FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: More progress made on the body : )

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post

A picture of the GTM at the Interior Shop. Cars being shuffled so mine can go back into the primary work bay.
    Don't start thinking about switching to those wheels and tires!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fact5racer View Post
    Don't start thinking about switching to those wheels and tires!
    Gary, It's like you can read minds! How did you know?
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

Car has been taped off to protect it.

Reverse Camera location / positioning.

Progress is being made. Wiring is being corrected and completed. The Passport system is being laid out and installed.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 03-28-2014 at 10:55 AM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

Progress is being made. Wiring is being corrected and completed. The Passport system is being laid out and installed.

Mike
    That looks like someone who is doing a careful, quality job. Glad to see you found a good shop mike.

John
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kabacj View Post
    That looks like someone who is doing a careful, quality job. Glad to see you found a good shop mike.

John
    100% Agreed...!
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike-

I hope it exceeds your expectations! You certainly deserve some quality by now, right?

Please keep us updated; I know there are quite a few of us that have felt your pain, and would be happy to see some success for you!

Are you heading to the Auto Fair next weekend?

Looking forward to watching your interior come together!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    My goal right now it to go on Saturday. However, work could get in the way. Trying to meet some project deadlines...

Hope to see you there.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 04-02-2014 at 12:02 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I finally got time to take in the recent posts on this thread! Looking good! Great gauge cluster selection, I like the tach in the middle, and the whole cluster has great symmetry. Oil pressure in bar, that won't take long to get used to, and I like the fractions for the fuel tank. 4/4 and 2/4 make better sense than the Mercedes: 1/1 for full and 1/2 for half, although Volvo-style in gallons is useful sometimes. Will you be lighting up the gear indicator?

Post Thanks / Like
    Wish i would have masked off our car like that when I worked on the interior. There would have a couple less scratches showing. Keep the progress pictures coming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithBoden View Post
    I finally got time to take in the recent posts on this thread! Looking good! Great gauge cluster selection, I like the tach in the middle, and the whole cluster has great symmetry. Oil pressure in bar, that won't take long to get used to, and I like the fractions for the fuel tank. 4/4 and 2/4 make better sense than the Mercedes: 1/1 for full and 1/2 for half, although Volvo-style in gallons is useful sometimes. Will you be lighting up the gear indicator?
    Thank you Keith. I like the shape of the 997 cluster as well. But I switched the Speedometer and Tach. The speedometer fits the center slot of the re-worked gauges, better than the tach. The speedometer sweeps 270 degrees, and the tach only sweeps 180 degrees.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sk7500 View Post
    Wish i would have masked off our car like that when I worked on the interior. There would have a couple less scratches showing. Keep the progress pictures coming.
    Hi Steve! I mentioned the fact that the last guy that had my car treated it like dirt, and pretty much trashed it. Steve Kurzman took that conversation to heart. He treats my car like it is his (and as though he is proud of it).

In addition to taping the edges, he also wraps the exposed paint in plastic sheeting to help protect the paint from scuffs and scratches as well.

I like that...
    Last edited by The Stig; 03-29-2014 at 07:27 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I received an update from Murray yesterday. Looks like we're getting closer. But there are still a couple of changes that I would like for him to make.

I'm not necessarily a big fan of the stitching that is used specifically as a design element. I do like the thought of using contrast stitching in the natural seams though.

I have some specific ideas of what I would like for him to do next, but I'd really be interested in your opinion as well. I think I'm a pretty conservative person where these sort of things are concerned. And I realize that some people like to live on the other side of that line.

What are your thoughts...?

Drawing 1

Drawing 2

Here are a couple of scribbled changes that came to mind...

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 04-01-2014 at 08:46 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it. Nice and clean. As far as the stitching is concerned, I think he is breaking up the large fields with lines, but in reality, in a GTM, those fields just aren't that big and you will never see those lines in the perspective that you are seeing them there in the design drawings. In other words, I think you can use the design without the added lines and it will look just fine. I like using some contrasting colors to break up fields, but maybe that's just me. Samauri41s interior really works for me.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    I like it. Nice and clean. As far as the stitching is concerned, I think he is breaking up the large fields with lines, but in reality, in a GTM, those fields just aren't that big and you will never see those lines in the perspective that you are seeing them there in the design drawings. In other words, I think you can use the design without the added lines and it will look just fine. I like using some contrasting colors to break up fields, but maybe that's just me. Samauri41s interior really works for me.
    Thanks Mike. You pretty much mirrored what Steve mentioned to me. There will be some contrast in shades and textures. There will also be contrast stitching; but I'm still trying to keep things a subtle as possible in a car like this...

I appreciate the input.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Classic Instruments sent a note to let me know that the cluster was tested and would be shipped today. Looks pretty cool to me...

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 04-03-2014 at 04:04 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    That is one nice looking set of gauges!!!!!! Mike, when your car is done it is going to be one of the best GTMs out there if not the best.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kempo View Post
    That is one nice looking set of gauges!!!!!! Mike, when your car is done it is going to be one of the best GTMs out there if not the best.
    Whoa! Careful now... If we can get these mini projects to come together, it should look pretty cool at least.

Thanks Hugo. I really appreciate the kind words of encouragement. It means a lot!

I was just telling Pam (my wife) that this project is starting to get fun again!

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mike,

Wow! Love it.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VD2021 View Post
    Mike,

Wow! Love it.
    Vidal !!! . How are you?
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Vidal !!! . How are you?
    Mike,

Doing well. I sent you a few emails......
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice. I'm going to follow up on the heat insulation for the catalytic converters. My DEI wraps won't completely wrap around them. I'm also concerned with the max temp that these shields can handle when applied in direct contact with the cats. I also need to wrap the starter... So I'll buy enough for that as well.

Thanks Vidal. As I have said many times before, I'm always impressed with your work and how it's applied.

Take care Buddy!

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    The Radar receivers and Laser shifter have been mounted in the nose... They look fairly visible in the picture, but I've been assured that you don't see them unless you bend down and look in. It's a fair tradeoff if they keep me from getting ticket(s).

The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The Radar receivers and Laser shifter have been mounted in the nose... They look fairly visible in the picture, but I've been assured that you don't see them unless you bend down and look in. It's a fair tradeoff if they keep me from getting ticket(s).

Yeah and I agree with him. That's somewhere around ~18" (or less) off the deck.

Functionally, unless a custom housing is made or the hood modified, that location is your only option.

Nice and clean install. All signs of the installer's attention to detail.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    The gauge cluster was delivered by UPS to my house today at Lunch. The problem is that I am in West Palm Beach, waiting on a US Air flight that is already delayed by an hour... I can't wait to get home and see how it looks now that it's finished.

It's Christmas! It's Christmas!! It's Christmas!!!

Woooo Hoooo!!!

(Sorry... I lost my head for a minute...)

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    The gauge cluster was delivered by UPS to my house today at Lunch. The problem is that I am in West Palm Beach, waiting on a US Air flight that is already delayed by an hour... I can't wait to get home and see how it looks now that it's finished.

It's Christmas! It's Christmas!! It's Christmas!!!

Woooo Hoooo!!!

(Sorry... I lost my head for a minute...)

Mike
    Alright Mike, we all expect pictures as soon as you get home!!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Alright Mike, we all expect pictures as soon as you get home!!

Regards,

Steve

Last edited by The Stig; 04-13-2014 at 07:05 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. That's a nice gauge cluster. Too bad those aren't readily available. Well, too bad for the rest of us!
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. That's a nice gauge cluster. Too bad those aren't readily available. Well, too bad for the rest of us!
    LOL...! You can find the clusters on e-bay, but you have to take a pretty deep breath when they tell you what they charge to re-fit them to use in the GTM... Or at least I did...

This was one of the wish list items for the car that I had already decided that I was going to splurge and make happen. It's coming together!

And... I got a really cool hat!

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I wondered how low I would have to bend down in order to see the radar detector parts.

Standing in front of the car, none of the parts a visible in the nose.

When I bend down a little more I can start to see them. But not much.

I had to get down on my knees to get low enough to take the picture that you could see radar signal receivers and the laser shifter.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Electrical Switches as going to be Sweet!

Ford GT's have switches that look A LOT like mine...!!!

These switches will be implemented into the interior / console design. They'll be used for the windows & the RamLift Pro (momentary), as well as the Hazard and Fog lights (on/off).
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Reverse Camera is also tucked away as much as it can be. When you stand over it, you can't see it. From the sides the strakes block it a bit.

The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

The wiring is pretty much finished (correctly) for the third time. No spaghetti any more. All the grounds have been moved to the bottom side where they can be reached if necessary. The Relays have been moved and re-wired, which allowed the wires to be re-routed and cleaned up (a ton).

Everything will be loomed and held out of the way with rubber clamps. And then the lower close out panels will seal it and clean everything up.

This strand of wires is for the gauges. Labeled and ready to go.

All connections are made as they are supposed to be, and heat-shrink wrapped. Again, they'll be loomed and taped to protect them.

I wish I had known about this guy before... I could have saved close to $30,000.00.

The next car that I build, will definitely have the ISIS system in it. Because there is nothing "Painless" about Painless Wiring.
    Last edited by The Stig; 04-11-2014 at 06:11 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    wiring mess resized.jpgSwitch Panel.jpgit's looking good mike. I like the gauges and ford gt switches. as far as the wiring, these cars are EASY, when compared to aircraft. a lot less wires and at least they're color-coded!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the latest set of renderings to show the Seat treatments. So far, I still don't see one that says to me that "This is the one".

So I think we're going to take the concept and do our own fine tuning.

I'm not sure if I'm being too critical or what... I probably am.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Again with the lines! Personal opinion, but I think a stitch line, or a double stitch lines as the case may be, right where I am going to be resting my arm 90% of the time is not appealing to me. It would be uncomfortable as well as get the stitching covered in body oils probably changing its color. DITCH THE STITCH!
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Again with the lines! Personal opinion, but I think a stitch line, or a double stitch lines as the case may be, right where I am going to be resting my arm 90% of the time is not appealing to me. It would be uncomfortable as well as get the stitching covered in body oils probably changing its color. DITCH THE STITCH!
    Yep. There will be contrast stitching but only on natural seams.

Here are the handles that we'll probably use...

Or maybe these...

What do you think?

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 04-16-2014 at 09:14 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike-

Hey Mike-

I like this one! It just has a nice styling to it. It also seems to offer a nice complement to the drawings you posted. The others seem a bit common to me, when compared to the one below. Just my thought...

Regards,

Steve
    Or maybe these...

What do you think?

Mike[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like
    Version 5 of the Interior...

See Crash, we got rid of some of the Design seams. The Brushed Aluminum Fesler Door releases and the Aluminum Door pulls are going look great! The interior colors are going to be quite a bit lighter than what this rendering shows.

I get why Murray has kept the design stitching in the floor and the doors. But I think that he probably isn't aware that the floor is only 6 inches wide... Ok, I'm being a little sarcastic... But there isn't enough room to be able to pull that off visually.

I'm starting to like the flow. But I'm still not quite there as far as the seats go.

We're getting closer.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 04-16-2014 at 11:13 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mike,

Beatyfull renderings of your interior concept and your instrument panel is super!
    Are you using any of the original interior components and seats or engine cover?
    I found that the contour of the seats and panels dictate where the seams can go and like you mention there is limited space. That seam on the floor could follow the step down on the foot box.
    It's going to be interesting to see how your interior guy makes your interior panels and dash pods , keep us posted with lots of pictures.
    Looking good!

Mike

Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast