).

This was the day that I took it into the shop...

Reminds me of the PM that I got from a forum member asking if my GTM chassis was the one that was being featured by a Dyno Shop on YouTube... It was...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eovwIUakKJo

I've always said that these cars carry their own celebrity image with them, and we're just along for the ride.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 03-26-2014 at 03:17 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast