BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: More progress made on the body : )

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, as far as the pressure test goes, just buy or fab up a 1.5 inch to 1.25 inch converter, then run a "loop hose" from the water pump inlet to the outlet. If you are running a header tank setup, simply plug the heater hose line and then put a compressed air fitting on one of the tank fittings. Then hook up your air compressor WITH THE REGULATOR SET TO ZERO, and gradually increase pressure to around 15 psi. If you want to put water into the system to help identify any leaks easier, that can be done too. If there are any other inlets/outlets that need to be plugged, of course also plug these. This should show you if there are any obvious leaks before you install the engine into position where it may be difficult to get to to fix.

Stig- I don't know Jesse Bubb from Adam and have never used him, but in his defense, it is simply impossible to tune your ECM to your specific engine without running the engine on either an engine or chassis dyno. He certainly could fix VATS issues and put in a rough tune to get the engine running initially, but a specific tune that is niether too rich or too lean, too rich would be the preference IMHO, would really be impossible to do until the engine is running. Especially if anything like a cam has been changed. Maybe you were expecting too much? Maybe he owes you some dyno time? I don't know what you had worked out with him, but it would probably be best to talk directly with him before posting something negative. I know I would want every chance to make something right before seeing someone posting something negative about me or one of the products my company sells. FYI- When I reconfigured my harness to go from the rear of the engine to the front, there were only a few wires I needed to lengthen, so it won't look all that different, but what is important is if it all fits and works correctly.

As far as Jeff Schwartz, probably same goes there, but I am surprised that nobody mentioned to you, at the least, that there were a couple bolts broken off on the pump. Either they didn't disassemble the pump before welding, which in my book would be a no-no, or they totally dropped the ball on telling you those were broken.
    Last edited by crash; 07-14-2011 at 09:34 AM.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Crash,

I really hadn't intended to make a big deal out of any of this. I vented, and I was done. But since you want to toss it back into my lap, here you go...

As a result of the one conversation I was able to have with Jesse, my expectations were set prior to my sending the computer and harness out to be re-worked. I tried later, on multiple occasions, to contact Jesse to talk to him. Mainly due to that fact that it had taken over two moths at that point, and I had still heard nothing regarding when he would have them finished and shipped. My e-mails, voice mails, and calls were not returned. Apparently he had more important things to do. His wife kept assuring me that it would be shipped soon. (You shouldn't make the assumption that I flew off the handle, and simply decided to pop out a couple of negative posts about the vendors that we use here on the forums. Especially before you know the facts involved.)

As for Jeff Schwartz; I purchased the pump (new) from him. I did so, because he is extremely familiar with how the LS1 pump needs to be used with the GTM. He told me that he had the correct pump, so I bought it from him. He then, replaced the ports with the AN bungs as a service that he offeres through his shop. When I took the pump out, I never noticed any bolts missing or broken. But then again, I was more concerned with the AN fittings that were welded on. Honestly, it really never occured to me that it may have had anything wrong with it, since it was sold to me as a New Pump. I suppose I should have paid closer attention to it before I bolted it onto the engine. (For that, I blame myself).

The difference between Jeff and Jesse (at least in my experience) is that I can call Jeff Schwartz at his shop, and if I tell whoever answers that I really need to speak to him, He'll answer the phone and spend the 2 or 3 minutes that I need to have my question answered. I really have no issue with him or his shop.

The phrase "Live and Learn" has been especially true for me lately. I'm learning quite a lot.

Thanks for your concern.
    Last edited by The Stig; 07-14-2011 at 02:20 PM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Initially, the engine fired up and seemed to run well. However, once it warmed up, and "closed the loop" it started loading up due to poor air/fuel mixture. It is now on it's 3rd set of plugs due to fouling from running so rich.

After sorting through the nightmare that is "MAF Sensor", and finally getting all of the air out of the coolant lines, the engine seems to be running well enough to start re-tuning.

Jeff took the chassis to one of his trusted tuners, who's first words were, "I can get 550 to 600 horse power out of this engine". Thankfully, Jeff told him that I am only looking for a good solid street tune. I want to keep it in the 400 to 450 hp range, because I feel that this will make the engine much more usable/manageable, and the power transfer/traction should be much better. I'm not even sure of the name of the shop that is dyno-tuning the car, but I'm sure that they'll do a good job.

So in any event, here's the GTM on the Dyno running through a 20 mile engine break-in session. This resulted in finding an oil leak cause by one of the valve cover gaskets. That was switched out, and the leak was gone.

Once that was completed, and the air/fuel was adjusted a bit, they did the first real pull which netted around 345 hp. I'm not real familiar with how Dyno's work, but I was told that this Dyno is used mainly for Fords and for whatever reason they differ from Dyno's typically used for Chevrolets.

They'll start tuning it today, and optimize the performance for street use and reliability. If they can get it somewhere between 400-450 hp, I'll be happy with it. But we'll see where it ends up.

I'm out of town, and wasn't able to be there, so I don't have a video to post. It's a shame, because the Kooks Exhaust is on, and I've really been anxious to hear how it sounds. But here's the picture.

If it's done today, (and back at Whitby's) maybe I'll drive up to Greensboro and fire it up for a few minutes.
    Last edited by The Stig; 05-20-2015 at 09:39 PM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Stig - thanks for posting so much, it is great to see your car come together. I think your post really reinforces the need for all of us to get our cars tuned on the dyno or road tuned by a pro when it is in the car. 345 RWHP should be over 400 HP at the crank (405 with 15% drivetrain loss). I think stock LS2s were 400HP from the factory, full exhaust should net a very good increase. If you get a graph of the dyno run, it would be great for you to post with a list of your engine mods, etc.

I am scratching my head on the dyno being used mainly for Ford vs. Chevy - but maybe the comment is referring to the shop and perhaps they tend to do more Ford work? I see a Mustang in the background. Doesn't matter, just a curious detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stig- Certainly wasn't trying to "toss it back at you" or anything like that. It was just unclear from your previous post what you had tried in terms of contacts with these folks, and I was playing the devils advocate. That's all. Sounds like there was definitly a communication issue with Jesse, and if the engine was fouling plugs left and right...well, that's set up pretty rich.

I'm scratching my head about the Ford comment too.

You must be dying to hear this thing run. (?)

I know I would be.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    You must be dying to hear this thing run. (?)

I know I would be.
    Yep. It's coming. We drove up to Greensboro this morning. My wife decided she wanted a new car, so we went up to look at one that she read about. We spent about an Hour listening to the salesman coming up with multiple ways to piss me off. The "Crown" family of Car dealerships seem to leave quite a lot to be desired... I think I'll stick with Rick Hendricks.

When we finished up there, we drove over to Whitby's to see if they had the car back. But no one was home.

So we drove back to Charlotte.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe ran on a mustang dyno vs a dynojet. Mustang dyno's do typically have lower numbers vs a dynojet, but never have heard them being brand loyal ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Yep. It's coming. We drove up to Greensboro this morning. My wife decided she wanted a new car, so we went up to look at one that she read about. We spent about an Hour listening to the salesman coming up with multiple ways to piss me off. The "Crown" family of Car dealerships seem to leave quite a lot to be desired... I think I'll stick with Rick Hendricks.

When we finished up there, we drove over to Whitby's to see if they had the car back. But no one was home.

So we drove back to Charlotte.
    My ordered my last two new vehicle purchases. Less hassle and I got prcisely what I wanted.

My cousin is the sales manager of Vann York Honda in High Point. If the Vann York Auto Mall sales the model I can put you in contact with him.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VD2021 View Post
    My ordered my last two new vehicle purchases. Less hassle and I got prcisely what I wanted.

My cousin is the sales manager of Vann York Honda in High Point. If the Vann York Auto Mall sales the model I can put you in contact with him.
    Actually, I think I have her talked into keeping the CLS and being happy with it for a couple of years. If I replace that car, I'd prefer that it would be with a CLS63, but she doesn't like quite that much power. So after we drove a couple of cars, and then she got back into the Merc, she realized that she has a pretty nice (and safe) car.

So, once again, life is good. (But I'll keep your offer in mind).
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

Dyno Speak...

As I mentioned a few posts back, Jeff has the chassis at his trusted Dyno-Tuner's shop. Today he sent an IM telling me that the 2nd pull (with a mild tune) is now at 362 at the rear wheels. Since there is the theoretical 15% payment to the drive train, I guess it's somewhere around 415 @ the crank.

Part of me is saying to myself that I've reached my goal of 400-450, since I'm at 415 at the crank. But the other side of me is saying that my targets need to be measured at the Rear Wheels. If that's the case, to see 425 at the rear wheels, I'd need to be making somewhere around 475 at the crank. When we start getting in that range, I start to feel that it becomes wasted effort (and Dollars).

The tuner is going to hit it again tomorrow, to see what he can get, but I'm wondering if I really want to go much higher or not.

What does all the Dyno speak really mean? Crank Horse Power, Rear Wheel Horse Power, Ford Dyno, Chevy Dyno etc, etc, etc. Oh yeah, I've also heard that when you run a chevy engine on a dyno that typically runs Fords, you're actually looking at about another 15% above what the numbers show. If that's so, then I'm at about 478 @ the crank...

All I really know for sure, is that I don't really know what the engine is doing yet. Jeff said "It's gonna be SWEET!" So I just nod my head and smile.

One thing I can say with certainty, is that it's making me a little nervous to be running that brand new engine for all it's worth before it's ever even touched any asphalt... Especially when Jeff tells me about his collection of piston chunks that he'd like to show me when i come back up next time...

What are your thoughts? I'd really like to know.
    Last edited by The Stig; 07-25-2011 at 05:40 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I think there is some mis-communication - I don't think it is Ford vs. Chevy. I think that they are using a Mustang dyno (which is a brand of dyno). These dynos read lower than the other popular brand of dynos (DynoJet). I can't fully explain the differences, but the Mustang dyno is generally accepted as being more 'real-world' than a DynoJet. It takes into account vehicle weight and aerodynamic force. But regardless of dyno, they are both just tools that can be used to tune your engine. An increase in HP after tuning is an increase regardless. Don't get too caught up on the number, especially if you are on a Mustang dyno. The proof will be when the car is on the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mmaragos View Post
    I think there is some mis-communication - I don't think it is Ford vs. Chevy. I think that they are using a Mustang dyno (which is a brand of dyno). These dynos read lower than the other popular brand of dynos (DynoJet). I can't fully explain the differences, but the Mustang dyno is generally accepted as being more 'real-world' than a DynoJet.
    LOL!!! Now I get it! I didn't realize "Mustang" was simply the name of the Dyno that this guy uses. Duhhh. I thought it was a type dyno that shops use to Tune Mustangs on... I guess this is just another one of those "live & learn" days. Sometimes you can really feel like an idiot as you go through this "learning" process.

Thanks for the explanation! It sounds as though it's being tuned on the Dyno that makes the most sense for what I'm after then.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    mmaragos is spot on. No two dynos will read alike unless calibrated the same. Do you think everyone goes to the trouble of calibrating their dyno to a standard? I don't think so. As a matter of fact I KNOW they don't. Again, as mmaragos said, so long as the number is going up, it is a good thing.

As far as running it hard on the dyno? Yeah, dynos are typically hard on engines, but you stated that they went through a break in period on the dyno, and this is critical to ensuring that the rings are seated, the cam is seated, etc. It sounds like this dyno guy Jeff is using knows his stuff, and everything will be good.

Again, I would ALWAYS prefer that I am there when engines are being dynoed, but if you have someone you trust, it should be fine.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    As I mentioned a few posts back, Jeff has the chassis at his trusted Dyno-Tuner's shop. Today he sent an IM telling me that the 2nd pull (with a mild tune) is now at 362 at the rear wheels. Since there is the theoretical 15% payment to the drive train, I guess it's somewhere around 415 @ the crank.

Part of me is saying to myself that I've reached my goal of 400-450, since I'm at 415 at the crank. But the other side of me is saying that my targets need to be measured at the Rear Wheels. If that's the case, to see 425 at the rear wheels, I'd need to be making somewhere around 475 at the crank. When we start getting in that range, I start to feel that it becomes wasted effort (and Dollars).

The tuner is going to hit it again tomorrow, to see what he can get, but I'm wondering if I really want to go much higher or not.

What does all the Dyno speak really mean? Crank Horse Power, Rear Wheel Horse Power, Ford Dyno, Chevy Dyno etc, etc, etc. Oh yeah, I've also heard that when you run a chevy engine on a dyno that typically runs Fords, you're actually looking at about another 15% above what the numbers show. If that's so, then I'm at about 478 @ the crank...

All I really know for sure, is that I don't really know what the engine is doing yet. Jeff said "It's gonna be SWEET!" So I just nod my head and smile.

One thing I can say with certainty, is that it's making me a little nervous to be running that brand new engine for all it's worth before it's ever even touched any asphalt... Especially when Jeff tells me about his collection of piston chunks that he'd like to show me when i come back up next time...

What are your thoughts? I'd really like to know.
    Hi Stig...congrats on your progress. Your car looks fantastic. I have been hoping to catch you at Allan's one of these days when you are traveling.

A couple of things:

1) Dyno differences: Dyno's are not brand loyal, but there are differences between different brands of dynos (not to mention whether or not it's calibrated-correction factors used, etc--these are things controlled by the dyno operator however). The 2 most popular dynos are Dynojets and Mustang Dynos (not affiliated with Ford or Mustang the car-it only shares the same name). The Dynojet is the "standard reference" comparing
    rwhp #'s to other cars/builds on the internet (not that you can truly compare #'s from dyno's across the country or even dyno's down the street from each other really. Dyno calibration/operator consistency/weather/altitude/correction factors etc all make differences inevitable.). The Dynojet is an "inertia dyno". The rear wheels (or all wheels if 4wd) spin a drum of known mass and measures acceleration in rpm.

The Mustang Dyno is a "load bearing dyno". You also spin a drum of known mass, however it has the ability to simulate real world driving conditions (one reason it's probably the best for initial pre-WOT tuning for radical combinations). You can also run a Mustang dyno as an inertia dyno and vice versa, but generally Dynojets are run in inertia mode, and Mustang Dynos are run load bearing using an "Eddy Current" electromagnetic motor that can apply drag on the drum based on information entered in the computer. When run in their most common modes, Mustang dyno's almost always show lower rwhp #'s than Dynojets do in inertia mode. How much less? It's impossible to put a % to it as it's not a linear difference. It varies. A lot depends on the dyno operator as well. I used a Mustang dyno while taking the Advanced HP Tuner's course in Florida, and there are many more parameters being entered in during setup than a Dynojet. It was easy to get a 30-50hp swing with simple changes in setup data before ever making a run. The Dyno operator is critical. You generally don't see Mustang Dyno #'s in peoples signatures on the net, they are mostly Dynojet #'s or dyno's like the Dynojet. Doesn't make either right or wrong, but it does make it different. The differences I have personally witnessed between Mustang and Dynojet #'s of known cars (my own and friends), have been on the order of 7-13% depending on the combo. Take those % with a grain of salt. As I mentioned, it can be different for many combos. Also be very clear on the correction factor they are using if they are using any at all: Actual vs. STP/STD vs. SAE - In general engine dynos testing aftermarket engines use STD/STP correction unless SAE is requested (oem use SAE), and Chassis dynos use SAE (*normally*). Very important to know the difference and make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

2) Drivetrain losses: Placing a % on how much power the driveline uses before putting power to the pavement is only valid to that particular known engine/flywheel-clutch/driveshaft (if equipped)/differential-axle/rotor/wheel-tire combination on that particular engine dyno and chassis dyno. Like dyno differences, it's not linear. For example, it's "basically correct" to say c6 z06's have an 11% driveline loss for a bone stock car. (505hp SAE crank vs. 450ish SAE rwhp depending on the car, day, and dyno). However, when the ls7 is modded and makes 650 hp SAE on the engine dyno, and 600rwhp SAE on the dynojet, what's the % difference now? If it was still 11%, the rwhp would have been ~575-580rwhp. But it's not. Now the same exact driveline has a 50hp loss from the engine to the pavement vs. roughly a 55hp loss stock. The drivetrain loss has mostly stayed constant and the 5hp difference could have been due to a slightly lighter clutch, or just variance in the dyno. This example is a real build that happened btw, not theoretical. I only typed it to illustrate that assigning %'s for driveline losses isn't accurate once you start modifying the car.

Your Ls2 is 400hp stock. You should gain 20+hp (conservative) from the kooks and more performance oriented tuning, so expecting ~420 SAE engine hp is totally reasonable. I don't know the driveline loss with the g50/clutch combo you have, but if it was in an otherwise stock c6 you should see ~365-370rwhp SAE. A mild cam swap would put you well over 400rwhp SAE if you wanted to go that route. Even high 400's if you went a little more radical.

Hopefully this sheds light on some things and helps shape your expectations. Best of luck buddy and I can't wait to see your beautiful beast once it's finished.
    Last edited by Stage7; 07-27-2011 at 07:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like this dyno guy Jeff is using knows his stuff, and everything will be good. Again, I would ALWAYS prefer that I am there when engines are being dynoed, but if you have someone you trust, it should be fine.
    Hey Buddy! How's the ride coming along?

My schedule doesn't allow me to drive up to Greensboro as often as I would like, so I have to trust that Jeff understands what I want for my car, and then pursues the same goal.
    Last edited by The Stig; 05-20-2015 at 09:52 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    What happened to Stage 7s post?

The front board said that he had made a post around 10:44 this morning in this thread. At around 11:15 I finally got to see his post, which was a good explaination of the different dynos and such, yet now it is gone again?

Wierd.

It was good stuff, so I hope it gets posted back up.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Buddy! How's the ride coming along?
    Slow. I've been redoing a roof/deck for the last month on my house and haven't had much time for the GTM-R. Richard came down and helped me with demo and underlayment, but it turned into a pretty big project. Anyway, hoping to start back up in the next week or so, but we will see.

I think I might have to pay someone to come and work on this thing for me if I'm ever to have a chance at having it done in a REASONABLE amount of time...

I really just need to get past the bodywork and then things will pick up steam significantly. I still manage to get a bit of work in on it almost every night after it gets dark, but I'm also getting tired of itching every night!!
    Last edited by crash; 07-26-2011 at 03:59 PM.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Slow. I've been redoing a roof/deck for the last month on my house and haven't had much time for the GTM-R. Richard came down and helped me with demo and underlayment, but it turned into a pretty big project. Anyway, hoping to start back up in the next week or so, but we will see.

I think I might have to pay someone to come and work on this thing for me if I'm ever to have a chance at having it done in a REASONABLE amount of time...

I really just need to get past the bodywork and then things will pick up steam significantly. I still manage to get a bit of work in on it almost every night after it gets dark, but I'm also getting tired of itching every night!!
    Seems the house projects and Honey Do list items begin to appear and pile up as soon as you hit the garage, right. My living room is still white and the paint is sitting in the garage. I also noticed my lava rock bed has some weeds and requires a little maintenance. Seems there's never enough time in a day. My wifes in grad school (Evening classes two days/wk form), My son has football practice M,T,Th & F, my daughter has piano on Tuedays and I have a 2 year old with limitless energy. Sometimes I wish there were two or three of me........

Crash,
    I'd really like to see your project. Any photos?
    Last edited by VD2021; 07-27-2011 at 11:50 AM.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife took some, but honestly I didn't have the time to even look at them. 16-18 hour days has been the norm for the last couple weeks on this thing...combined with a day job. I used the Versa Deck Plus system from this manufacturer www.deckcoatings.com. It appears to be a very good product. Many layers of protection. I also used CCA plywood to give an extra bit of protection from pests and water damage. This was a BIG project for me to do alone. About 600 square feet of deck all together. Thanks to the help of my family and Richard Migliori, I finished the last top coat last night. I'll try and get a picture of the finished product, but I am a ways off as I also need to redo the railing, paint the facias, and put down the ridiculously heavy Trex boards over top of the sealed surface.

Good summer project, but I would MUCH rather be working on my GTM-R.

BTW- Looked into having a contractor do the work, but it would have been well over $20k! Yeah, it was a couple weeks of after hours work for me, but certainly not worth paying someone $20k to do. The most important part, the flashing, I had a contractor come in and do.

Sorry for the side track Stig.

Maybe I'll start a new thread "Things we did this summer instead of work on our cars..."
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife took some, but honestly I didn't have the time to even look at them. 16-18 hour days has been the norm for the last couple weeks on this thing...combined with a day job. I used the Versa Deck Plus system from this manufacturer www.deckcoatings.com. It appears to be a very good product. Many layers of protection. I also used CCA plywood to give an extra bit of protection from pests and water damage. This was a BIG project for me to do alone. About 600 square feet of deck all together. Thanks to the help of my family and Richard Migliori, I finished the last top coat last night. I'll try and get a picture of the finished product, but I am a ways off as I also need to redo the railing, paint the facias, and put down the ridiculously heavy Trex boards over top of the sealed surface.

Good summer project, but I would MUCH rather be working on my GTM-R.

BTW- Looked into having a contractor do the work, but it would have been well over $20k! Yeah, it was a couple weeks of after hours work for me, but certainly not worth paying someone $20k to do. The most important part, the flashing, I had a contractor come in and do.

Sorry for the side track Stig.

Maybe I'll start a new thread "Things we did this summer instead of work on our cars..."
    LOL! Not a problem Mike! It's important to be reminded that life isn't 100% about working on the GTM (unless you build them for a living). I had hoped to be able to build an additional 3 car garage to use to finish the GTM (and build the future Mk4 Roadster) while it was away at Whitby's. However, my HOA is playing hardball about the fact that the garage would have to be detached. I absolutely can't stand how some people get a small bit of control, and then try to rule the world with it. We still don't have approval to build it.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I caught a little flack when I built my shop from a couple neighbors, but since there is no HOA in my hood and it was already properly permited, they really couldn't do squat. After I called their attention to the permit I had, after one especially nosey neighbor claimed my building was ILLEGAL, everything settled down and they all turned friendly again. I did spend about double making the structure aesthetically friendly to the neighborhood though. Not only because it was the right thing to do, but it also fit into my plans perfectly. I cut the pad down into a hillside about 15 feet so that the building is hardly visible from the main street.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stage7 View Post
    Hi Stig...congrats on your progress. Your car looks fantastic. I have been hoping to catch you at Allan's one of these days when you are traveling.

Best of luck buddy and I can't wait to see your beautiful beast once it's finished.
    Stage,

It's great to hear from you again. I'm not sure when I'll get back up to Allan's. The project that I had been working on in Southbury, finally wrapped up. Looks like I may be heading to OH (Dublin area) for a while, but I'm not sure yet.

Your post is full of really good information regarding the differences and use of different Dyno Applications. That's exactly what I needed to see in order to start to understand what dyno-tuning really means, and what the realistic results should be.

I'm not really sure what settings they used, STD/STP, SAE, or what. But jeff just called to say that the final pull netted 396 hp at the rear wheels. He says that it's very docile, starts right up and goes into a smooth idle, and then goes like crazy when you step on the gas. And that's exactly what I was after!

I believe "It's Gonna Be Sweet"!

So I'm planning to take my 5 gallon bucket (to sit on) and my driving shoes to Whitby's on Friday.

I'm Stoked!
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Be VERY careful if there isn't a proper seat and seat belts in the car!!
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Be VERY careful if there isn't a proper seat and seat belts in the car!!
    LOL!!!! Calm down. I was joking... I'm just excited that it looks like the engine issue are well sorted. I would imagine that all I'll be doing is listening to the Kooks exhaust for a few minutes. This is a big thing for me. When Jeff called, he seemed about as excited about it as I am. So I'm Stoked.

May have another video tomorrow...

Woooo Hooooo!
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    LOL!!!! Calm down. I was joking... I'm just excited that it looks like the engine issue are well sorted. I would imagine that all I'll be doing is listening to the Kooks exhaust for a few minutes. This is a big thing for me. When Jeff called, he seemed about as excited about it as I am. So I'm Stoked.

May have another video tomorrow...

Woooo Hooooo!
    Outstanding!!! I'm excited too..........
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    The cars is back from the tuner, so my wife & I drove up to Greensboro and finally heard the engine run with the Kooks exhaust. That system sounds goooooooood! I was also able to take a couple of (Go Cart) laps around the Whitby Parking Lot.

Link to the Video: LS2 with Kooks Exhaust.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=isEmrDKxAtk

I love the sound from the Kooks exhaust. It has a nice low rumble at idle, and a really sweet rasp when the revs come up.

The Carbon Fiber Engine cover looks Great! John did a great job, re-working the mounting pins so we could mount it onto the engine. It seems to fit pretty snug, and at the perfect height. I was worried that it was going to block the view through the rear window and hatch. I think it'll be ok now.

Link to the Video: The Whitby 500...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3ref8_K4dJs

I hit the start button, and the engine started right up, and settled into a nice smooth idle. It was very responsive to the gas pedal. If you give it a quick blip, it responds with a quick and crisp rev. It sure sounds good to me! As I drove it through the tight confines of the parking lot, I popped the pedal to see how it reacts while moving. I expected the rear tires to break loose: But they didn't. The car dug in an took off.

Very shortly after that, I got my first chance to test out the Big 6 piston brakes up front. The brakes were almost effortless, but very effective. I think that changing the master cylinders to 3/4" bore was the perfect thing for these brakes. Of course, I've only driven it around the parking lot... So I'll have to see how it feels when we've had a chance to do a couple of highway runs.
    Last edited by The Stig; 05-20-2015 at 09:58 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Lookin' good!!!!! I am soooo green with envy right now!!1
    Cheers, Jeff
    GTM 422, LS6, cam, heads, Mendeola trans

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Oh yeah...........

Sounds very nice Mike.

Getting closer..........
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Stig very nice. I love the way the intake pipes,exhaust and engine cover look. The sound, the sound is just like music to the ears of any gear head.
    Last edited by Kempo; 07-30-2011 at 04:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kempo View Post
    Congratulations Stig very nice. I love the way the intake pipes,exhaust and engine cover look. The sound, the sound is just like music to the ears of any gear head.
    Hey Buddy. I agree. I think the Carbon Fiber cover really gives a great finished look to the engine bay. The Cold air intake wraps around it very cleanly. There's just enough room behind it for the CAI Y-Tube and the Kooks Cross Pipe not to look crowded in the space.

When I'm able to get the Factory Five Badge, Polished Ribs, and the LS2 Emblems on it, I think it'll really pull the engine bay together.

I was really happy with the sound of the Kooks exhaust with the LS2. Since the engine is 100% stock, it gives a nice smooth Rumble, and the Kooks Exhaust gives it an aggressive European sound. Once you rev the engine, you can tell right away that it means business.
    Last edited by The Stig; 09-28-2011 at 02:33 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Not that it matters a whole lot, but here are the spec sheets for the Dyno Tune. 394 hp, with 385 ft/lbs of torque at the rear wheels. It's not overly stellar compared to some of the other monster builds that are going into some of these cars. But it should be very drivable and fun! And it sounds Great! I'm more than happy with it.

Link to the Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=eovwIUakKJo

Last edited by The Stig; 10-11-2011 at 04:52 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds great Stig. Looking good too. It looks nice even with out the body. Did you receive my pm on the Jenvey?

Nice #'s too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stage7 View Post
    It sounds great Stig. Looking good too. It looks nice even with out the body. Did you receive my pm on the Jenvey?

Nice #'s too!
    Hi Roberto.

Thanks for the props! I really appreciate it.

I did get your pm regarding the Jenvey intake system. I haven't had a chance to get into the details, but I plan to.

Thanks Buddy!
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

Back on the Rack!

It's actually happening: The body is being mounted onto the chassis today. Jeff sent a couple of pictures of the main body on the car. I told myself that wasn't going to post anything until it's completely mounted. But I'm too pumped up about it. So here are a couple of pics. It's getting closer.

Pardon the shop dust! It just looks great to me, because they're finally able to mount it!

I'm not sure what they're going to do with all the freed up shop floor space...
    Last edited by The Stig; 08-04-2011 at 03:35 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Stig,
    So when will it be coming home?

Are they going to just mount the body, hatch, hood and hang the doors or will you get it back ready to register/drive?

Not long now...................
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VD2021 View Post
    Stig,
    So when will it be coming home?

Are they going to just mount the body, hatch, hood and hang the doors or will you get it back ready to register/drive?

Not long now...................
    LOL!!! Jeff told me that he was starting to add up the work hours, and he's already gone through the first ink ribbon on his adding machine. Kind of a scary thought...

I think that we're going to have the inspection done at Whitby's. So I should be able to take all paperwork down to the DMV and get the plates for it pretty soon.
    I still have a bit to do. It'll go to Chuck Hanna's (Hot Rod Interiors), in Mooresville, for a full custom interior. But before I can send it there, if have to install the stereo and remote radar detector. At that point, I may be able to call it "Finished" for the most part.

Interior is the next big hurdle. Chuck's not cheap. $$$. We'll see what's left over after I pay Jeff for the extra's (above body & paint). That could determine how long it might be before it's done. I'm actually considering just putting the original interior in, and taking it to Hannah's during the winter.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm actually considering just putting the original interior in, and taking it to Hannah's during the winter.
    Now that sounds like the plan I'd go with........Definitely gets you on the road faster. It also lets you enjoy it throught the fall and you get snow there during the winter, right?
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    We sure did last year! But it's not always a given. In a "normal year we may get 1 to 3 inches. Last year we had 3 or 4 times when we got more than 4" each time. For us, that's a lot.

So I'm not that interested in driving it in the Salt and Snow...

If they can remove the upholstery panels easily enough, (without messing up the Dynamat), I think I may go that route. We'll see.

When you come up, you'll have to stop by.
    Last edited by The Stig; 08-06-2011 at 05:30 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

The Body's Going On!!!!!

I just saw the next milestone coming to life!

Last edited by The Stig; 08-06-2011 at 05:42 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

The C6 (Z06) Big Brake kit. I thought that using these brakes over the C5 brakes would cause the pedal effort needed to
    stop the car to be much higher. It didn't. When I drove Allan Uzwiak's GTM earlier this year, I was really surprised at how
    well the brakes worked, and how good they felt. If I hadn't already bought the C6/Z06 Brake kit, I would have probably
    just had my C5 Calipers rebuilt and used them.

But man, I have to say... I really think I made the right choice by upgrading. Along with the Brake Kit, I also bought a
    complete set of 3/4" bore Master Cylinders. This helped to reduce to amount of pedal effort quite a bit. Also, the 6-Piston
    fronts, and 4-Piston rears gave enough brake power, that they can ease into the braking with light effort. With just a little
    more effort, they really haul down the car to a stop. The pedal feel was a lot like the feel of power brakes. Not quite the
    same feel; but VERY close!

The Carbon Fiber engine cover sits low enough that it does not block the view through the rear window and hatch.
    It really looks nice, and takes away the neon billboard in the engine compartment that screams CORVETTE.
    Especially with the hatch down.

This isn't a wide angle lens sort of photo. The rear of the car, really is this wide.
    Last edited by The Stig; 08-05-2011 at 10:34 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast